** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 9-16 January

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January

- Alexandr Dolgopolov -3 games AH (vs Bernard Tomic) @ 1.877 with Pinnacle (7/10) WIN - Gilles Simon (vs Yen-Hsun Lu) x Thomaz Bellucci (vs Michael Russell) @ 2.13 with Pinnacle (4/10) WIN - Potito Starace (vs Lukasz Kubot) @ 1.935 with Pinnacle (5/10) WIN - Philipp Kohlschreiber (vs Marcel Granollers) x John Isner (vs Robin Haase) @ 1.97 with Stan James (4/10) WIN - Andreas Seppi +3 games AH (vs Richard Gasquet) @ 2.16 with Pinnacle (4/10) WIN
Not a bad day for everyone :D

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January This needs to be taken early. 10pts (8/10) V.Troicki to bt. R.Gasquet @ 1.8 at StanJames Great price on a big favorite in my opinion. Gasquet was quite poor so far, losing to Phau in a shocker, having tough matches otherwise. Troicki, on the other hand, is brimming with energy and that alone should be enough to beat the Frenchman, who just seems to be in a slump.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Two early bets ahead of the handicaps... - Viktor Troicki (vs Richard Gasquet) @ 1.80 with Stan James (6/10) Agree with CzechPunter here and happy to take this price on the Serb. He's playing very well at present, especially on serve, and I can't see Gasquet getting much change out of him. I wrote about the Frenchman yesterday so no need to rehash my fears on him. Seppi did as I expected yesterday but didn't have the serve strength to kill him off. Troicki does. He mashed Chela last night and beat Gasquet last year in Basel. This is a tournament Troicki could easily win if he keeps up his current level of tennis. Gasquet may have made the final here last year but unless he raises his game significantly, he'll be going home in this one. - Nicolas Almagro (vs Adrian Mannarino) x David Nalbandian (vs John Isner) @ 2.30 with Stan James (4/10) I watched a bit of Almagro yesterday and liked what I saw. He's improved on a hard court, seems motivated and is playing aggressive tennis. Courts are quite slow in Auckland and I suppose that is helping him. He'll be better for getting a game under his belt and I expect him to kick on. Mannarino didn't surprise me in turning the form round on Clement but this is a much tougher assignment. Almagro serves well and moves better than Clement and will out-hit Mannarino from the back of the court. The Frenchman still gives up too many points on serve and will give Almagro chances. Having come through the qualifiers, Mannarino could be tired too. Not sure of a handicap though, so happy to back him along with Nalbandian, who has an intriguing match-up with Isner. Always a little danger when opposing Isner because of his serve but once in a rally, Nalbandian will punish him. Haase got a number of sighters on Isner but couldn't convert. Isner's got very little at the moment in a rally against a decent player. If his serve comes back, he seems clueless as what to do. Nalbandian's improving with every game. He took care of Petzschner clinically and must be scenting the chance of a title here. I reckon he'll come through, although it may not be straightforward. A few words on the other matches ... I can't call Giraldo vs Bellucci at all, probably one best stayed clear off for me. I think Ferrer will beat Kohlschreiber, who has been a little suspect this week against worser players, so handicap might be of interest. Mayer should beat Starace in these conditions but looks a bit short on the face of it, while Simon vs Dolgopolov looks a tasty match - hard to call again, IMO. Stakhovsky always seems to play well the week before Slams and has slipped under the radar a bit, might be worth persuing on the handicap against Gulbis. We'll see. :hope

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January I will take this one on handicap, agree with Atko and found the line I wanted, not sure if it will hold up though. Isner looked pretty tired against Haase. 10pts (7/10) D.Nalbandian (-2) to bt. J.Isner @ 1.85 at Sportingbet I would not take the -2.5 others are offering, but -2 is pretty much ok with me, as we have the 7-6 7-6 situation covered. The main reason for this bet is not Nalbandian (who has played great so far, btw), but Isner. Against Haase, he was quite struggling. His serve always keeps him in, but other than that, he looks quite poor. Nalbandian should beat him in the end.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Stakhovsky @ 2.94 Pinnacle Massive value on the ukrainian. Gulbis struggled against Andreev last night and proved how unstabile he can be. On the other side we have Stakhovsky who was serving near perfection yesterday against Garcia-Lopez and continued that trend from the match agains Becker where he also served well. Difference between these two players is no where near the odds are suggesting, in fact id say that Stakhovsky should be rated as a favourite here. Two players have met only once and it was 3 years ago at Besancon. Gulbis won that match in 3 sets but no need to take that information seriously as many things changed since then, Stakh will frustrate Latvian with his serve and the way Gulbis plays you can always expect him to have his blackouts. Small stake on 2-0 for Stakhovsky too. GL.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Bartoli vs Vesnina - Bartoli to win in 2-0 1.83 bet365 Since this match has been rained out till tomorrow here's my 2 cents. Bartoli destroyed Safina in the last round didn't expect it to be such a white wash. So she's definitely coming into this match in good form but than again Bartoli can be a hit and miss at times. She should prevail in straights as i believe Vesnina will be nowhere near mentally prepared for the match, not sure if you guys have read but there is a video floating around where allegedly Vesnina is the star of it with her Russian ice hockey boyfriend. With her lawyers currently trying to get it pulled off the web i will be very surprised if Vesnina actually does well in this match let alone pull off a win.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January yung-jan chan to beat stefanie foretz at 5-6 williamhills there are a lot of bets to have on the australian open qualifiers i reckon tonight and particularly the womens draw looks quite tasty. this is my first tip. i basically cannot believe the prices available here as there is a huge class difference.yung-jan chan has had her injury problems over her short career but she is a young player with a lot of talent and a fine ballstriker although perhaps a tad one-dimensional. she comes into this grand slam on the back of a good grand-slam showing in flushing meadows where she beat keothavong and paszek before wozniacki thought her a lesson. she is mentally pretty strong and knows how to win tight matches and if you look over the past few years in the grandslams it's usually been a quality player thats had to beat her as she doesn't seem to have a plan b to her game. this year kanepi beat her in australia, an in form groth at the french, petrova at wimbledon and wozniacki at the US. Make no mistake she is no world beater but a solid main draw grand slam performer and the simple fact of the matter is her veteran opponent is a very very poor opponant indeed. foretz hasn't been able to qualify for the australian open in 3 years and hasn't won a main draw match since 2005. She had a very poor year last year and despite doing well at an itf event in quanzhou last week by reaching the final, she didn't play any player of consequence and lost to ling-ji in the final. I feel the bookies seeing as they had all the foretz matches in-running last week and witnessed her winning streak might be over-rating her here.chan is a class ahead and my only worry is that i couldn't find any recorded matches that she played since october so there is no guaranteed proof of form to go by and she might even be carrying an injury but one would have to expect that if a player is going to make the effort to come to australia just for the qualifiers, she must be in some way fit and motivated. I just feel the price is just so wrong that I can't resist it. if she is fit , she will win.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January WTA - Hobart Sara Errani v Alicia Molik Molik 2.62 Molik returned to WTA tour 3 years ago now and is not near her retirement unless more injuries trouble her. She is an australian and has won a few titles including Hobart once and she impressed when beating Arvidsson. I would say she has a good chance of taking out Errani to.

I will take this one on handicap, agree with Atko and found the line I wanted, not sure if it will hold up though. Isner looked pretty tired against Haase. 10pts (7/10) D.Nalbandian (-2) to bt. J.Isner @ 1.85 at Sportingbet I would not take the -2.5 others are offering, but -2 is pretty much ok with me, as we have the 7-6 7-6 situation covered. The main reason for this bet is not Nalbandian (who has played great so far, btw), but Isner. Against Haase, he was quite struggling. His serve always keeps him in, but other than that, he looks quite poor. Nalbandian should beat him in the end.
Did you watch the Isner game? His service games were actually quite bad, especially the 2nd set.

Did you watch the Isner game? His service games were actually quite bad' date=' especially the 2nd set.[/quote'] That is what I am referring too - he was not on his game against Haase. He was horrible in rallies, but he still made some cheap points on serve (Haase is not that great on return) and that kept him in the game.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Nalbandian 2-0 @ 2.40 Sportingbet Isner played quite poor yesterday against Haase and even his service stats shows that he had some problems holding it. That's not good for him when facing Bandy today cause Argentinian plays really well and looks serious for now. Nalbandian used to be a decent returner and Isner will have to improve his serve big time in order to stand a chance tonight cause in long rallies Nalbandian will own him. This is in fact a safer bet than -3 games handicap on Nalbandian cause Isner might take this to at least one TB. My gut feeling is telling me that Nalbandian will win this easier than expected. GL. Dolgopolov @ 2.38 VCbet I like this one a lot. Dolgo played two matches yesterday cause his match against Tomic was suspended. Anyways, after he lost the first set against young Aussie he trashed his opponent in other two by allowing only two games. Few hours after that he defeated Querrey in two, and although american is not in form that is a confirmation of Dolgopolov's good form of late. Simon also cruised in first two rounds beating Lu and Gil in straight sets but this will be his first serious test after getting hammered by Giraldo one week ago in Brisbane. Atm Dolgo looks great, his shots are very accurate, also he moves well around the court, finds angles... With a bit better serve he might go far this year(as i predicted). Simon is not the type of player who can be thrusted in such matches and i think we have the edge here as this one seems like a coin toss. Hope Dolgo repeats yesterdays performance and he'll make Simon run for his money at least. GL.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Ferrer x Mayer double @ 1.99 William Hill I just have to take this double as i dont think any of these two will lose a set against their opponents. Kohli struggled yesterday against Granollers and he will struggle against most of the top players for now with solid defense. Ferrer is one of the biggest fighters in ATP and i see him dominating in long rallies against incosistent German. On the other hand Mayer should cruise past Starace. Italian doesnt have anything needed for the hardcourts while Florian just defeated Del Potro and although Argentinian is searching for his form that win can give him a boost of confidence. Overall, Mayer is much better player of two and should prevail. GL.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January 1) Sydney. Juan Martin Del Potro -2 AH vs Florian Mayer. 1.90 @ Pinnacle (7/10) LOSS 2) Auckland. Arnaud Clement to beat Adrian Mannarino. 2.17 @ Pinnacle (6/10) LOSS 3) Auckland. Tommy Robredo vs Thomaz Bellucci. 1.94 @ Pinnacle (5/10) LOSS 4) Sydney. Igor Andreev to beat Ernests Gulbis. 2.75 @ Pinnacle (5/10) LOSS Horrible day. Couldn't ask for less :lol

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Clijsters - Player to Win Medibank International Sydney The other players are na li , kleybanova , jovanovski. If the other players were challenging for Clijsters , we can say that clijsters doesn't want to lose her energy before australian open , she may have lose a match in this tournament. However , this tournament turn easy for Clijsters. She beat wozniacki in thailand in exhibition match. Yesterday she beat azarenka. The only problem for Clijsters is her serves. She is making too many double faults. Although her double faults , she can beat this players. Clijsters to win the tournament @1.44 ( pinnaclesports ) Strength : 10/10

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Taking a futher 3 tonight and following others on Troicki, whilst still have Bartoli with a handicap which is still to run. Florian Mayer vs Potito Starace- Mayer -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (6/10) Took this a little earlier at this price which has got a little shorter since. The way Mayer is playing and serving at the minute, should see him take care of the Italian today. Mayer impressively beat Del Porto without having to save any break points on serve and winning almost 60% of the total points. Starace on the other hand has had a pretty favourable draw. Faced Benneteau inwhat was his first match of the season and then beat Kubot who isn't the best singles player about. He needed the 3 sets in both though so he may also have some fatigue creeping into his game. Starace is very much a decent clay courter and fancy the German to go through here. Providing it's a comfortable victory for Mayer which it should be, the handicap is a low one which should be covered. Jesse Huta Galung vs Peter Polansky- Polansky to win- Evens Bet365- (4/10) Not sure I quite understand why Polansky is a slight underdog here. Polansky's form can be a bit indifferent but he achieved some good results last year on the hard court beating the likes of Melzer and Monaco at the US open. Lost to Mannarino last week 6-4 6-4 but as he has proved this week, he's in a bit of form at the minute. Polansky easily won his first qualifier, only losing 2 games in total so he should be fresh for the match. Galung is a guy I don't really understand. Only played one tournament on the hard court last season, mostly playing on the clay yet he didn't enter the French Open, but instead he tried for Wimbledon where he lost in the first round. Galung in fairness has started this season in decent fashion but had to concede a walkover in the semis. May have been just an attempt to get some rest before the qualifiers but this still could be a worry for him. Due to his results on the hard last season, and the experience of the US open, think this may be crucial for the Canadian and give him a slight edge to get through this one. Stephanie Cohen Aloro vs Jamie Hampton- Hampton to win- 5/6 Bet365- (4/10) Again I feel Hampton is too high in this one. She is a good youngster who is said to have a bright future in the game. Last year she had a lot of practice on the hard courts, playing many challenger events, winning 3 of them and in total winning 32 whilst only losing 8 matches, showing she is more than capable of stepping up to the next level. Had a poor result in Auckland losing to Brit Heather Watson but that left her with more prep to get ready for the qualifiers. Her opponent last year didn't even have to go through the qualifiers for the Aussie Open last year but since falling in the first round then, she only played a total of 3 matches on the outside hard courts, losing 2 of those. For most of last season she played very mediocre players and even then had mixed success. Just not convinced about her and think that Hampton has a really good shot here. Aloro doesn't deserve to be on a par with Hampton and Hampton will be completely up for this to try and make a big break this season, starting here.