** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Cheltenham 2:30 - Fairlawne Handicap Chase (Grade 3) Double Ross is the deserved favourite for the contest but I cannot back him at 2/1 in a competitive race like this. I think Pickamus is well capable of running another big race off bottom weight here but I think Carrickboy is the stand out value at 14/1. In a small field like this he might front run and make it a real test so if he jumps well he could be very hard to peg back if on a going day. Carrickboy WIN @ 14/1 William Hill Read Full Preview @ http://bit.ly/1d6S2sg

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Cheltenham 13.55 Course form is always important for Cheltenham and the Giant Bolster always seems to run his best races here. His Gold Cup 2nd and 4th are probably the best pieces of form on offer here and I'd expect him to give another good showing tomorrow. The Giant Bolster - 1pt Win - 11/1 BetVictor BOG

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Good luck in the new year everyone :hope 2.15 - Catterick - Kodicil 1pt @ 10/1 Betfred This one went into my notebook last time out. He wasn’t really an eye-catcher, more of a runner who’d be interesting down in trip. He had a moderate level of ability in staying handicaps on the flat and i didn’t think he ran badly on either of his starts in novice hurdles. He made his handicap debut last time out and to be honest i didn’t think he looked that badly treated, he pulled 20L clear with a 120 rated rival in his 2nd start over hurdles so running off a mark of 111 i certainly thought he had a chance. As it turned out he ran quite freely in testing ground and didn’t give himself much chance of getting home in the extended 3m race. He’s instantly dropped back to 19f for tomorrows race which is obviously a positive. He’s been kept on the same mark by the handicapper which is a shame, i was hoping he’d be dropped a lb or 2 but he’s unexposed in this sphere and open to plenty of improvement. He acted on soft ground on the flat so i’d expect him to cope with the testing conditions and put in a good run. He has a good jockey abroad in Dougie Costello and 10/1 doesn’t look a bad price to me.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 15.05 Cheltenham - Annie Power - Win @ 4\9 SJ BOG Shortie for my 1st BBOTD of 2014 Annie Power is unbeaten in 8 races so far (3 Bumpers and 5 hurdles) and I can not see Zarkander getting the better of this mare even with the assistance of a pace maker. Annie Power got the better of Zarkander last time out at Ascot winning by 5 lengths and looked much the stronger at the finish. Ruby Walsh is in the saddle and will ensure he makes the trip worthwhile for his one ride of the day. Annie Powers first run at Cheltenham but expect it to be the first of many in future years This horse is going to be a mega-star and is the future Queen Of Cheltenham when Quevega relinquishes her throne.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Got a feeling trainer Mr N.Henderson is on the verge of really starting to fire and his runner in the last at Cheletenham could be hard to beat but i'll take him on, i really liked the way the selection travelled ''and won'' on her debut at Wetherby - Dec 7th 2013 That bumper was over 1m 5f and the 4yr old never broke sweat and put the race to bed from 2f out, a few of today's field could be anything and one that could be worth a wee market check is the runner from Mr Tizzard's yard, our lass has not been seen in since her debut win ''25 days ago'' she will be ridden again by jockey A.Nicol who will know her very well, Adam is making the journey to prestbury park for this one ride and if the filly takes to Cheltenham, she surely must be involved. 3:40 Cheltenham - Lady Buttons. 0.5 E/w Bet @ 6/1 Bet365 ''BOG''

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 3.20 Muss - Capellanus e/w 8/1 bet365 only 5 runners go to post and this one won 3 starts at southwell over 2m5f and then followed up with a 1/2 length defeat over this CD off a 7lb higher mark , only raised a lb for that effort. Lto made a blunder at 3rd hurdle and was struggling by the 8th one and stays on same mark today. Down a notch in class and has acted on ground before , Ellison has a good partnership with Gallagher with 7 wins from 28 and a further 9 places in hurdles.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 2.15 Catterick - Grate Fella Win @ 7/1 BetVictor First crack at this so lets hope I can find a winner! This horse has decent 2012 form which culminated in a win in a novice hurdle at Sedgefield in November. However it's last run was not up to the same standard (finished 6/10 at Leicester in its first run in a handicap) but it can probably be ignored as the horse was coming back after a break of over a year. The horse likely needed the run and should be open to improvement.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 340 Cheltenham. Sandy Beach 0.5 E/W 16/1 sky bet. I don't have any real "horse" reasoning. I spoke to Colin on boxing day asking why he did not enter one of our horses in this race he said he already had the winner in that race (laughing) the horse I was talking about was third act which was channel 4 racing dark horse last week so this horse sandy beach must be showing something at home.it is drifting though.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Cheltenham 1.55 - Return Spring 7/2 Paddy Power BOG This looks like an odd little race with plenty out of form, a couple back from a layoff and a couple returning to hurdles from fences. The only one that you can safely predict is in form at the moment is the Hobbs horse and even though the price is short enough (likely to drift a little) I think he is a very solid bet for the first day of the New Year. He has very solid C&D form making this mark very workable and he has form on softer ground for when the rain finally does arrive. Anything worse than soft would be an unknown though! I think this is by far the easiest race he has had over C&D and with the Hobbs team still in fine fettle I expect him to run a big race.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014

Cheltenham 1.55 - Return Spring 7/2 Paddy Power BOG This looks like an odd little race with plenty out of form, a couple back from a layoff and a couple returning to hurdles from fences. The only one that you can safely predict is in form at the moment is the Hobbs horse and even though the price is short enough (likely to drift a little) I think he is a very solid bet for the first day of the New Year. He has very solid C&D form making this mark very workable and he has form on softer ground for when the rain finally does arrive. Anything worse than soft would be an unknown though! I think this is by far the easiest race he has had over C&D and with the Hobbs team still in fine fettle I expect him to run a big race.
Betfreds have literally changed to 4's just as I wrote that? Any chance I can get that price now or am I stuck? Cheers.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 3.25 Catterick: Five In A Row 10/11 Ladbrokes/bet365 This looks a good opportunity for the Brian Ellison hurdler, he won a point to point an then was impressive in his bumper victory at Carlisle. On his hurdles debut he was pitched in against the likes of Ballyalton and Oscar Rock and wasn't disgraced back in 4th place that day. This 3 mile trip looks like what he wants and connections will be disappointed if he cant win in this company.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 12.45 Cheltenham - Bradley EW @ 11/1 BetVictor I am hoping Bradley has a decent each way chance in this despite his recent poor run at Sandown. He looked to be returning to form in his 2 runs this season at Cheltenham, only to put in a poor display last time out under Conor Shoemark. I think the drop back in trip and the return to Cheltenham will suit as will the return of Paddy Brenan in the saddle. He is a CD winner and never runs a bad race at this track. Conditions are fine and he looks a solid each way bet in what looks a very open race.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 I'm starting off the year with a change of tactics - looking for some EW shots Muss 2.10 - Deepsand - EW at 16/1 bog bet365 Doesn't look badly handicapped on his last win - 7lbs higher but won by 9 lengths Has been running into form this season, getting closer in each of his 3 runs. Acts on the going and the track should pose no problem as he's won RH and on sharp tracks Trainer in decent nick in the last few days with a winner and 2 seconds

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 Here we go again folks, to winners, to profit, to all the knowledgeable sorts here I raise a virtual glass. Anyway, now that bollocks if out of the way, I'll go with ...... 12.10pm @ Cheltenham 'Ballyalton' 2/1 (BetFred) Better a 2/1 winner than a 10/1 loser today for me. I started studying this race really wanting to back The Johnson/Hobbs horse but I can't get away from McCoy on this one. Had himself a wee daydream last time out before deciding to race and still beat a decent sort in Garde La Victoire (Oscar Rock the time before). Looks a prospect and one with a future. Today's trip will suit more so than the shorter one of last time so with liely improvement, will be very very hard to beat here. I'll be playing the forecast with the Hobbs horse but for BBOTD purposes Ballyalton looks my winner today to start this year on the front foot. 1 point win

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 1505 cheltenham 1pt win annie power 4/9 bet365 only 3 runners and it looks a match on paper between the top 2 in the betting,and although she takes on zarkander again,she has a weight disadvantage this time round she should be able to confirm the placings,she has another entry this week at sandown, but i think this is the one they have got her ready to win, rubys only ride of the day, and i dont think hes coming over not to win

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 I'll go with this topical tip - all the best all for 2014 :ok M2.10 New Years Eve 1pt Win 9/2 Bet365 The sportinglife seem to think this horse has a lot on its plate for its handicap debut but I don't see if that way. This horse only just lost out when finishing 2nd in the Bumper at the Festival and some pretty good horses have come from that race over the years. I backed the horse last year when it got beat by Ptit Zig which looked like a disappointing run at the time but that horse has gone on to finish 2nd in a 20 runner race at Ascot off a mark of 151. NYE has run some decent races since so todays mark of 123 looks like it could be more than fair. The horse has also some form on heavy ground with a 2nd to River Maigue which went on to be placed off a mark of 140.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 1.55 Cheltenham: Whispering Gallery, 7/2 BetVictor, win Whispering Gallery has won both his races over hurdles in great style. His jumping has been impressive bar two or three slight mistakes. The ground shouldn't be a problem for him. He steps up in trip to 3m today but he should see it out with ease. Trainer John Ferguson is in good form and Barry Geraghty is a big plus in the saddle.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014

1.55 Cheltenham: Whispering Gallery' date= 7/2 BetVictor, win Whispering Gallery has won both his races over hurdles in great style. His jumping has been impressive bar two or three slight mistakes. The ground shouldn't be a problem for him. He steps up in trip to 3m today but he should see it out with ease. Trainer John Ferguson is in good form and Barry Geraghty is a big plus in the saddle.
I just copy and pasted this over from my thread but I forgot to change the price. It's now 5/1 with BetVictor.

Re: BBOTD ''Comp'' Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 14.35 Southwell: Jalebi @ 8/1 Ladbrokes Jalebi returns after a half year long break, had two starts to date on the All-Weather, gets her first start on Southwell fibresand now which is quite interesting considering her trainer has a tremendous record at this track, particularly in maidens, despite not having been here often in recent years. Also Jalebi should be well suited to this surface since her sire has an excellent record here (20% strike rate), compared to his overall AW record. Interestingly Sleeping Indian's record with fresh horses is the best and very much above average. So after all Jalebi is well worth a punt in this small field.