** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 9-16 January

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January

Horrible for me yesterday, glad to see others doing well though. Gone for 5 today, 2 of which are WTA (God help me) Juan Ignacio Chela vs Viktor Troicki- Troicki -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (6/10) Really good win for Chela yesterday against Stepanek but doubt he can repeat this result over a Serb who is very much in form. Chela very much a clay courter who doesn't play alot on the hard courts, but when he does he isn't the kind of guy who will set the court alight for long periods. Troicki ended last season well, picking up victories over good players like Baghdatis, Tsonga and Llodra. Made it to the quarters last week in Doha before falling to Federer which given the way Roger's playing at the minute was always likely to happen. Will be his first match since then as he got a bye into the second round. Chela played a 3 setter and also played doubles so the Serb will be the fresher of the two. Guessing Chela is just getting some match practice before the US open before heading off to play on the clay. If Troicki plays how he did last week, I'd fancy him to beat Chela. Marion Bartoli vs Elena Vesnina- Bartoli -4.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Must be crazy for still taking some of the women on but Bartoli impressed me in her thrashing of Safina in the first round. Only dropped one game in the match and it wasn't even due to Safina playing badly or conceding double fault after double fault. Bartoli played some really good tennis when involved in the rallies. Even with the rain breaks, she was still flowing and playing tidy tennis throughout. Granted her serve wasn't as good as it could be, but her groundstrokes were extremely impressive. Vesnina also won easily in the previous round, but this will be a big step up for her. Although she only dropped 3 games, she was still broken twice and like her partner in crime Zvonareva, double faults can seep into her game and become very frequent. 2-2 is the H2H with Bartoli winning the last two, very comfortably on the hard court. Albert Montanes vs Santiago Giraldo- Giraldo -1.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Favouring the Colombian here for a few reasons. Firstly Montanes hasn't played at all this season thus far and to be honest he didn't end the season to well. His results on the hard surface weren't anything special either, can't really remember him beating anyone of great note. A bit like Chela really. spends alot of time on the clay and can't see Montanes really troubling Giraldo due to his lack of match practice and the surface. Giraldo has had a good week or so, beating Simon and Becker, and giving Anderson a good match. He had no trouble in beating Gimeno-Traver so he should be playing with some confidence and should do a job on Montanes later on. Adrian Mannarino vs Arnaud Clement- Clement +1.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Few people already spoke about this one and agree with what they've said. Mannarino very much a challenger player who got through against Monaco who beat himself in truth. Was going to take the veteran outright but decided to have a little caution just in case he loses a tight 3 setter which he sometimes can do. Had a shocker end to the season but he should in truth be a class above te young Frenchman. Bojana Jovanovski vs Flavia Pennetta- Penetta -4.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (5/10) And if I was crazy to take one women's match, must be an absoulte idiot for taking a second lol. However, Pennetta did get past Zvonareva in straights and Jovanovski edged past Rezai who shall we say is an indifferent player at the best of times. Although Zvonareva had a ton of double faults, it's still no easy job to beat her at the minute. Pennetta is still trying to regain her full fitness after injury at the back end of last year and that win should give her a big confidence boost. Jovanovski is in a good patch of form in truth but Pennetta will be another step up for her and I can't see how the Italian won't take this one with general ease.
WIN WIN WIN LOSS LOSS Decent profit but not wonderful.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Troicki was a massive gift at 1.80. The price got battered down to the low 1.60s, really surprised Stans opened on that. Happened earlier in the week with Starace over Kubot too. Nice to make some early headway with the bookies, because they'll have their day soon, I'm sure.

Troicki was a massive gift at 1.80. The price got battered down to the low 1.60s' date=' really surprised Stans opened on that. Happened earlier in the week with Starace over Kubot too. Nice to make some early headway with the bookies, because they'll have their day soon, I'm sure.[/quote'] Pinnacle and other firms did not open much lower, the avg. price was about 1.75 at the start.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January As I don't have an account with Pinnacle, had to follow and match your price with the -1.5 handicap at Bet365 but that was covered. Semis look hard to pick for me. In other news, the standard of tennis between Starace and Mayer is horrible. Just hope the German can come through with the handicap but it's really poor to watch in al fairness.

You watching it' date=' Mayer attempted one of the worst lobs ever seen only for Starace to hit the smash high, loopy and wide. He then followed this by perhaps missing another volley at the net. :lol[/quote'] Yep, got it on. His backhand volleys have been abysmal all day. Good call on the line :ok

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Cheers comfortable in the end although watching Starace's coaches' face towards the end made up for the poor tennis. Interested to see the line on the Troicki handicap when it comes out, against any decent hard courter Mayer would have been punished in that first set.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Let me bite the bullet then. 10pts (8/10) V.Troicki (-2.5) to bt. F.Mayer @ 2.00 at Pinnacle A lot has been said about Troicki already, so let's just add that Mayer played poorly in his last match and if these two keep their standards, Troicki will win every easily. The handicap has a good price and can come in even in three sets, so it is an easy choice

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Two for me tomorrow. - Viktor Troicki -2.5AH (vs Florian Mayer) @ 2.00 with Pinnacle (5/10) Even though Mayer beat Troicki a year ago in the Australian Open, I feel the Serb is more than capable of reversing the form. He is playing the best tennis of his career at present, serving well, moving well and hitting his forehand with particular zest. He is yet to drop a set in this tournament and I don't think Mayer is capable of taking him out on this form. Mayer has posted some good results too but I think he'll struggle to deal with the Serb's power. He didn't play well against Starace today - the Italian gifted him the win - and is too scratchy off the deck and on serve. He also doesn't move especially well. Troicki is flying at present, and I'm not sure Mayer can stop him here. Handicap seems very achievable. - David Ferrer -3.5 games (vs Santiago Giraldo) @ 2.02 with Pinnacle (4/10) I think Giraldo's run is going to come to an end here. The Colombian is obviously an improving player on the Tour but I think Ferrer is one step too far for him. Giraldo hasn't beaten anyone of real note here - Gimeno Traver is a poor hard player, not-match-fit Montanes took him all the way and Bellucci has been wobbly all week. Ferrer has had a harder route for me. Kamke and Kohlschreiber caused him issues but he rallied well to win. He's coming to the boil nicely. We all know how Ferrer plays - he's solid as a rock off the deck and moves his opponents around. Giraldo will need to hit the lines pretty hard to put Ferrer away. I can see the Spaniard forcing Giraldo into too many errors. This match could be a step too far for the Colombian, and I think Ferrer can cover the line with modest stakes. :hope

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January Clijsters (to beat Li) x Ferrer (to bt Giraldo) Double @ 1.903 (Pinnacle:5pts) Took this price about an hour ago, may have changed marginally since. Cant see any other result in the womens final....Clijsters had a really tough one against Kleybanova but I've seen power players cause her problems before(Petrova last year) so not surprised. Her serve is still a bit of a weakness but most of her game is coming along well. She's had little trouble with Li in the past....4-1 h2h and the only loss came just before Kim took her break from tennis. Li can match most players on her day but she's an error machine and Clijsters will get chances on her serve too. One winner for me. Also think Ferrer will send Giraldo packing here. Not that impressed with Ferrer against Kohli but he eventually grinds it out as always against these players....expect same vs Giraldo who is good to watch at times but I'm doubtful he'll overcome Ferrer's consistency. Both dodgy on serve too so expect a few breaks but Ferrer for the win hopefully. Troicki -2.5 games over Mayer @ 2.00 (Pinnacle:2pts) Going with a lower stake on this one, but having seen Troicki I think he's playing well enough to cover this. Only concern is I remember Mayer beating him last year in the AO when Troicki was a big fave.....but I think the 3 set format will help Troicki here and he's playing well....aggressive, hitting well off both wings. Mayer will be trickier than Gasquet IMO because he'll mix it up and bring Troicki forward where he's not as comfortable but he's also liable to throw in some loose games.Starace had chances in both sets but in the end wasn't good enough to capitalise, I think Troicki is.

Haha, everyone on Troicki train!........:lol Have to say I'm a little concerned about the bet though....had a dodgy feeling when I placed it. Price looks fine to me though.
If Troicki keeps up his recent level of form, he will win and cover the line. He's playing well above Mayer at the moment. My only slight fear is if his form dips, hence the 5/10 stake, but he's riding the crest of a wave after the Davis Cup win. Mayer is like Gasquet - can hit some wonderful shots but often goes missing. More of the same would be good tonight ;)

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January tips for australia. 1.lisicki-martic double 3 points skybet at 3-4 lisicki is back in form as she showed in aukland pushing wickmayer close...she has a very big game and is very much a confidence player and seems really motivated. she plays michaela krajicek who i have always had a soft spot for.... i like the girl...but she has really lost her way in recent years and is a little bit slow. even if she plays near her potential i still expect lisicki to have too much power for her. martic plays chronic under-achiever madison brengle...who just hasn't stepped up to the plate since juniors....martic had a mixed season last year but she still has plenty of ability is a good mover and should have too much class for the slow brengle who tends to break down in long ralleys.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January keothavong, mirza and rus treble at 10-11 paddypower 3 points this will be a big bet i think. keothavong plays kustova and there is a class difference here i think....kustova is very average and doesn't know how to win tight matches...anne is back fit and motivated and will be aiming to qualify for the main draw...can't see her slipping up here. mirza plays kuryanovich who is a fairly poor itf circuit player. Mirza twittered two weeks ago that hse is in the physical shape of her life and she should win this one easily...she'll be really motivated to get to the main draw of a slam where she belongs...especially in australia where she recieves huge support. rus is a player that i regularly bet against last year...as she struggled for most of the year...but she has posted some more impressive efforts already in 2011 and she is still so young so has plenty of room for improvement. she beat lucic in sydney qualifiers and lost a tight 3 set to jovanovski in the next round 7-5 in the third set and jovanovski went on to have a fantasic week. So that bodes well...although I'm still not totally convinced but I expect her to have too much for julia cohen who is a pretty poor itf challenger level player ...not really up to this standard.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January krystina pliskova to beat erika sema at 5-6 paddypower 1 point. krystina is the better of the two pliskova sisters it seems. she is still young but showing some improvement..she had a good run to the third round of the australian open qualifiers a few months ago beating albanese and fellow youngster Rus before finding wily veteran dominguez lino too good in 3 sets...but that's no disgrace. obviously she is no worldbeater yet.... but i've been looking at erika semas results for the past year and they have been very poor even at challenger level...she's not to be confused with yurika sema who knocked krumm out of the Us open qualies two years ago....she seems to be operating at a much lower level.... for this bet my analysis is purely based on results on paper and therefore i wouldn't advise a big bet but it seems to make sense to back pliskova in what powers claim to be a 50-50 match up.

Re: Tennis - 9-16 January I will risk this one in the WTA, lower confidence though. 10pts (5/10) K.Zakopalova/J.Groth Under 21 games @ 1.90 at Pinnacle This will probably be a straightforward win for Groth. First of all, she is younger, more talented and in better form at the moment. Klara had to play two matches yesterday, while Groth had only one short match. Off-court influences may also be interesting in this one. The two players sometimes play doubles together and since Groth is playing at home, Zakopalova might not want to win that much - Groth will be full of motivation, on the other hand. But even if we take this factor out of the equation, I think that Groth should prevail easily.