African Nations Cup 2010

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010)

In his time they have beaten Gabon' date=' Togo and an awful Morrocco side. I mean in general, the guy is an absolute tool, he has no tactical nous.[/quote'] Cameroon are unbeaten under Le Guen in seven games (not including Gabon today) and he became manager when they had one point from two games in Worl Cup Qualification. They went on to qualify quite easily, so your point is unfounded. If you thought he was tactically inept, it would be better to make your own analysis prior to the game, and stick with a selection.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you heard of something called a "job"? it means I don't get home til after 5 o'clock. Most people tend to have these things called jobs' date= which tend to last from around 9am-5pm, meaning I cannot waste my whole day on a forum like some people.. Also, are you really that dense that you can not realise my post was tongue-in-cheek? Obviously I wouldn't place a bet based purely on who the manager is, but Le Guen was a MAJOR factor in me not backing Cameroon today. I do not rate him one tiny bit as a manager... don't get your knickers in a twist at my post just cos you backed Cameroon.
Well instead of chatting nonsense on the internet after 5PM, how about posting your selections tonight, for tomorrow, as people with 9-5 jobs do. That would the logical solution for a man with a 9-5 job, wouldn't it? Sorry to get involed but I can't stand rubbish like this, I know he has a 48 hour ban but I wanted a say.

I think you're getting a bit worked up by his comment' date=' as he said it was obviously only tongue-in-cheek.[/quote']Who is getting worked up? The words I quoted were not tongue-in-cheek, he mean his earlier post?

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Go Zambia! watch these tunisian heads drop now, :hope (well if the previous matches are anything to go by). Was watching the betting on Paddy Power today and zambia traded above 3/1 last night. 13/5 straight win at kick off when i put on my bet in the shop half an hour ago.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) After scoring 4 goals in the last 12 minutes and Algeria being awful against Malawi, my logic tells me to place a bet on..... Algeria. There is something weird with this tournament, and I guess "they" expect that people will put the money on Mali after the crucial comeback

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) LOL @ daniel Nice "logic" there I must admit, although that would be totally based on the conspiracy theory. Personally I take it for granted mali will win big tomorrow. They will be afraid of the dismal probility of Malawi getting a draw to angola, and then against Mali themselves, in which case the goals scored vs Algeria may decide which teams to advance. I'm on Mali+Angola double tomorrow, but you guys do what you think is right for you. I'm taking a little rest from giving tips on this tournament (but I most probably will be back to brag about Egypt being the only side to have collected 6 points from their opening 2 games!) :lol

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Hello guys, I just saw this strange post in a Bulgarian betting newspaper and decided to translate it to you. Every day they've got "The Pick of the Day" and "The Surprise of the Day" which could be seen in the site even though you haven't paid for a subscription. (kind of a promotion) Today's surprise of the day: 13-01-2010 г. CAMEROON - GABON 2 (AWAY) Reliability: 3/10 Odds: 8.00 (Bet365) Handicap: - Tournament: Africa, CAN Time: Wednesday, 13th of January, 6pm. Result: -:- (pending) Analysis: To a large extent, our forecast has been influenced by the market analysis and caution of bookmakers to the AWAY WIN. Our subscribers know what happened on Monday when this same analysis showed "the win for Malawi against Algeria and the draw in the Côte d'Ivoire game against Burkina Faso. In generally, the tournament in Africa seems to be quite strange tournament, which will ultimately benefit mostly the bookmakers. We believe that today's attempt for the Gabon's win is worth at that odds, and also we must not overestimate and Cameroon, which since quite a long time can not carry into effect the generational change and that makes the team too vulnerable to the serious major games. I suppose there are a lot of mistakes but spot on to the guys in the newspaper. Their "Pick of the Day" is a home win in Juventus - Napoli.

Have not started betting this tournament yet but will start with the game the 2nd game today. Have to say reading this thread has provided some great comments :lol. Going to go with Zambia-Tunisia O2.25 @1.95. Of course not all games will go over but it seems like anyone who takes over in all games should turn a safe profit we shall see :hope. By the way watching 3 or 4 of these games the goalkeeping is comical maybe im wrong for saying that since i havent seen all the games but it looks like this is there first ever game in goal :loon
1-1 in 40th and it finishes that way...well at least it wasn't a complete loss I guess but disappointed. I should have taken the advice from many on here now I have fallen victim to this ACN. Well theres tommrow :lol

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Mali v Algeria - Mali @ 6/4 SJ Lets assume that the 4-4 game was not fixed, despite conspiracy theories. I think Mali should go into this game with huge momentum whilst Algeria will be going in with the exact opposite, losing 3-0 to Malawi. Mali didn't show nothing up until 15 minutes from the end when they produced what people were more expecting, ok to get four goals was a bit more than that, I read that Algeria played very poorly also, both teams have started poorly, but I feel the upper hand will be with Mali after there stunning comeback.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) The battle contines in Africa....................... Mali -0.25 AH @ 2.10 (5/10) There have been far too many shocks in this CAN so far, and I think its time we saw a couple of favourites win, starting today. That incredible first game of the tournament which saw Mali come from 0-4 down to draw will surely give them some momentum heading into this clash. For a large part of that game, Mali were outplayed by Angola, but crucially produced a terrific end to the encounter. The likes of Keita and Kanoute looked really ‘up for it’ (eventually) and I expect them to claim victory here today. Algeria had a nightmare in their opening group game, suffering a shock 0-3 defeat against minnows Malawi. A dramatic improvement is desperately needed here, but I’m not so sure they can recover so quickly. The north Africa team looked really awful, lacking in all departments especially defence where too many individual mistakes were made. In particular, I have absolutely no confidence in the goalkeeper who looks a complete clown any time the ball comes towards him. Its hardly an ideal scenario and I’m sure Mali will try and test him out as often as possible here. Perhaps being underdogs will suit Algeria more, but based on what we saw in the opening group games, Mali should be able to get the business done here. They have good attacking potential and I expect them to cause problems to this weak looking Algerian defence. Over 2.5 could also be a good bet here, I expect an open encounter with plenty of goals, but the best value looks to be on Mali. Angola -1 AH @ 2.13 (5/10) Angola should never have blown a 4-0 lead in the first match, but perhaps it could have a positive effect on the team. Normally if that sort of thing happened to a club team, then they might sit and sulk for a few weeks about it, Angola simply wont be allowed to do that! They are the hosts of this CAN, big things are expected of them and they cant afford to let down their fans. So I expect a reaction here and I’d be surprised if Malawi repeated their heroics of the previous match. I must say that their 3-0 victory against Algeria hit me for six, I never saw it coming at all, a complete shock to me! After assessing the game, my conclusion is that Malawi mostly won because of Algeria’s ineptitude. Ok, some credit has to be given to Malawi and they looked a decent defensive unit that comfortably restricted Algeria. But literally everything went their way, they got an early goal gifted to them, and then scored with an unstoppable bullet header. They were then gifted another goal at the start of the 2nd half, and in the last 30 mins I thought they came under some pressure and looked tired physically. This should be a more difficult test, and they’ll also have a home crowd to contend with. I don’t think Angola will make the same mistakes they made in the first match, and know how vital it is to win today. If they get going and take their chances then it could end up as a comfortable success, so I have no qualms taking them -1 AH.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I know I'm being hated for talking about a corrupt tournament. I wrote after the first 3 strange results. I haven't played on any matches yet so it's not because I've lost my money - but several of you guys have talked about abysmal defences and keepers - and there HAS been some strange results. Angola 4 - 4 Mali Malawi 3 - 0 Algerien Ivory Coast 0 - 0 Burkina Faso Egypt 3 - 1 Nigeria Mozambique 2 - 2 Benin Cameroun 0 - 1 Gabon Zambia 1 - 1 Tunesia It might just have been a strange tournament but I don't know why you rule out the possibily of fixed matches - is it a TABU in this forum? Unfortunately I don't have insider information - and the most likely games to be fixed are normally the last ones in a group competition (where one of the teams already outplayed their role) - and normally it's the outsider team that is losing heavily, but this tournament has differed. Maybe the fixers wanted to be sure to make some money in the first round where some of the teams could pass by with a draw or narrow defeat - and still advance with better (non-fixed) performance in the coming two rounds? All in all - 7 games with a single favourite win is unheard in a regional tournament - but let's hope logic will find it's way into the tournament in round 2 :) Please don't hate me for having an opinion (you're entitled to have one too, Bahnhof...***)

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) People get carried away with talk of fixing etc - everyone loves a conspiracy. But in all honesty if they wanted to fix a 4-4 ie the 1st game, do you not think they would have done it in a slightly safer manor than waiting until 11 mins to score 4 goals - 2 of them in extra time?

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) OK, guys, this isn't working for me... I've picked 3 out of 8 games from the first round and put some money on them: Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Tunisia. Fail after fail after fail... The results and overall impression are terrible! So, I've decided to turn the tables, and cover the losses CAN made me. I know, I know, I've made them myself, but CAN assisted :) Mali vs Algeria - MALI WINS @ 2.40 (local) It's true that Mali looked like a bunch of huge underachivers almost all the way through the first match, but man, did they manage a rarely seen comeback! Like West Germany beating Hungary in the last 8 minutes in the WC finals 55 years ago... Mali has quality, no doubt about it, and I'm placing my bet on an assumption that they will play this match right from the start, and not only the last 15 minutes. They won a point in the last match, but I feel like they have lost 2 points, since they could have stormed Angola from the start and take the win. Angola vs Malawi - ANGOLA WINS @ 1.70 (local) Seems like an easy pick, but a lot of games on this tournament looked that way. Malawi are the team that the hosts must beat to qualify, and we will probably see a game in which Angola will have all the initiative and attacking game, and Malawi will wait for chances to counter-attack. I'm still on the hosts, because as always hosts have some advantages regarding jury decisons and a fanatical crowd on the stands.

OK' date=' guys, this isn't working for me... I've picked 3 out of 8 games from the first round and put some money on them: Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Tunisia. Fail after fail after fail... [/quote'] I'm not much better either. Took Ivory Coast and Cameroon and both failed. Shall stay away tonight. Good luck for your pick!

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) One of the golden rules of betting is never chase your losses.It seems this is what's happening to a few of you here.There are no real stats for this tournement with only 1 game being played so far and no real injury news.The bookies prices seem to be set correctly for the most part so ask yourselves why are you betting on this tournement.If it's for entertainment(watching the matches for the buzz)then fine but if it's to make money,then there are far better opportunities.You don't have to bet on every game.It's one of the few advantages we have over the bookies.Good luck to you all though....

One of the golden rules of betting is never chase your losses.It seems this is what's happening to a few of you here.There are no real stats for this tournement with only 1 game being played so far and no real injury news.The bookies prices seem to be set correctly for the most part so ask yourselves why are you betting on this tournement.If it's for entertainment(watching the matches for the buzz)then fine but if it's to make money' date='then there are far better opportunities.You don't have to bet on every game.It's one of the few advantages we have over the bookies.Good luck to you all though....[/quote'] Well said! :ok Shall be disciplined and wait for the weekend! *hopes there's no more postponing of matches*

Mali was verry lucky... they score 4 goals and draw with Angola, but is not a decisive fact to consider Mali a good team, especialy when they looked poor in this match! Algeria are in the rase, they elimated Egypt in WCQ and have many players in European Leagues and I think the value is on them at 3.30... My bet for this game is Algeria(0) 2.19 (12BET)
Have you even watched the game? Lying on the pitch for 3-5 minutes after each little tackle, arguing over each referee decision, sorry but WC would be way better with Egypt than Algeria

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I agree with everyone backing Mail and I will be backing them myself today, just haven't decided yet if I will go for a straight win or some kind of handicap. Mali played bad for almost 80 minutes but the last ten will give them a major confidence boost. And I just couldn't believe how bad Algeria was. They were behind for almost all game and yet they attacked with just 3 people and apart from two half chances created no danger at all. They were lazy and absolutely not interested in this game - there was a curious situation in the middle of the 2nd half which really summed up their approach for this game - one of their players was patiently tying his shoelaces for over a minute with play going on around him:loon Plus their goalkeeper represents below average level for an African gk;)

yes, I saw the match, and I really think Mali was lucky!!! and another minus for Mali is their weak defence... Algeria will score for sure
heh, I was talking about Egypt-Algeria game. Anyways its clear that Algeria wants to get out from this competition as soon as possible. Mali -1 might be a good bet if Algeria will start with the same goalie again

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Small bet on a Mali and Angloa double but my main bet for the day is over 2.5 goals in the Mali - Algeria game @ evens. Both teams have weak defenses and are more than capable of scoring. 11 goals in the first two games involving these teams point towards goals so evens seems like decent odds.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) After four days competition this Can has prove to be very difficult to predict, not a favourite has been able to win and some are even saying games are fixed. Teams which have not perfomed are Algeria Ivory coast Nigeria and Cameroon and concidence or not these teams are the one who is qualified for the world cup whereas Egypt who is not qualified did deliver and was impressive.May be those team are using the Can just to finalise their preparation for the wc some of the players are cautious not to get involved too much for fear of being injured. A big reaction is awaited from them in the 2nd match and their real face can come out but briefly to sumarise some team as I ve seen them Egypt Is the more impressive right now, show great maturity even when one goal down know how to absorb pressure, have a decent defence tough midfield is not that tough but have two forwards in zidane and meteeb who can play swift counter attack, always a danger for any defence. Nigeria A lot of individual quality but as a team didn’t produce a lot, seem that their preparation is not over yet. Cameroon Physically well present on the field ,strong midfield and good defence but their lack of creativity in front of goal and finishing touch cost them their first match,Eto still to click into gear Algeria Not the same team that beat Egypt twice to qualify for the wc, Favourite tag don’t suit them and was unable to raise their game against Malawi, a team that is still learning. Cant comment on ivory coast didn’t watch their first match Good luck to aLL

Small bet on a Mali and Angloa double but my main bet for the day is over 2.5 goals in the Mali - Algeria game @ evens. Both teams have weak defenses and are more than capable of scoring. 11 goals in the first two games involving these teams point towards goals so evens seems like decent odds.
I think this could be a good call, there have already been lots of goals in this tournament, due in no small part to the quality (or lack of it) of the goalkeeping and defenses! Having had little success with big fav's like Cameroon and Ivory Coast, betting on the overs markets has actually made some decent returns. I think the 2.18 on Betfair available for over 2.5 goals in Mali v Algeria is something I will be taking with small stakes. GL to all getting involved again today, lets hope this second round of matches prove more profitable... :ok

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Interesting tournament and a great learning opportunity. Performances are far from solid, and market movements have been huge back and forth and no one seems to have a good reasoning for anything. I see there are mixed feelings and thoughts about this. After watching carefully all the matches so far - and fortunately making most bets in running - for today the only bet I could think of is Algeria. Thery were awful in the first match, but there is so much room for improvement in the squad that in my papers they are slightly favourites against Mali. Only slightly but still favourites. I hope they were just mentally absent in the opening match, the atmosphere might have been a bit strange after all the Sodoma and Gomorra going on. I would not be surprised to change my opinion when the match is up and running - it has happened already several times in this tournament - but as a pre-match bet Algeria 0 @ 2.35 is big value for me. Angola - Malawi is totally another matter and I give up. Tempted to go for Malawi + 0,75 but even more tempted to keep the head calm and not to bet. The prices might still change significantly back and forth and definitely if that is more than 2 at some time it represents value. Maybe already at 1.94. Looking forward to another night to remember with African football!

I know I'm being hated for talking about a corrupt tournament. I wrote after the first 3 strange results. I haven't played on any matches yet so it's not because I've lost my money - but several of you guys have talked about abysmal defences and keepers - and there HAS been some strange results. Angola 4 - 4 Mali Malawi 3 - 0 Algerien Ivory Coast 0 - 0 Burkina Faso Egypt 3 - 1 Nigeria Mozambique 2 - 2 Benin Cameroun 0 - 1 Gabon Zambia 1 - 1 Tunesia It might just have been a strange tournament but I don't know why you rule out the possibily of fixed matches - is it a TABU in this forum? Unfortunately I don't have insider information - and the most likely games to be fixed are normally the last ones in a group competition (where one of the teams already outplayed their role) - and normally it's the outsider team that is losing heavily, but this tournament has differed. Maybe the fixers wanted to be sure to make some money in the first round where some of the teams could pass by with a draw or narrow defeat - and still advance with better (non-fixed) performance in the coming two rounds? All in all - 7 games with a single favourite win is unheard in a regional tournament - but let's hope logic will find it's way into the tournament in round 2 :) Please don't hate me for having an opinion (you're entitled to have one too, Bahnhof...***)
I think alot has to do with some of these teams and 4 out of the 7 you listed above are going to the world cup. Not saying that they are not trying in this competition but maybe not going 100% to risk injury so close to the world cup. I could definetly be wrong in saying that but instead of just saying a crazy result is fixed it does involve african teams which are very unpredictable and some of these teams have one eye on the world cup IMO. Am I saying that NO none of these games have been fixed? I can't say that because I dont know but how many times in non african games have we seen a team control the game get most of the chances and then the other team wins a free kick or scores on there first attack of the game. You will see it even if you watch games now and then. For Today's Games MALI-ALGERIA OVER 2.5 @2.10 5/10 The only thing that sticks out as a reason not to take this is the fact that both teams gave up so many goals in there first game and maybe in this game they will want to tighten up the defense and both will want to get off to a much steadier start by not conceding. But with that said they way this tournament has gone I have a hard time taking an under with these 2 teams playing as both have talent to score and both haven't been great at the back. ANGOLA -1 @2.10 5/10 The hosts played very well in the first game and we all know about the last 11 mins. Hopefully they can see the good they did in the match and stay positive with still 2 games left. Being the host nation I think will help a little in putting that meltdown behind them because in the end they did get a point and today is a good chance for 3. Good luck to all :cheers

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I've not really followed a lot of this thread but a few people are going big on Angola. How on earth can you trust a team that were 4-0 up with 11 minutes to go and ended up drawing 4-4? They'll be nervous and that result will play on their minds. They've got the pressure of the home crowd on them too. I might be wrong - which is why I have no cash on this game - but I couldn't back Angola with any confidence. Good luck to those that have though :ok