TV pundits and presenters

Did anyone see the interview that ‘Ollie Bell’ gave Nick Henderson after the Altior defeat. Talk about jumping in with size 9’s, comments like, ‘are you thinking of retiring Altior now’ after getting beaten by Sham Blue. How insensitive and idiotic these interviewers are sometimes, even the forthright Matt Chapman gave him a dig the following day ‘on air’ regarding it.

Its great when you watch, listen and mostly enjoy such presenters as, Ruby, AP, Luke, Fitz, and Weaver and even experienced commentators such Hoiles and Catermole. They at least know what they’re talking about from experience. But your Rishad’s & Bell’s that just talk well, need to brush up on their horse racing knowledge and tactfulness, especially when interviewing top trainers. Ollie Bell is only there because of his brother being an average trainer.
I thought the ITV boys may have learnt a lesson from Lydia Hislop’s awful seat squirming battering of Hendo the other week coincidently about Altior.

Dear oh Dear.

Regards Doug 

That Lydia Hislop interview was rather uncomfortable, but fair play to her for putting it out there. Henderson had every right to remove Altior if it was for genuine concerns of the ground and the welfare of the horse, but it needed to be asked I thought. He can do as he pleases as he’s Altiors trainer and he’s Nicky Henderson. What we did learn from Altior at Kempton is that he more than likely would have got beat in the Tingle Creek, which was a stronger race than the desert orchid . Personally I thought Nicky didn’t fancy the tingle creek as he thought he wouldn’t win, but then got beat at Kempton anyway. 

9 minutes ago, yossa6133 said:

I just watch the races most of the time to be honest, same with football, mute the presenters! I like McCoy and Walsh. Trainers will usually put you wrong if you listen to them anyway.

Can’t even watch footie now . Too much money involved and the fans come last. Season ticket holder at the villa and don’t think I’ll be going back. Had enough of it pre COVID , but VAR added another nail into a coffin already full of nails . Not watched one game this season even though we are doing really well. 

1 hour ago, yossa6133 said:

I just watch the races most of the time to be honest, same with football, mute the presenters! I like McCoy and Walsh. Trainers will usually put you wrong if you listen to them anyway.

Can't stand McCoy , he's too Magniers biased for my liking .

Weaver & Harvey on the Get In show when it was At The Races was great viewing , been reigned in now Sky Sports Racing have taken over.

Not a fan of Chapman , too much up his own a*se .

Next time ( fingers crossed ) you are at a race meeting & if ITV are covering it all the pundits will be glued to their phones rather than paying any attention to the race or the big screen while the race is on , weird to see !

Chappers is like marmite  you ever love him or hate him - personally I prefer him when he's presenting on Sky rather than ITV, Darrell Williams is fairly decent when hes on stateside duty particularly if hes on with Peter Fornantale 

does anyone know what happened to Mike Cattermole yesterday commentating at Lingfield wasnt watching yesterday only caught wind he wasnt too great with Luke Harvey reportedly calling Lingfield racing on sky?  while on subject of callers I do really like both Richard Hoiles and Mark Johnston when calling find them very clear both on ITV races and Sky / Racing TV i do quite like listening to Derek Thompsons commentary 

48 minutes ago, ipswich45 said:

Chappers is like marmite  you ever love him or hate him - personally I prefer him when he's presenting on Sky rather than ITV, Darrell Williams is fairly decent when hes on stateside duty particularly if hes on with Peter Fornantale 

does anyone know what happened to Mike Cattermole yesterday commentating at Lingfield wasnt watching yesterday only caught wind he wasnt too great with Luke Harvey reportedly calling Lingfield racing on sky?  while on subject of callers I do really like both Richard Hoiles and Mark Johnston when calling find them very clear both on ITV races and Sky / Racing TV i do quite like listening to Derek Thompsons commentary 

Mike Cattermole suffered from some vertigo, his job not under threat from Luke Harvey ? he did try try his best though!

Edited by yossa6133

I find most of the commentators too sycophantic, at least Chapman will ask the awkward questions sometimes and question the poor running of a horse.

I think some trainers and jockeys refuse to be interviewed by certain presenters.

It works the other way around, Emma Spencer was due to interview the winner of a race but it turned out to be Hayley Turner who just happened to be having an affair with Jamie Spencer, Emma's husband ! That would have been a rather frosty interview.

I never watch ITV ........ and to be honest these days I tend to just tune in on Sky or RTV for the races that I've noted that are worth watching. I make a list in the morning of any races I want to watch. If I turn on too early I mute the sound until the gates open ............ then I switch off or over as soon as they cross the winning line (unless it's a photo finish or obvious Stewards enquiry ......... then I'll leave it on for the result)

I don't care what the pundits think and I certainly don't want to hear trainers and jockeys saying 'he's a nice horse'

About the only thing I do watch that isn't actual races is the Sunday morning Debate on Sky

I used to enjoy the evening shows from Kempton on RTV with Angus and Willoughby or Rishi or Ollie with Rachel ....but that's ruined now that they have Chelmsford and Dundalk  ..... there's rarely an evening meeting where they have time to chat about racing and have some fun....... too many races

9 hours ago, Trotter said:

I used to enjoy the evening shows from Kempton on RTV with Angus and Willoughby or Rishi or Ollie with Rachel ....but that's ruined now that they have Chelmsford and Dundalk  ..... there's rarely an evening meeting where they have time to chat about racing and have some fun....... too many races

Tonight's Kempton show might be OK ........ no other racing !