** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

January 6 - January 12

Back David Ferrer to win ATP Auckland for a 4/10 stake at 2.00 with Bet365 This is David Ferrer's very own tournament and, judging from the draw and the line-up, he should win it yet again this year. The biggest name in his half of the draw is Kevin Anderson, which just sums his chances up very neatly. There are no guarantees in tennis, but I would be very surprising by seeing him lose before the finals here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/atp-auckland-betting-david-ferrer-looks-set-to-defend-his-title-in-auckland Back Radek Stepanek to win ATP Sydney for a 1/10 stake at 41.00 with BetVictor Back Jarkko Nieminen to win ATP Sydney for a 1/10 stake at 41.00 with BetVictor Yes, there might be some big upsets in Sydney in my opinion, so I am going to go with the two experienced veterans, Stepanek and Nieminen, who are both priced at 41.00. Stepanek looked good in the Hopman Cup and Nieminen has done well here in recent years, so why not really? Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/atp-sydney-betting-the-underdogs-could-surprise-the-favorites-down-in-sydney-next-week Back Petra Kvitova to win WTA Sydney for a 3/10 stake at 3.80 with Pinnacle Petra Kvitova has an easy draw and she looked good in the Hopman Cup, so I fancy her to confirm her rising form and win the title in Sydney this week. All the big names are in the first half of the draw, so, if she stays focused, she will have every chance of getting through to the finals with minimal fuss. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wta-sydney-betting-petra-kvitova-a-worthy-favorite-in-the-wta-part-of-the-sydney-event Back Mona Barthel to win WTA Hobart for a 1/10 stake at 13.00 with Pinnacle Tough to find a good pick in Hobart, so I am going to go with the one player that was impressive here in recent years, Mona Barthel. She has already recorded an easy win here on Sunday, so, if her big hitting remains on song, she should be very competitive in the fairly shallow line-up. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/wta-hobart-betting-mona-barthel-looks-a-huge-price-to-shine-in-hobart

Re: January 6 - January 12 Monica Niculescu - Magdalena Rybarikova WTA Hobart Monica Niculescu to win 1.81 (pinnacle) 7/10 Magdalena Rybarikova is joy to watch when she is on. She has very good offensive slice and good shot variety. But she rarely plays good. In Brisbane she was terrible against Lisicki, she hit only 3 winners with 24 unforceds… Monica Niculescu always capable for a good fight, she has good movement and good defensive skills. Her backhand is ok and has a very strange slice forehand. Under the windy circumstances Niculescu’s slice can working well, she always fight hard so i think she will find the way to win. Marina Erakovic - Kirsten Flipkens WTA Hobart Flipkens -1.5 sets 1.96 (unibet) 5/10 Marina Erakovic has a good serve, fantastic forehand and good volleys. Her backhand is very weak, and her movement is problem too. I saw against Lauren Davis and she played poorly, her backhand was a mess and hit so many unforced with forehand too. Flipkens played ok last week, she was up and down but could rise her level if was necessary. She is a very tricky player with good defensive slice. The weather always is very windy in Hobart, Flipkens slice is working well under these circumstances, she played semi-final last year and quarter-final in 2010. I think Flipkens will win easy this match, she is in good mood.

Re: Pre-Season - January 5 Hello everybody in 2014:) My season's opener in this forum will be... a double... (Makarova to bt Suarez Navarro) x (Muguruza to bt Wickmayer) @2.25 local bookie. (6/10) Both Makarova and Muguruza are 1.5 favs in their respective matches, and I've got the impression that this is more than justified and the prices are going to drop soon. Makarova just got rid of JJ, which I would not overestimate cos JJ was tanking before AO for sure after her good run in Brisbane, but nevertheless Makarova shows up in superb form. On the other hand Carla Suarez had BIG troubles to beat Ormaechea as the 1.2ish FAV!. H2H is 2-2, but the last match comes from feb. 2013 Doha, where Ekaterina spanked Navarro 6-1 6-2 on hard. IMO Ekaterina is in much better form right now than last year - no brainer, except perhaps if Ekaterina decides to tank to spare forces for defending QF at AO, but this is not Ekaterina's style. As to Muguruza vs Wickmayer - Yanina should already be out, but Laura Robson retired in the second set after having won the first set 6-4 and coming a break down (0-2) in the second. Muguruza rolls in Hobart, lost just 9 games in four matches (3 rounds qualies + 1st round main draw) so far. They never played, but IMO Yanina is not in good form and Muguruza should take care of her.

Re: January 6 - January 12 3pts F.Delbonis to beat D.Young 2.50 Bet365 Delbonis ranked 54th on his debut appearance here. Young ranked 96th was present here in 2012 and went out as favourite in round 1 to Falla. Most people know Delbonis loves the clay but he is also a decent hard-court player and lists "outdoor hard" on his preference in his profile. They have a similar amount of Aces on the hard court last year and although it would indicate that Young is the better returner I don't think Delbonis is 2.50 here. Some value in my eyes.

Re: January 6 - January 12 3pts Roger-Vasselin to beat Dolgopolov 3.00 Bet365 Odds are not right here in my opinion. Head-2-head reads 3-0 to R-Vas. 2 of those were on the hard-court. He is also in the better form getting to a final last week on the hard surface. R-Vas also has the better ranking right now. He has played alot of tennis and that can benefit him or hinder him but he certainly is not a 2/1 dog here.

Re: January 6 - January 12

Thanks to the MOD that corrected my wrong post into last week's thread and moved it here. I must be more carefull next time, LOL.
You're welcome ;). Happy new year to you too! Back Daniel Gimeno-Traver to beat Roberto Bautista-Agut for a 3/10 stake at 2.83 with Pinnacle Is Bautista-Agut the better player? Yep, he probably is. Does Gimeno-Traver deserve to be rated as a 2.83 underdog here? No, he certainly doesn't. Neither of the two has played well in recent times, so I am going to go with Gimeno-Traver here - the price really is quite high and he has two qualifying victories to build on, while Bautista-Agut's loss against Kudryavtsev in Chennai doesn't look particularly well. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/gimeno-traver-vs-bautista-agut-betting-daniel-gimeno-traver-looks-value-in-the-battle-of-two-spaniards Back Lucie Safarova to beat Caroline Wozniacki for a 3/10 stake at 2.59 with Pinnacle Given that Wozniacki was injured last week and that she had to come back from being a set down against Julia Goerges in the first round, I think that this offers some value. Safarova dealt with Schiavone in two straightforward sets and she has all the right weapons for out-hitting Wozniacki, so it just seems wrong to me that she is priced at more than 2.50 here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/safarova-vs-wozniacki-betting-lucie-safarova-has-the-firepower-to-out-hit-caroline-wozniacki

Re: January 6 - January 12 Ajla Tomljanovic - Madison Keys WTA Sydney over 19.5 games 1.84 (pinnacle) 7/10 Two talented youngster with a big game. Both of them have a big serve (Madison Keys over 190 km/h; Ajla Tomljanovic over 180 km/h) but a weak return of serve. Tomljanovic has a good backhand but her forehand just ok, Keys has a huge firepower from both side but she is very inconsistent and her movement not too good. Tomljanovic played a lot of similar inconsistent player than Keys last year (Goerges, Petkovic, Jovanovski…) and played a tight matches. I think this match will be a similar, many up and down and maybe a three setter. Jan-Lenard Struff - Marin Cilic ATP Sydney Cilic -4.5 games 2.1 (paddy power) 4/10 After the ban Marin Cilic is ready for play again. He is a very clean ball striker, can create unbelievable angles with huge power. He is working with Goran Ivanisevic now, they try to improve his serve, he can hit huge first serve (over 210 km/h) but the percentage is serious problem for him. In Brisbane he was ok against Dimitrov and Nishikori. Struff has a weaker serve, movement, firepower, return of serve. No doubt Cilic is a better player and he missed the second half of last season so he needs matches and points. I think he will win this match and finally cover the handicap in the end of the match when Struff will lose his motivation because he will play in Australian Open qualifiaction tournament in Melbourne. Ekaterina Makarova - Carla Suarez Navarro WTA Sydney Makarova -1.5 sets 2 (pinnacle) 7/10 Carla Suarez Navarro is a fast little girl with great shotmaking ability. She has incredible one-handed backhand and good forehand. Makarova is a big girl with lefty serve, she can keep the ball in play well and can hit big winners too. Suarez Navarro was poor in Brisbane, her grounstrokes was weak, was so passiv, just kept the ball in play. Against Hsieh it was enough but agressive Kanepi destroyed her. In first round in Sydney she struggled against Ormaechea. Makarova was very good against Jankovic. Jelena was weak but the russian hit so many nice return and good shots. Last year in Doha Makarova hammered CSN 6-1 6-2. Now Carla is too passiv, I think Makarova big shots will kill her and this will be easy match.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Pablo Carreno Busta to beat Philipp Kohlschreiber Kohlschreiber should be winning this as he has the better hard court pedigree, but his labours against both Andujar and Gojowczyk last week in Qatar mean I won't be backing him at this price. Carreno Busta lost in his opening match last week in Chennai, but as Bhambri had home advantage and had a good week I don't mind letting that slide. It's probably fair to say that the Spaniard prefers clay, but he won a Challenger on hard last season which suggests that he can play on it. If Kohlschreiber can be taken to a tie-break on a hard court by Andujar, as he was last week, then I think Carreno Busta could surprise here and so I have opposed the German at 1.22.

Re: January 6 - January 12 void bet on Roger-Vasselin. Delbonis a break up in 1st set. So frustrating when a player should win a set and then gives the 2nd away so cheaply but nevermind. I'm still warming up with the tennis and much prefer the clay so I'll stay selective with any value bets. -3 yesterday.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Looking at the ATP 250 in Sydney, I think that Del Potro offers a terrific price for overall winner He is way better than the rest of the field, I think the only top 20 player in the draw. This guy is seriously good, especially on hardcourt, and I expect him to take care of all comers here. Happy with even money for him to win it

Re: January 6 - January 12 Back Kristina Mladenovic (+4.5) to beat Samantha Stosur for a 3/10 stake at 2.01 with Pinnacle Back Kristina Mladenovic to beat Samantha Stosur for a 1/10 stake at 4.38 with Pinnacle Samantha Stosur tends to be a bit awkward and home soil and her first round performance against Brengle wasn't exactly convincing, so I do fancy Kristina Mladenovic to have her own say in the matters in Hobart. She is talented, she has all the big shots, so yeah, this price does look a touch off to me really. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/mladenovic-vs-stosur-betting-kristina-mladenovic-will-get-her-chances-against-samantha-stosur-in-hobart Back Horacio Zeballos (+4) to beat Philipp Kohlschreiber for a 3/10 stake at 2.05 with Pinnacle Back Horacio Zeballos to beat Philipp Kohlschreiber for a 1/10 stake at 4.54 with Pinnacle Kohlschreiber seems to be having a tough start to the season, so Zeballos could be a tough test for him unless he gets his game going. The Argentinian is no world beater on hard courts, but the slowish conditions should allow him to do well against the German, so the handicap line looks more than coverable to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zeballos-vs-kohlschreiber-betting-horacio-zeballos-shouldn-t-be-underestimated-over-in-auckland

Re: January 6 - January 12 M.Baghdatis to beat S.Johnson 2-0 2.25 PaddyPower I fancy Baghdatis to win this one in 2. He isn't the best server you'll meet but he is a very good hard-court player who will return the majority of players serves and he is very solid and shouldn't have too many problems here. I have no doubt the only way that Johnson is going to win a set is if Bag returns badly.

Re: January 6 - January 12 I decided to say my opinions here, but not too long ones: 1. Laaksonen - Daniel - Daniel is talented, got some good results, but Laaksonen is certainly one class above and has a good morale @1.53 BetVictor 2. Bhambri - Starace - the old Italian had problems even on clay recently, Bhambri for sure will thrash him @ 1.45 NordicBet 3. Schwartzmann - Zhang The Argentinian is a clay courter, here is a hard court, Zhang should be well prepared and motivated so I expect him tow win @ 1.70 Unibet 4. DeVoest - Thiem The Australian is very talented and surely will fight everything to go on the main draw @1.44 StanJames 5. Goffin - Giustino The Belgian is muych more experienced and qualitative to go further than any other Challenger Italian that plays mostly on clay! @ 1.31 Pinnacle Sports All on quallies @ Australian Open

Re: January 6 - January 12 Nicolas Mahut to beat Juan Martin Del Potro Del Potro kicks off his season with what I think could be a tricky assignment against Mahut, who has already had a match here to get used to conditions. They met a number of years ago at the US Open where Del Potro ran out an easy winner, but Mahut has improved during the last season or so and if Del Potro shows any signs of rust then the Frenchman has enough experience to possibly make this interesting. Worth a lay for me at 1.16. Donald Young to beat David Ferrer Ferrer didn't look at his best last week in Doha, posting an unconvincing victory over Dolgopolov before losing in straight sets to Brands. In his first match here he takes on Young, who came through qualifying and beat Delbonis in his first round match. In that sense he has an advantage over Ferrer, and given the Spaniard's most recent form I think he is too short and so have laid him at 1.14. Young has struggled to break through on tour during the last couple of years, but he was once thought of as a promising young player and has beaten the likes of Murray in the past so he has the potential to win against someone like Ferrer.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Back Naiktha Bains to beat Andrea Hlavackova for a 2/10 stake at 5.97 with Pinnacle Worth a shot I would say. Hlavackova seems to be low on confidence, while Bains has been truly impressive in her first matches on the tour and has nothing to lose here, so perhaps she will come out swinging and take the fight to the Czech, who seems to be in a truly bad spot right now. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/bains-vs-hlavackova-betting-naiktha-bains-looks-value-to-impress-in-the-australian-open-qualifiers Back Klara Zakopalova to beat Alison Riske for a 4/10 stake at 1.77 with Pinnacle Zakopalova seems to have turned her bad run of form around with good wins over Meusburger and Zhang, so this looks like a good price to me. She is still a notch above Alison Riske in terms of overall quality and her experience should carry her through the tough situations, so I fancy her to go through to the semis in Hobart on Thursday. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zakopalova-vs-riske-betting-klara-zakopalova-can-extend-her-winning-streak-with-a-win-over-alison-riske

Re: January 6 - January 12 Right, let's try again. 2pts R.Stepanek to beat Del Potro 3.75 Bet365 Not sure Stepanek is a near 3/1 shot here. The head-2-head reads 3-2 to Stepanek and on the outdoor hard it's 1-1. Most recently Del Potro won on the clay, but most recent game on the outdoor hard, Stepanek won and I think Del Potro is a good match up for Step. Stepanek has started the year decent where he has only lost to Tsonga. Del Potro is on a winning streak but didn't look too impressive when he played Mahut. First set he lost 6-1 only to come back and win 2-1. May be different with Steps style though. 3pts D.Tursunov to beat D.Istomin 2.00 Bet365 1pt D.Tursunov to win 2-0 3.40 Boylesport I think Istomin is only favourite here because he beat Cilic. Tursunov served well against Rosol and I can't find the stats on the Cilic match but Istomin wasn't THAT impressive Vs Andujar with just 64% first serve stats added to the fact Andujars return was woeful. I actually quite like the look of Turs 2-0 here at 3.40 but for anyone who would rather play it abit more safe maybe just the win here. 2pts B.Tomic to win 2-0 Vs Dolgopolov 3.40 Boylesport Tomic defending champion here and I just don't like Dolgo either. Tomic beat Granollers with ease and that was pretty impressive albeit Granollers return game wasn't there. Tomic at home really steps it up and Id expect him to win. 2-0 is a tad risky but I'm all about value until the clay season comes around. Be careful if anyone follows as I've been away from tennis for a few months. Good luck.

Re: January 6 - January 12

any info about dropping odds on kohlschreiber?
Today tennis info: 09:40 Kohlschreiber faces Isner next. "His serve is unbelievable. I think everyone thinks his movement isn't great but I think for his size, he's playing pretty great from the baseline. If he's going to win it's going to be for sure a very tricky match." 09:35 Isner required 3 sets to see off qualifier Lukas Lacko, whose determined challenge was eventually snuffed out in an hour and 50 minutes. Isner had pulled out of Hopman Cup last week with an ankle injury and whilst there were no visible signs of any problem here the American struggled to impose himself until the latter stages. The serve though saved him as usual with 21 aces and no break points faced in the final set. Isner admitted afterwards that he was still troubled by the ankle injury but didn't expect it to stop him playing his quarter final. "I'd be lying if I told you it wasn't tender," he said. "It's very tender and it's wrapped very tight. Tomorrow morning is going to be really important to see how I turn out. I'm going to have ice on my foot for the rest of the day really." Isner's serve wasn't just a threat to his opponent. Spectators were regularly dodging his 220 km/h plus rockets and a ball girl was struck by one fiery delivery that was clocked at 231 km/h. "Sometimes I play and I'm worried about people in the crowd," Isner admitted. "I've hit people in the eye before and it's just terrible. Luckily for me [the ball girl] was tough as nails out there and she didn't flinch." (Forum extract) "Looks like Isner's ankle is fine. He served very well, including a 234 km/h serve off of a ballgirl. Lacko probably has the biggest difference in skill to tactic ratio in tennis. The guy can hit some amazing shots, but then some points are just clowned away. If there were clips of his best 10 points in the match, you would think he was a top player." Isner 7/6 3/6 6/2. Now I found one reference, Kohlschreiber defends finals.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez to beat David Ferrer @ 6.20 Betfair Ferrer still doesn't look right to me at the moment, and if he was playing to his usual standard then I don't think it would have taken him three sets to beat Young in his last match. Garcia-Lopez has had a couple of tough matches to get to this stage, beating both Haase and Giraldo in three sets. That doesn't look like the kind of form that would give him a chance against Ferrer, but it does at least suggest that he is motivated this week. Quite a few favourites have lost in the last few days, and with the Australian Open so close that's not so surprising. Although Ferrer has done well here in previous years, he has a lot of points to defend at the first Grand Slam of the season and it may be that those points are his priority. Garcia-Lopez is competent on hard and beat Nadal on the surface a few years ago, and with the form Ferrer is in coupled with the possibility that his mind might be elsewhere, I like the look of this price.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Much better. Quick bet on Matosevic to win 2-0 (Vs Stakhovsky) 2pts M.Matosevic to beat S.Stakhovsky 2-0 2.50 Bet365 I think Matosevic, like Tomic at home will be come through. Stak's serve will be key and if he is on song he is going to give Mato problems hence the low stake.

Re: January 6 - January 12 Back Gilles Simon to beat Richard Gasquet for a 4/10 stake at 2.00 with William Hill Richard Gasquet has already voiced his concerns about the upcoming Australian Open, saying that he doesn't feel ready fitness-wise, so I am not sure what this price is about. It is an exhibition match, after all, and Simon should be up for his more than Gasquet, who nearly lost against Thompson (!) yesterday. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/simon-vs-gasquet-betting-gilles-simon-looks-good-value-to-defeat-richard-gasquet-on-friday Back Klara Zakopalova (+1.5 sets) to beat Samantha Stosur for a 4/10 stake at 1.87 with Pinnacle Good result from Stosur against Bojana Jovanovski, but I don't think that she deserves to be priced as such a huge favourite against Zakopalova based on that alone. The Czech is yet to drop a set in Hobart and is playing well both in the singles and the doubles, so she should get a set - or even more - against the world's number seventeen. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zakopalova-vs-stosur-betting-klara-zakopalova-can-hinder-stosur-s-chances-of-prevailing-in-hobart Back Estrella Cabeza-Candela (+6) to beat Garbine Muguruza Blanco for a 4/10 stake at 1.83 with Pinnacle Alright, so Muguruza Blanco is the better player of the two. But isn't this handicap a touch off nonetheless? I certainly believe that it is, as Cabeza-Candela actually leads the H2H record by two wins to one and the conditions aren't fast enough to push her out of the match completely. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/cabeza-candela-vs-muguruza-blanco-betting-a-tight-contest-might-be-on-the-cards-in-the-all-spanish-meeting

Re: January 6 - January 12 4pts B.Tomic to beat S.Stakhovsky 2-0 Eves Bet365 Tomic won pretty comfortably 2-0 in his last match and Stakhovsky I was surprised with. I fancied Matosevic to win that one and he was a couple of break points up there but stakhovsky won the match with ease. Tomic is the much better player for me and these 2 played in 2012 on the outdoor hard with Tomic coming through in straight sets 7-6 6-3. Here he is on home courts too and evens seems a decent price

Re: January 6 - January 12 Dmitry Tursunov to beat Juan Martin Del Potro @ 5.40 Betfair Del Potro hasn't looked at his fluent best so far in this tournament, and so I don't think he should be such a strong favourite against Tursunov. The Russian had a comeback season last year, and should be looking to improve his ranking still further during the next twelve months. He took a set off Del Potro in their last meeting in Cincinatti last season, and if he can find a way to get ahead in this match Del Potro might not strain too hard to get back into it with the Australian Open on the horizon. Yen-Hsun Lu to beat David Ferrer @ 5.40 Betfair It's not so much that I'm particularly keen to back Lu here, but I can't ignore the struggles that Ferrer has had so far this week. It took him three sets to see off Young, and three sets to get the better of Garcia-Lopez. Lu hasn't had to beat too much to get to this stage, but he has won three matches and so he should be feeling good about his game. He took a set when he played Ferrer at this tournament last year, and I think the price about a win for him here is too high.