Racing Chat Thread

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Yea, tomorrow is crap. But Tuesdays usually are, same with Weds. The point was it's bank holiday and they have put loads of meetings on (rightly so on the whole) but surely they can muster a bit more quality than a Listed 2 year old race. Awful stuff On a side note I hope the jock is ok at Ripon who was unseaed on the way to the start. Apparently has neck and back pain so get well soon

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread

How would you judge a horses form when running on an AW track if it hasn't ran on it before?
Always a difficult one to know whether a horse will handle Southwell on their first start at the venue. Few things to look out for, relatives that handled the surface, trainer record at Southwell, sire stats (http://www.flatstats.co.uk/sire_stats.php) for the sire in question, and whether they handle softer ground can often provide clues to whether they'll take to fibresand or not. But you don't know until they run on it, obviously!

Always a difficult one to know whether a horse will handle Southwell on their first start at the venue. Few things to look out for, relatives that handled the surface, trainer record at Southwell, sire stats (http://www.flatstats.co.uk/sire_stats.php) for the sire in question, and whether they handle softer ground can often provide clues to whether they'll take to fibresand or not. But you don't know until they run on it, obviously!
Thanks for the reply. It may have came across as a silly question, but I ment is there anything which you could relate it with. Suppose it's better to look for a horse which has plenty experience on it.

Thanks for the reply. It may have came across as a silly question, but I ment is there anything which you could relate it with. Suppose it's better to look for a horse which has plenty experience on it.
Don't understand your 2nd sentence. And yes, course experience is probably the way forward unless you think you have some other angle, plenty come on for the initial outing on the fibresand too and after not looking too handy on it on fibresand debut, continue to improve.

In support of the point raised by Lars, Dubawi Island ran at Southwell for the first time today. His sire, Dubawi, had 11 winners in 35 runs at the track (31%) over the past year. Dubawi Island won by 7 lengths.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Great to see Borderlescott win another listed race today at Beverley. Shame that he was balloted out of the Nunthorpe having won it twice previously , maybe something should be done to include previous winners , he may have been competitive in last weeks Nunthorpe given todays performance despite a drop in the ratings.

Great to see Borderlescott win another listed race today at Beverley. Shame that he was balloted out of the Nunthorpe having won it twice previously , maybe something should be done to include previous winners , he may have been competitive in last weeks Nunthorpe given todays performance despite a drop in the ratings.
On occassion Erhaab, I think you get quite a tough time on here.... However, that is a suggestion that should be confined to the dustbin straight away! How would you compensate the horse that missed out!? Good to see him enjoying his racing still - I agree with that!;)

On occassion Erhaab, I think you get quite a tough time on here.... However, that is a suggestion that should be confined to the dustbin straight away! How would you compensate the horse that missed out!? Good to see him enjoying his racing still - I agree with that!;)
I'm not suggesing compo for the connections , just a system to include certain contenders to make it a better race. As an example of what I meant , imagine next years Cheltenham Gold Cup ballotting out Kauto Star because the field is too big and Kauto has slipped in the ratings. The fans will not be happy.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread That's kind of my point though! The owners of the ballotted horse have as much right to be in the race as Borderlescott's owners/connections. Your example concerning Kauto Star would never happen!!!! Not in a million years. If he has slipped that far down the ratings he would have been retired. And there is no way he would be kept in training if he had declined that much!! If he had slipped that far in ability, the 'fans' would be demanding that he was given an honourabe retirement - they would be very unhappy to see him run... Fact! I am starting to think you are a professional 'fisherman' and I'm taking the bait hook, line n sinker!!

Great to see Borderlescott win another listed race today at Beverley. Shame that he was balloted out of the Nunthorpe having won it twice previously , maybe something should be done to include previous winners , he may have been competitive in last weeks Nunthorpe given todays performance despite a drop in the ratings.
The Saint , not sure if you mis understood my post or just mis read the word competitive as compensation . Don't worry I'm always mis reading posts myself .

The Saint ' date=' not sure if you mis understood my post or just mis read the word competitive as compensation . Don't worry I'm always mis reading posts myself .[/quote'] Not misread - I mean he was ballotted out on ratings no? If that is not the case then I am wrong. But if that is the case then he has been ballotted out in order to make the race as competitive as possible.... As I understand it the system in place does exactly what you are after. You can't have Borderlescott's trainer ringing up and saying - 'hello Mr Handicapper, actually my horse is a little bit better than you think and has won the race before - please let us in!' I shouldn't have responded to this!!! Am getting a headache!:\ :eek ;)

I am starting to think you are a professional 'fisherman' and I'm taking the bait hook, line n sinker!!
Just having a chat about racing , we all have differeing opinions , wouldn't it be boring if we all backed the same horses . If you agree , fine , if you don't agree thats fine also. If everybody agrees with everything , wouldn't this section of the forum be very boring ? The Kauto example was just to illustrate my point , it could have been any horse Tom , Dick or even Harry.

Just having a chat about racing , we all have differeing opinions , wouldn't it be boring if we all backed the same horses . If you agree , fine , if you don't agree thats fine also. If everybody agrees with everything , wouldn't this section of the forum be very boring ? The Kauto example was just to illustrate my point , it could have been any horse Tom , Dick or even Harry.
No problem with that Erhaab - I'm just arrogant enough to think that noone can have an opinion that is so different from my own! :spank I can't help it!! Good Luck to you - don't mean to be disagreeable.

No problem with that Erhaab - I'm just arrogant enough to think that noone can have an opinion that is so different from my own! :spank I can't help it!! Good Luck to you - don't mean to be disagreeable.
I enjoy this forum more when others have differing opinions , I look forward to more debates with you Saint .

At the same meeting ' date=' in the Ebor handicap , they use a different system to finalise the field , its based on weight rather than ratings . I don't have the solution or a suggestion but in this particular race it is unfair to 3YOs.[/quote'] Don't know about that to be honest.... If 3yos rated higher than 4yos are being ballotted out then I would agree that's unfair - surely that's not the case though.... Forgive me if I don't respond! It's beer o clock for me!

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread This year there was no 3YOs but in previous years you would need a Gr3 / Gr2 rated 3YO in order to make the line up . This is because 3YOs get something like a 12lb weight allowance from older horses . So the best horses don't neccesarily make the lineup , rather unfair because isn't it the richest handicap in Europe ?

Fantastic to see former champion trainer John Dunlop win the Lonsdale Cup after a very quiet season under mutltiple Gr1 winning jockey W Buick.
Looks like the former champ , is starting to hit a bit of form . He had only 3 winners at the beginning of August and now has 11 with many placed horses . He is Sheikh Hamdans oldest trainer ( in terms of service , although probably age too ) and whilst he no longer gets the cream of the crop these days the ones which start off in handicaps are always worth keeping an eye on especially the staying types.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Haydock Cup Sprint hopeful Mayson has been withdrawn due to an "unsatisfatory scope" Are these reasons / excuses substantiated by any official body ? Would it be reasonable to suggest that the horse was withdrawn because the rain has not arrived . The horse won the July Cup which arguably was the worst Gr1 in modern history. The only Mayson could have won again was if it became boggy and his rivals failed to perform in the extreme conditions. Whats an unsatisfactory scope ? Are we supposed to read in between the lines ? Only last month a top trainer had the ante post fav for a major handicap at a major festival but at the overnight stage having been drawn 21 of 21 ( worst draw of all at that particular track ) the horses was withdrawn having " not eaten up " . What does that actually mean ? How are we supposed to know wheteher that is true or not. Are we supposed to read between the lines ?

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Was doing the form last night for todays racing picked out a few and had a bet but the one that stood out was in the lucky last at wolves tonight a horse called Opus Maximus who's last 3 wins was over CD 20 lb lower than last win ran ok lto when 4th over CD in similar race eight days ago down another 2lb to just 55 Haley Tuner who was on for last win is back on top. Was 14/1 with bet 365 when i struck the e/w bet last night they were the only one to have the raced priced up, just had a small bet, woke up this morning and thought i really fancy this horse to go very close i'm going have a good bit more on it e/w that didnt happen as the price had dropped to 11/2:eek. This smells of a horse that has been plotted up. It is trained by Conor Dore and to be honest don't know a lot about him, can anyone shed some light. any follower of the yard? is it a gambling yard? Thanks

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Conor Dore does like a punt now and again but I don't really rate his operation as a whole in the respect of landing a gamble, as in they'll have one well-backed but it won't win. Just had a look and the main market move was yesterday evening, so doesn't really seem that well-organised a gamble and likely that some overnight tipster shopped the price, which wouldn't be very encouraging in my opinion. Good luck :ok

Was doing the form last night for todays racing picked out a few and had a bet but the one that stood out was in the lucky last at wolves tonight a horse called Opus Maximus who's last 3 wins was over CD 20 lb lower than last win ran ok lto when 4th over CD in similar race eight days ago down another 2lb to just 55 Haley Tuner who was on for last win is back on top. Was 14/1 with bet 365 when i struck the e/w bet last night they were the only one to have the raced priced up' date=' just had a small bet, woke up this morning and thought i really fancy this horse to go very close i'm going have a good bit more on it e/w that didnt happen as the price had dropped to 11/2:eek. This smells of a horse that has been plotted up. It is trained by Conor Dore and to be honest don't know a lot about him, can anyone shed some light. any follower of the yard? is it a gambling yard? Thanks[/quote'] No opinon on the race Ted as I've not looked at it in any depth. I would perhaps be a little careful when using Bet 365 prices though as any sort of guide. They often get it very, very wrong and I note that no Bookmaker has shortened it up since their original prices this morning and there are no particular market positives through BF since the price got in line without 365s overnight. From what I recall, Opus Maximus unquestionably has the ability to win and posted some very good speed figures arouns Wolves this Winter just gone. Definatly has the ability to win. Not sure if Opus is just inconsistent, unreliable or has been held back/stopped on occasion. Think Hayley rode during the AW season too but I'm working from memory. Best of Luck with it.

Was doing the form last night for todays racing picked out a few and had a bet but the one that stood out was in the lucky last at wolves tonight a horse called Opus Maximus who's last 3 wins was over CD 20 lb lower than last win ran ok lto when 4th over CD in similar race eight days ago down another 2lb to just 55 Haley Tuner who was on for last win is back on top. Was 14/1 with bet 365 when i struck the e/w bet last night they were the only one to have the raced priced up' date=' just had a small bet, woke up this morning and thought i really fancy this horse to go very close i'm going have a good bit more on it e/w that didnt happen as the price had dropped to 11/2:eek. This smells of a horse that has been plotted up. It is trained by Conor Dore and to be honest don't know a lot about him, can anyone shed some light. any follower of the yard? is it a gambling yard? Thanks[/quote'] It was backed off the boards last time out Ted and failed to deliver, maybe that is why people are latching on to it again. It could win this race today easily if back anywhere near it's best. Dore is a fairly shrewd operator down in the basement races.

Re: Daily Racing Chat Thread Is it acceptable that J Gosden says Nathaniel will need the run and is heavier than his normal racing weight. The main target is the Arc and not todays race. Its a Gr1 , a lot of punters fancy the fav Nathaniel . Shouldn't he have a duty to have the horse fully fit for the race and a duty to the betting public? I personally fancied Nathaniel but ended up not having a bet because of his comments . He made similar comments prior to the Eclipse but the horse ended up winning. Not very punter friendly comments. How literally do we take the form ? Is Snow Fairy superior than Nathaniel ?