Cpo's Horse Racing Thread

cpo

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread Wow my love for Meydan is slowly ebbing away. Didn't get to see any of the races live as I was at Uni all day but have just watched them back. Reem kicked off the day and I don't really know what to make of the ride he was given. He was bang there coming into the straight and the jockey just let him fall back into the field and never ever went after him. I don't know if there was something wrong with him but Soumillion did absolutely nothing on him to get him to pick up. Internationaldebut ran well to nab 2nd in a race that wasn't run to suit. I thought Nicholls rode a good race dictating the pace and packing them up. Once he kicked the others could not respond until it was over. My selection will be seen to better effect in a bigger field where a strong pace is pretty much guaranteed. The only good thing was that I picked this one for my BBOTD. Small profits but it made the day slightly easier to take. The less said about the 2nd two horses the better. Mendip just didn't pick up but I don't think many horses would have beaten the winner today. He looked mightily impressive and will definitely go on to bigger and better things at the fesitval this year. He only finished just over 3 lengths behind the winner of the Dubai World Cup last year so who knows. Alkimos was just painful to watch. I doubt he would have been good enough to win but he was looking for room at a vital stage and just could not get out. Once the gap did appear, Frankie was not hard on the horse and just let him come home at his own time. -8pts today

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 6.10 Wolves Desert Strike 1.5pts EW @ 12/1 William Hill Generous odds for this horse as he is as low as 7/1 with other firms. The horse is clearly in great form at the moment. He won without much assistance in the saddle under this jockey over 5f at this track a couple of runs ago and followed that up with a good run at kempton last time out. That day he was slowly away but picked up in eye-catching from the back to finish a never nearer 5th under Shane Kelly. Nora Looby takes the ride again for this as she was on board when he won 2 runs ago. She has won on the horse before over CD and has ridden the horse several times in the past. Sometimes he can be slowly away but over 6f around here it may not matter so much as it did last time out over 5f at Kempton. This looks a good little handicap but Desert Strike is in good form, goes well for this jockey and has a good strike rate on the all weather.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 1.00 Lingfield The Happy Hammer 1.5pts EW @ 6/1 Bet365 This horse drops in grade here and gets the first time blinkers. I have my doubts over the Keith Daglish yard at the moment and think the favourite is worth taking on. THH is a CD winner and Lingfield is clearly his favourite track with form figures of 2-3-1-2-1-2-4. He never runs a bad race at the track and this represents his easiest assignment to date at Lingfield. He did run last night where he was in behind an easy winner but if allowed to take his chance he must have a chance of at least making the frame. It was this time last year when he hit form with 2 wins and a 2nd at the track. William Carson gets on well with the horse and has won on the horse a few times.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 4.40 Wolves Pytheas 1.5pts EW @ 10/1 Bet365 This horse has only 1 win to his name but that win came over CD a few runs ago. He has ran respectably in 4 out of the 5 races since that win and he caught the eye last time out at Lingfield. In that race he was rode by a young 7lb claimer who couldn't get him to settle and even though he pulled throughout the race, he still finished off well. Today Joe Fanning takes the ride which could make a big difference. There are a couple of last time out winners who will go well but at the prices I like Pytheas who could benefit from stronger handling tonight.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 6.20 Dundalk Dash Back 2pts EW @ 5/1 Bet365 Nearly a max bet for me at Dundalk tonight. He isn't the most consistent of horses but he ran well last time out and he looks too well treated to ignore. Dash Back won over CD just over a year ago off a mark of 78 with the jockey taking off 3lbs. Tonight he is running off 63 with the jockey taking off 10lbs so that makes him 22lbs lower, taking into account the jockey's claim. He can put in the occasional stinker but I do believe he is better at 6f. The worry for me is the draw and the inexperienced jockey on board but he looks to have a great chance of going in. The fact he has to carry 10stone here is offset slightly by the jockey and I am hoping for a big run.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 6.10 Wolves Ghostwing 1.5pts EW @ 5/1 Bet365 Didn't want to have too many bets today but I think 5/1 is a great price for this horse. Broke the track record at Southwell last time out and is still well handicapped on old form. Good draw in 2 and should get the perfect trail into the race from Punching. Main danger has the worst of the draw so he looks to have a massive chance of at least making the frame.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 3.05 Warwick Cotton Mill 5pts win @ 3/1 Coral Going to max bet this horse who I believe could turn out to be a very smart recruit to hurdling. He was initially with William Jarvis on the flat and did show some good form whilst with him. He never truly got to show us what he could do on the flat with just 4 runs but he is now in the care of John Ferguson who is definitely a trainer going places. No young trainer will be given the ammunition that John Ferguson has been given in his first season and this is due to his long-term working relationship with Sheik Mohammed. Cotton Mill is impeccably bred being sired by Tiger Hill who has sired multiple group winners including the now ill fated Rewilding. This horse is bred to be a decent flat horse, but every chance if taking to hurdling that he can become an even better horse over the jumps. On his first start for over 406 days and first start for his new trainer he absolutely bolted up by 6 lengths never having to come off the bridle. He jumped well on the whole but had a slight look at the last hurdle. I got the impression he had plenty of gears if needed. Last time out he was even more impressive romping home by 22 lengths beating 127 rated Sublime Talent. Again he never came off the bridle and was only given a few shakes for him to put plenty of daylight between him and the two horses chasing him. The times of his race wins have been slow but he can only beat what is put in front of him and can’t have looked any more impressive. Tomorrow is obviously a different kettle of fish as he now steps up into grade 2 company which I think he will more than cope with. The only danger in the race for me is the favourite who is unbeaten himself. He has looked just as impressive over hurdles and Emma Lavelle has a good record in this race. He was made to work a little harder, than my selection last time out on heavy ground at Haydock but he is well bred for the jumping game. He is by Flemensfirth who has produced several top class horses over jumps including the likes of Imperial Commander and Tidal Bay. I don’t see anything else getting into the race and these two should have it between them. I just favour the John Ferguson animal as I am fascinated to see how good he can actually be. This is obviously his first true test but if he wins this then a possible Cheltenham date may be on the cards. John Ferguson’s record over hurdles is not too shabby with 12 wins from 30 runs and a further 5 places. His record in the last 2 weeks is 4 from 7 operating at a 57% strike rate. Jack Quinlan must be thanking his lucky stars that he is the jockey that gets to ride all of these horses.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 2.30 Warwick Dorset Square 1.5pts EW @ 12/1 VC Bet This handicap hurdle race is as competitive as they come but I really like the claims of Dorset Square. He has been trained by Willie Mullins all of his career but changed stables after his last win at Cheltenham. He is now in the care of Sarah Humphrey who is more than capable of keeping him in good form. Dorset Square won last time out and beat the talented Oscargo into 3rd. That horse won next time out at Cheltenham by 9 lengths and would have gone close last time if he had not fallen. Dorset Square travelled through that race powerfully and was always looking like a threat. He was made to battle by Petitfour who re-opposes again in this race. He however has had 2 tough races behind Big Bucks since that race and I think he will struggle here. Dorset Square seems to relish these big field races as his last 3 wins have all come in races with more than 15 runners. They seem to suit his running style as he likes to be switched off out the back and make his move through the field as they all start dropping away one by one. It’s interesting that Daniel Mullins keeps the ride on him even though he has switched stables. There is a good meeting at Punchestown tomorrow and he has come over from Ireland for the one ride. A big run must be expected. He is 8lbs higher here but the race he won at Cheltenham was a better race than this one. I think he has every chance of at least running into the places. Not much point in going through the opposition as there are so many dangers with the main dangers probably being Lightning Strike, Water Garden and Barwell Bridge. I backed Barwell Bridge last time out as was tempted by him in this but I just prefer the claims of Dorset Square. Sarah Humphrey is in great form at the moment with 3 winners from 5 runners and hopefully this one can improve those stats.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 3.40 Warwick Blazing Bailey 1.5pts EW @ 9/1 William Hill I like the look of Blazing Bailey here who is now back down to his last winning mark which came at Ffos Las back in February last year. Charlie Huxley also takes the ride which takes 3lbs off his back which will help. He is a 10 year old now but showed last year that there is still plenty of talent still there and still more races to be won with him over staying trips. His record in January is quite something with 4 wins and a 2nd coming in the last 6 years. The turn of the year seems to be the time to catch him and although he comes into this on the back of being pulled up in the Welsh National, I think he has a good chance. Alan King has won this race the last 2 years and I have no doubt that horse will be spot on for this renewal. The stable are in decent enough form and they look to have a new staying horse in Hold on Julio but Blazing Bailey has been a stable start for many years now. He does like it around Cheltenham but has never raced at Warwick. I see no reason why he won’t handle the track and he goes on any ground. This represents the easiest race he has competed in this season after finishing a good 8th in the Hennessey before being pulled up at Chepstow. Blazing Bailey bids to give Alan King a hat-trick in this race and I think he will go close. This is competitive but my selection has a touch of class about him, even at the tender age of 10. Charlie Huxley is in good form at the moment and is operating at +£26.88 level stakes profit. Strongbows Legend is a horse I backed in the Sussex National where he was sent off a well backed favourite but fell when still going well at the 10th fence. I see him as the main danger to Blazing Bailey.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 12.25 Lingfield Kiss a Prince 3pts win @ 11/2 Bet365 This horse has been well backed already and he looks to have strong claims. He is 6lbs below his last winning mark and he ran well last time out at Wolverhampton. He looks ready to strike and this is his favourite track. Shane Kelly has ridden the horse before and this race looks as though it will be set up for something coming off the pace. Whodunit won well last time out but he will find it hard to dominate this field. Trip the Switch is in great form and is probably still ahead of the handicapper and he looks to be the main danger.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread

12.25 Lingfield Kiss a Prince 3pts win @ 11/2 Bet365 This horse has been well backed already and he looks to have strong claims. He is 6lbs below his last winning mark and he ran well last time out at Wolverhampton. He looks ready to strike and this is his favourite track. Shane Kelly has ridden the horse before and this race looks as though it will be set up for something coming off the pace. Whodunit won well last time out but he will find it hard to dominate this field. Trip the Switch is in great form and is probably still ahead of the handicapper and he looks to be the main danger.
Stress free day assured :drums

3.05 Warwick Cotton Mill 5pts win @ 3/1 Coral Going to max bet this horse who I believe could turn out to be a very smart recruit to hurdling. He was initially with William Jarvis on the flat and did show some good form whilst with him. He never truly got to show us what he could do on the flat with just 4 runs but he is now in the care of John Ferguson who is definitely a trainer going places. No young trainer will be given the ammunition that John Ferguson has been given in his first season and this is due to his long-term working relationship with Sheik Mohammed. Cotton Mill is impeccably bred being sired by Tiger Hill who has sired multiple group winners including the now ill fated Rewilding. This horse is bred to be a decent flat horse, but every chance if taking to hurdling that he can become an even better horse over the jumps. On his first start for over 406 days and first start for his new trainer he absolutely bolted up by 6 lengths never having to come off the bridle. He jumped well on the whole but had a slight look at the last hurdle. I got the impression he had plenty of gears if needed. Last time out he was even more impressive romping home by 22 lengths beating 127 rated Sublime Talent. Again he never came off the bridle and was only given a few shakes for him to put plenty of daylight between him and the two horses chasing him. The times of his race wins have been slow but he can only beat what is put in front of him and can’t have looked any more impressive. Tomorrow is obviously a different kettle of fish as he now steps up into grade 2 company which I think he will more than cope with. The only danger in the race for me is the favourite who is unbeaten himself. He has looked just as impressive over hurdles and Emma Lavelle has a good record in this race. He was made to work a little harder, than my selection last time out on heavy ground at Haydock but he is well bred for the jumping game. He is by Flemensfirth who has produced several top class horses over jumps including the likes of Imperial Commander and Tidal Bay. I don’t see anything else getting into the race and these two should have it between them. I just favour the John Ferguson animal as I am fascinated to see how good he can actually be. This is obviously his first true test but if he wins this then a possible Cheltenham date may be on the cards. John Ferguson’s record over hurdles is not too shabby with 12 wins from 30 runs and a further 5 places. His record in the last 2 weeks is 4 from 7 operating at a 57% strike rate. Jack Quinlan must be thanking his lucky stars that he is the jockey that gets to ride all of these horses.
Max bet drift... Bonus!

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread A good day at the office today with 2 from 4 winning. In the other two races both Barwell Bridge and Strongbows Legend were horses I backed last time out and both were placed but I can't grumble! Kiss a Prince won easily in the end. He had to travel widest of all throughout the race but picked up really well to sweep past the whole field. The race was run to suit but everything panned out perfectly for him. Cotton Mill was also impressive I thought. Travelled well into the race and showed true battling qualities to forge ahead near the line. He probably needs to brush up on his jumping but he looks a very smart prospect. The big disappointment of the day was Dorest Square who never ever got into the race. There was a big drift on the winner and he would have definitely interested me at that price. Blazing Bailey was also disappointing and never got into the race. Very pleased though as today I had my first max bet for a long time and it came off... with interest! :cow +37.5pts

good winner there mate' date=' ferguson record in last 14 days is excellent:ok[/quote'] Thanks :ok. The bookies are starting to get wise to him now, as plenty of his horses are going off pretty short but they keep obliging. Going to be so interesting to watch him over the next few years as he is going to get ammunition that no other trainers get. Horses with top class flat pedigrees, that are being sent over the jumps. If he can get them to jump then a fair few of them are going to be half decent. That's what I think anyway!

Great stuff mate. I should accidentally ban you more often. :lol
Haha good plan. Next time do it the day before Meydan and I might just find a winner :ok How come you haven't been on much Monte? You taking a break from it all or having fun spending all your winnings? On a serious note, it's much appreciated lads! This thread hasn't exactly started off too well but I am hoping to improve this year and turn things right around!

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 1.50 Kelso Realmont - bet to follow Will post up my bet when a price is available in the morning but this horse is fascinating runner tomorrow. Hopefully Kelso will get the go ahead but there has to be a doubt as it's rather cold outside tonight. Realmont made his debut for Donald McCain at Ffos Las last month and ran well enough for a long time before tiring towards the finish and finishing well beat. That was his first run for over 2 years so he was entitiled to need it. Plus the ground that day was heavy which won't have helped. What makes Realmont so interesting is his French form from a couple of years ago. This horse finished 2nd to Long Run before finishing 3rd in grade 1 company behind Long Run and Rubi Ball. He was beaten less than 2 lengths into 3rd with the trio pulling 20 lengths clear of the field. Rubi Ball is considered one of the best French chasers and we all know about Long Run. Realmont has obviously had his problems which is why he has been off the track for so long but he should have come on plenty for that run. The better ground here should help and if he can show anything like his old chase form then he would have a good chance here. He is forecast to be an EW price which I think will be a cracking bet considering there are 8 runners. This jockey/trainer combination do well at the track and I expect a much better performance from Realmont with that run under his belt. Hopefully this run won't come too soon.

Re: Cpo's Horse Racing Thread 3.40 Kempton Big Creek 3.5pts win @ 5/1 Bet365 This is a very competitive 12f handicap where I can confidently discount just one of the 10 runners. A few of these also raced against each other last time out, with All the Winds coming out on top. That one should run well again here but I expect it to be very close between that one and the re-opposing Ellemujie and Art Scholar. Refractor has to be respected on his handicap debut and coming from the James Fanshawe yard but he may find this tough going off this mark. He has been backed already but I have had my fingers burnt on similar types from this yard and am willing to take him on. The one I do like is Big Creek who himself has plenty to prove. He showed some very decent form in Italy where he got close to Worthadd several times. He was then switched to Stan Moore and made his debut in Meydan where he was very disappointing. He had 5 more runs for that trainer and never showed anything so was switched to Jeremy Noseda. This will be his 4th run for the trainer and he has improved with every run. Last time out he showed much more over 10f at Lingfield, finishing well from the back. That day he suggested that he might just need a step up in trip which is what he gets here. I think the long home straight at Kempton will suit him and he has been dropped another 1lb. Since moving over from Italy just over a year ago, this hose has dropped 23lbs. It is very possible that Noseda has now got to the bottom of him and I expect him to run a big race here. Jamie Spencer could be enjoying a nice Sunday at home with his feet up but instead he comes to Kempton for this one ride. He rode the horse last time out and he does ride quite a lot for Noseda but I think they mean business tomorrow! He is well bred and should get this extra distance being by Galileo. He is drawn in 3 which means he will be able to drop in just behind the pace. It's possible that the Mark Johnston horse will lead with the first time blinkers on, but Joe Fanning may try and stack the field up with so many of them being hold up performers. It may pay to sit in just behind the pace, as when it quickens you will be best placed to make a move and it won't catch you out. I think he has an excellent chance tomorrow of winning this. I don't mind Jamie Spencer and think this horse has everything right for him to run a big race.

1.50 Kelso Realmont - bet to follow Will post up my bet when a price is available in the morning but this horse is fascinating runner tomorrow. Hopefully Kelso will get the go ahead but there has to be a doubt as it's rather cold outside tonight. Realmont made his debut for Donald McCain at Ffos Las last month and ran well enough for a long time before tiring towards the finish and finishing well beat. That was his first run for over 2 years so he was entitiled to need it. Plus the ground that day was heavy which won't have helped. What makes Realmont so interesting is his French form from a couple of years ago. This horse finished 2nd to Long Run before finishing 3rd in grade 1 company behind Long Run and Rubi Ball. He was beaten less than 2 lengths into 3rd with the trio pulling 20 lengths clear of the field. Rubi Ball is considered one of the best French chasers and we all know about Long Run. Realmont has obviously had his problems which is why he has been off the track for so long but he should have come on plenty for that run. The better ground here should help and if he can show anything like his old chase form then he would have a good chance here. He is forecast to be an EW price which I think will be a cracking bet considering there are 8 runners. This jockey/trainer combination do well at the track and I expect a much better performance from Realmont with that run under his belt. Hopefully this run won't come too soon.
Kelso abandoned