** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Who's the Daddy ? - CANFORD CLIFFS RETIRED

Thought id start this a wee bit early and see what the members all thought. Just like many of yous i have seen many many horse races in my time but i cant remember one as big as this, yipp its no secret am a MASSIVE canford Cliffs fan, i have been tipping him up on this site from the first time he stepped on a race course. It was said even before he ran this year he would not be beat his full season and i stick by that 100% The sad thing is one of them will get beat, Canford Cliffs - Frankel ? 2 great Trainers. 2 great Jockeys. 2 stunning horses ! For me Canford Cliffs is the Daddy, aint that right Monterosso ? No sitting on the fence members, who's the Daddy ? What a race it will be. :eek

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Tough call here. I hoping Frankel gets it. TQ needs to make his move a little later than his last 2 runs. If he conserves his energy then kicks on after the 4f marker and gets a massive lead CC may have a job pegging him back at the finish . Also hoping R Hughes overdoes the waiting tactics like he often does . Come on Sir Henry !!

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Canford is the superior horse. He's got everything needed to beat Frankel and by the time I'm finished backing him, it'll be my biggest ever bet, by a long way too. Frankel won't be getting any massive lead on Canford either. Hughes will be tracking him every inch of the way. Can't wait.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Frankel is going to be near on impossible to beat in his racing career, he's a freak off a racehorse that I've never seen the likes off and it's these sort of horses that make history and mugs of people. It wasn't so long ago we had another wonder horse in Sea The Stars, if I could of counted the amount of times I heard people "trying" to find ways to take this horse on and failing on every occasion you just look back years down the line and question whether they are still in the sport betting or not. You simply can't back against freaks like Frankel, he's only going to get better as the season goes on and potentially next year aswell - he's already won the horse of the year award on the back of his 2000 Guineas perfomance of which we'll never see again probably in our lifetimes and will get stronger the more Tom learns to even out his pace a little bit more. There are no dangers to Frankel, I admit Canford Cliffs is a excellent horse in his own right but even he has faults and quite frankley he won't be getting withing 2-3 lengths of Frankel at Goodwood. The beast has already put to bed a July Cup winner twice and a potential St Ledger winner in the future, he's put to bed Irish 2000 Guineas winner, German 2000 Guineas winner and an Irish Derby winner/English Derby 2nd. He's beat everything and Canford Cliffs will be his next, I am sorry but it's horses like Canford Cliffs that make Frankels the greats in this world, without them we wouldn't know how good the likes of Frankel are, so fair play to the Hannon team for taking their chance here but can't help but seem them fire a misrable bank. On the price note, I think the bookmakers have punters right where they want them and will probably make a profit on those who are going to back Canford Cliffs.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? I think Mr Wilson hit the nail on the head. All depends on Tom Queally in my opinion. If he rides Frankel like he has on the last 2 occasions, I think he will get beat. If he can hold on to Frankel for longer, then I can't see him getting beat. Canford is without doubt a superstar in his own right but Frankel is a once in a lifetime horse... his guineas performance proved that.

Re: Who's the Daddy ?

Canford is without doubt a superstar in his own right but Frankel is a once in a lifetime horse... his guineas performance proved that.
For me, Frankel is like one of those unbeaten boxers who rack up a string of wins against largely mediocre opposition. When they run into a true champion they often have their limitations exposed. I don't believe Frankel's Guineas performance proved he was a 'once in a lifetime horse', all it proved was that he was a lot better than his opponents that day. Does anyone seriously reckon that the likes of Dubawi Gold, Native Khan or Roderic O'Connor could even win a Group 3 race facing older horses over a mile? Perhaps Frankel will be Canford Cliffs, but until that happens it's surely premature to crown him as a 'once in a lifetime horse' on the basis of a weak 2000 Guineas.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? is this the sussex stakes we are talking about ? if so doesnt frankel recieve 8lbs from canford cliffs and if so canford cliffs wont stand a prayer ? personally i'll probably be lumping on zoffany if he runs as the way he closed on frankel in a fast time suggests these 2 wont have their own way in a rematch and zoffany might just trump the pair of them (what a result for the bookies that would be !!!!.....bloody xmas)....zoffany would also recieve 8lbs from canford so for me its just a re run of their last race where frankel only just won and zoffany is rapidly improving still canford cliffs would have the edge at level weights surely so im a canford cliffs fan

Re: Who's the Daddy ? I love both and initially I said Canford but I have changed my mind - its not just visually impressive, its the times as well, his Ascot win I believe was just off a course record, although someone may tell me I'm wrong which is outstanding especially the way the race was run. As if the form wasn't franked Dream Aheads impressive win only boosted his claims in my opinion and I'm starting to think it's Frankels to lose. I won't be betting ni the race but cannot wait. This is what racing is about

is this the sussex stakes we are talking about ? if so doesnt frankel recieve 8lbs from canford cliffs and if so canford cliffs wont stand a prayer ?
You shouldn't think about the concession of weight - it's a weight for age allowance, and there's a reason 3yos get it

You shouldn't think about the concession of weight - it's a weight for age allowance' date=' and there's a reason 3yos get it[/quote'] yes but canford cliffs recorded +0.68 off 9 st and frankel +0.72 i think off 9-0 and when they meet canford has to give frankel 7lbs (effectively a 7lb penalty) and frankel gets another lighter making 8lbs !! so i cant concievably see how canford can beat frankel under these conditions unles he throws it away being silly ? so frankel is already faster on the clock and now gets an 8lb pull .......seems open and shut case to me in last years race canford cliffs was recieving the allowance and hence beat rip van winkle easily .......the weight makes a big difference when the horses are evenly matched

Re: Who's the Daddy ? I'm not suggesting which of the pair would come out on top, just that the weight difference may not be the soundest of reasoning to base your bet on. Canford gives the 8lbs because he is more physically mature than the 3 yr olds. The allowance has been calculated to equalise the difference in maturity between the age groups, so they will run off an 'equal footing'. Frankel is quicker off the same weight by 0.4 on your ratings, that's fine, and Frankel may well win. Just when deciding on whether the horse represents value, I, personally, wouldn't be trying to project an advantage based on the weight allowance - just the speed rating difference.

Canford is the superior horse. He's got everything needed to beat Frankel and by the time I'm finished backing him, it'll be my biggest ever bet, by a long way too. Frankel won't be getting any massive lead on Canford either. Hughes will be tracking him every inch of the way. Can't wait.
A pic from the future Mont. canford-cliffs1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Who's the Daddy ? ha ha, someones getting very excited Jimmy! Its a fascinating race, my heart is hoping Frankel wins as his Guineas win was breathtakingly brilliant, but my head is saying Canford might get the better of him. Frankel is too fast for anything else and even if they put a pacemaker in there he is likely to pull his way to the front of the field earlier than Queally will like, and if he is left out infront for too long he'll be a sitting duck for Hughsey to pick off on Canford.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Evs now with Ladbrokes for Frankel. Had a bit on now but have a slightly suspicion that they'll be a few bookmakers will be wanting to take him on (definitely not Coral, mind). Although I'm not supremely confident, because obviously Canford is a fantastic animal, every horse has his price and Evens is a cracking price.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Excuses excuses, I dont know how many people have been trying to get Frankel beat this year or last year but it must be a good 60% of the betting population and you wonder why bookmakers have been around since the dawn of time! Pleasure to be apart of a fantastic day, I smashed the first 4 races and broke even for the last few races so I'll be going back tomorrow with confidence full!

Re: Who's the Daddy ? No excuses , Richard Hannon claimed in the post race interview that he does not handle Goodwood but surely that is just an excuse , cos CC won it last year. CC is a classy horse but i think Frankel is a potential superstar. Another win in the same manner , maybe over a longer distance and against a field of true Gr1 performers will confirm his superstar status. Thrilled Frankel pissed it today especially for Tom Queally since he's been lambasted quite a few times in recent months for a few rides including his win in the St James's Palace Stakes. I'm almost certain he will become a top class jockey within the next few years . Well done Tom.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? I was reading the post race thoughts of Hannon in the car and he say that he's never seen him hang like that, I instantly thought of the Greenham were he hung half way across the track. Two very off remarks from Hannon suggesting he's a bit bitter by the result and genuinly thought Frankel was there for hte taking today.

Re: Who's the Daddy ? I don't believe CC didn't run his race to be honest. The formline with him and Rasjaman thru Goldikova tie in - CC came off the bridle today as Frankel started winding things up. Won this race last year so the claims of being unsuited by track are ludicrous really and I think there may have been a little bit of straw clutching going on in all honesty. Was just beaten fair and square by a superior horse today in my opinion, as when Tom Queally let Frankel go inside the furlong, the way he pulled away from CC was hugely impressive. If they met again tomorrow, barring incident there would be only one winner in my opinion and Frankel would remain unbeaten :ok

Re: Who's the Daddy ? Amazing horse, obviously the 8lbs extra didn't help CC but Frankel would still win off level weights. I've never seen a horse that could beat anything from 5f to 10 f, I'd love to see him step up in trip and prove it. On a side note, with such an outstanding horse he'll probably be sent off to stud but what do you think the chances are (although admittedly slim) that he'll be kept in training?

Re: Who's the Daddy ? He's definitely being kept in training as a 4 year old barring incidents. One more run this year and then he'll be back next year, confirmed today. The reason that Canford Cliffs has never been off the bridle 3f from home before is because he's never faced Frankel before. Never has he faced a horse with such an unbelievable cruising speed who is then able to kcik off his own pace. Like I stated pre race in my own thread, I genuinely believe Frankel has the most devastating turn of foot in race. Frankel has such a long stride that he forces the opponent off the bridle so early. I was disappointed with Hannon today. His lad was beaten fair and square by simply a better horse. He should have cut the lame attempts at excuses and just admitted that. Poor do from Hannon that, poor do. He will have undoubtedly been disappointed, but to have a dig at the track (where he had previously won) and then say they'd beat him in rematch was ill-informed