** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

early price database?

It seems that a huge amount of past data is available concerning horse races. The the trainers, the jockeys the going - all that kind of stuff in amazing detail (e.g. using proform). This is great for building and testing horse race prediction systems, but when it comes to historical odds, there is a dearth of information, especially with regard regular (non-exchange) bookmakers. It seems that the industry SP is all you can get. Does anyone know of a source of historic bookmaker prices at any times earlier than the race start time? I'd love to back-test what would happen if I placed my bets early in the morning. I did actually find one source but there was no information about rule4 reductions so the information was as good as useless.

Welcome to the PL @HenryTD

You have to ask yourself who would have such information - the bookmakers themselves

So why would they arm the punter with more ammo?

We keep a track on our tips prices, taking 3 checkpoints.

When we back them (6pm), in the morning (9am) and SP 

All I can say is that its slightly in favour of taking a price as early as possible, depending on how good you are at picking winners of course!

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I had a look at some proofing websites to see what they do about rule-4 deductions and saw that on BetFan.com they use the approximation of assuming that the odds at the time of withdrawal are equal to the odds in the betting forecast. This seems quite reasonable. Though now I have a the obvious followup question:

Are historical betting forecast odds available anywhere?

58 minutes ago, HenryTD said:

I had a look at some proofing websites to see what they do about rule-4 deductions and saw that on BetFan.com they use the approximation of assuming that the odds at the time of withdrawal are equal to the odds in the betting forecast. This seems quite reasonable. Though now I have a the obvious followup question:

Are historical betting forecast odds available anywhere?

Sporting Life has forecast odds dating back to 2005.

Click the link below then select "Full Results"

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing

Choose the date you require on the calendar icon to the right

Choose the race then click "result"

Then click "Racecard" on the red bar. :ok

13 minutes ago, Escaping Captivity said:

Sporting Life has forecast odds dating back to 2005.

Click the link below then select "Full Results"

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing

Choose the date you require on the calendar icon to the right

Choose the race then click "result"

Then click "Racecard" on the red bar. :ok

Unfortunately the forecast in SL is dynamic so it reverts to the SP after the race.

I think @HenryTD requires the pre-race forecast

Edited by Valiant Thor

I think Escaping Captivity was right in the first place. Take a look at this old result for example:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards/2015-07-14/bath/racecard/167321/bath-chronicle-fillies-handicap

You see it includes the forecast:

Lead A Merry Dance (2/1), You're My Cracker (4/1), Free To Love (5/1), Princess Tansy (11/2), Verus Delicia (IRE) (8/1), Marjong (9/1), Dangerous Age (10/1), Gower Princess (12/1)

Critically, it includes the non-runner "Verus Delicia (IRE) (8/1)". That's perfect. This can be used to make an approximate rule-4 deduction.

Critically, it includes the non-runner "Verus Delicia (IRE) (8/1)". That's perfect. This can be used to make an approximate rule-4 deduction.

An approximate R4 deduction!! Off a sporting life betting f/c

why cant you get the proper R4 deduction from here;

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/results///E/7886742/thisDate/2015/7/14///2%3a35+Bath.html

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 18.20.12.png

8 hours ago, HenryTD said:

I think Escaping Captivity was right in the first place. Take a look at this old result for example:

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards/2015-07-14/bath/racecard/167321/bath-chronicle-fillies-handicap

You see it includes the forecast:

Lead A Merry Dance (2/1), You're My Cracker (4/1), Free To Love (5/1), Princess Tansy (11/2), Verus Delicia (IRE) (8/1), Marjong (9/1), Marjong (10/1), Gower Princess (12/1)

The forecast is exactly the same as the sp or did you not notice that :eyes

so that would make the 8/1 for Veruc Delicia wrong as it did not run

So he is not right

As for R4 if its 10p in the pound just multiply the net by .9 then add your stake

How hard is that

BH wonders why discussion is dying on this forum

I wonder why

Heres the R4 deductions

Odds Deduction
1/9 or shorter 90p (in £)
2/11 to 2/17 85p
1/4 to 1/5 80p
3/10 to 2/7 75p 
2/5 to 1/3 70p
8/15 to 4/9 65p
8/13 to 4/7 60p
4/5 to 4/6 55p
20/21 to 5/6 50p
Evens (1/1) to 6/5 45p
5/4 to 6/4 40p
13/8 to 7/4 35p
15/8 to 9/4 30p
5/2 to 3/1 25p
10/3 to 4/1 20p
9/2 to 11/2 15p
6/1 to 9/1 10p
10/1 to 14/1 5p

Edited by Valiant Thor

Re: "so that would make the 8/1 for Veruc Delicia wrong"

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong? What do you think the 8/1 corresponds to if it's not the forecast odds? Maybe it is the actual odds at the time of withdrawal? If that's the case it's even better.

Edited by HenryTD

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse the late reply, Ive had other things more important to attend to.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:06 AM, HenryTD said:

Re: "so that would make the 8/1 for Veruc Delicia wrong"

I'm not sure what you mean by wrong? What do you think the 8/1 corresponds to if it's not the forecast odds? Maybe it is the actual odds at the time of withdrawal? If that's the case it's even better.

The reason comparing the R4 above with the market is wrong is that  it is the price when it was withdrawn , then the market is reformed so you cannot make any realistic comparison with the SP market from the example above.

You have to compare it with the full market at the exact time of its withdrawal, which you do not have.

As the removal of a horse can vastly effect the the shape of a market,whatever calculations you are attempting  will have no significant relevance.