** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Group E Predictions > Nov 23rd - Dec 1st

GroupE.jpg

groupefixtures.jpg

There's not a lot separating Spain and Germany in terms of the pre-tournament betting but it's Spain who edge the favourites to top this group tag. It's bad news for Japan and Costa Rica who face a tough battle to qualify for the last 16 but stranger things have happened. Is anyone out there willing to back either of them to pip Spain or Germany into the knockout phase?

• 3 weeks later...

Germany

One of the most successful international football nations of all-time are up in Group E and they will be keen to put the nightmare of 2018 behind them when they exited at the group stage as defending champions. Head coach Hansi Flick isn't in charge of the most talented German team ever but you can never write them off. Die Mannschaft have become a tough team to beat having lost just 1 of their last 16 matches but the fact they have also drawn 5 of their previous 8 games shows they are struggling to kill teams off which could be a problem for this competition. Especially when the main criticism aimed at Germany is that they lack an out and out striker. Gone are the days of Miroslav Klose banging in goals for fun at a World Cup. The inclusion of the duo of Karim Adeyemi and Youssoufa Moukoko will excite Football Manager fans but is it too soon for them to have a real impact? The decision to leave out Timo Werner is a big call and with Thomas Muller in his twilight years you do wonder where the striker power will come from. The team boasts a strong defence and very efficient midfield though so it's going to be interesting to see how far they can go.

Odds to Win World Cup: 11/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 1/8

My Prediction: Last 16

Japan

It's always an intriguing preview when looking at Japan before a World Cup. Down the years, they've had some cracking players such as Keisuke Honda, Kazuyoshi Miura, and Shinji Kagawa but they always seem to struggle to have any real impact at a World Cup. Once again, I look at this Japanese team under Hajime Moriyasu and it's solid enough. Most football fans will recognise a number of players such as Takehiro Tomiyasu, Maya Yoshida, Takefusa Kubo, and Takumi Minamino but there's just a feeling they will struggle to get past the group stage again. Admittedly, this time it's more because of the teams they are grouped with. If there is a Group of Death then this is close to it. This is a Japan side that has kept 5 clean sheets in their last 6 games though and they have earned convincing wins over USA, South Korea, and Ghana in this calendar year. I don't want to seem disrespectful by writing them off because they deserve more than that but it could be yet another case of so near, yet so far.

Odds to Win World Cup: 250/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 3/1

My Prediction: Group Stage

Spain

So many of us have become accustomed to Spain being a team that dominates the possession side of the game over recent years and even though that's not quite the same now as it was 10-15 years ago they are still a fantastic football-playing nation under Luis Enrique. La Roja eased through qualifying ahead of Sweden, Greece, Georgia, and Kosovo and finished top of their UEFA Nations League group that included Portugal, Switzerland, and Czech Republic. Just 1 loss from their last 10 game shows they have every reason to be confident but their 2-1 loss to Switzerland back in September is an example of how they can very easily be beaten by a so-called "inferior" team. You look at this Spanish squad though and it's a brilliant blend of youth and experience. For every Gavi, Pedri, and Nico Williams there is a Jordi Alba, Sergio Busquets, and Koke. Then there's the players that didn't even make this squad such as Sergio Ramos, Marcos Alonso, and Thiago. I think Spain are one of those teams where it wouldn't surprise me if they went all the way. However, I also wouldn't be overly shocked if they bottle jobbed it early on in the knockout stages. Finishing top will be key if they want to avoid a likely last 16 clash with Belgium. Spain have had the better of Germany over recent years including beating them 6-0 in the Nations League as recently as 2020.

Odds to Win World Cup: 8/1

Odds to Qualify from Group: 1/9

My Prediction: Quarter-Finals

Costa Rica

Group minnows is a term I'm reluctant to use in a World Cup because every nation has qualified on merit. It's hard to avoid using that term with Costa Rica though. This is not the same Costa Rica side that stunned the world by reaching the 2014 World Cup Quarter-Finals. Head coach Luis Fernando Suarez has been given the tricky task of transitioning the squad from the last generation to the new. Los Ticos finished 4th in their CONCACAF qualification group meaning they needed to win a one-off play-off against OFC representatives New Zealand. A narrow 1-0 win thanks to a solitary goal from Joel Campbell was enough but it was far from convincing. This is an ageing Costa Rica squad with the likes of Keylor Navas, Oscar Duarte, Bryan Oviedo, Celso Borges, Bryan Ruiz, and Johan Venegas well into their 30s. A bottom place finish in their group at the 2018 World Cup looks like it could be repeated here. Their only real hope of points is against an energetic Japanese side. It could well end up with 0 points for the CONCACAF nation.

Odds to Win World Cup: 750/1

Odds to Qualify from Group 10/1

My Prediction: Group Stage

It's all looking pretty clear cut in Group E with Germany and Spain the firm favourites to progress. I'm fully expecting that to provide us with two solid wins for the European giants in these fixtures with Germany versus Japan followed by Spain taking on Costa Rica. Will either game be a close encounter? I think both will see the favourites needing to work hard for their victories but it should be straightforward enough. Prices are undoubtedly going to be affected by the shocks from Tuesday. It could even be one to back the youngsters to shine with the likes of Youssoufa Moukoko, Karim Adeyemi, Ansu Fati, Pedri, and Gavi all potentially on show.

Germany vs Japan (Wednesday, 1pm GMT)

Germany HT/FT @ 6/5 with SpreadEx

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 4/6 with VBet

Spain vs Costa Rica (Wednesday, 4pm GMT)

Spain to Win to Nil @ 4/7 with BetVictor

Anytime Scorer: Ansu Fati @ 6/5 with Unibet

Germany -1.25 @1.94

Germany HT/FT @ 2.10

The Germans typically begin tournaments strong. The 2018 WC being somewhat of an exception, though the hunger was lacking from the 2014 victory. This squad boasts a plethora of attacking options like Musiala, Gnabry, Havertz and the savvy Muller. Half of the starting lineup play together at Bayern, while Sule was a Bayern player for several years and is familiar with his teammates. The squad was a little stale at last season's Euros. But much of the squad in excellent form with their clubs like Musiala, Hofman and Gnabry. The Japanese have a decent side capable of stringing quality passes together. They're an ageing side, and I wonder how ther likes of Nagatamo will be able to handle Musiala and Gnabry.

Germany vs Japan

Germany has picked up a draw and a win from their two previous games against Japan, both of which produced over 2.5 goals. Die Mannschaft head into the game as the favorite and have won two of their last four matches in all competitions, including a 5-2 win over Italy in the Nations League. There is no doubt that Germany is one of the best football teams in the world, but their recent results haven't been as great as we are used to seeing from them. After all, the team failed to get out of their group at the World Cup in Russia, lost to England in the Euro 2020 Round of 16, and, in the meantime, finished third in their group in the UEFA Nations League, behind Italy and Hungary. Nevertheless, Hansi Flick's side wants to go far in this competition.

Japan has scored 11 goals in their last five matches and looks like a real threat going forward, and we expect the underdogs to test the German defense. After failing to qualify for the World Cup until 1998, Japan has qualified for each World Cup since then, so this will be their seventh appearance on the biggest football stage. The team also established itself as one of the best in Asia, having won the Asian Cup four times, more than any other team. Obviously, Japan's chances in a group with two European giants such as Germany and Spain, are not that high, but this is a solid team with some interesting guys that play in Europe. The Samurai don't want to surrender without a fight, and they will try to avoid defeat here.

Full-Time Winner Odds & Prediction                                                                            

Germany has a nicely-packed team which shouldn't have many problems against Japan. We believe they will meet expectations and possibly book a comfortable win. That's why we will dip into the Asian Handicap market.

Goals Market Prediction

Their two head-to-head clashes were pretty efficient, going over a 2.5 margin. It should be an interesting clash, and the crowd should see at least three goals in total at Khalifa International Stadium.

Germany AH -1 @ 1.75

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.70

Correct score 3:1 @ 12.00

7 hours ago, Gamblor13 said:

Germany -1.25 @1.94

Germany HT/FT @ 2.10

The Germans typically begin tournaments strong. The 2018 WC being somewhat of an exception, though the hunger was lacking from the 2014 victory. This squad boasts a plethora of attacking options like Musiala, Gnabry, Havertz and the savvy Muller. Half of the starting lineup play together at Bayern, while Sule was a Bayern player for several years and is familiar with his teammates. The squad was a little stale at last season's Euros. But much of the squad in excellent form with their clubs like Musiala, Hofman and Gnabry. The Japanese have a decent side capable of stringing quality passes together. They're an ageing side, and I wonder how ther likes of Nagatamo will be able to handle Musiala and Gnabry.

I'm interested to see how a few of the "Football Manager favourites" do in this game. I've had Takefusa Kubo in my Mallorca team a couple of years back when he was there on loan from Real Madrid. Developed an unhealthy level of affection for him so I'm definitely putting a cheeky bet on him as anytime scorer at 7/1 with Bet365. Kubo! Kubo! Kubo! :drums

Olmo to score a system pick for me at 3.3. Torres tempting at exchange prices but I'll swerve (I'm sure my "swerves" are among the most profitable tips posted on here). :)

Been a mixed bag for card totals in this tournament but I've done ok when I've had a go; Costa Rica can be a little on the agricultural side, had the small amount allowed by PP on them getting >2.5 cards at 13/8 and >3.5 at 9/2 with a side order of one in the 1st 15 minutes at 6/1 with Hills (in case they want to put a marker down against their young and skilful opponents).

33 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

Olmo to score a system pick for me at 3.3. Torres tempting at exchange prices but I'll swerve (I'm sure my "swerves" are among the most profitable tips posted on here). :)

Been a mixed bag for card totals in this tournament but I've done ok when I've had a go; Costa Rica can be a little on the agricultural side, had the small amount allowed by PP on them getting >2.5 cards at 13/8 and >3.5 at 9/2 with a side order of one in the 1st 15 minutes at 6/1 with Hills (in case they want to put a marker down against their young and skilful opponents).

Just the 11 minutes to see that one come in, Harry! :cheers

As the group stage goes on, it seems that value is becoming harder and harder to find in these games. Group E provided one of the best set of matches from the first round of group matches with Japan beating Germany in a stunning game before Spain showed their full potential in a dominant performance against Costa Rica. Japan will be hoping to potentially seal their place in the last 16 with a win over a beleaguered and ageing Costa Rica here. I can certainly see that happening. Their two performances in the last games were worlds apart. I will still continue to back my man Takefusa Kubo to score anytime for sentimental reasons! :lol Then it's the massive one between Spain versus Germany. Who will win that one? I certainly expect Germany to bounce back but Spain have had their number over recent years and looked far superior in the first games. Defeat for Germany would see them eliminated at the group stage for a second successive World Cup. Unthinkable, surely?!

Japan vs Costa Rica (Sunday, 10am GMT)

Japan to Win to Nil @ 5/4 with Boylesports

Anytime Scorer: Takefusa Kubo @ 18/5 with BetUK

Spain vs Germany (Sunday, 7pm GMT)

Draw @ 27/10 with SpreadEx

BTTS @ 7/10 with Unibet

Spain vs Germany

While Spain didn't do that well in the last World Cup in Russia, where they reached the Top 16 round only, the team did have good results after at Euro 2020, where they reached the semi-finals, and in UEFA Nations League, where they secured a spot in the final tournament. La Furia Roja opened this tournament magnificently, celebrating a 7-0 victory over Costa Rica. They enter this game with sky-high confidence, knowing they can possibly knock out a big rival already in the group stage. Some of their key players are well in their thirties, and that experience can mean a lot. There are also some younger guys who could make a splash here, like Ansu Fati, Yeremi Pino, Gavi, and Pedri. Another victory could see them securing a top-two finish in Group E.

The German national team didn't have the results that we are used to seeing from them lately, with the team failing to get out of group stages at the previous World Cup and getting out of Euro 2020 in the Top 16 stage. Not even their performances in Nations League were good since Germany was third in the group behind Hungary and Italy. Their start in this tournament was a nightmare, as they spilled all three points against Japan, which made another sensation. Although Die Mannschaft controlled the game in the first half, they threw it all away in just ten minutes. Poor substitutes from Hansi Flick contributed to that outcome significantly, as he opted for keeping the narrow lead rather than going for another goal. Now, the German national team needs to win since all other outcomes will likely see them finishing this campaign after only three matches.

These two teams have squads packed with star players, and it is always tough to predict an outcome. However, Spain has a much better momentum, and their confidence is higher. Also, they trashed Germany 6-0 in 2020, and we think they can book another victory, maybe not so convincing one, but enough for all three points.

Goals Market Prediction

Both teams have a lot of talent in the attacking area of their squads, and we expect to see an efficient match. Germany needs to implement an offensive approach, which will leave enough space for Spain to exploit the opponent’s defensive weaknesses. BTTS Yes seems a reasonable choice for this match.

Spain to Win @ 2.38

BTTS Yes @ 1.60

Correct score 3:2 @ 26.00

Japan vs Spain

Japan will be really disappointed to have followed up that 2-1 win over Germany with a 1-0 defeat against Costa Rica. The Japanese players seemed to think that if they turned up, they would beat Costa Rica due to the fact that their opponents had been trashed 7-0 in their opening game. However, Costa Rica defended manfully and scored with their first and only shot on target in this World Cup and are now in with a chance of progressing into the knockout stage. That result has complicated the situation in Group E, and now all teams have the opportunity to advance to the knockout stage. Despite sitting in 2nd place at the moment, Japan needs to avoid a defeat in this match to keep realistic chances of staying in the tournament.

Spain hasn't qualified just yet and won't want to make the same mistake Japan did in their last game and assume that they will pick up a point. Lusi Enrique's side has 4pts on the board after a win against Costa Rica and a draw with Germany but should go on to pick up at least the point they need against Japan if they play similarly to how they did in the opening two matches. Spain scored seven goals without replay against Costa Rica on matchday 1, and three of their last five games have ended with at least three goals being scored. La Furia Roja is close to clinching the top spot finish in the group stage, but they need to guard themselves against complacency.

Although Japan shouldn't be underestimated, Spain has a much more quality roster. We don't think the European team will allow any surprises, and they might win by more than a goal.

Goals Market Prediction

Japan will focus on its quick transition, which might endanger Spain's goal. We should see an entertaining match with at least three goals in total.

Spain AH -1 @ 1.65

Over 2.5 FT @ 1.75

Correct score 1:3 @ 12.00

I think a lot of us had this group down as being done and dusted with a simple Spain and Germany qualification but Japan's win over Germany in the opening round and then Japan's loss to Costa Rica has blown things wide open. Even Spain, who won their opening game 7-0 against Costa Rica, are not safe yet. If Japan and Costa Rica both win then we've got some upsets on our hands! I can't help but feel we've seen the best of Japan and Costa Rica already though. I think Spain will be business-like and efficient against Japan to see them off. I also feel Germany should have enough to get a solid win over Costa Rica. Fingers crossed, we see no surprises on Thursday! Oh, and yes, I am slamming down my Takefusa Kubo bet because I'm a sentimental sap! I urge you to not follow that one though! :lol Kubo! Kubo! Kubo! :drums

Japan vs Spain (Thursday, 7pm GMT)

Spain to Win & BTTS @ 5/2 with Bet365

Anytime Scorer: Takefusa Kubo @ 17/2 with VBet

Costa Rica vs Germany (Thursday, 7pm GMT)

Costa Rica +3 @ 21/20 with Bet365

Total Goals Scored Under 3.5 @ 10/11 with 10Bet