Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012

mowgli77

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012

Don't rate SC? I think he's looked very good so far. Yep, don't like AP on the novices that need to travel. It's kinda why I've still got faith in Darlan. :D
I think Bobs Worth will beat him in the RSA. Kempton didn't suit BW at all. 2m5f will be wide open, that's definitely his race. I've never been a fan however.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 For some reason I just feel Cheltenham is better suited to Al Ferof. The class of SS may well be too much for him on the day but I have missed the prices with SS now. I can't bring myself to back him at that short, given the crappy record of favourites in the race. Think the last favourite to win was Azertioup or however you spell it. Where do you reckon Simonsig well end up? I am hoping the Supreme but I think Henderson has plenty of other horses he can aim at that one plus Simonsig probably wants further. Binocular and Bobs Worth have had breathing op's

For some reason I just feel Cheltenham is better suited to Al Ferof. The class of SS may well be too much for him on the day but I have missed the prices with SS now. I can't bring myself to back him at that short, given the crappy record of favourites in the race. Think the last favourite to win was Azertioup or however you spell it. Where do you reckon Simonsig well end up? I am hoping the Supreme but I think Henderson has plenty of other horses he can aim at that one plus Simonsig probably wants further. Binocular and Bobs Worth have had breathing op's
I've never understood people saying "favourites have a bad record" for a particular race. Shouldn't a horse be judged on merit? I mean who in his right mind would say Medermit and Captain Cee Bee deserved to be favs in the last 2 Arkles? They were blatant lays.

I've never understood people saying "favourites have a bad record" for a particular race. Shouldn't a horse be judged on merit? I mean who in his right mind would say Medermit and Captain Cee Bee deserved to be favs in the last 2 Arkles? They were blatant lays.
I see what your saying, the horse doesn't know he is the favourite and yes the horse should be judged on merit but some trends for some races are pretty strong and for some reason or another they seem to happen year after year. I think with the Arkle you get so many good horses in the race that if your even slightly below par on the day then you will get beat. In regards to Medermit, who should have been made favourite for the race? Captain Chris came into the race on the back of 3 defeats by 2 of his opponents in the Arkle. Both of them were ahead of him in the betting and neither of them got anywhere near him in the race.

I see what your saying, the horse doesn't know he is the favourite and yes the horse should be judged on merit but some trends for some races are pretty strong and for some reason or another they seem to happen year after year. I think with the Arkle you get so many good horses in the race that if your even slightly below par on the day then you will get beat. In regards to Medermit, who should have been made favourite for the race? Captain Chris came into the race on the back of 3 defeats by 2 of his opponents in the Arkle. Both of them were ahead of him in the betting and neither of them got anywhere near him in the race.
Yea, maybe you're right. Then again Captain Chris made a terrible blunder at Sandown and almost caught him on the line, so a case could've been made.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Humm another strange one. He may well get a place but I can't see him winning this at all. If Al Ferof wins the VC then there is a chance that he may well go for this race (which I hope he doesn't) but then Wishful Thinking is struggling for even a place. To tip this up to win is very bold. Surely there are 3 horses possibly 4 that are better than him. He was given a ridiculous ride at Sandown on his first attempt at the trip but surely he won't be winning this is the Irish horses turn up.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 I think it's a difficult race to work out. The novices from last year weren't a great bunch imo. Finian's is just a default fav. The horse that represents value is Forpady. Forpady has form in the book with top two milers and has ran well in behind Big Zeb and Noble Prince twice this year. Somersby is a horse I've always liked and backed for the CC last year. I wrote I thought he was a two miler and I'm starting to think it again. He was going well last year when making his trademark error which lost him places at the worst possible time. He's ran Sizing Europe and Master Minded close in the past but 13/2 looks about right. Al Ferof might of course be a cut above, and I'd be tempted to back him and Somersby as savers. Al Ferof is one I just can't see running badly, surely gonna be in the frame.

I think it's a difficult race to work out. The novices from last year weren't a great bunch imo. Finian's is just a default fav. The horse that represents value is Forpady. Forpady has form in the book with top two milers and has ran well in behind Big Zeb and Noble Prince twice this year. Somersby is a horse I've always liked and backed for the CC last year. I wrote I thought he was a two miler and I'm starting to think it again. He was going well last year when making his trademark error which lost him places at the worst possible time. He's ran Sizing Europe and Master Minded close in the past but 13/2 looks about right. Al Ferof might of course be a cut above, and I'd be tempted to back him and Somersby as savers. Al Ferof is one I just can't see running badly, surely gonna be in the frame.
Similar conclusion to me. I went through the horses for an assessment I wrote and Al Ferof just looks the soundest bet to me. Finian's is a good horse with a big motor but can make a mistake, and yes will come on for Kempton, but he'll need to because it wasn't the best of races with Wishfull Thinking seemingly not at his best (and probably better over 2m4f) and Oiseau De Nuit so close - even though I know both the 1st two made bad errors. Think he's short at 7/4 anyway. I have Somersby down for third - good form at Ascot, back to two miles and I reckon he'll reverse form with Gauvain here. Williams' and Wishfull Thinking can battle out 4th. I don't really agree with Forpady although I see where you're coming from. Bound to run his race but I reckon he's a bit flattered by his two runs behind Big Zeb really when he's had the run of the race. I don't personally think he'll make the three but could possibly beat one or two of those I've mentioned I suppose. We shall see...my instinct has this down as the finishing order: 1. Al Ferof 2. Finian's Rainbow 3. Somersby 4. Gauvain 5. Wishfull Thinking 6. Forpadydeplasterer 7. Oiseau De Nuit 8. I'm So Lucky

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Champion Hurdle - 13th March: Peddlers Cross 1pt win 100/1 Betfair With another leading contender dropping out today and Hurricane Fly's fitness still to be proven in public this season, there might be worse bets than a few pounds on Peddlers Cross. He was the only one who got close to Hurricane Fly last year and his shrewd trainer Donald McCain may see this race as the best opportunity for Peddlers Cross at the Festival. Still only seven, Peddlers Cross could easily pick up his chasing career next season.

Champ Chase looks a 2 horse race. Can Big Zeb reverse form with Sizing or will SE be too quick? I'm not so sure what I'll back' date=' but can anything get near them at all?[/quote'] I wonder if they would be tempted to drop Captain Chris back in trip and go for this, it looks a bloody awful race and as you say can't see past Sizing and Zeb at the moment.

I wonder if they would be tempted to drop Captain Chris back in trip and go for this' date=' it looks a bloody awful race and as you say can't see past Sizing and Zeb at the moment.[/quote'] Agree, but he would require supplementing now... For now, I have SE down as a good thing. Sitting on a tasty ante-post voucher too :p

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Can't wait for the weekend, with all the Cheltenham trials and top quality racing. Most interesting for me is the top 3 in the betting for the Triumph clashing. I am hoping Grumeti comes out on top

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Pricewise tomorrow I think is putting one up for the world hurdle? There's a few that have shortened today... Mikael D'Haguenet, Zaidpour and Our Father. The last seems to have shortened the most so I reckon that is the one he will put up. Probably w/o Big Bucks market