** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

August 1 - August 7

Back Francesca Schiavone to beat Zhaoxuan Yang for a 7/10 stake at 1.50 with Paddy Power

Had a good look at all the tournaments and I really like this one, should be like 1.20 imo. Schiavone might be an ageing force, but she's still out there playing with the best week in and week out, so I fancy her to beat Yang, who hasn't won since April (!), losing to plenty of much weaker opponents than Schiavone along the way. I don't believe that Schiavone would be playing without being motivated, as it's a long trip to China, so I'll go with the obvious pick.

18 hours ago, CzechPunter said:

Back Francesca Schiavone to beat Zhaoxuan Yang for a 7/10 stake at 1.50 with Paddy Power

Had a good look at all the tournaments and I really like this one, should be like 1.20 imo. Schiavone might be an ageing force, but she's still out there playing with the best week in and week out, so I fancy her to beat Yang, who hasn't won since April (!), losing to plenty of much weaker opponents than Schiavone along the way. I don't believe that Schiavone would be playing without being motivated, as it's a long trip to China, so I'll go with the obvious pick.

Will follow Schiavone in a combo with Donaldson today,who imo should beat Groth.

Not a whole lot out there to me. I think Monteiro has a good chance against Tim Smyczek. Young 2-0 seems a good bet too but too short odds. I'm not a 1.66-1.79 bettor. One I'll try with is : 

5pts J.Jankovic to beat V.Solovyeva 2-0 4/5 Skybet
Jankovic back to her favourite surface here and playing a qualifier ranked hundreds of places below her. Solovyeva started as more a claycourter and most recently has excelled on the hardcourt but alot of her quallies here have been against weaker players. Jankovic will be looking to get her match fitness sharp here for Rio and certainly wont be looking to go out with a wimper.

Back Francesca Schiavone to beat Jia Jing Lu at 1.40 with Ladbrokes

Although I'm hardly the biggest fan of short odds, I cannot but repeat my previous comments on Schiavone here. She wouldn't be in China if she didn't want to go far and she crushed her first round opponent, so even the 1.40 looks fairly generous to me considering that she's still a class player whenever she's focused enough. Lu has virtually no experience playing against such an opposition and pretty bad results on the lower tennis circuits as well.

(Doing away with the staking system, most of my bets were flat stakes anyway.)

I think I'm going to go for an outright for the rest of the week. 

2pts V.King to win WTA Nanchang 4/1 Coral
King has played some really good Tennis over the past few weeks and has beaten everyone in this field at some point over the last few years. She had a good Canadian Masters, beaten the likes of Babos and only going out to Konta. She brushed aside Storm Sanders in the previous round and looks to be set to play Schiavone in the Semi-final (a player she's beaten on the hard a couple of years back and then Nara in the final, again a players she's beaten) 

5pts F.Verdasco to beat J.Benneateau 2-0 Evens Sportingbet
4pts Y.Nishioka +3.5 games to beat A.Dolgopolov Evens Skybet
3pts J.Donaldson to beat N.Kyrgios 10/3 Bet365

Nishioka has a good chance against Dolgo but I'm backing Nish to keep it tight and going with the +3.5 handicap. Nish has beaten some good players in Evans, Ram etc and only really lost to the likes of Thiem and Muller when they've played just too good. Dolgo has been poor of late losing to Young and Querrey and even when he done well, like at Acapulco that was a tournament Dolgo was defending points after doing well the previous year. Here, he went out early last year to lowly ranked Go Soeda.

Verdasco has a 4-0 head-2-head and has only lost one set to Benneteau on the slow clay. I think this match could be a quick one. Benneteau is bang out of form and I'd be surprised if he got a set on the faster hard surface. Finally, Donaldson match looks like a sexy honey trap to me so I'm keeping the stakes low. I don't want no handicap on this as it could be a Kyrgios demolishing if he fancies it but will he? if Shapalalov can beat Nick, Jared certainly can as he is playing the best tennis of his career recently.

Back Francesca Schiavone to beat Risa Ozaki at 2.00 with Ladbrokes

Another round, another bet on Francesca Schiavone for me. I don't really dare to back her outright to win the entire thing, but I'm happy to continue backing her at the right prices in match betting if good opportunities arise. She'll now play against Ozaki, a very talented player, but one that is a bit hit-or-miss still and the one thing I've noticed is that she does have problems when playing against players that can not just defend, but also counter-attack at the right opportunity. At odds against, the number one seed is worth a bet here in my opinion.

3pts R.Opelka to beat D.Young 3/1 Bet365

Great chance for the young 18yr old to progress here. He has just beat Kevin Anderson after being a set down and both of those 2nd and 3rd sets were real ball winners not tie-breaks. At 6ft 11 on the fast hard courts this guy isn't going to be easy to break and Donald Young comes into this out of form in my eyes and lucky to be here after 2 matches in a row he has scraped through after 2nd set tie-breakers and going through in 3 sets.

I also don't believe Young plays well against big servers. Isner holds a 4-0 record over Young, Karlovic a 2-0, Raonic a 3-0, Cilic a 2-0. Yes, these players are higher ranked so you'd expect them to be beating Young but even lesser ranked big serving players like Jack Sock (3-0) Querrey (2-0) have the upper hand over Young.

Hell even Ryan Harrison and Sam Groth have wins over Young in recent matches on the hardcourt. 

I'd advise the overs on the games (Over 22.5) or Opelka +3.5 at evens if you want a bet that's more likely to come in but I'm taking this one by the balls and will take a gamble on Opelka coming through to win. 

On 05/08/2016, 09:59:24, Fader said:

3pts R.Opelka to beat D.Young 3/1 Bet365

Great chance for the young 18yr old to progress here. He has just beat Kevin Anderson after being a set down and both of those 2nd and 3rd sets were real ball winners not tie-breaks. At 6ft 11 on the fast hard courts this guy isn't going to be easy to break and Donald Young comes into this out of form in my eyes and lucky to be here after 2 matches in a row he has scraped through after 2nd set tie-breakers and going through in 3 sets.

I also don't believe Young plays well against big servers. Isner holds a 4-0 record over Young, Karlovic a 2-0, Raonic a 3-0, Cilic a 2-0. Yes, these players are higher ranked so you'd expect them to be beating Young but even lesser ranked big serving players like Jack Sock (3-0) Querrey (2-0) have the upper hand over Young.

Hell even Ryan Harrison and Sam Groth have wins over Young in recent matches on the hardcourt. 

I'd advise the overs on the games (Over 22.5) or Opelka +3.5 at evens if you want a bet that's more likely to come in but I'm taking this one by the balls and will take a gamble on Opelka coming through to win. 

Good pick Fader. It's always nice when a match pans out exactly the way you thought it would.