** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012

mowgli77

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012

If I wasn't already on' date=' I'd back Rubi Light for the Ryanair. Still value and will take a very good horse to beat him imo.[/quote'] Agree. Showed today that he didn't have the class to compete at 3 miles IMO, and connections surely have to feel the Ryanair is very winnable.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 I thought Captain Chris did run well to be honest. Johnson never settled him at all which was the problem. Of course, this could happen next time but he stayed on well again. Really not sure what to say about Synchronised. I was shocked he won if I'm honest but I'm not of the opinion it means Rubi and QDLR are dogs just cause he won, they are clearly not. Sprinter Sacre is the one from Christmas, outstanding. He is a massive star. I am very excited about him. Grands Cru was awrsome as well. I hope he goes to the Gold Cup, Pipe said he will hold an entry but the way I read the interview it was a huge possibility.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 It has to be, with hardly any big players boasting that top class form. RSA is there for taking which might be the problem, beating the likes of LR and KS as a novice is obviously a huge ask, and maybe it'll put them off. 8/1 with Lads NRNB is the way to go I think, if he lines up unbeaten on the day he won't be 8s.

Might be wrong' date=' but swear I read a quote from the owner of CC saying he hopes it's going to the Gold Cup and was delighted with the run?[/quote'] Might be an year too early. I really don't know what they're doing. It should have been Wishful Thinking over 2m5f and tilt at the King George and then GC, because he is the 3 miler. Captain Chris could have stayed 2m or 2m4f and gone Champ Chase or Ryanair. They are campaigning both of them wrong.

Might be an year too early. I really don't know what they're doing. It should have been Wishful Thinking over 2m5f and tilt at the King George and then GC, because he is the 3 miler. Captain Chris could have stayed 2m or 2m4f and gone Champ Chase or Ryanair. They are campaigning both of them wrong.
That's the conflict between trainer and owner though isn't it? The owners want the prestige of their horse running in the top class pattern events and would rather take a chance in a Gold Cup where they might finish 5th or 6th than go for an easier race where you'd expect them to finish at least first 3, if not win the race. With regards to the Gold Cup, I thought Ruby won the race in the King George due to tactics. If he had held it up a long way and brought it with a late run like he's done in the past I don't think he'd have got that same reaction these days. It was enjoying bowling along prominently, seeing every fence and jumping like a stag and it was up to the rest to peg it back. Another half furlong and Long Run would have beaten it in my opinion, needed to be up with Kauto earlier. I think if we had seen a jockey like Ruby Walsh on Captain Chris we'd see a very different performance. Kauto was beaten a long way in the 2010 King George behind Long Run and Riverside Theatre but you can't say it didn't stay and I think it's too early to write off Captain Chris. It's just a shame it will have that numpty Richard Johnson on its back, he's useless. You can't give good horses at this level an 8 length start and expect to reel them in late on unless you have a known bridle horse that finds something when popped a question. Holding it up for most of the race is fine, it's when to make that move and close on the leaders that many jockeys seem to get wrong. Disappointed with First Lieutenant so far this season, not interested in that ante post now at all. Sir Des Champs still one to keep an eye on though. Frustrated that Hurricane Fly still hasn't seen a course. :wall

You see Ruby' date=' Barry an AP giving cracking rides every day and you have Dickie with stinkers day after day. Menorah, CC, Pateese, Mostly Bob.. there are so many examples only from this season. How are there people, who rate him, is beyond me.[/quote'] King George - Dickie Johnson on Kauto Star, Ruby Walsh on Captain Chris - different result?

You see Ruby' date=' Barry an AP giving cracking rides every day and you have Dickie with stinkers day after day. Menorah, CC, Pateese, Mostly Bob.. there are so many examples only from this season. How are there people, who rate him, is beyond me.[/quote'] Are you putting your ante post Cheltenham bets in your thread? I usually start getting some decent money down around January when I have an idea where horses are heading and I know you do well with yours too. As soon as Sizing Europe got confirmed as dropping back to 2m for the QM last year I was on at 14-1. Had Alberta's other year at 28.0 on Betfair, was SP of 7-1 on the day. Now is the right kind of time to be placing ante post Cheltenham bets for me. Longer term I am looking at Junior for the Grand National, currently 20-1 with a few bookies. :ok

Are you putting your ante post Cheltenham bets in your thread? I usually start getting some decent money down around January when I have an idea where horses are heading and I know you do well with yours too. As soon as Sizing Europe got confirmed as dropping back to 2m for the QM last year I was on at 14-1. Had Alberta's other year at 28.0 on Betfair' date=' was SP of 7-1 on the day. Now is the right kind of time to be placing ante post Cheltenham bets for me. Longer term I am looking at Junior for the Grand National, currently 20-1 with a few bookies. :ok[/quote'] Thinking of giving thread a bit of a break in the new year. Have few other things going separately from racing and just don't have the time for constant tipping as it has been until now. Will stick to daily threads and bbotd in 2012 probably.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Not saying he would have won but it was not a good ride. Never settled at all, was always behind struggling and that was obviously not cause they were going too fast early on! If he had been switched off he could have been closer I think, don't think he would have been good enough to win, no but for him to come third the way he did I think it was a positive. Not sure what Hobbs has done to some of his top prospects really this season in particular. Hoever I will be backing Fingal for whatever race he goes to at the Fes I think

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 pity they didnt think of the usual arkle winner route as the trend is to run in the QM chase at the festival and has a great record I put CC in this year for that race specifically, seems to be a reverse Somersby as i cannot fathom as to why it has taken Henrietta 3 years to run Somersby over 3m !! Thats another for the Ryanair that should be taken into account, Somersby that is

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Hen has ruined Somersby, mate. I wouldn't touch him anymore. He's just gone for me. I don't think CC would've won or gone close at all. Yes he didn't settle, but seemed to struggle, then challenged, then didn't stay. The last part is the most important, he won't stay in the Gold Cup. Him not settling could have a bit to do with his bad scope. He probably didn't have proper preparation. I like Hobbs a lot, I think he trains horses very well and I love the way they are improving. You have those 130-140 rated hurdlers and chasers and they seem exposed, but they still have another win in themselves. He trains those types really well. Still to be convinced he can train the Grade One's properly however, but I wouldn't judge him until Dickie retires and Tom O'Brien is stable jockey.I just think Dickie ruins horses. I'm sorry, but the two rides he gave Wishful Thinking in the Paddy Power and at Sandown were just plain stupid.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Anyone else think Walkon was impressive on debut over fences? I thought he jumped beautifully and absolutely bolted up against Zaynar who won a grade 2 next time by 9lengths and Notus de la tour who pushed blackstairmountain close the other day. Does anyone know what race he will be aimed at for the festival?

Anyone else think Walkon was impressive on debut over fences? I thought he jumped beautifully and absolutely bolted up against Zaynar who won a grade 2 next time by 9lengths and Notus de la tour who pushed blackstairmountain close the other day. Does anyone know what race he will be aimed at for the festival?
Jewson I would imagine. They'll all be avoiding Al Ferof and Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle knowing they are playing for 3rd.

SS won't be there. So many probable Ryanair horses this year. Captain Chris, Medermit, Rubi Light, Great Endeavour, Riverside Theatre, Guavain, Somersby, Noble Prince. Surprisingly looking forward to it despite not really liking the race.
The status of the race has grown markedly in the past few years. I really like it myself. Think it's the only one from the Grade 1 chases that offers proper value. Champion Chase and Gold Cup markets are usually pretty accurate, but odds-compilers have no idea how to price up the Ryanair.

Mowgli do you think CC would've won the KG or gone close with a diff jockey onboard? Just outclassed imo' date=' and trip looked too far. Don't think it was that bad a ride.[/quote'] I'm not sure it would have won but you are hoping a jockey puts it in the race and gives it a fair chance. You might be able to hold it up at Cheltenham and come late with a run if others tire up the hill but on a flat speedy track like Kempton you can't adopt those same tactics and expect to reel in the leader from miles back. I can't say it would have beaten Long Run and Kauto Star as it simply might not be good enough but I'd like to have seen it given a proper chance and then if it fades and is well beaten I could say it's simply not good enough rather than a poor ride contributing to the distance it loses by. :ok

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 The next at Cheltenham (3.50) is a Listed bumper that should test the Champion Hurdle credentials of Trespasser. His stablemate Population is shorter than him in the ante-post market but a bold run from the former in the next could see his 25/1 price shorten.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 Does anybody know when WAAHEB is due to run, J P has bought him i hear but is he still with dermot welb or has he switched yards?? Any info welcome as he's up the top of the market in supreme novices for the fez.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 I backed Trespasser the other day for the Champion Bumper... i can probably kiss that goodbye after today's performance. I have also backed Waaheb for Cheltenham. I am pretty sure he is still with Dermot Weld although not sure when he will be reappearing.

Re: Ante Post Jumps Thread 2011-2012 What do you guys think of Oscar Whiskey taking on Big Bucks? He was mightily impressive yesterday and I reckon he could really give Big Bucks a run for his money. As short as 5/1 now but you can still get 7/1 and it looks as though he will definitely be going for this race. To me if he runs he is nailed on for a place at least. Im very tempting by 7/1 EW. Oscar Whiskey has great engine and I reckon he can improve for the step up in trip. Nothing else in the race for me apart from VLV.