Poker Novice Questions

Sir Puntalot

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poker Novice Questions Whichever suits your style/temperament best. I am Rubbish playing cash games, but do okay in STT's/MTT's. Others do okay in both, and others only play cash. It depends on time restraints too. Cash games are perfect if you only have 15mins, STT's can take about an hour, MTT's up to 3 or 4. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions Strangely, yes.:D Look at it this way;

Flop shows 5d 9h Jc You have: Jh Qh
Player 2 has xx/xx Player 3 has xx/xx Player 4 has xx/xx Player 5 has xx/xx At that point, until the betting starts your only knowledge is as PR says, you have top pair with a good kicker, and it is other peoples betting and what you read into the way they bet that is your only clue as to what they hold. Some of the betting that goes on is basically to see if it's possible to get a read on what other players hold. So in this situation you'd put in a reasonable bet (say 100 chips). Player 2 has 5c/4s and folds (bottom pair and v.low kicker). Player 3 has 5h/Ah and calls (hoping to hit his 'outs'). Player 4 has Ac/Ad and calls or even raises - but he is 'slow-playing' or 'sand-bagging', so just calls (this time). Player 5 has 8c/10c and calls (he is hoping for either any 7 or Q, although strangely a 7 makes his hand slightly stronger, as a Q could give others a higher straight). As you weren't raised on that round of betting you can be quite confident of being ahead on the hand, but you only know at the end, when hole cards get shown.

Re: Poker Novice Questions I think a kicker is what you use to decide in a tie, i.e if we both have a pair of tens, and I have an ace, he has a king. Then I a win with a higher kicker ?? I know some of these question may appear dumb, but I've only played in the PL freerolls before, and a couple of hours on the play sites.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Nice start Fools :clap :clap :clap You ought to look at the PL Leagues if you can (I appreciate Time Zones probably make it difficult!!!!) - you'll get a decent standard of play, for a low buy in, and large added value......... Just one thing I disagree with above - If the board shows Flop shows 5d 9h Jc and you have a J, then you have top pair, however if you have AA then you don't have top pair, you have an overpair......... Your definition of Kicker looks good :ok

Re: Poker Novice Questions another thing to remember with kickers is that what's on the board counts as well. An example would be if you have A7 and your opponent has A3 and the board comes JK8A9 then the pot would be split because you can both make the best hand of AAKJ9 ie. your 7 kicker vs his 3 kicker has been made redundant by the board showing higher cards.

Re: Poker Novice Questions Thanks for that guys. I was playing a stt last night and it seemed a bit strange to me, 5 player tournement and the other 4 players all went all in preflop first hand, why would they do this ?? Two of them split the pot, I folded. I think they all knew each other. I got constant abuse from one of them as soon as he sat down, I'd played him once before (when I won), then in chat he'd tell the other player what he had, stuff like "pair of aces here" but it seemed to be lies most of the time. He made a negative comment about the PL I made it to the last 2, short stacked got a pair of nines, went all in preflop and came up against a pair of aces, but in the money again, made the cash two from four, so quite encouraged Does this seem very strange, or is the world just full of nutters ??

Re: Poker Novice Questions

I got constant abuse from one of them as soon as he sat down, I'd played him once before (when I won), then in chat he'd tell the other player what he had, stuff like "pair of aces here" but it seemed to be lies most of the time. He made a negative comment about the PL
Sorry Fools, this is Poker Novice Questions - not Remedial Poker player issues. ;) Gaf - Where were overpairs mentioned? :unsure

was playing a stt last night and it seemed a bit strange to me, 5 player tournement and the other 4 players all went all in preflop first hand, why would they do this ?? Two of them split the pot, I folded. I think they all knew each other. I got constant abuse from one of them as soon as he sat down, I'd played him once before (when I won), then in chat he'd tell the other player what he had, stuff like "pair of aces here" but it seemed to be lies most of the time. He made a negative comment about the PL I made it to the last 2, short stacked got a pair of nines, went all in preflop and came up against a pair of aces, but in the money again, made the cash two from four, so quite encouraged Does this seem very strange, or is the world just full of nutters ??
I'd love it if they all went all in first hand:tongue2. Did they all have monster hands? It does seem very strange, never seen it before. You could have tried complaining to the poker site if you had any evidence that they all knew each other and were colluding, but I don't think they'd do anything about it:unsure

Why should I be wary of Hungarians?
On Punters lounge Hungarians have a bad reputation - mainly for their behaviour on freerolls on SO. Because SO (and probably other sites) cannot easily check names and addresses from Hungary then the Hungrians (mainly students - from Debrecen/Pecs I suspect) register multiple ids. They then enter every freeroll under the sun even when there are no prizes relevent to them (UK only freerolls, ones like champs lq where they don't play the ones that cost you to join) and play all-in with rubbish mode - if they lose switch out to a another id (thus turning a lot of games into a lottery rather than a game of skill coupled to luck ). They also chat in Hungarian which there are rules against and this leads to suspicions (somewhat justified methinks) that they are collaborating ("lets all go all-in this hand") and chip dumping. :@ :@ :@ There are I'm sure some good Hungarian players who unfortunately get tarred with the same brush.

Re: Poker Novice Questions I'd say a good place to start are the PL Sponsored competitions - so Sporting Odds (Wednesdays), poker.co.uk (Mondays) and Virgin (upcoming freeroll) - they will have a reasonable standard of play, for a cheap buy in and value added....... So that gives you 3 sites to play with straight away - after that, I'd say keep an eye on the daily diary and see where people are playing and what they are talking about....... A prima account may be good if you want to play in the pretty regular private games (Dream or Crazy or 32Red or Spin Palace etc......) Looking forward to seeing you at the tables mate :ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Poker Novice Questions Bit of a dumb question but here goes. Playing heads up last 2 of a STT, I go all in with a pair of 10's, he calls me with QJ suited. Who has the best hand at that point, in terms of expectation of winning the pot ??

Re: Poker Novice Questions You have - but it's a "coin flip" Assuming you have TT of a different suit to the QJs, odds are 52.9% v 47.1% (Pokerstove is a great program for checking the odds - worth downloading - and free :ok)

Re: Poker Novice Questions thanks for that, I thought it would be close. Just wanted to check that I wasn't way behind when the money went in. I won the hand tbw, but needed a third 10 on the river to do it, after he paired his queen on the flop. I played 3 STT's last night, won 2 and second in the other. starting to get ok at this game, but still got huge ammunts of work to do