** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer

These 2 jockeys, more than any others, come in for so much criticism from the racing public. However, is it people talking through their pocket? So, what do you think of these 2? And, if you don't like them, will you oppose them each & every time they have a ride?

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer I have more time for Jamie Spencer than I do for Richard Johnson. Jamie Spencer's way of running leaves him open to looking very silly, if he still has a good deal of horse under him but leaves his run to late he is criticised by all and sundry (and quite rightly so). However, I have backed a few Jamie Spencer winners and I would not totally discount a horse simply if he was the jock. Richard Johnson however is a different story. Up until this season, I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. But recent events have seen some very basic errors from a guy who is supposedly one of the best. The ride he gave Menorah was nothing short of scandalous, and the fact that there are some very decent up and coming jocks who could be getting some of these rides kind of annoys me. I do still back horses he rides, but only if they are from my list of horses to follow - but I really would rather have another jock carrying my money so to speak.

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer I like Jamie Spencer, he has a way of getting a horse settled that not all jockeys are good at but his timing is sometimes fractionally out, maybe a second or so so he is flying at the death but the line comes too soon. Often ends up looking like a poor mans Kieren Fallon but the kid has talent and is often a scapegoat for those talking through their pocket. Anyone at the PL Wolverhampton meeting will probably remember the ride he gave to The History Boy (i think that's what it was called), sat it anchored at the back, kicked for home and absolutely hacked up, he had about 3 or 4 winners that day and was different class. I don't have much time for Dickie Johnson, wouldn't oppose a horse just because he was on it but seeing his name next to a mount can often seem like an extra handicap. I really fancy Planet Of Sound at Cheltenham but I think he's on it. :wall

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer Hate threads about Jockeys full stop. Hardly any of us have the faintest idea what its like to race ride and how easy it is to make the slightest error of judgement that will cost someone something and get blown up out of all proportion. Too many punters look for a bad ride to convincve themselves they picked the right horse to bet in the first place. Sure bad rides happen but not as much as some make out.

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer you are right graham, but punters will always blame the pilot, thats the way it goes both jockeys are in the top 5 in their profession so they must be doing something right not a johnson lover, and rarely back Spencer so that probably sums up how i feel russ - its cheltenham by the way ! ;) starts Tuesday!

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer You do not have to have ridden to know about race riding. By the same token you're saying Jose Mourhino doesn't know anything about football. That said, as BH says most of the time punters get the criticism wrong - however that doesn't mean they all do. Most of the really braindead rides (pace issues, positioning on polytrack) go unnoticed by punters. Plenty of punters know their racing and can race-read well. Sometimes they know more than jockeys, that is why trainers and owners give instructions to jockeys. I may not be able to do it myself, but there are times when I know how they (jocks) should use their skills on a certain horse. :ok

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer I have to say that I don't particularly mind either of them, have had no complaints about Johnson (maybe because I don't back many horses that he rides) but Spencer has definately left it too late on a few that I've backed but it wouldn't put me off backing a horse if he is on board, especially if they like to be held up as when he does get it right, hes a great jockey! Richard Johnson has been flying in the winners at the moment and was a good 2nd on Oh Crick in the big race on Saturday. EDIT Forgot to mention I thought RJ rode a terrific race on Fairoak Lad the other day, anybody else see that?

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer Think Spencer was over-rated a few years ago. Probably gone the other way now. Never been a great fan. Trouble I have is he rides most horses as though they have a terrific turn of foot. Also is guilty of not changing tactics, adapting to what's happening around him. It's alright dropping a horse out, but if the pace is slow, he really should try and get closer before the pace quickens. However, there are not many better jockeys in a big handicap. If a horse needs finnessing he's very good. Not bad from the front, just like him to go there more often. Has suffered from one or two of his trainers not firing the last couple of years (Fanshawe). Johnson was also over-rated for a time, his seconds to AP in the championship is a bit flattering. Some jockeys who have shared Irish duties with British (Walsh, Geraghty) are clearly better. Also believe he's better over hurdles than fences. Unlike most jockeys he does NOT have a better strike rate over fences. Did ride an awful race on Menorah, but (I heard) on the previous ride had been stretchered off when falling on Planet Of sound. So should be excused that ride. Jockeyship is only a small part of the equation, it's over-rated. Always remember, it's not the jockey's feet that are on the ground, he does not carry the horse.

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer I'll give a very argumented opinion on this topic. Dickie Johson is USELESS!! And I agree with Billy 100% here. I don't need to be riding horses to know that Geraghty and Ruby are ten times better than him. P.S. I'll never say a bad word for him again if he wins the Corss Country on Monkerhostin though :eyes

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer as much as possible i avoid jamie spencer ever since some dubious results in claimers on hot favs several pounds well in on official figures, that he still got beat. I backed him on sat for tiddliwinks as it was for kevin ryan, the one man he consistently rides well for. Like ginge i question his ability to adapt in race. His comments after the thomas baines debacle show he has an atitude problem and no respect for punters and a prime example of him not doing his job properly is the story of annebelles charm. Couldnt win under spencer until dane o neill took over and won straight away, actually in a tougher race, given a proper ride. Too often he sits at the back of the field even off a modest gallop and often makes the wrong decisions. I know it must be hard to make split second decisions in races but other jockeys prove more adept at them so he is over rated to me. I dont have an opinion on johnson as i dont watch enough nh racing.

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer

Jamie Spencer's way of running leaves him open to looking very silly, if he still has a good deal of horse under him but leaves his run to late he is criticised by all and sundry (and quite rightly so).
He shouldn't have a 'way of running'. Not every horse (or 95%) that he sits on are suited and capable of coming from last to first in the last half furlong. This will be controversial, but anyone been noticing that Ruby Walsh has a touch of 'The Spencers'? I been watching him closely since I went full-time back in the shops and the amount of times he knocks his horse off at the back of the field before coming home too late giving the thing too much to do is becoming startling. Yeah he wins a lot 'cus he's on good horses, but he gets an awful lot of average ones beat thinking they and he are better than they are. It takes a really really big fancy for me to back Spencer, in fact do pretty well opposing him. I don't mind Johnson so much, not a big fan but he wouldn't put me off a horse in the way Spencer would.

I'll give a very argumented opinion on this topic. Dickie Johson is USELESS!! And I agree with Billy 100% here. I don't need to be riding horses to know that Geraghty and Ruby are ten times better than him. P.S. I'll never say a bad word for him again if he wins the Corss Country on Monkerhostin though :eyes
I don't think he would've rode as many winners if RJ was "useless" Mileni. Actually, I believe he isn't a bad bet for Cheltenham top jock (ew) without Walsh. As Phillip Hobbs is in excellant form. I've got 10/1 Get Me Out Of Here ew, but at current prices Minorah is outstanding value ew bet at 12/1 b365, 10/1 with Paddy Power is an even better price, as they will give your money back if Dunguib wins.

as much as possible i avoid jamie spencer ever since some dubious results in claimers on hot favs several pounds well in on official figures, that he still got beat. I backed him on sat for tiddliwinks as it was for kevin ryan, the one man he consistently rides well for. Like ginge i question his ability to adapt in race. His comments after the thomas baines debacle show he has an atitude problem and no respect for punters and a prime example of him not doing his job properly is the story of annebelles charm. Couldnt win under spencer until dane o neill took over and won straight away, actually in a tougher race, given a proper ride. Too often he sits at the back of the field even off a modest gallop and often makes the wrong decisions. I know it must be hard to make split second decisions in races but other jockeys prove more adept at them so he is over rated to me. I dont have an opinion on johnson as i dont watch enough nh racing.
He gave Tiddliwinks a good ride on Saturday. Granted he was the best horse in the race and he did his usual thing, but it worked out well. I'm not a huge Spencer fan, but I still back horses when he rides. Iam more cautios though, and have to be more confident to back it if he's on. The most ironic thing about it all is that on the rare occasions that I have seen him lead from the fron or ride real close to the pace, he actually does really quite well. That's what makes it even weirder that these types of ride are so unbelievably infrequent. Good point by Fintron about Kevin Ryan too, Spencer has an uncanny (if not slightly dubious) nack of saving his best rides for Ryan No real opinion on Johnson as NH is not my forte

This will be controversial, but anyone been noticing that Ruby Walsh has a touch of 'The Spencers'? I been watching him closely since I went full-time back in the shops and the amount of times he knocks his horse off at the back of the field before coming home too late giving the thing too much to do is becoming startling. Yeah he wins a lot 'cus he's on good horses, but he gets an awful lot of average ones beat thinking they and he are better than they are. .
Yes ! Especially in Ireland ... very frustrating at times

Re: Richard Johnson & Jamie Spencer Richard Johnson however is a different story. Up until this season, I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. But recent events have seen some very basic errors from a guy who is supposedly one of the best. The ride he gave Menorah was nothing short of scandalous, and the fact that there are some very decent up and coming jocks who could be getting some of these rides kind of annoys me. I do still back horses he rides, but only if they are from my list of horses to follow - but I really would rather have another jock carrying my money so to speak. -------------------------------------------- maybe i'm silly---but thought this ride was a great education for the horse["menorah"] for his future races right--he got beat--in a race he should have won ,but the horse did everything the jockey asked him to do---a stop start ride,and not once did the horse flinch--did everything the jockey asked him to do If anyone seen him running at doncaster against bobby ewing--where he did not settle and wanted to do it his way--and had nothing left for the finish. I'm sure this horse will benefit in future races from the teaching from the said jockey And come 1.30pm on tuesday we may see the finished article

I don't think he would've rode as many winners if RJ was "useless" Mileni. Actually, I believe he isn't a bad bet for Cheltenham top jock (ew) without Walsh. As Phillip Hobbs is in excellant form. I've got 10/1 Get Me Out Of Here ew, but at current prices Minorah is outstanding value ew bet at 12/1 b365, 10/1 with Paddy Power is an even better price, as they will give your money back if Dunguib wins.
;)

Well done Dickie .. good ride :clap:clap
------------------------------- the better ride was at Ascot--where he learned the horse more[even getting beat]--alway other races[cheltenham was the target] well executed:clap