British Snooker Open

Re: British Snooker Open

Hey Paul, 3 of the outrights in the last 16! Carter, Murphy and Hawkins. Looking at the draw im getting quite excited about Murphy and Hawkins chances! (less so about Carter cos he'll face Hendry most likely). Hawkins is gonna get Davis or Bingham, considering hes just beat Ebdon that looks good. Murphy will play Dott or Holt and considering hes beaten Mculloch and Hunter so far that looks great. If they both win theyll play one another in the Quarters guaranteeing one in semis! :nana
Long way to go yet, but can't say I'm displeased. :)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doherty v Hicks (14:00 GMT)1.622.52sp.gif102%
sp.gifHamilton v Williams (14:00 GMT)3.401.44sp.gif99%
sp.gifJunhui v Maguire (14:00 GMT)2.281.76sp.gif101%
sp.gifLee v O'Sullivan (14:00 GMT)4.601.28sp.gif100%
sp.gifBingham v Hawkins (19:00 GMT)2.041.95sp.gif101%
sp.gifCarter v Hendry (19:00 GMT)2.621.58sp.gif102%
sp.gifHiggins v Pinches (19:00 GMT)1.443.10sp.gif102%
sp.gifHolt v Murphy (19:00 GMT)2.301.74sp.gif101%
Doherty v Hicks Thisis a toss up for me, certainly Hicks is the value bet at 2.52. Hamilton v Williams Tricky one this. Williams has been struggling, but did ok yesterday. Hamilton hasn't been setting the world alight either, but is in the top 6 all time century break makers, so clearly no muppet. These two met in the China Open Final about 3-4 years ago, Williams came back from 8-5 to win 9-8, that could be a big scar for Hamilton. Ding Dong v Maguire Ding Dong is a good player, but is way overhyped. That is proven by the fact he has never even been to a quarter final of a ranking event, yet you can get no more than 100/1 on any outright bet for a tourny! Maguire is quality and gets better all the time, really starting to believe in himself now. It's a tough call and will probably go the distance. Lee v O'Sullivan Ronnie hasn't played well this tourny so far, but hasn't needed to as yet. As I've said before, I don't believe all this new Ronnie syndrome, as I've seen too much of Ronnie being a headcase, on and off tv. Lee is more than capable of taking him out and has done at similar prices previously. Bingham v Hawkins Both these players know each other extremely well. Bingham has disappointed me of late, but had a decent draw here with only Greene & Davis to beat, although he has tripped up in easier matches this season. Hawkins is pure class, scoring very heavy and his all round game is of a similar standard to the old John Higgins. He's growing in confidence all the time, and his days of being 500/1 and bigger are numbered, let's hope he beats Bingham and gets to the final this time while he is so big. Should be close, but Hawkins looks to be in better form and much more consistent at present. Carter v Hendry I wouldn't jump all over Hendry too quickly, I'm not sure he has ever beaten Carter (please correct me if I'm wrong). From memory, Carter has at least 2 wins over Hendry and possibly 3. He's all out attack is Carter and when he's potting, he's awesome. His safety game is getting better too. Carter is the value here, that cannot be questioned. Higgins v Pinches Higgy is a pain in the butt to work out quite frankly. One frame he can't pot a ball, the next he hits a 147! Very inconsistent over the past few years, so not a betting proposition at all. Pinches took out Gray yesterday, which was a decent result, although Gray continues to disappoint for such a talented player. I wouldn't bet on this, leave it well alone. Holt v Murphy I've backed Holt before in outrights, as well as Bingham, but both were missing from my outright bets this tourny, because both were a bit out of sorts imo. Holt can be very dangerous, but does seem to hit brick walls, maybe a lack of concentration. On form he is a very good player and scores heavy, as do most of the new generation, which is why you see me back a number of them at big prices. I took a chance on Murphy, even though he has also had indifferent results, basically because I know how good this guy is, confidence is all he needs. I think he is going to be very dangerous from now onwards and not just in this tourny. Murphy to win it for me, was very impressive in taking out the ultra consistent Hunter yesterday. All these players on my shortlist of future outright winners, all play to the same standard as the top 8 players in the world in practice, it's only match experience that separates them, which is why I persevere with them. ;)

Re: British Snooker Open Paul, Just a quick query about your snooker betting. Do you take into account the odds offered by any particular firm when contemplating a bet? Its seems obvious that some compilers will be much better than others. I know that when I bet on football that I respect one or two of the European books and if they have a strong position on the match that I'm interested in then its certainly warrants a closer look. It seems that most of the UK firms are stuck in a time warp when it comes to margins...they dont seem to realise how uncompetitive their odds are compared with the exchanges.

Re: British Snooker Open Paul, Have been following your Snooker tips for sometime, thought Id join in and add my pittance worth. You made an interesting point about the UK and Worlds, Playing best of 19 from the first round really does filter out the class and like you said, you wouldn't be backing a 100/1 outsider in those. Like yourself, I normally pick out some outsiders in the other Ranking events, and like yourself, I seem to warm to particular players who I feel have the ability and mentality to win. Interesting that you mentioned MaGuire when he won the European Open (It was the European Open wasn't it) - I think he has come on leaps and bounds since then, he played well in the Worlds going down 10 - 6 to Ronnie and I remember Ronnie saying he would win it one day...... Anyway, I fancy MaGuire to overcome Junhai (Ding Dong) today. The bookies are slowly realising that MaGuire is becoming an all round excellent player, he went off favourite against McCulloch in his Quarter final clash at Preston and when he lost he said ' I just never expected to lose'. He definately is believing that he is a top 16 player in the making (from memory isn't he ranked just outside?) and I dont think he will be complacent today. These 'fringe' players know like we do that these Ranking events can be exploited and Paul mentioned I think that backing the outsider in every game would probably lead to a profit!!!! Another interest Ive had is Hamilton to beat Williams. Im quite sure that Hamilton has a good recent record against Williams. In the best of five frames id lay Williams against almost anyone on the circuit. He has had other commitments off the table in recent years, is not the player he once was (not that I ever thought he was in the mould of Hendry or Ronnie) - theres just something missing from hes game in my opinion and I dont think he enjoys playing against the mechanical steady game of Hamilton. As for Hamilton, when on top of his game can be leathal amongst the balls - Isnt he one of a handful of players to score more than a hundred centuries in ranking events (I could be wrong there!) Right, back to work for me - 1st post out of the way and hope its a profitable one : 3 point win on MaGuire 2 point win on Hamilton 2 point Double Interesting bet on Hawkins there Paul, hope you took out the maximum stake on him @ 500/1! Regards LSL :beer

Re: British Snooker Open By the way, Hamilton is priced @ 9/4 with Willhill which I think is overpriced, i havent looked elsewhere though. MaGuire is 8/11 with the same firm which I also think is a fair price although by my own admission I haven't seen much of the Junhai. Paul, do you think the occassion might get to him? I remember opposing him in running against Stephen Lee when he was a frame from victory and with luck on my side he couldn't quite get over the line - think it was @ Wembley in a last 32/16 game? LSL

Re: British Snooker Open Great to see new people posting and good posts I might add. :) Yup, Maguire is really starting to kick on, he has the self belief that most players strive for, but that can also lead to complacency and yes it was The European Open. ;) I would make Maguire a slight fav, but not by much today, Ding Dong is an excellent player, although he needs to learn how to smile. :\ Williams isn't the player he was 2 years ago for sure, but still dangerous, not sure of his H2H against Hamilton apart from that final I mentioned.

Isnt he one of a handful of players to score more than a hundred centuries in ranking events (I could be wrong there!)
Nope, you're quite right (top 6 all time), he's a tremendous break builder but amazingly lacks self belief at times, a little weak mentally if you ask me, which is a shame, because if Hamilton was strong mentally, he would have already been a World Champion in my opinion. The bookies don't allow you to bet much at the price I got Hawkins, in fact it's pretty much Max £20! :) Good luck with your bets and keep posting. :ok

Re: British Snooker Open Thanks Paul, I will do my best to post. I normally just scan through this pages for reassurance but its nice to start posting. Just looked @ oddschecker and Hills have shortened Hamilton from 9/4 to 5/4! Was frantically checking my slip but luckily enough I took the 9/4! Williams obviously has the capacity to justify those odds - but sometimes in Snooker I tend to look for a value bet and in my opinion this was a very good price. I would be disappointed to see MaGuire lose today. I was hoping he might be nearer even money because I thought he was a good thing against a very inexperienced, but obviously rising youg star in Junhai. Fingers crossed on Hawkins, I backed him outright for Preston and he lost in a decider if I remember rightly. Max 20 quid, you cant really argue with that, to get silly odds like that in the first place is a result in itself. If I was pricing the event up id make him a 125/1 tops..... Regards LSL

Re: British Snooker Open Back for more again today, cant really add to the analysis already put forward as i'd just be echoing Paul's comments. Virtually every one of these matches could go either way. Maguire I really do like and to me is a future World Champion but im finding it hard to back him at the prices offered just now so it'll be minimum stake doubles and a treble of outsiders for me today. Stephen Lee 4.0 Micheal Holt 2.30 Ally Carter 2.45

Re: British Snooker Open Just the one bet for me today. Unfortunately I can't add to the comments already given because I don't get to watch any snooker since I moved to Norway. Although I do enjoy opposing players like S.Davis, J.Parrott, and A.McManus:). 1pt double: Hawkins B. v Bingham S. @ 1.76 (5-4) :D Higgins J. v Pinches B. @ 1.40 (5-3) :D Odds of 2.46 (Gamebookers) Thanks for all the info guys!:ok

Re: British Snooker Open wow another 1.04 bites the dust,snooker is a goldmine for laying big odds on leaders, i got a lay of Bingham in at 1.11 then back it later for all green,nice one Hawkins :clap anyone at the actual games with a laptop would be hoovering up money this week,also during the actaul games the prices are bouncing up and down like crazy, get a real fast connection and you are sorted:ok

Re: British Snooker Open Yeeeeah well done Hawkins! Looks like the tips were definitely worth it Paul, theyre not there yet but a guaranteed semi finalist! I'll probably put a small bet on backing Higgins or Hendry (depending on who gets through) in the semi match to guarantee some cash, pretty good idea id say. Lets hope Higgins gets through, id fancy he could be beat. Who do you thinks gonna win out of Murphhy and Hawkins Paul? I think Murphy, he seems to be playing really well. (I hope Hawkins though cos thats the real biggun! ;) )

Re: British Snooker Open Nearly there, I'd prefer Hawkins to be honest, he is solid as a rock and cool under pressure, although this will be new territory. The semis will be best of 11 versus Hendry or Higgins, and quite simply, it's whoever has the heart from here, because they are all playing very well in the top half. :)

Hamilton v Maguire (14:00 GMT)2.501.66sp.gif101%
sp.gifHicks v O'Sullivan (14:00 GMT)5.801.20sp.gif101%
sp.gifHawkins v Murphy (19:00 GMT)2.441.66sp.gif101%
sp.gifHendry v Higgins (19:00 GMT)1.722.34sp.gif101%
Does anyone think Andy Hicks can do the business against O'Sullivan?
He can indeed, a ridiculous price of 5.80 on his head. :\ People may remember what a tough ride he gave Ronnie in the World Champs last time, he came back from 2-4 to beat Doherty and is clearly bang in form. Hamilton v Maguire Maguire for me here at the prices, thought he would be 1.50 to be honest, not much in it though. Hawkins v Murphy Not sure what the bookies use to determine prices sometimes, but this is a toss up as most matches will be from here on. 2.44 is out of line, I can't split these but would favour Hawkins to get through just. Hendry v Higgins Both playing very well indeed, so again, Higgins has to be the value @ 2.34 as it is another toss of a coin, arguably Higgins is playing a touch better than Hendry, but not much.

Re: British Snooker Open Rather than lump on the win , I've had some smaller bets on the frames. Hicks win at Stan jAMES 125/1 5-0 -unlikely but you never can tell- and I will retire 66/1 5-1 in the realms of possibility if he gets off to a screamer 40/1 5-2 now we are cooking 20/1 5-3 could easily happen 10/1 5-4 still in profit. saying that O'Sullivan will have prob won by the time I've made me tea. Come on Andy 'champagne' Hicks. The toast of Tavistock

Re: British Snooker Open Hmmm, it's getting tougher to predict games now:\. I think I'll quit while I'm ahead because these matches seem very tight to me. I'd like to place 2 sinlges on Higgins @ 2.13, and Hawkins @ 2.20, but I think I'll give it a miss and wait for the next tournament. Good luck:ok

Re: British Snooker Open My bets today are Andy hick +2.5 frames at Betfair @ 2.00. surely that is too high in a best of 9 game? wow i just posted up a price of 2.14 and i was matched. Ok ronnie beat Parrot 5-2 and thrashed lee 5-0,but surley Hicks has a better than 50% chance of making it to 3 frames. We will see! Took hawkins @ 2.5 at betfair aswell, like that way he came back to win last night from 4-3 down,that has to help the confidence,

Re: British Snooker Open Does anyone know of any site where you could follow the scores real-time(ie.follow score updates within a frame itself)? Seems the best I can have access to is a live update of the scores after a frame is played. Such a site would come in particularly handy for someone who does live frame betting, but has no telly access ... :tongue2

Does anyone know of any site where you could follow the scores real-time(ie.follow score updates within a frame itself)? Seems the best I can have access to is a live update of the scores after a frame is played. Such a site would come in particularly handy for someone who does live frame betting, but has no telly access ... :tongue2
Worldsnooker.com but it costs £3 per tournament, I've paid it, out of principle I shouldn't but £3 is peanuts I suppose. Unofortuntely it's not a link I can give you all like last time, you'll see what I mean when you sign up, if you do. ;)