** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Bent AW Racing.....

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Now there is a name from the past...Terry Ramsden, Fearless were gambling was concerned, Bought a horse a few days before the National once, had a unconfirmed bet of 100k e/w at 20/1...Rambo battered it to finish 4th, poor animal never the same afterwards. He done 5 years(i think) in max usa security prison for share plundering. Made his money from doing the tokyo stock market. Always had a blonde on his arm, that was 10 inch taller than him, Met him once at Newbury, bought the whole bar bill on a wet wednesday afternoon, he was good to many people who then kicked him in the gutter when he hit the buffers, Trainers took the piss out of him imo. If he has a gamble and collects its only what he deserves.:ok

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Take a look at...if you have a 1/2 hour to spare. He clearly states about how bent british racing is, and how the bookies have the game by the short n curlies..and this was before any exchange. 1997. He was a gambler, never been anyone like him before or since. I tip my cap to the man, life was for living! www.youtube.com/watch?v=etKD36cwqDY

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Prince James - 1700 Wolves - run down the field last 3 runs, stepped up in trip today and won bravely under a great ride from G Gibbons. Backed in from big prices last night yet drifted on course. Now this sort of thing, I don't have such a massive problem. The step up form 6f to 1m is and was proven to be significant (so it will be said) and although it's hard to swallow the improvement, you can almost (you have to!) excuse it!!! The difference between this gamble from a 'dodgy' stable is that they 'gambled' on the horse to show improvement over a step up in trip and that's good on em - it's not as if the result wasn't in doubt at some point in the race. For me, The Secret Millionaire (runs tomorrow?) showed an inexplicable reverse in fortune and form over the same CD that he had flopped on previously. I know not everyone appreciates the 'integrity of racing' and what I consider an essential aspect of it's longevity - that of at least having to 'appear' straight. I know it's 'Punters Lounge' but I do worry about the sport if Stewards coninue to accept such weak excuses for improved form. It's not practical, but if they chucked this sort of winner out, would corruption be stopped in it's tracks??

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Trouble is Saint, no one has the balls to make these decisions on the day, which is the only day that counts for us punters! No good banning and fining people a couple of weeks down the line is it i'm afraid. Nothing will change i dont think anytime soon to be honest, it does strike me as it nearly always happens on the AW or is that my imagination? Cant remember too many scandals over jumps lately or in the decent races, or are they just less visible? Its a big problem for sure and if it worries people so much then they have to take a decision to avoid the AW altogether or just accept that sometimes you will get caught out. Maybe best to wait closer to the off until you bet and lose the odd point, surely you can make up the missed profit by just one bet you have avoided? Interesting stuff:ok

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Like you, I am 99% sure that it will never happen - it's far too radical/sensible for the Jockey Club. Wouldn't it be interesting if it did?! It would, of course cause uproar in the shops if payments were withheld and the shops would largely be against it (throwing horses out for too large a degree of improvement etc) - if the punter can't get the money back in their pocket then they can't stick it in the nearest FOBT or bet on the next race/49s or virtual flies racing up a wall - 1/2 the pair!!! Not through choice, I am pretty much exclusivly on the exchanges now - saves me being ripped off!! I know the following is only a 'moment in time' but do bookmakers actually employ market makers anymore?! I've given up trying to have more than £20 on with VC but surely if you have a book of say 130% (30% being the profit margin), if you shorten 6 of 11 runners, you should probably think about lengthening a few too!!!! If they can't run a book properly or competently then wait until the exchange market is formed and copy that. It's pure greed. [ATTACH]4107[/ATTACH] I very much hope you are right though BH - in the respect of it being rife on the AW. I suspect it is as bad in every sphere but because the AW cards are so polarised, it sticks out like a sore thumb. I know there are punters who welcome corruption and gambles because they can make them pay - Good on them - have no gripe with that.... For me though, Bookmakers DO make enough mistakes in Group Race odds(to make a profit from if you can get on!) although unqestionably they make more in lower grade stuff. It's about the long term for the sport and it isn't straight - noone could pretend otherwise and I just wonder why the hell next to nothing is being done about it!!!!??

post-378-14429284951947_thumb.jpg

Re: Bent AW Racing.....

Not through choice, I am pretty much exclusivly on the exchanges now - saves me being ripped off!! I know the following is only a 'moment in time' but do bookmakers actually employ market makers anymore?! I've given up trying to have more than £20 on with VC but surely if you have a book of say 130% (30% being the profit margin), if you shorten 6 of 11 runners, you should probably think about lengthening a few too!!!! If they can't run a book properly or competently then wait until the exchange market is formed and copy that. It's pure greed.
Why would the bookies run a book properly when the mugs leap like lemmings off the cliff to back at SP? Chris Forwood writes in the Mirror on Saturdays, last week he highlighted a race at Lingfield during the previous seven days where the overound in an eight runner handicap came to 127%. Now apparently there were only four bookies at the track & they have to record the SP from them & they get paid £150 to turn up or there are no SP's, the attendance was less than 200 of which about 50 were paying customers is it any wonder that it's open to manipulation so the SP punters get stiffed. The only way to stop the bookies fiddling is to put in place a Tote monopoly like in France, do you want that? I don't. As for stables fiddling it's nothing new, it's gone on for as long as the sport as been around. Can anybody on here honestly say that if they got wind of a gamble going down they wouldn't gleefully join in? It's all a game, at the track you used to duck & dive trying to get the best price, now I don't because they're all laying the bets off on Betfair where the true market is & I do what they do & use my phone. If I'm betting with an online firm I take an early price where I can see what the overound is, if I don't like it I don't bet. It's still a game, just different rules. Rio.

Why would the bookies run a book properly when the mugs leap like lemmings off the cliff to back at SP? Chris Forwood writes in the Mirror on Saturdays, last week he highlighted a race at Lingfield during the previous seven days where the overound in an eight runner handicap came to 127%. Now apparently there were only four bookies at the track & they have to record the SP from them & they get paid £150 to turn up or there are no SP's, the attendance was less than 200 of which about 50 were paying customers is it any wonder that it's open to manipulation so the SP punters get stiffed. The only way to stop the bookies fiddling is to put in place a Tote monopoly like in France, do you want that? I don't. As for stables fiddling it's nothing new, it's gone on for as long as the sport as been around. Can anybody on here honestly say that if they got wind of a gamble going down they wouldn't gleefully join in? It's all a game, at the track you used to duck & dive trying to get the best price, now I don't because they're all laying the bets off on Betfair where the true market is & I do what they do & use my phone. If I'm betting with an online firm I take an early price where I can see what the overound is, if I don't like it I don't bet. It's still a game, just different rules. Rio.
You're right!!! They only want mugs - that's it in a nutshell!! I suppose I can't blame Bookmakers for running books to as big a percentage as they can get away with so it's my idiot fellow punters that I am perhaps frustrated with!! The problem is, it's rapidly being proven that you can make decent money following the market so whilst there are obviously alot of lemmings out there, some of these have evolved and become so proficient with the markets they are ahead - IF they can get on at the best price. If you continually get on at a higher price (I wanted to back On The Hoof @ 13/2 but it lasted 4 minutes!) then you are lumped in with the lemmings and you can't get on anyway!! As for a Tote Monopoly - for about 20 years in the game on both sides of the counter, I have been against it completely. However, now Bookmakers can pick and choose their customers without repurcussion, I am starting to wonder if it would be such a bad thing... For me, it would depend how accurate the 'guide' prices were and how much they changed towards the off. Like you, I wouldn't want to be betting without knowing what price I was on at... This having been said, haven't we almost got a Tote Monopoly already - it's called Betfair and it returns SP to around 100%. As far as I can see, it would be a fairer world all round if Betfair ran the betting market and Bookmakers were forced out of the market that they steal from, abuse and cheat in without consequence. Have the Bookmakers realised that their current practice of banning/restricting customers, shortening wothdrawn horses to increse Rule 4s and advertsing FOBTs and multiple bets has turned the tide against them?? Could this be a reason for Ladbrokes purchasing Betdaq? I don't have the brain to work this trail of thought through at the moment.... :unsure I completely agree that fiddling, coups and whatever else one wants to call them have always been there - absolutely - doesn't make it right though. Another positive argument for a Tote/Betfair monopoly? Good Post Rio - as always:ok

Re: Bent AW Racing..... There wasn't much wrong with secret millionaire IMO if anything you could blame the handicapper for dropping it so much. If it is owned by terry Ramsden that would explain why it shortened up so much. bookies are only interested in mugs and these early prices are next to useless as any clued in punter can't get on even to small amounts. Betting xchanges are the only way forward I am afraid.

Belgian All-Weather racing is even more bent... worst non-trier I've ever seen. :loon
What?! Bit like the Champion Hurdle ride on Harchibald!!!! Ha ha! That is shocking. Love the comment underneath the video; 'Young German Girl auditions her 'talents' for British Horse Racing....' Jockey Club would have seen nothing wrong!

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Belgian All Weather? Wow, just wow. Someone from Betclic told me not to go near Belgian racing ever: after a few conversations to find out why, I'm going nowhere near it. Belgium really is a corrupt little place. Moving to France, I went to Wissembourg once. Lovely course (genuinely nice, I really enjoyed it. A really good day with the family sort of place) but saw some obviously bent races. It was obvious some local punters had picked up on it as well. Its obviously more a feature of the less good or minor tracks. Terry Ramsden owns Jake The Snake as well.

You're right!!! They only want mugs - that's it in a nutshell!! I suppose I can't blame Bookmakers for running books to as big a percentage as they can get away with so it's my idiot fellow punters that I am perhaps frustrated with!!
Yes but without the mugs the smart punter makes nothing, the smart punter knows he gets the money from the mugs & the "old enemy" is just the middle man. Betfair is exactly the same they take the 5% off the winning side without any worries, they don't even have to worry about an unbalanced book like the traditional bookie.
As for a Tote Monopoly - for about 20 years in the game on both sides of the counter, I have been against it completely. However, now Bookmakers can pick and choose their customers without repurcussion, I am starting to wonder if it would be such a bad thing... For me, it would depend how accurate the 'guide' prices were and how much they changed towards the off. Like you, I wouldn't want to be betting without knowing what price I was on at...
Bookmakers have always picked & chosen their customers & probably always will. In terms of "guide prices" I've looked at the likely divi on course as the runners have been going in the stalls & the declared return has usually been light years from what you'd expect, even at a big meeting with strong pools. I once suggested to the Tote that when a certain amount was in the win pool that a punter should be able to take a price shown on the screens, needless to say that went down like a lead aeroplane & they seem happy enough taking their £2 bets from the punters of the female kind on course. I can't help thinking they've missed a trick, if you increase turnover but make more from a lesser percentage take from the pool then your in front. As for Ladbrokes taking on Betdaq I'm not sure, both they & Hills dabbled with spread betting & soon took off like scalded cats when it became clear they were fishing in the wrong pond, it remains to be seen where that marriage ends.
I completely agree that fiddling, coups and whatever else one wants to call them have always been there - absolutely - doesn't make it right though. Another positive argument for a Tote/Betfair monopoly?
The sentiment I would agree with, however is there any better feeling than "Getting one over on them" even if it's your fellow punter that suffers in the long term. Rio.

Yes but without the mugs the smart punter makes nothing, the smart punter knows he gets the money from the mugs & the "old enemy" is just the middle man. Betfair is exactly the same they take the 5% off the winning side without any worries, they don't even have to worry about an unbalanced book like the traditional bookie.
Yep! I can't stand adverts and bravado about taking the Bookies money as nothing could be further from the truth. In the long run, the Bookmaker is purely an agent that takes in all the money and hands it back out to the punters (less their profit) in different portions with successful punters getting more back! I don't have the figures to hand and I can't remember expenditure but I'm pretty sure Bookmakers clear over 5% - added to which they have FOBTs to back them up too and Betfair charge a maximum of 5% - less to customers that turn more money over. There's an idea as I type.... BHA run Exchange - abolish Bookmakers and put the profit back into racing, injured jockey fund, professional stewards etc. Pie in the Sky - not in my lifetime I don't suppose but I do see the benefits.
Bookmakers have always picked & chosen their customers & probably always will.
Again true - but since the exchange markets have become so accurate and strong, any punter with a clue is lumped in with traders/arbritage merchants and banned after 2 or 3 bets - that definatly never used to happen - not so easily anyway. How Bookmakers are able to promote FOBTs and Multiple Bets, Scorecasts and the like whilst banning others willy, nilly is beyond me.
The sentiment I would agree with, however is there any better feeling than "Getting one over on them" even if it's your fellow punter that suffers in the long term.
That's the thing though Rio - It's great to get 6/1 over something that hacks up at 2/1 but all my bets are based on form. The gambles that go on are part and parcel of the game but let it not be forgotten that it's not the Bookmakers money in the long term. It's others Punters money who are stupid (ME!!!!) enough to either lay the horse directly at 3.0 when they feel that on form it should be 50s or the losing punters who have gone for a more traditional approach to the race other than following the stable that are about to 'have it off' because they have been handbraking! I know I've either got to put up or shut up but the fact remains - if the Jockey Club or whomever grew some balls the game would have to straighten itself out surely...?! Bookmakers are everywhere sponsering everything - many big races and other events. There is too convienient a relationship between all parties in racing and it needs shaking up!!! Too many high up the food chain who are happy as they are and happy that the game stays corrupt - they must be!!! There is no other explanation. Seem to have ranted for a change there!!!! Ha ha! Anyone know of any countries where Racing is straight(er)? What's their model for success in this area. NOT DUBAI!!!! Appreciate they don't have betting out there :)

What?! Bit like the Champion Hurdle ride on Harchibald!!!! Ha ha! That is shocking. Love the comment underneath the video; 'Young German Girl auditions her 'talents' for British Horse Racing....' Jockey Club would have seen nothing wrong!
Hercule Poirot would have spoted something was wrong, as for Sean Boyce..Not sure, he would have found mitigating circumstances.

There wasn't much wrong with secret millionaire IMO if anything you could blame the handicapper for dropping it so much. If it is owned by terry Ramsden that would explain why it shortened up so much. bookies are only interested in mugs and these early prices are next to useless as any clued in punter can't get on even to small amounts. Betting xchanges are the only way forward I am afraid.
Until you have to pay the huge charges on bet unfair..I hoping Ladbrokes coin all the market by offering some deal to get the majority of liquidity in there, bet unfair will truely be fooked if that happens

Nothing will change i dont think anytime soon to be honest, it does strike me as it nearly always happens on the AW or is that my imagination?
Corruption in the NH scene is just as rife. Don't want to name names but a certain Welshman is utter filth. I haven't backed a 'hooped' runner for some time either. impossible to know if its off or not. The common denominator is that its the poor racing that they target so, as a punter, I think we just ignore all of the low grade stuff. Its not racing, its a parading of meat at the slaughter house. They gut butchered in the saddle to get them over 3m on heavy ground and if they fail they get sent to the Dalepak factory and turned into a burger. You know its a bad race when the horses have more pieces of headgear on than they have wins in their career

Corruption in the NH scene is just as rife. Don't want to name names but a certain Welshman is utter filth. I haven't backed a 'hooped' runner for some time either. impossible to know if its off or not. The common denominator is that its the poor racing that they target so, as a punter, I think we just ignore all of the low grade stuff. Its not racing, its a parading of meat at the slaughter house. They gut butchered in the saddle to get them over 3m on heavy ground and if they fail they get sent to the Dalepak factory and turned into a burger. You know its a bad race when the horses have more pieces of headgear on than they have wins in their career
All the low grade racing is rife with it, whether it be turf, AW or NH in my opinion, stables landing gambles. Not sure which Welshman you are referring to and I'm sure you wouldn't put it up here which is fair enough, but I'll never forget the Dai Rees gamble last year on Changing Lanes, think it opened at around 10/1-12/1 and went off even money favourite and hacked up. Presenters on ATR laughing afterwards about the 'big gamble' and they've 'had it away' there etc which can't do much for a new punter's confidence when he's backed the 2nd favourite perhaps and a horse with recent form of PU-12-5-PU-PU is even money favourite and wins. Like a few have stated on this thread, I think I may stick to the higher class racing, both over jumps and turf, sure there's more value to be had if most are trying.

Re: Bent AW Racing..... Well Guys, if the 6.50 at Kempton tonight is not enough to put you off this rancid corrupt racing nothing ever will, and after watching the race, if you ever have another bet on the all weather, dont cry about being had off. Martin lane on the FAV, 7/4, but drifted and drifted and IR after 20 yards went to 10/1....But back to the race, the horse was never ever given a chance to show its merits. But yet again this stinking stuff never gets looked into. I have said for some time now, this will stop only when someone gets had off who will be the wrong people to have off...Then bang bang someone will get it. The industry thinks they are insulare from the real world....They better start making contingency plans to when it happens, and it will. I give it 12 months before someone will be taken out. People do now for alot less.

Re: Bent AW Racing..... To crack this nut, I reckon you have to think like a bent trainer and bet like one. So a mug owner buys a donkey and sends it to me to be trained. It hasn’t run before so the mug punters don’t really know how bad the nag really is. What do I care. The mug owner is paying all the costs, which is enough to cover my costs and give me a bit of profit. I put the word out on the street that this horse has sparkled on the gallops. It hasn’t because I forgot to train it. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load cos if I lays it, the HRA slaps my wrists. Big pay day cos the horse comes last. I make some lame excuse ‘hated the ground’, ‘didn’t get the trip’ yada yada. A couple of weeks later, I put the word out on the street that the horse is now spot on. It isn’t because I forgot to train it, again. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load. Big pay day cos the horse comes last again. I make some more lame excuses ‘bad draw’, ‘no pace in race’ yada yada. A couple of weeks later, I put the word out on the street that the horse is now spot on. It isn’t because I forgot to train it, again. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load. Big pay day cos the horse comes last again. I make some more lame excuses. That’s it. Done with the horse cos mug punter won’t swallow any more of my BS. If it ever runs again, its odds will be bigger than John M’s mouth. Owner takes it to another yard. So a mug owner buys a half-decent horse and sends it to me to be trained. I forget to train it and enter it into a couple of races and it comes nowhere. Meanwhile, my ‘agent’ is laying it. Because of its past, its odds start rising. When they are good and high, I remember to train it. When the horse is spot on, I drop it down in class and find an egg and spoon race. I back it at big odds, it romps home, I collect large. Next time it runs, its odds are low. I forget to train it for the race, instruct my agent to lay it large. It comes mid-field, I collect large. I can play these games for a long time with mug punters – did I train it or not? I might even tip the owner the odd wink here and there – just to keep him sweet. So a mug punter buys an animal that turns out to be a bit of a star. I can do what I want with this type of horse. I can enter it into some top-class races. If it isn’t spot on, I enter it and instruct my agent to lay it. If it is spot on, I enter it and back it e/w or to place. I can do with the horse whatever I want. Based on the above, corruption can exist at any level of the sport. Does the above happen? Who knows.

To crack this nut, I reckon you have to think like a bent trainer and bet like one. So a mug owner buys a donkey and sends it to me to be trained. It hasn’t run before so the mug punters don’t really know how bad the nag really is. What do I care. The mug owner is paying all the costs, which is enough to cover my costs and give me a bit of profit. I put the word out on the street that this horse has sparkled on the gallops. It hasn’t because I forgot to train it. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load cos if I lays it, the HRA slaps my wrists. Big pay day cos the horse comes last. I make some lame excuse ‘hated the ground’, ‘didn’t get the trip’ yada yada. A couple of weeks later, I put the word out on the street that the horse is now spot on. It isn’t because I forgot to train it, again. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load. Big pay day cos the horse comes last again. I make some more lame excuses ‘bad draw’, ‘no pace in race’ yada yada. A couple of weeks later, I put the word out on the street that the horse is now spot on. It isn’t because I forgot to train it, again. It starts at low odds. I instruct my trusted ‘agent’ to lay it for a shed load. Big pay day cos the horse comes last again. I make some more lame excuses. That’s it. Done with the horse cos mug punter won’t swallow any more of my BS. If it ever runs again, its odds will be bigger than John M’s mouth. Owner takes it to another yard. So a mug owner buys a half-decent horse and sends it to me to be trained. I forget to train it and enter it into a couple of races and it comes nowhere. Meanwhile, my ‘agent’ is laying it. Because of its past, its odds start rising. When they are good and high, I remember to train it. When the horse is spot on, I drop it down in class and find an egg and spoon race. I back it at big odds, it romps home, I collect large. Next time it runs, its odds are low. I forget to train it for the race, instruct my agent to lay it large. It comes mid-field, I collect large. I can play these games for a long time with mug punters – did I train it or not? I might even tip the owner the odd wink here and there – just to keep him sweet. So a mug punter buys an animal that turns out to be a bit of a star. I can do what I want with this type of horse. I can enter it into some top-class races. If it isn’t spot on, I enter it and instruct my agent to lay it. If it is spot on, I enter it and back it e/w or to place. I can do with the horse whatever I want. Based on the above, corruption can exist at any level of the sport. Does the above happen? Who knows.
Not far from the truth in many cases, You forgot the rancid pieces of meat on top..Even when the horse is ripe, the Eddie Aherns of this world(and there are dozens more) have their own agenda. We really should not even look at form on the AW its worthless, I reckon if you were to back only horses that had a 30% or above swing in from their opening show, you would be in profit. My advice dont wate hours of your life each day going thru AW form, it all adds up to 1 +1 =3.

Not far from the truth in many cases, You forgot the rancid pieces of meat on top..Even when the horse is ripe, the Eddie Aherns of this world(and there are dozens more) have their own agenda. We really should not even look at form on the AW its worthless, I reckon if you were to back only horses that had a 30% or above swing in from their opening show, you would be in profit. My advice dont wate hours of your life each day going thru AW form, it all adds up to 1 +1 =3.
Yeh, I did forget the rancid pieces of meat. My apologies - but I didn't want to make the issue any more complex than it already is. I look at the form, not to figure out the horse's capabilities, but to figure out what the trainer might have been up to with the horse in the past. This gives a good pointer what he may do with the horse in the current race. I Completely agree with the 30% swing. However, it's not just AW form I don't trust, it's ALL form, ALL horses, ALL race types, All Classes.

Re: Bent AW Racing..... a certain owner with green and gold hoops, trained by jonjo and ridden by tony mccoy has SENTIMENTAL JOURNEYrunning in the 3.50 tow. running off its lowest ever mark (3lb lower than winning mark) doesnt look great on paper but has halved in price!!!!! maybe a bit harsh to put in this thread but interested to see if money keeps coming in the morning currently 7.9 on betfair

secret millionaire is in again at lingfiled, will be odds on and the racelooks a shocker!!!!! now will it hack up or at that sort of price will it be an ideal sort to lay!!!!!! Anyone got terry ramsdens number?????
At this stage, I would have to say that it will probably hack up but, to be more certain, I'd like to watch the betting.

330 Lingfield - Neige Detan - Never seems to be out of first 2 - just gone from 3s to 13/2 in ten minutes and still climbing? Apologies if it's bolted or got lose - am not next to TV at present
Late money into 9/4 and practically last :unsure

Re: Bent AW Racing..... 3.30 ling, NIGE DENTANT, 6.4 4th in on the exchanges, but went off 9/4 fav, false fav...and finished 2nd to last...Tony Enniss just sumed it up, its happening far to often on the all weather, false prices at sp. How the hell you try and work it out in the shop. Yep you got to love the bookies for forcing their own prices up:wall