** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Horse Racing back at Newcastle Mon 1st June.

It felt like an age waiting for Racing to get the nod again. But I have to ask myself have the horses been in some kind of training in the past 2 months or so?

Will this affect a trainers routine? For example - Will his or her horses be ready or not or will they just race them just for the sake of just giving them a run?

So many questions to ask because I am worried that stats from previous seasons (lets say if you have a system based on Newcastle top trainers) may take a different turn this time around.

Okay, that's the negative done so I have been trying to look for a positive angle on this.

Because racing has been out for the last 2 months or so, I have convinced myself that trainers need to bring some badly needed money home. They may not have had much time to train their horses since they knew racing was back on the 1st of June but neither has any other trainers. The point being here is, or the point I want to believe is that it won't be as negative as I have been making out. It may take a bit of time to settle down but I am going with the angle that trainers need to bring home some winners so it won't affect the stat trends of the past. I would love to hear your views on this.

For what it's worth I have been doing some research on HorseRaceBase at Newcastle. I have gone with the Forecast Favourites and Trainer/Jockey combination with other factors thrown in as well. I try not to back-fit systems too much for obvious reasons but many of my systems have gone with the stats. Some work and some don't as we all know.

So, this is what I came up with. It may look like an unbelievable strike rate but these horses are forecast favourites and have been consistent from 2017. I can't say the same about some other track favourites but it looks like Newcastle is a good hunting ground.

148723991_HRB-NewcastleStats.png.4d0bc52917fddc4868572cc59352b3fd.png

The '5 Day Decs' are out for Monday at Newcastle ...... 369 horses entered in 8 races

The highest grade of race is a Class 3 handicap over 12 furlongs

No two year old race

One thing to bear in mind is that races up to a Mile are run on a straight track ... I think it's always handy to see which horses in a race have 'straight track form' because it is different to running around a bend

7 minutes ago, Trotter said:

The '5 Day Decs' are out for Monday at Newcastle ...... 369 horses entered in 8 races

The highest grade of race is a Class 3 handicap over 12 furlongs

No two year old race

One thing to bear in mind is that races up to a Mile are run on a straight track ... I think it's always handy to see which horses in a race have 'straight track form' because it is different to running around a bend

Thank you Trotter for that information. I will be checking the qualifiers over the weekend when HRB has its 48 hour decs. A very useful piece of information indeed.

Regards

20 minutes ago, TheLoneBettor said:

Thank you Trotter for that information. I will be checking the qualifiers over the weekend when HRB has its 48 hour decs. A very useful piece of information indeed.

Regards

I think they are doing 72hr decs for the first couple of weeks after lockdown.

Its to give people plenty of notice, so we might get the runners early.

11 hours ago, TheLoneBettor said:

It felt like an age waiting for Racing to get the nod again. But I have to ask myself have the horses been in some kind of training in the past 2 months or so?

Will this affect a trainers routine? For example - Will his or her horses be ready or not or will they just race them just for the sake of just giving them a run?

So many questions to ask because I am worried that stats from previous seasons (lets say if you have a system based on Newcastle top trainers) may take a different turn this time around.

Okay, that's the negative done so I have been trying to look for a positive angle on this.

Because racing has been out for the last 2 months or so, I have convinced myself that trainers need to bring some badly needed money home. They may not have had much time to train their horses since they knew racing was back on the 1st of June but neither has any other trainers. The point being here is, or the point I want to believe is that it won't be as negative as I have been making out. It may take a bit of time to settle down but I am going with the angle that trainers need to bring home some winners so it won't affect the stat trends of the past. I would love to hear your views on this.

For what it's worth I have been doing some research on HorseRaceBase at Newcastle. I have gone with the Forecast Favourites and Trainer/Jockey combination with other factors thrown in as well. I try not to back-fit systems too much for obvious reasons but many of my systems have gone with the stats. Some work and some don't as we all know.

So, this is what I came up with. It may look like an unbelievable strike rate but these horses are forecast favourites and have been consistent from 2017. I can't say the same about some other track favourites but it looks like Newcastle is a good hunting ground.

148723991_HRB-NewcastleStats.png.4d0bc52917fddc4868572cc59352b3fd.png

Good luck with this. Is there any logic in picking these trainers / jockeys ?

Think At The Races & The Racing Post who are printing a paper version for shops on Monday are all over this story & rightly so,  however it's not been given the green light by the Government yet so until they're lining up in the stalls I will curtail my excitement.

I think after a few false dawn's South African racing returns on Monday as well , a bumper congestion day on Sky Sports Racing ?

9 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Good luck with this. Is there any logic in picking these trainers / jockeys ?

Yes. I normally go back only 3 plus the current season for Trainer/Jockey combinations. In the example below of the yearly breakdown I have gone back a further year. It looks like All Weather Racing has only been running at Newcastle since 2016.

2070695956_HRB-NewcastleStatsSince2016.png.439b281f9dde0e04a92a7e6d90abf751.png

3 hours ago, calva decoy said:

Think At The Races & The Racing Post who are printing a paper version for shops on Monday are all over this story & rightly so,  however it's not been given the green light by the Government yet so until they're lining up in the stalls I will curtail my excitement.

I think after a few false dawn's South African racing returns on Monday as well , a bumper congestion day on Sky Sports Racing ?

I just hope my thread hasn't been in vain, calva. lol.

Regards

5 hours ago, calva decoy said:

a bumper congestion day on Sky Sports Racing ?

Not sure if the safety protocols have a limit on the number of races at a meeting but if not we could be in for a 10 or 12 race card at Newcastle as several of the races could be divided into 2 Divisions with the number of entries

1 hour ago, Darran said:

Given the government are so keen to get things going again ASAP I would be surprised if they don’t give the go ahead tomorrow when they are set to announce if we can go to the next stage or not

Given that Racing has made such detailed preparations I expect they must have been given the nod behind the scenes

As the Government is getting so much flak for being late into lockdown compared to other countries I think they are just nervous about easing restrictions and having a second surge of deaths...... then they'd be getting flak for being too early out of lockdown !

That's probably why they want to wait until the last minute before making a public announcement ...... just to make sure the 'graphs' are still on a downward trend

9 hours ago, Trotter said:

Not sure if the safety protocols have a limit on the number of races at a meeting but if not we could be in for a 10 or 12 race card at Newcastle as several of the races could be divided into 2 Divisions with the number of entries

I believe there will be up to 10 races and pretty sure the limit of 12 horse races is still happening. The other factor is the stabling of horses as a meeting can only have as many runners as stables.

So glad we’ve got some Uk racing to go over. But tricky , and I don’t usually bother with AW anymore, but will certainly been having a look. Horses that go well after a break, and trainers that usually hit the ground running i’ll be looking at. And of course AW and course form in particular. 

I've just had a look on the British Horse Racing Authority (BHA) website and the entries are out for Newcastle Mon 1st June. Here is a link. 

https://www.britishhorseracing.com/racing/fixtures/upcoming/entries/#!/2020/18997/ 

Lol, the 1.00pm race says a maximum of 12 runners but 57 have entered. I think I will wait for the numbers to come down before trying to find something here. In fact all 8 races have a maximum of 12 runners. Lets hope it goes ahead.

There will be 10 races of 12 runners at Newcastle, including 2 races split.

Kempton Tuesday are having 9 races, again12 runners in each so could split some.

Ascot will allow many more, up to 24 in big handicaps I believe.

Field sizes – the following will apply:

• All non-Pattern and Listed races will be limited to 12 runners per race. This reflects risk modelling that indicates that field sizes of 12 or fewer in non-Pattern and Listed races reduces the risk to participants on the track. Even though more races have been programmed at each fixture than would normally be the case, we recognise that this will increase competition for places. This will be reviewed at the end of the first week of racing.
  • Pattern and Listed races will not be limited to 12 runners. These races will be subject to the existing maximum field size limits, or any other limit imposed by the racecourse at which the races are to be held. Again, this decision is based on risk modelling, which indicates that Pattern and Listed races are less likely to involve an incident.

•  

I have just been searching for win strategies on HRB lately but I have just started to notice the Place P/L and  Place ROI% on some of my finds quite impressive. So yesterday and today I have been system building with a few strategies. Again, I have used Newcastle.

Finding double figured odds winners is hard enough but for a Place, it quite surprised me. I will be taking precautions to this approach (I will be halving my normal stakes for now until I know things have settled down) for obvious reasons. 

I have done a combination of Stallions, Trainers and Jockeys. The Forecast price range starts at 11 to 34. Sounds a bit cuckoo land doesn't it lol? But I am place betting on Betfair. Here is what I found. What I found impressive was Plc%(BF) is 49.73%. I just hope I have some qualifiers so I can give it a go.

5.thumb.png.92c519e4546d3110de92000ea622733b.png

1 hour ago, PunterPhil said:

Lone, in HRB can you see Going stats for stallions progeny? That would be useful to check when it comes to turf.

I take it you took the free trial then, Phil. I've got some systems for stallions on certain goings. The best stats produced for me were looking at stallions who were good on heavy ground so this system works best on NH racing. However, you have a good point and that will be something for me to ponder in the near future.

Regards

5 minutes ago, TheLoneBettor said:

Racecard is out for Newcastle 1st June https://www.britishhorseracing.com/racing/fixtures/upcoming/racecard/#!/2020/18997

Looks like I have a few qualifiers to work around.

The BHA site appears to be missing the last 2 races ..... the Racing Post has 10 races on the card

Reminder that in between the Newcastle races the French 1000 and 2000 Guineas are being run at Deauville on Monday afternoon .... should be on Sky Sports during the Newcastle coverage

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

The BHA site appears to be missing the last 2 races ..... the Racing Post has 10 races on the card

Reminder that in between the Newcastle races the French 1000 and 2000 Guineas are being run at Deauville on Monday afternoon .... should be on Sky Sports during the Newcastle coverage

I've just noticed that now. I'm looking at ATR at the moment and they also are showing 10 races. I might stop using BHA.

Friday Night & still no government go ahead for the horses or greyhounds for Monday.

Just perused Newcastle's card & there's a few lucky trainers will multiple entries in each race.

100 R.Fell ( 3 )

210 K.Burke ( 2 )

320 P.Midgley ( 2 )

430 R.Cowell ( 2 )

505 P.Kirby & M.Johnston ( 2 )

615 M.Johnston & R.Fahey ( 2 )

Must have been a nightmare for the people deciding who gets an entry but Roger Fell 3 in the 100 , hmmm , could have been fairer !

Two Group 1's from Deauville 250 & 325 same day , typical , be at work !