The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season ~ Finished

Thought it would be a bit of fun to create a list of horses to follow for the new flat season. Anyone can contribute one horse to follow that may be worth keeping an eye on and i will put it on a nag me list and update the progress as we go along. If a horse is under performing or has become badly handicapped, you have just changed your mind or even worse injured they can be replaced at anytime with another horse. This way the list should remain current and up to date. Just explain which horse is to be taken off the list. We will see how we do to level stakes both Win and EW if we have enough interest. All horses selected should come with a brief reason why and what its ideal conditions might be, it could be trip, ground, handicap mark etc... just a few words on why you think its worth following. Any horse, not particularly looking for the Derby winner, can be a seller if you think its worth following. So to clarify; Just nominate one horse for the flat season Can be replaced at anytime Brief reasoning as to why its on the list I will endeavour to update the list and the results as we go along:ok 9s6p.png

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Great Idea.:clap Can i throw the first in the bag. Donny Rover, 2yo. Charles Smith. 95k purchase ast Oct. Had his first run in the brocklesby last friday, was fancied going off at 13/2. Owned by the shrewd "willie mcKay". By Excellent Art, 1 in 3 strike rate, I have a feeling you will see a diffrent horse when stepping up a furlong, as last Friday was all a bit Hurried. However is entered at MUSS on saturday, over 5f, so they may think he is speedy enough over 5, and the experience may bring him on, But for me on breeding, 6f, 7f, 8f..Is were we will see the best.:D

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Great idea BH! Horse - Educate Trainer - Ismail Mohammed I am going to put up Educate who runs in the Spring Mile on Saturday. I think he will win on Saturday and turn into a really decent horse this year. Being gelded seems to have been the making of him and has helped him stamp out some of bad habits such as pulling hard or playing up in the stalls. He has won his last 2 races on good to firm and heavy so ground is no problem with him. His win at York was particularly impressive as he was carrying top weight on heavy ground and won with plenty in hand. Yes that was only a class 4 handicap but I think there is massive amounts of improvement in him this year. With a good trainer in Ismail Mohammed and I can see this one bagging one of the big handicaps during the season. Another horse I will be following is the 2 year old Hydrogen who I have a couple of ante-post wagers on but I will put up Educate.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Another Citizen- T Easterby Should pay his way round the Northern tracks over 5f-6f. Seemed to improve last back end and should win a few races off his current mark and will no doubt be a regular runner. Doesn't appear to like it too firm and ideally good ground or with a bit cut.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Horse: Aegaeus - Trainer: Ed Dunlop This 77 rated gelding came to my attention for the first time last November in a Handicap at Lingfield when he was pretty unlucky not to win the race, finishing in a way suggesting he could be much better than his mark and actual form. He won after that a maiden, a form that works out very well and he was put away for the rest of the winter. There are some positive vibes about him from the yard and I think he can turn into a nice handicapper, exploring his lenient looking mark on turf, probably rather on good ground. He is lovely bred and 12f might be his ideal distance.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season I had a list of noted horses from last flat season which went quite well so I've had a look back at that & picked one out. Dixie Sky(USA) 3yo b/br filly Dixie Union - Mona Quita(USA) (El Corredor (USA) Dixie Sky is trained by Noel Quinlan at Newmarket. I was at Doncaster on June 26th last year when she made her debut in a class 5 2yo fillies maiden over 6f on good ground. She looked a nice sort in the parade ring & ran a promising race to finish fifth beaten just over 7l's. The winner ran well in better class after & the second, third, fourth, sixth, seventh & eighth have all won since. Dixie Sky went back to Donny for another class 5 fillies maiden in July, again on good & this time at 7f & she was sixth beaten 2.5l's having run quite green & getting squeezed for room at the furlong pole. A couple of winners have come from this race too. Her final start was at Haydock in late September, again a class 5 fillies maiden, this time at a mile where she was fifth, 5.5l's behind the winner. The ground though was heavy that day & very testing & I think she would be better on good ground. On breeding it looks like she needs at least 10f & maybe 12f. After the three runs she has a handicap mark of 71 which looks workable, I'll be watching to see in what sort of race (maiden/handicap) she starts off as a 3yo in & at what distance but I'm expecting her to pop up somewhere & hopefully at a price. Rio.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Horse - Mazaaher Trainer - Marcus Tregoning Not talking about anything really special here but this is a colt who has had the three runs required to obtain a handicap mark and he can enter that sphere off 67 now which looks more than fair given what he's shown so far and with the potential to do better. It's obviously a bit of a punt with a horse who has only had three career starts and returning for a second season but Tregoning has a much better record with 3 year olds than 2 year olds so that's less of a concern and I'm hopeful this one will have trained on nicely. He made his debut over 7f on heavy ground at Yarmouth but his pedigree largely suggests a sounder surface is more ideal. Twice ran on the all-weather subsequently but had things far from go his way there. Was slowly away from wide draws on both occasions. The race over a mile at Lingfield was run at a steady pace where he took a hold and then they turned it into a sprint from the front and it didn't suit. He was forced extremely wide and kept on under a tender ride but had no hope given his track positioning through the contest. Ran with plenty of credit back over 7f at Kempton on his final start when making eyecatching headway up the straight before finding a door or two slammed in his face. Wasn't given a hard time afterwards (eased final strides) and although he probably wouldn't have won or anything, would have been plenty closer with a clear run. The form of his maidens look pretty solid and although his pedigree gives mixed messages with regards to a trip, a soundly-run mile is probably about right for the time being (can race enthusiastically). Never really got the chance to race more prominently in maidens due to slow starts/wide draws so that's another possible angle for improvement and I just feel he could be a handicapper to follow this season for Sheikh Hamdan Al Maktoum.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Not always the best at these at the start of season or at any point but great idea BH! I shall put forward Dance and Dance Slipped a little way down the handicap and should be able to get into the big field handicaps again which he ran well in several times in 2011, looks like making reappearance this weekend either at Donny in Lincoln or perhaps the conditions race at Kempton. I would expect to see him at Royal Ascot and Goodwood this summer!

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Excellent start guys, really interesting to read. Will set up the Nag me list later tonight so i dont miss any:ok I'm a bit rubbish on the flat so any help here is useful:lol Should provide some good banter too i hope throughout the season.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Foxy Music - Trained by Eric Alston Dropping like a stone in the weights and although only has 4 career wins and is now a 9 year old horse, I think this horse will strike at some point this season, possibly on it's reappearance race. Last season came back from a 172 day break off a mark of 87 at Nottingham and lost by a shoulder to a horse rated 105 carrying the same weight. Has form on soft ground so if running on that ground should be in the mix. Last run was at Southwell which wouldn't have suited, 0 wins from 10 runs on the AW (2nd once in those 10 runs only decent form) and it's last run on turf was off a mark of 85. If it runs on reappearance off a mark of 80-82 perhaps I hope it may go close in a 5 furlong sprint at Chester perhaps (has good form at that course).

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season High Jinx Trained by James Fanshawe 5yrs old Has run well on good, good to soft and heavy ground Cup horse, could go for Yorkshire Cup or Ascot Gold Cup Needs a trip of around 2m, might get from 14f to 20f Should be winning at least at Group 2 level Was only 4 years old last year but ran with great credit to finish 2nd to Mount Athos in the Silver Cup at York, 2nd to Times Up in the Lonsdale Cup at York, 2nd to Times Up in the Doncaster Cup and 2nd to Molly Malone in the Prix Du Cadran, finishing in front of horses such as Colour Vision and Saddlers Rock. Should be stronger now at 5 and the older stayers often do well, has stayed on really well at the end of races and is still quite lightly raced with just 10 starts under rules and finished in the first 3 eight times. Big fan of this horse, ridden well by Graham Lee, could go well this season.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Greatwood - L.Cumani 3yo rated just 84 at the moment after three starts as a juvenile. Kicked off at Leicester where he was green as grass and stayed on strongly to snatch second and then didnt seem to have learnt much at Salisbury next time out when third. Opened his account at Kempton on the AW which makes me think they wanted to protect the handicap mark a bit for this season when tackling longer trips and that race was late October so they could have kept the maiden status if they wanted. Rumours that he is aimed at the Tattersalls Million race in April and that will obviously decide which route they go down but could turn out to be a slow burner and have a good season in the Heritage Handicaps or better? *If it doesn't work out i'll probably switch to Pearl Secret who will be in line for the top sprints later on in the year.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Have been told to watch out for a horse this year....... *Noble Bacchus* Trained by Tom Dascombe Has had 3 poor runs to date, but am told will come on this season and win races. Never been really put into races previously, is an obvious handicap plot! Given a very low rating of 60, related to an Irish Oaks winner, Dascombe yard have big investers coming in, he will be training Group and Listed winners in 2013....... A trainer to stay on the right side of imo.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Good start, 12 horses on the list all with different trainers, good all round bunch of selections from various trips and grades, set up the email alerts and ready to rock. Come on all you newbies, a good chance to start getting involved in the forum, whats the worst that can happen.;) Heres a good list off the net if your struggling; Here :ok

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Yes a very good list so far. Would have been a bit awkward if we all picked horses who would line up against each other all season :lol I don't know what it says about me but I dreamed about my horse last night. Turned out he was sold to Mark Johnston to race in America - he won his handicap debut, then lost in a Group 3 before winning a Group 1 :eek Missed all those races though as my alerts don't come through for the US. I'm a sad act.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season vodka time trained by pd evans a 2 year old indian haven colt ran 2nd at doncaster on debut,heavy ground will appreciate firmer surface would like to see a low draw 5 furlong at chester could see this horse win more than it loses this year

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Jamaican Bolt (Pivotal) - trained by Geoffrey Oldroyd. This 5yr old Gelding was fruitful to follow last season and gave me the lasting impression that he could improve again for the extra maturity. Climbed in handicap from mid 70s to mid 90s over last season and raced consistently over the minimum distance and he is very much one for the softer ground. He boasts 3 wins from 10 outings to date, and overall 7/10 placed efforts, form which included being beaten by only a neck (finished 2nd) in a C2 handicap race at Doncaster. Has placed on his only effort at 6f the season before last which bodes well for his chances in competing for his first start this term at Doncaster on saturday where he is moved back up to 6f trip.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Great idea, Graham :ok Aqua Ardens, trained by George Baker Lightly raced 5yo with only 9 runs under his belt. Cost 130,000 as a juvenile but was subsequently sold for just 13,000. However, I'm convinced this one could win a handicap or 2 this season but, more importantly, I'd expect him to pop up at a price. Bred to stay 10f+ yet has been campaigned exclusively at either 6f or 7f. Generally, this horse has been finishing well in his races and probably should have got up lto on the AW over 6f. That said, mark remains unchanged at 65, dropping from 77 12 months ago. Strong pace over a mile or even a 1m2f should see this horse at his best. Should go ok on most ground but best form likely to be with a bit of cut. Entered up twice on Monday at Yarmouth, either a Class 6 over 7f or Class 5 over 1m. No surprise to see him pop up first time up.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season Great idea this lets hope we can do it justice. FLASH CITY Elusive City (USA) (6.9f) — Furnish (Green Desert (USA) (7.9f))

Flat placings 4554123/24845/382432U79- [TABLE=class: grid right, width: 627]

[TR] [TH=class: first left, align: left]LIFETIME RECORD[/TH] [TH=align: right]STARTS[/TH] [TH=align: right]WINS[/TH] [TH=align: right]2NDS[/TH] [TH=align: right]3RDS[/TH] [TH=align: right]WINNINGS[/TH] [TH=align: right]EARNINGS[/TH] [TH=align: right]BEST TS[/TH] [TH=align: right]BEST RPR[/TH] [TH=class: last, align: right]OR†[/TH] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: first left, align: left]Flat Turf[/TD] [TD=align: right]15[/TD] [TD=align: right]0[/TD] [TD=align: right]3[/TD] [TD=align: right]2[/TD] [TD=align: right]£0[/TD] [TD=align: right]£14,604[/TD] [TD=align: right]89[/TD] [TD=align: right]89[/TD] [TD=class: last, align: right]81[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: first left, align: left]All-weather[/TD] [TD=align: right]6[/TD] [TD=align: right]1[/TD] [TD=align: right]1[/TD] [TD=align: right]1[/TD] [TD=align: right]£3,238[/TD] [TD=align: right]£4,315[/TD] [TD=align: right]83[/TD] [TD=align: right]86[/TD] [TD=class: last, align: right]85[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: first left, align: left]Rules Races[/TD] [TD=align: right]21[/TD] [TD=align: right]1[/TD] [TD=align: right]4[/TD] [TD=align: right]3[/TD] [TD=align: right]£3,238[/TD] [TD=align: right]£18,919[/TD] [TD=align: right]—[/TD] [TD=align: right]—[/TD] [TD=class: last, align: right]—[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] This 5yo 5F sprinter hasn't set the world on fire as you can see above and i am taking a bit of a punt here no wins on turf thus far but i think Flash City is well capable of picking up a middle to lower range handicap this coming flat season and most likely at a tasty price. I feel this horse should have a better strike rate than it has at present being a bit quirky doesn't and hasn't helped. A horse that wants to get on with it, comes out of the stalls all guns blazing leads most of the way but gets done late on. I just think one day soon with a bit of luck everything will drop right for this horse who is best with a bit of cut in the ground its current mark is 81 could be a bit more lenient on what it has achieved to be honest but i think it can win at around this mark. Can go well fresh and is entered at Musselburgh for a C4 5F race on Sat where the ground is sure to be on the soft side. Has run here once before which was last June in a C2 5F race on good to soft was 2nd off current mark 81 so should have a chance if turned out the very decent Tom Eaves is booked (Trainer has currently two horses entered for the race with Eaves booked for both so may not go!) and who was on the horse for its only win at Southwell. Will post up time price etc if it is a goer on fri/sat.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season JAKEY Trainer: Pat Phelan Owner: Allen B Pope Half brother to 7-9f AW winner Palm Pilot out of a 1m 1f 3yo AW winner who was a half sister to Eclipse winner Mount Nelson, Great Voltiguer winner/St Leger third Monitor Closely, 8-10f winner Stone Of Scone, 12f 3yo winner Apparel and 7f 2yo winner Singersongwriter. He made his debut outing in a 7f maiden at Kempton last November, going off an unconsidered 25/1 chance; broke slowly and raced at the rear of the field as a result, travelling better than most and making progress into midfield over two furlongs out, failing to trouble the principals but staying on into seventh behind Melvin The Grate (beaten 8¾ lengths). He shaped as though there would be better to come somewhere along the line, likely to appreciate a bit further than the seven furlongs he tackled on debut (ought to stay 10f in time); not beyond the realms of possibility that he could pick up a small maiden somewhere, but likely that handicaps will provide him with the platform on which to shine. But really because thats my sons nickname.

Re: The PL Nag Me List ~ Flat Season

Great idea, Graham :ok Aqua Ardens, trained by George Baker Lightly raced 5yo with only 9 runs under his belt. Cost 130,000 as a juvenile but was subsequently sold for just 13,000. However, I'm convinced this one could win a handicap or 2 this season but, more importantly, I'd expect him to pop up at a price. Bred to stay 10f+ yet has been campaigned exclusively at either 6f or 7f. Generally, this horse has been finishing well in his races and probably should have got up lto on the AW over 6f. That said, mark remains unchanged at 65, dropping from 77 12 months ago. Strong pace over a mile or even a 1m2f should see this horse at his best. Should go ok on most ground but best form likely to be with a bit of cut. Entered up twice on Monday at Yarmouth, either a Class 6 over 7f or Class 5 over 1m. No surprise to see him pop up first time up.
Been following this one for a while myself, Definitely better than a mark of 65.

Great idea BH! Horse - Educate Trainer - Ismail Mohammed I am going to put up Educate who runs in the Spring Mile on Saturday. I think he will win on Saturday and turn into a really decent horse this year. Being gelded seems to have been the making of him and has helped him stamp out some of bad habits such as pulling hard or playing up in the stalls. He has won his last 2 races on good to firm and heavy so ground is no problem with him. His win at York was particularly impressive as he was carrying top weight on heavy ground and won with plenty in hand. Yes that was only a class 4 handicap but I think there is massive amounts of improvement in him this year. With a good trainer in Ismail Mohammed and I can see this one bagging one of the big handicaps during the season. Another horse I will be following is the 2 year old Hydrogen who I have a couple of ante-post wagers on but I will put up Educate.
:clap Great call 8/1 winner:clap. Great start for the thread.

Great idea BH! Horse - Educate Trainer - Ismail Mohammed I am going to put up Educate who runs in the Spring Mile on Saturday. I think he will win on Saturday and turn into a really decent horse this year. Being gelded seems to have been the making of him and has helped him stamp out some of bad habits such as pulling hard or playing up in the stalls. He has won his last 2 races on good to firm and heavy so ground is no problem with him. His win at York was particularly impressive as he was carrying top weight on heavy ground and won with plenty in hand. Yes that was only a class 4 handicap but I think there is massive amounts of improvement in him this year. With a good trainer in Ismail Mohammed and I can see this one bagging one of the big handicaps during the season. Another horse I will be following is the 2 year old Hydrogen who I have a couple of ante-post wagers on but I will put up Educate.
Well done mate, that's some start! :clap

:notworthy that was a great shout! Well done indeed CPO.