The Jockey Thread

Re: The Jockey Thread

On reflection ye are correct' date=' it was my pocket talking! Horse didn't respond.[/quote'] We have all been there Aidy, but its money in the bank you will withdraw another day. Possibly Fri the 1st of June at Epsom.

Ed Dunlop said after the race that the horse is being targeted at the Melbourne Cup again and that the trainer prefers to have a local jockey on board that knows the track. That's fair enough I suppose as the Melbourne track is quite tricky from what I remember? I backed Lucas Cranach last year that finished placed but I am sure in the build up they kept mentioning the track.
That was diplomacy comming from Ed Dunlop's mouth. Had it been the Ascot Gold Cup theres no doubt a top jockey would have been onboard.

Re: The Jockey Thread Graham lee 17.10 Redcar Rosie's lady -what a shocking ride and still just lost! not the pocket talking as I had a small saver on the forecast-but makes me realise that in large fields on tight courses maybe a jock to be wary off for a while-after all in relative terms he's really an apprentice on the flat-without the claim!

Graham lee 17.10 Redcar Rosie's lady -what a shocking ride and still just lost! not the pocket talking as I had a small saver on the forecast-but makes me realise that in large fields on tight courses maybe a jock to be wary off for a while-after all in relative terms he's really an apprentice on the flat-without the claim!
Might be worth sticking with next time out.

Graham lee 17.10 Redcar Rosie's lady -what a shocking ride and still just lost! not the pocket talking as I had a small saver on the forecast-but makes me realise that in large fields on tight courses maybe a jock to be wary off for a while-after all in relative terms he's really an apprentice on the flat-without the claim!
I think we are very quick to give out about a jockey when he has a poor ride, and never give enough credit when he has a good one! Take a look at the ride Graham Lee gave Forget Me Not Lane today at Redcar, look at the ride he gave Jack Dexter on May 10th, had great rides on Staff Sergeant and Northern Fling of late, credit where it is due, he has been riding really well since he converted to the flat in my opinion.

Might be worth sticking with next time out.
maybe although some of the races are so awful at the moment I really wonder if there is anything worthwhile to be gleaned from the form in some ways. still as you say maybe one for the notebook!

I think we are very quick to give out about a jockey when he has a poor ride, and never give enough credit when he has a good one! Take a look at the ride Graham Lee gave Forget Me Not Lane today at Redcar, look at the ride he gave Jack Dexter on May 10th, had great rides on Staff Sergeant and Northern Fling of late, credit where it is due, he has been riding really well since he converted to the flat in my opinion.
Fair point:clap It was the only race I actually managed to watch yesterday and as you say he has had some pretty good rides as well.

Really don't see why this ride can be described as 'shocking'. Low draw, midfield on rail, splits didn't come at right time, pretty standard big field hard luck story.

Re: The Jockey Thread As I posted in another thread that second costed me "some" money and surely wasn't the best ever ride by Graham Lee (unlucky yes but he could have managed it better for sure) but I still rate him as a very good jockey and as I wrote few weeks ago he's been the biggest positive surprise of this flat season for me so far.

Re: The Jockey Thread William Buick on Gatewood = :clap. It often pays to race prominently around Epsom as you need a good position as you go into the straight. Buick settled the horse at the back of the field, got a run down the outside and never lost momentum and seemed to do it a bit cheekily in the end, what a great young jockey.

Re: The Jockey Thread Agree mogli. Massive ride. It wasn't the easiest of rides but he gave the horse the best possible chance of winning the race. That's why I like Buick so much. One of my favourites. He's young but already top class and is improving and improving.

William Buick on Gatewood = :clap. It often pays to race prominently around Epsom as you need a good position as you go into the straight. Buick settled the horse at the back of the field' date=' got a run down the outside and never lost momentum and seemed to do it a bit cheekily in the end, what a great young jockey.[/quote'] It was an absolutely terrible ride in my view, the horse got him out of trouble big style and he was obviously 15lbs or so better than his mark to win from that position. It would have been a travesty if he'd have been beaten with so much obviously in hand.

It was an absolutely terrible ride in my view' date=' the horse got him out of trouble big style and he was obviously 15lbs or so better than his mark to win from that position. It would have been a travesty if he'd have been beaten with so much obviously in hand.[/quote'] I thought he rode it with supreme confidence and knew exactly what he had under him. Compare that to Joseph O'Brien on Maybe, gave the horse way too much to do and as they turned in he was giving away 6-8 lengths and also the momentum of first run to his rivals. He might get away with that on Camelot in a smaller field but I think I'd prefer Bonfire and Astrology against it.

George Baker was given the plaudits yesterday for his ride on Lightening Strike... SHOCKING ride!!! Just because he got it up cheekily on the line, it doesn't make it a great ride!! Should have won 4l and nearly got beat!! Similarly, James Sullivan on Head Space today met loads of trouble he couldn't avoid, was bumped and bruised and still got His mount up in a rousing finish. Amazing ride - and I was watching it closely because I'd laid it!!! Not watched Gatewood replay as yet... Don't have an opinion either way as yet but it does annoy me when riders get sunshine blown up their arse when they very nearly **** it up!!

Re: The Jockey Thread I saw nothing great about Buick's ride on Gatewood. I personally thought the horse was just too good for the rest, and stayed on well at the finish, i think Buick got the horse into a bad position early on, and made a bit of a balls of the ride, hence the 2 day ban he got for careless riding.

Maybe didn't stay, not the jockeys fault. By the way Barzalona is an animal and will get into big trouble one day!
Agree about Maybe. She was travelling better than anything 2.5 furlongs out and wasn't that far behind the leaders. She had plenty of time to get to them but just didn't stay as well as some. When a horse has stamina doubts, aren't they normally held up to try and get the trip?

Re: The Jockey Thread Interesting to see how much opinions can be different in terms of judging a ride. That's what makes the sport so interesting as everyone has it's own opinion and nothing is entirely right or wrong. Still think it was a great ride by Buick, though, and can't see where he got the horse into a bad position early on. He only had two options after the start: push forward or settle in rear of the field. He opted for the second one. Nothing wrong with that. Far from it, actually. The horse didn't burn too much energy, was relaxed and settled and didn't race three of four wide. How many jockeys get these kind of decisions wrong? Definitely too many. That there was no room to go 3f out wasn't Buick's fault, it was just how the race developed. He didn't panic but waited for the gap to deliver the challenge when the chance occurred. Sure, the horse had obviously a couple of pounds in hand but without the decisions of Buick - in my mind the right decisions and the decisions of a top class man - the horse would have find it much harder to achieve the best possible result.

Interesting to see how much opinions can be different in terms of judging a ride. That's what makes the sport so interesting as everyone has it's own opinion and nothing is entirely right or wrong. Still think it was a great ride by Buick, though, and can't see where he got the horse into a bad position early on. He only had two options after the start: push forward or settle in rear of the field. He opted for the second one. Nothing wrong with that. Far from it, actually. The horse didn't burn too much energy, was relaxed and settled and didn't race three of four wide. How many jockeys get these kind of decisions wrong? Definitely too many. That there was no room to go 3f out wasn't Buick's fault, it was just how the race developed. He didn't panic but waited for the gap to deliver the challenge when the chance occurred. Sure, the horse had obviously a couple of pounds in hand but without the decisions of Buick - in my mind the right decisions and the decisions of a top class man - the horse would have find it much harder to achieve the best possible result.
I liked the composure he showed and at no time did he panic or feel he needed to angle out early for a run. I'm not a big fan of hold up rides at Epsom and prefer my horse to be nearer the front but he got the job done from what could have been a terrible position. Compare that to the hold up ride given on Lady Arabella at Ponty by Leonna Mayor or whatever she's called. At one point the camera was on the main field of horses and she had this thing 6 lengths off the back of the pack. Didn't have the greatest of starts from the stalls but never tried to make up lost ground and then ran on one paced with no chance and never put in the race. Was just watching the racing on RUK with no financial interest but always interested to see how people ride Ponty and this was awful.

Re: The Jockey Thread Talking through my pocket? Maybe, but that was a shocking ride by Joseph O'Brien. Imperial Monarch was apparently the best horse in the field, he was absolutely flying in the end but had no chance from the position he was manoeuvred in by his Jockey. I really like Joseph O'Brien, he's a great young jockey, but that was awful.

Talking through my pocket? Maybe' date=' but that was a shocking ride by Joseph O'Brien. Imperial Monarch was apparently the best horse in the field, he was absolutely flying in the end but had no chance from the position he was manoeuvred in by his Jockey. I really like Joseph O'Brien, he's a great young jockey, but that was awful.[/quote'] I was never backing O'Brien there. I remember seeing French racing last season and the draw and knowledge of those tracks is really important. O'Brien was about 2nd last turning in and had been shuffled back in a mess of a race, he looked like he was going to go for a rails run and then changed his mind, switched, switched again to the outside and was flashing home. It would certainly have been a hell of a lot closer if it had started its run from midfield but lots of jockeys had a nightmare there. Ektihaam had a decent spot on the rail and ballsed it up too under Hanagan. Messy awful race to watch.

I was never backing O'Brien there. I remember seeing French racing last season and the draw and knowledge of those tracks is really important. O'Brien was about 2nd last turning in and had been shuffled back in a mess of a race' date=' he looked like he was going to go for a rails run and then changed his mind, switched, switched again to the outside and was flashing home. It would certainly have been a hell of a lot closer if it had started its run from midfield but lots of jockeys had a nightmare there. Ektihaam had a decent spot on the rail and ballsed it up too under Hanagan. Messy awful race to watch.[/quote'] I backed Ekithaam and thought he had the perfect sit on the inside but it seemed as though Hanagan didn't have the confidence to hold his position and he let his horse get shuffled back on the inside. From then on in he had no chance whatsoever. There must have been so many hard luck stories there. I was only keeping an eye on Ekithaam but that was one of the messiest races I have seen for a long time.

Re: The Jockey Thread Pretty much every horse had a hard luck story there. Can't be blaming Joseph for a bad ride. The race is the same nearly every year but it was a real farce this time. I personally thought the trip was a tad on the sharp side anyway for him, was a very eye catching run all the same at the finish

Re: The Jockey Thread Well, I've been a bit emotional minutes after the race and sure, it was a very messy race. But still think it was simply the wrong decision by Joseph to try to get a run on the rails, with a bulk of 15 horses in front of him. Where did he want to go? Jump over the rails and overtake the whole field? Did he see imaginary space where no space was? Turning into the home straight he had the horse in an almost impossible position anyway, only if he'd switched him immediately to the outside to get a clear run would have helped.

Re: The Jockey Thread William Buick goes in again, this time on Aiken. Rode them to sleep from the front, had them off the bridle and Dunaden had way too much to do and was giving weight away. Aiken found plenty more when asked for an effort. Absolutely loving Buick at the moment, great ride there from the front.