** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Naps - Friday 2nd Oct

6 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

4.45 Nc Dreamweaver one point win at  10/3 with Betvictor

So guess what?  I was feeling guilty about putting up long shots for this comp and elected for the above horse that was slowly away and finished 5th beaten 2.25 lengths.  Under racing chat I selected and bet on Stone Circle at 50/1.  It won by a nose at a returned SP of 16/1.  I had to endure a 25p Rule 4, I think because Musicality and another horse had been withdrawn before the race was off.  Anyway, I'm not holding back from now on and will apply a "nags to riches" approach to my selections.  For anyone interested I selected Stone Circle because Ray Dawson was on it claiming a five pounds allowance.  I also backed Ebury in the 3.05 at Ascot for the same reason; no one would have complained about that.  Sad that it finished 6th at 100/30.  So which was the best horse out of the two to back????

As an aside to this I find it simply amazing that the big boys seem to know when a horse has won, even by a nose!  Whilst everyone was waiting for the result of the photo I checked on Betfair and about £32k was matched at 1.01 for Stone Circle whilst the shortest odds available for Fresh were 1.04 at a much lesser sum.  How can these people seemingly KNOW which horse has won before a print is produced?

2 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

So guess what?  I was feeling guilty about putting up long shots for this comp

Nobody is bothered what tactic you use in the comp, I dont care if you chase the most winners prize by backing odds on shots or use a sharp pin every day and pick a 66/1 shot.

You asked all sorts of questions in the General Chat thread about stats and websites for the best info, you were chuffed when you got Timeform ratings for free and then you just back a horse because of a certain jockey is flavour of the month. Wasn't it Kevin Stott last month?

Go for it mate, whatever takes your fancy for this month, please dont let me make you feel guilty. Let's get some winners!!

:clap

30 minutes ago, BillyHills said:

Nobody is bothered what tactic you use in the comp, I dont care if you chase the most winners prize by backing odds on shots or use a sharp pin every day and pick a 66/1 shot.

You asked all sorts of questions in the General Chat thread about stats and websites for the best info, you were chuffed when you got Timeform ratings for free and then you just back a horse because of a certain jockey is flavour of the month. Wasn't it Kevin Stott last month?

Go for it mate, whatever takes your fancy for this month, please dont let me make you feel guilty. Let's get some winners!!

bit concerned that it is possible to win the comp by not betting, it crossed my mind when i was clear mid month to just stop and see what happens then i thought, thats not in the "spirit of the competition" it reappeared when someone went top by not having a bet in the last few days.

11 hours ago, BillyHills said:

Sorry mate, just airing some frustration.  I am now looking at all the top in form jockeys and apprentices.  To some extent I feel that the public is being hood winked in racing.  There was a race yesterday the 5.20 at Nc where Ben Curtis was aboard Spantik.  It was rubbished by the RP and no expert selected it. It then romped home at 13/2 (opened 17/2).  Very tricky to spot winners like this.  However, I will persevere with this as I know that this is the best strategy of finding winners at prices where the winners have to pay for the losers. 

Ps, I am grateful for you highlighting the Timeform ratings by using the plugin on google chrome.  I use it every day.

Edited by The Equaliser