** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis - 9-16 January

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January

Yeah not sure about this laying either. Is it just for some competition?
I think it is possible acording to Sports-punter rules as one can take bookie odds and lay at them - some percentage is added to the price as far as I know. Agree that it is particularly mnisleading in events with onlz two possible outcomes, but these people post exactly the same thing here as on S-P to be eligible for a higher price.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Bellucci all over the place after failing to serve out the 2nd set @ 5-4. That's the first match of the season for you. Had a late one (not in time to post it here, unfortunately) on Russel +3.5, so fingers crossed Bellucci is man enough to get beaten and finish this match! :hope

Another player going onto the blacklist :D.
I wouldn't necessarily say that but he's got a bit of a history of this. The amazing thing is that Russell was gifting it to Bellucci but he couldn't take advantage of that and played one lazy game @ 5-3 whilst Russell was serving to stay in the match. Things like that can come back to haunt you sometimes.

I'm afraid I'm down with a fever and therefore done watching tennis tonight and maybe for couple days to come' date=' too :( So bad to be addicted to things like that :lol[/quote'] Get well soon then, mate :ok Edit (not to spam :D): Hanescu makes it at very nice odds, Sydney is postponed due to rain though :( Edit 2: Bellucci makes it too then :D He really seemed down at 3-0, so full credit to him. Have not seen the first half of the match, but he was horrible until that 3-0 and then fought back nicely. Russell was playing much better than he was last time I have seen him (Paris - Stepanek swept him away 6-2 6-0),

10pts (8/10) G.Garcia-Lopez (-3) to bt. C.Guccione @ 1.81 at Pinnacle PUSH 10pts (6/10) P.Petzschner to bt. T. De Bakker @ 2.37 at Pinnacle WIN 10pts (6/10) P.Cuevas to bt. R.Haase @ 2.23 at Pinnacle LOSS 10pts (4/10) V.Hanescu to bt. K.Anderson @ 2.78 at Pinnacle WIN 10pts (7/10) V.Zvonareva/F.Penetta Under 21 games @ 1.79 at Pinnacle LOSS
Solid profit thanks to flat staking, Cuevas should have won though :\

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January sorry for that mess last night, it was for sports-punter competition... i wont do it again. back to todays offer i only like the look of florian mayer tb del potro. jmdp is normally one class above the german but he'll need some time to get back to his old form. watched him against f. lopez and he looked rusty, like a wood with no feeling. mayer can bother him with his defensive movement and those boring slices from the baseline over and over again. alternative of that bet is over 22,5 as i dont see anyone dominating here.

Solid profit thanks to flat staking' date=' Cuevas should have won though :\[/quote'] Not sure I can agree with you on that. Haase served out of a tree in the second and third sets. Once he got going, Cuevas was struggling - you can tell that he'll do his best work back on the clay next month.

Not sure I can agree with you on that. Haase served out of a tree in the second and third sets. Once he got going' date=' Cuevas was struggling - you can tell that he'll do his best work back on the clay next month.[/quote'] Fair play to that, but he could have clinched one tie-break, that is for sure. Both had their chances in the second and third sets with few breakballs. Ah well. Good job for taking the right bet there :ok

Decent day yesterday, hoping for a full house tonight though. Taking 3 and was thinking of taking the overs in Peer's match, or possibly her to win, but that is probably just my biased nature towards her. ;) Na Li vs Virginie Razzano- Li -4.5 handicap- 8/13 Bet365- (6/10) Took the handicap yesterday on Li and she didn't fail by creaming Rodionova 6-1 6-2, without a break point to save and looking her solid self. Here she faces a women who is ranked outside the top 100 and wo in truth had a shocking 2010. To think Razzano was once ranked inside the top 20 back in 09, really shows her decline over the past 18 months. Although she's won her last 4 in Sydney, 3 of which were qualifiers, last week she lost to Vania King who is nowhere near Li's standard. As I mentioned yesterday in my write up, Li beat Venus Williams last week and will certianly not be lacking in confidence. Easily managed to clear a 5.5 handicap yesterday against a women with the crowd on her side, shouldn't have many problems in covering a 4.5 today. Flavia Pennetta vs Vera Zvonareva- Zvonareva -3.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365(5/10) Interesting match this one but feel the handicap is way too low for Zvonareva providing she wants to win. Wins against Williams and a demolition of Wozniacki last week, following on from a U.S. open final and achieving the number 2 spot, really impressed with how she's developed her game. Only a few months back I remember her whining and beating herself up over stupid little things which cost her big time, but thankfully she's sorted these issues with herself out. An amazing 2010 for the Russian beating most of the top players at some point throughout the year, and beating Clijsters in Doha would have proved to herself that she can now beat anyone. Pennetta actually leads the H2H between these two 3-2, but concerns injury wise and quite a rotten end to the season, it seems to me that Zvonareva will beat her. She will have to be at her best to stand a chance in this one and feel she's still trying to get some match practice to get back to some of the form she's shown in the past couple of years. Doubt it will be a complete walkover but the Russian should take it by at least a break in each set. Tamira Paszek vs Jarmila Groth- Groth -3.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Was going to take the handicap for Groth yesterday but opted against it, won't be doing so today. Home nation favourite Groth, generally isn't great on hard court, only ever getting as far as the first round of the Aussie Open but last year there was an improvement in her form and results. Fourth round of both Wimbledon and at Rolland Garros, helped her up the rankings and well back into the top 100. Won a lot of challenger matches at the end of last season on hard court, as she tried to improve her game on the surface. Looks like it may have paid off as she beat Sam Stosur last week and easily beat Johanna Larsson yesterday, not getting broken in the entire match. She plays a qualifier from Austria who actually beat Groth in 3 erratic sets back in 07 where Paszek was impressing as a youngster, reaching the fourth round at 2 of the 4 grand slams. However since then she hasn't carried this encouraging form on. Only qualified for 2 grand slams last year and consistently lost her first round of qualifying for the WTA events. Won her qualifiers in Brisbane though, an beat an Aussie youngster in the first round. Don't think she'll be able to beat a classier Aussie in the shape of Groth, especially as she had 6 break points on her serve to a girl outside the top 200. Should be comfortable for Groth here, the handicap shouldn't be a problem.
LOSS LOSS LOSS Absolute shocker and so frustrating. Li was a break up on numerous occasions in the first set but couldn't hold serve and kill the game off in two sets. Groth at time brilliant, at some a nightmare and erratic. Served for the match at 30-15 to cover the handicap at tried a drop shot that was never on. Annoyed.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Striking on this one very early. - Potito Starace (vs Lukasz Kubot) @ 1.935 with Pinnacle (5/10) Starace is not a man I'd back lightly away from the clay but this is one opponent I reckon he's got the better off in any conditions. Kubot is only in the draw as a lucky loser. He was sent packing in the qualies by Tomic and is generally struggling on the singles circuit away from the clay. Starace is another dirt rat but has the consistency to hold his own against inferior players on other surfaces. He got a very good win over Benneteau, although that was probably down in part to rustiness from the Frenchman. The clincher here is that Starace leads the H2H 3-0, with two wins last year, one a 6-0 6-1. Now, they were both on clay, but that's the best surface for both players. The courts in Sydney are slow, so that's a decent representation of how they match up. Would go bigger if it not being on hard but feel this price is very generous on Starace, who seems to have the Pole's number. :hope

Fair play to that' date=' but he could have clinched one tie-break, that is for sure. Both had their chances in the second and third sets with few breakballs. Ah well. Good job for taking the right bet there :ok[/quote'] Cheers. Cuevas does have a very good breaker record, but perhaps rustiness had an effect too on him. Can't see Haase beating Isner next but you never know, the lad has got balls, that's for sure.

LOSS LOSS LOSS Absolute shocker and so frustrating. Li was a break up on numerous occasions in the first set but couldn't hold serve and kill the game off in two sets. Groth at time brilliant, at some a nightmare and erratic. Served for the match at 30-15 to cover the handicap at tried a drop shot that was never on. Annoyed.
That sounds just like a typical WTA betting day to me. They can be so inconsistent :\

That sounds just like a typical WTA betting day to me. They can be so inconsistent :\
Was waiting for someone to say that lol. Knew what to expect with the women though. Errors, double faults and break points in every game. Not great for the heart that's for sure. Great shout on Haase though, glad to went with your instinct, paid off, that's for sure.

Was waiting for someone to say that lol. Knew what to expect with the women though. Errors' date=' double faults and break points in every game. Not great for the heart that's for sure. Great shout on Haase though, glad to went with your instinct, paid off, that's for sure.[/quote'] I think there is money to made from WTA. I can't do it, my base knowledge isn't good enough, but there are plenty that can. I don't know what the secret is to it though as you have to factor in the inconsistencies - women often go missing for huge periods of times in matches. I suppose it's about knowing your player. You get good days and bad days though, just got to move on and learn from it.

I think there is money to made from WTA. I can't do it' date=' my base knowledge isn't good enough, but there are plenty that can. I don't know what the secret is to it though as you have to factor in the inconsistencies - women often go missing for huge periods of times in matches. I suppose it's about knowing your player. You get good days and bad days though, just got to move on and learn from it.[/quote'] Yeah agree with that but it's so frustrating when it looks like the match is going as you called it before, but say when Groth for example, attempts a drop shot at 30-15, serving for the match, it's completely bizarre. No way am I anywhere near their level, but even playing as an amateur, you know the do's and dont's in a match, just the basics. Get it with some of the guys as well but in the women's game, it's just a natural occurence for some reason.