PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March  

1. 1.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March Congratulations Duncan, well played! Tube is not 24hrs, but runs til 1am i think and starts again at 5am. The Fox is on Shaftesbury Avenue which is near to Leicester Square, Oxford Circus etc, so stay anywhere near there and its a 5 min walk, nice area too so no problems really. Hotels are a problem in Central London on Fri/Sat nights, and your looking at around £200+ for a nice reasonable one. However, what I usually do is look just outside (great if your driving and if its on a tube line then even better) The best hotel I can find for you, is the Hilton Croydon, which is on a tube line and only 16 mins to Victoria Station, where you can connect to all of London, the room for 2 people for 2 nights (fri/sat) is just £96!!! Thats bookable on Expedia now. If you want Central London, the best I can find is Hilton Kensington for £202 for same details Hope this helps mate

Re: PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March

If we're going to that there London next Friday I'm going to need some local advice on where to stay Friday and Saturday nights - reasonably priced with reasonable parking, assuming it's a good idea to avoid trying to drive and park opposite the club ? Does the tube run 24 hours ? Thanks
The more I try and look into this the more expensive three days in London at this short notice is getting. Starting to look like I'm better waiting for Stoke or Sheffield, if I'm allowed ?

The more I try and look into this the more expensive three days in London at this short notice is getting. Starting to look like I'm better waiting for Stoke or Sheffield, if I'm allowed ?
Well played and good luck in London. You are allowed to transfer it to Stoke or Sheffield or any other GPS event, as I understand.

Congratulations Duncan, well played! Tube is not 24hrs, but runs til 1am i think and starts again at 5am. The Fox is on Shaftesbury Avenue which is near to Leicester Square, Oxford Circus etc, so stay anywhere near there and its a 5 min walk, nice area too so no problems really. Hotels are a problem in Central London on Fri/Sat nights, and your looking at around £200+ for a nice reasonable one. However, what I usually do is look just outside (great if your driving and if its on a tube line then even better) The best hotel I can find for you, is the Hilton Croydon, which is on a tube line and only 16 mins to Victoria Station, where you can connect to all of London, the room for 2 people for 2 nights (fri/sat) is just £96!!! Thats bookable on Expedia now. If you want Central London, the best I can find is Hilton Kensington for £202 for same details Hope this helps mate
Cheers Graeme Would like to play at Fox, especially if there is to be another league, so I've booked the Croydon Hilton (same price on booking.com except £98 includes free cancellation, just in case). Will work out rest of our plan tomorrow or saturday to hopefully confirm seat required for day 1c asap. Thanks. ps. I've no doubt Avon would be able to tell me the tube is not 24 hours ! (looked at Stoke but clashes with our Olympics equestrian tickets and Sheffield not until November, leaving Edinburgh as next best) :ok

Re: PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March Congratulations. In terms of accomodation, be warned that Croydon is a fair old trek. I am not convinced that there is a tube nearby, so it would likely be an overground train and a bus/taxi from the station. As above, the last tube in central london is around midnight/12.30a.m.. Last overgrounds are likely around the same time/slightly earlier. I am guessing that you may have to get to London Bridge to then get a train to Croydon. If using public transport, and Day 1 finishes post midnight, you may end up having to get a cab which, all the way to Croydon (if they even take you (London cabs are funny like that, you tell them where you want to go and they decide if they can be arsed taking you)) could be £40ish. If that's the case you may want to consider splashing out a bit more on somewhere closer to the Fox. You are going to be looking at 100+/night for a hotel in London though. I would consider something around the Edgeware Road/Paddington area (4 or 5 stops on the tube to Picaddilly Circus direct on the Bakerloo Line), numerous buses and night buses, that will take you to Piccaddilly Circus or a significantly cheaper taxi than one to Croydon. Accomodation there will range from the Hilton Metropole (pretty much opposite the Vic) which seems to be around £130/night to numerous guesthouses/b&bs. Just be careful if googling B&Bs on Edgeware road as that is a massive road so you want to be near the station. Anywhere around Baker Street, Edgeware Road, Paddington or Marleybone would be fine if you can find something that suits your budget. Congrats again and hope this is of some help.

Re: PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March Cheers stand_free and thanks for the advice, which I have read now that I have come back to post that I am all booked (as usual I like to rush in and act on impulse). Decided not much more expensive and less hassle to go by train for once, when considering cost of petrol and parking and congestion charge, and better to stay central london rather than the commute from croydon (but only due to likely finishing times of the poker). Have ended up booking the Gracechurch Hotel, City of London at 80p over £100 a night. Could have been closer but not too far as the crow flies and a bit more comfort than some of the nearer offerings in the same price bracket. As ever with these things - cheaper not to win the ticket ! :ok

Re: PL Exclusive - Genting Poker GPS League - Grand Final THURSDAY 22nd March WP Dunc - I am playing on the Friday too so shall see you there! Re transport from croydon - you can get a very quick train from East Croydon train station into Victoria -takes 15 mins or so. Then a short tune ride to Leicester Square which is very close to Fox.