** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The "All Green" Grand National 2012

A bit of an overreaction to todays rain on betfair, so i have layed a couple. Whilst rain is forecast until Wednesday, it will only take a couple of dry days to get better ground again. Lets check the forecast in a couple of days. In the meantime: LAY- Black Apalachi £[email protected] 13 years old and not without a chance but dessie hughes was very unhappy with his allocated weight and likely to find a younger one too good for him again. LAY- Synchronised £2 @ 9.6 Hard to see this one winning off top weight after a tough race in the Gold Cup. Still in profit to the tune of just under £100 if he wins.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 I was a bit nervous about the ground for this one but this has put my mind at rest a bit. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Barry Geraghty is hopeful that Shakalakaboomboom can give him a second win in the John Smith's Grand National at Aintree on Saturday. Nicky Henderson's stable jockey won the race in 2003 aboard Monty's Pass and has a chance of repeating the feat on the talented eight-year-old. Henderson has yet to win the National but has trained the son of Anshan for the race all season, with his campaign yielding two wins and two seconds from four runs. The ground is currently soft on the National course with more rain forecast, but that isn't worrying Geraghty either. "He's handled slower ground before," said Geraghty. "He jumps well, he jumped well in the Topham - he just needed further really. "He's been progressing throughout the season and I think he's got a big shout."

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 LAY - Neptune Collonges £2 @ 40.0 As previously stated i think he could do with a few less lbs to carry. Rejected by Ruby Walsh. LAY - According to Pete £2 @ 44.0 Capable of running a decent race but probably lacking in class to win this. LAY - Giles Cross £9 @ 17.0, £6 @ 15.0 I backed this one a few days ago when the rain came. Conditions should be soft enough for him, even with the drying ground and has the stamina to run well. I'd like to leave him alone but there are a few others i fancy a bit more and unfortunately I cant back them all, so i've released some funds. I still have a decent profit if he wins. £25 to play with tonight. I will update and post the final table shortly!

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 LAY - Planet of Sound £2 @ 48.0 Too much weight i think. Stamina doubt. LAY - The Midnight Club £2 @ 40.0 Last year's favourite, didnt take to the fences. Overlooked by Ruby Walsh.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 I think you need a 9/10 year old that has won a Grade 1 race and a chase over at least 3 miles, is carrying between 10st 9lb and 11st 5lb and is running with 49 days. Rare Bob fits the bill and his trainer certainly knows how to ready them for this race. 40/1 is a ridiculous price. Some bookies are paying 6 places so happy days. Paddy Power (shops only) used to offer 100/1 if you could name 10 finishers. Don't think they are doing it this year? Anyone know?

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 Looking at the betting for National,14 horses under 20/1, May be my bad memory but can't remember seeing so many horse so low in price,would be leaving any bookmaker bets till the day of the race now for better SP, BOG and possible 6 places ew.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012

Looking at the betting for National,14 horses under 20/1, May be my bad memory but can't remember seeing so many horse so low in price,would be leaving any bookmaker bets till the day of the race now for better SP, BOG and possible 6 places ew.
Setantabet are already paying 6 places. Victor Chandler went 6 places on the Friday last year. If Synchronised gets any shorter I'd lay him for a place. Currently 13/5 on betfair for a place. If wasn't ready after a 7 week break for Irish Hennessy following his Lexus win, I can't see how he would have recovered from Gold Cup already.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 AK1979 The night before the big event. I hope you can contain your excitement. All the best for tomorrow. I'll be back here afterwards to see how much you've made. Is that the final piece of the jigsaw for you know or are you going to do some last minute tinkering?

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 So after lots of tweaking on Wednesday night, the final table looks like this and it is the strongest pre-race position I’ve been in since I started doing this, so I’m very pleased with that. :) It is certainly the first time I have had a potential 4-figure payout, so I’m hoping Sunnyhillboy does the business! :hope

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 In order of profitability I have: Sunnyhillboy £1005.99 Shakalakaboomboom £641.25 Organisedconfusion £518.97 Becauseicouldntsee £429.87 Treacle £425.05 Killyglen £421.55 Chicago Grey £331.99 Quiscover Fontaine £250 Giles Cross £248.23 Deep Purple £225.80 West End Rocker £203.50 Mon Mome £189.98 Cappa Bleu £113.53 Black Apalachi £109.80 The Midnight Club £104.54 Planet of Sound £99.05 Synchronised £96.94 Always Right £93.90 Neptune Collonges £59.90 According to Pete £53 Swing Bill £49.60 Rare Bob £12.92

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2012 I wont bore you with the reasoning behind my main selections as they are well documented in this thread. One that I probably do need to explain is the fact that I have gone back into Killyglen after laying him last week. My hunch was that he wouldnt stay, as he looked a tired horse to me when he fell. I have misread it i think as the jockey, Robbie Power believes otherwise:

Robbie Power, who won the race on Silver Birch five years ago, will again be on Killyglen who he rode in the race last year. Power told At The Races: "I ride Killyglen and I am really looking forward to it. He was going very well last year and he just left his legs in the fourth last and he could not be going any easier at the time. "He has had a better preparation for this year he had a wind operation and that proved successful when he won at Down Royal on St Patrick's Day."
Of the ones I havent backed, Synchronised worries me the most as he has proved he can carry big weights over long distances in the past. However, he had a tough race at Cheltenham and it was only last year that connections pulled him out of Aintree as they didnt think the race would suit him. Its a tough call but I cant back them all and tough decisions have to be made. Ballabriggs and Junior are other fancied horses that I havent backed for various reasons. Like I say, you cant back them all and i'm content with the ones I am on. Whatever happens, with Any Currency ballotted out, I will be £2 in profit :lol Thanks for following the thread and for the kind comments. Whatever happens tomorrow, i've enjoyed it. Good luck with your bets tomorrow :ok

Brilliant work AK' date=' quite possibly the best thread on the PL. Good luck for tomorrow, Killyglen will do for me ;)[/quote'] No doubt about it, it is the best thread on PL. 22 out of 40 horses running for you, and no risk involved! Now that is called proper punting..

Not to sound like a carbon copy of everyone' date=' but if anyone deserves a result today it's you. Honestly don't think id mind seeing my picks fall at the last to let Sunnyhillboy land the spoils.[/quote'] Thanks mate. Whatever happens, ive enjoyed doing it and I havent lost anything which will make it easier to take if someone like Junior romps home ;) It occurred to me last night, that I might as well use this on something. So the final bet is BACK - Vic Venturi - £2 @ 130.0 A former Becher chase winner , he likes the track and has the stamina for the race. Has been unlucky in this race on his last two attempts, having been brought down. A huge 19lbs lower in the weights this year and has been running well enough this year (mucus in the lungs can excuse last defeat). Thats it from me, im off out for the day now. Good luck all :ok