** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Premier League Predictions > Dec 19th - 21st

Burnley vs Wolves

The Premier League action continues into Monday this week and the first of the remaining two fixtures to be played before Christmas is scheduled for 5:30pm GMT when a resurgent Burnley host an inconsistent Wolves at Turf Moor. The home team will be looking to get at least a point to move back out of the relegation zone but they will have to beat a resilient travelling side to do so.

Burnley might have had a terrible start to their campaign but their form is improving. Sean Dyche's men are back in the bottom three after Fulham's draw away to Newcastle over the weekend but it's now just 1 loss in their last 6 league games including going their last 3 league matches unbeaten. The Clarets have only conceded 1 goal in their last 296 minutes of league football but scoring goals is still a laborious task. Burnley have only scored 6 goals in their 12 league matches thus far. The statistics from their last game suggest that they were lucky to come away from their match against Aston Villa with a 0-0 draw but it's this dogged approach to games that is helping to drag them out of the mess they were in.

Wolves had big hopes for this season with no European football as a distraction but it's been slightly disappointing so far. Nuno Espirito Santo's side are in 11th place and 6 points off the top four. The 2-1 win against Chelsea in midweek was a fantastic response to the back-to-back defeats suffered against Liverpool and Aston Villa where Wanderers failed to register a goal in either game. 7 of the last 10 Wolves games have seen less than 2.5 goals scored so I'm not expecting a thrilling display here. Especially when you consider that Wolves have failed to score in 3 of their last 5 away league matches.

OK, so I don't want to cast a dour tone on this game but we have the worst attack in the division (yes, even worse than Sheffield United!) in Burnley taking on a side that are renowned for their low-scoring matches. Burnley are a much-improved side in recent weeks but the last game showed they have been riding their luck. I just can't tell which Wolves team will turn up though. They're missing Raul Jimenez and until they find a prolific replacement during his absence then they'll continue to struggle to score goals. The last game against Chelsea certainly seemed a rare exception. I feel a draw is the best value here. Awful odds on less than 2.5 goals scored but I still have to back it.

Draw @ 3.25 with Unibet

Total Goals Scored Under 2.5 @ 1.58 with SBK

Chelsea vs West Ham

It's an all-London affair for the final Premier League game before Christmas Day when Chelsea take on West Ham in an 8pm GMT start on Monday night at Stamford Bridge. Both of these teams have flirted with the Champions League qualification places over recent weeks but have slightly dropped off the pace. Can they get back in amongst the leading contenders with a win in this game?

Chelsea were starting to look like genuine title contenders with a solid defensive base to their game. Unfortunately, just 1 win in their last 4 league games including back-to-back losses to Everton and Wolves have seen them fall away from the top four. The Blues are now in 8th place and 4 points off the top four. Frank Lampard's side will be looking to get back to a winning habit and have the second best attacking record in the top flight to rely on. It's now 26 goals scored in their 13 league games played. The fact that only Aston Villa have conceded fewer goals this season shows that Chelsea aren't doing a lot wrong. Olivier Giroud continues to impress as well bagging 7 goals in his last 7 appearances for the club.

West Ham are exceeding expectations this season with David Moyes now getting close to the best out of his talented group of players. The Hammers come into this game in 10th place but just 5 points outside the top four. Just 1 loss in their last 6 league games has also seen the club win 4 of those matches as they've moved on up the league table. One of the shining lights of this rise up the table has been the form of striker Sebastien Haller who has now scored 7 goals in all competitions. His acrobatic effort to grab a 1-1 draw against Crystal Palace in midweek was a particular highlight. The fact West Ham have scored in each of their last 12 league games shows that they're an attacking force to be reckoned with now.

I'm excited for this game. We have two of the most dynamic attacks in the Premier League going head-to-head with a chance to move closer to the lucrative Champions League qualification places. I feel Chelsea could have the edge but these games against the so-called "better sides" are the ones that West Ham thrive in under Moyes. West Ham have only lost 1 of their last 5 away league games but they play a Chelsea team that are unbeaten at home in their last 5 matches. I'm swaying towards a Chelsea win but it's going to be a tough game. I'm nervous that West Ham could sneak a draw but think a one goal win for Chelsea is more realistic.

Draw (Chelsea -1) @ 3.80 with Unibet

BTTS @ 1.79 with SBK

Something really strange going on in the league this season. Most teams are defending quite poorly.

Man City are winning ugly, not playing particularly well.

Tottenham are playing Jose negative ball, which is a style that just does not suite a squad full of excellent players. Open the gates, let them play. DO you really want Kane and Son tracking back ... or scoring goals? Last two games 4 goals conceded just 1 scored. Forget Mo's comments on the Liverpool game. They were dominated and deserved to lose it.

Man United had a dream game against Leeds. The 2 goals in 5 minute start settled the game, and made Leeds chase. Perfect! But at least Ole did not go defensive. I think he knows that they can't defend, and the best form of defense is attack.

Liverpool, even without van Dijk, look like the best defensive team of the top 5. 

Chelsea have an unbelievable squad, full of quality, but they are not good defensively. They keep giving up sloppy goals, and dropping points that they should not. Can they keep a clean sheet against West Ham today. Methinks not!  I quite like the away double chance on West Ham today.

Yeah, I'm was very tempted by the West Ham double chance but I think this might be a game too far for them. They do have a habit of grinding out results against the better teams under Moyes but I feel Chelsea have faltered lately and could hit back here. Interested to see how this one goes.

3 hours ago, harry_rag said:

In the later game I'm on Mount to score at 5.8 on BF, to do so from outside the area at 20/1 with 888 and to have a shot on target from outside the area at 5/2 with PP.

The 5/2 shot lands, might make that my new thing rather than the scorer bets! Just need a snappy name for the bet, “shoutside”maybe, or “SoTFOtB”. All suggestions welcome. :)