** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Europa League 17 September

ultravires

Re: Europa League 17 September Basel – Roma: Roma Win @ 1.83 (Bet365) 10/10 Both teams haven't started their seasons very well. However, Basel has an iffy form over a longer period and Roma has just changed coach and are coming of a confidence boosting away win (1-2 against Sienna). On paper Roma is better and they play in a better league and should be able to defeat a stumbling Basel side. Rapid Wien – Hamburg: Hamburg Win @ 1.73 (Coral) 10/10 Hamburg is clearly the better team on paper and German football is a lot more competitive than the Austrian league. Hamburg's form is great including victories against the likes of Stuttgart and Wolfsburg. Rapid come into this game after a 2-1 loss to last placed Karnten. Surely, won't be good for the host's confidence against a team that has realistic chances of winning this cup Lille – Valencia: Valencia Win @ 2.30 (Betfair) 10/10 I believe Valencia are a top team in Spain whereas Lille are, at best, an above average team in France. The thing in Lille's favor tonight is the home field and I don't think that will be enough to get something from Valencia. The visitors have started the season very well and have shown that they have strong scoring ability. Aside from defeating Genk, in the cup's qualifiers, Lille has exhibited poor form. Good odds for Valencia's win here. Club Brugge – Shakhtar Donetsk: Shakhtar Donetsk Win @ 1.90 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Brugge's start to the season indicates that are stumbling at the moment. At home they have a 1-2-0 record with a negative goal differential of 5-8. Overall, I judge Brugge to be weaker this year and that is telling since they were nothing special last year. Shakhtar has started the season well winning 6 out of 7 matches (in all competitions). Arguably, the visitors are realistic contenders for the final in this cup and they should defeat an average, at best, Brugge team. Nacional de Madeira – Werder Bremen: Werder Bremen Win @ 1.80 (VC Bet) 10/10 Nacional has become competitive in recent years in Portugal's top league, but they have started the season badly (0-2-2 record; 2-7 goal differential). Bremen's 4 game winning streak (UEFA & Bundesliga matches) came to an end following a poor 0-0 (at home) draw against Hannover. But I think the German team plays in a much more competitive league and have a better quality roster. Finally, Bremen were last year's UEFA Cup finalists and may have a thing or two to prove this year in the competition. Fenerbache – Twente: Fenerbache Win @ 1.80 (Betfred) 10/10 I don't think there is a great difference between the teams, but I think that the home advantage will give the match to Fener. The hosts have started with a perfect 5-0-0 in the Turkish league with an impressive 15-2 goal differential. Twente are a good team, but I think Fener's confidence and the home crowd will propel the hosts to at least a 1-0 victory.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Europa League 17 September CSKA Sofia vs Fulham Advice: 10pts on CSKA SOFIA at 2.40 Paddy Power Much has been made about Fulham treating this competition with no respect and CSKA Sofia can take advantage tonight. The Bulgarians are well known for having a raucous crowd at home ties and they are one of the sides who will be treating this competiton very seriously. Fulham are known as poor travellers and with pretty much their second choice squad playing tonight, you feel they are there to be shot at by the hosts. Villarreal vs Levski Sofia Advice: 10pts on VILLARREAL (-2) AH at 2.12 Ladbrokes Massive difference in class here. Villarreal are Champions League class and should dispose of Sofia with ease here. They hammered NAC Breda 9-2 to qualify for this competition. Sofia dropped into this after losing 4-1 to Debrecen and they come into this after losing 2-1 at home to Lokomotiv in the league at the weekend. Villarreal can welcome back top striker Nilmar for this match and he will cause Levski severe problems. I can’t see anything other than a comfortable home win here and this AH line is decent enough for me. Dinamo Zagreb vs Anderlecht Advice: 10pts on DINAMO ZAGREB at 2.10 Expekt I remember watching Zagreb at home to Hearts and they were fantastic. However on the return leg, they were dismal but I am pitting my wits on them being very much a different side at home. Anderlecht were hammered 8-2 by Lyon in the CL qualifying round and come into this after losing away at Sint Truden (2-1) at the weekend. Zagreb won 1-0 away from home at the weekend and before that had backed up their home form with a 6-0 win against Slaven. Zagreb are a very very good side on their day and I feel with the home fans behind them here, they should see off the Belgians. FCR Cluj vs Cophenhagen Advice: 10pts on CLUJ at 2.25 Expekt Cluj are a very good outfit and their home form seems very solid indeed. Cophenhagen have a few missings here with Jesper Gronkjaer, Ulrik Laursen & Hjalte Norregard all absent. The Romanians have recent Champions League experience and this bet actually comes more from my instinct than hard studying. I just feel Cluj could well be a better side in all departments and with a solid crowd behind them here, they will take plenty of beating on home turf here. Cophenhagen’s injury problems only add to the confidence of my selection here. Hapoel Tel Aviv vs Celtic Advice: 10pts on CELTIC at 2.62 Betfred Celtic should have too much class for Tel Aviv here. The Bhoys have the squad to compete with most teams in the Champions League and this represents a massive drop in class for the Tic. McGeady returns and their only player out is Marc Fortune. The likes of Maloney & Aiden will have too much pace and flair for Tel Aviv and anything other than a Celtic win will be disappointing.

Re: Europa League 17 September

Basel – Roma: Roma Win @ 1.83 (Bet365) 10/10 Both teams haven't started their seasons very well. However, Basel has an iffy form over a longer period and Roma has just changed coach and are coming of a confidence boosting away win (1-2 against Sienna). On paper Roma is better and they play in a better league and should be able to defeat a stumbling Basel side. Rapid Wien – Hamburg: Hamburg Win @ 1.73 (Coral) 10/10 Hamburg is clearly the better team on paper and German football is a lot more competitive than the Austrian league. Hamburg's form is great including victories against the likes of Stuttgart and Wolfsburg. Rapid come into this game after a 2-1 loss to last placed Karnten. Surely, won't be good for the host's confidence against a team that has realistic chances of winning this cup Lille – Valencia: Valencia Win @ 2.30 (Betfair) 10/10 I believe Valencia are a top team in Spain whereas Lille are, at best, an above average team in France. The thing in Lille's favor tonight is the home field and I don't think that will be enough to get something from Valencia. The visitors have started the season very well and have shown that they have strong scoring ability. Aside from defeating Genk, in the cup's qualifiers, Lille has exhibited poor form. Good odds for Valencia's win here. Club Brugge – Shakhtar Donetsk: Shakhtar Donetsk Win @ 1.90 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 Brugge's start to the season indicates that are stumbling at the moment. At home they have a 1-2-0 record with a negative goal differential of 5-8. Overall, I judge Brugge to be weaker this year and that is telling since they were nothing special last year. Shakhtar has started the season well winning 6 out of 7 matches (in all competitions). Arguably, the visitors are realistic contenders for the final in this cup and they should defeat an average, at best, Brugge team. Nacional de Madeira – Werder Bremen: Werder Bremen Win @ 1.80 (VC Bet) 10/10 Nacional has become competitive in recent years in Portugal's top league, but they have started the season badly (0-2-2 record; 2-7 goal differential). Bremen's 4 game winning streak (UEFA & Bundesliga matches) came to an end following a poor 0-0 (at home) draw against Hannover. But I think the German team plays in a much more competitive league and have a better quality roster. Finally, Bremen were last year's UEFA Cup finalists and may have a thing or two to prove this year in the competition. Fenerbache – Twente: Fenerbache Win @ 1.80 (Betfred) 10/10 I don't think there is a great difference between the teams, but I think that the home advantage will give the match to Fener. The hosts have started with a perfect 5-0-0 in the Turkish league with an impressive 15-2 goal differential. Twente are a good team, but I think Fener's confidence and the home crowd will propel the hosts to at least a 1-0 victory.
Actually, I don't know why you're saying that Bruges is weaker than last year. We're playing much better football, deserved wins in those 2 matches (referee mistakes + 2 times plays the opposite keeper the game of his life). Off course Shacktar is the favourite, but it won't be easy.

I agree totally about how stupid it is for teams like Fulham to devalue this competition.
I dont think Fulham devalue this competition, UEFA have done that themselves with the ridiculous format, they should have just left it as a knockout tournament plain and simple. As for bets, I dont bother with big stakes in the earlier rounds as you dont know what teams are taking it seriously as others have said, ive just done a 5 fold accumulator for a bit of interest.... Hamburg - 8/11 CSKA Sofia - 6/4 Roma - 4/5 Everton - 1/2 Shakhtar - 5/6 £5 staked for £106 returns at coral

Rapid come into this game after a 2-1 loss to last placed Karnten. Surely, won't be good for the host's confidence against a team that has realistic chances of winning this cup
I do not know where u got this information from, but it's totally wrong..Austria Wien played against Kärnten and lost 1-2 on their field...Rapid Wien played against RB Salzburg last sunday and had a 2-2... Rapid is more than motivated, the statistics also talk for Rapid, but in the end Hamburg will win 2-0

Actually, I don't know why you're saying that Bruges is weaker than last year. We're playing much better football, deserved wins in those 2 matches (referee mistakes + 2 times plays the opposite keeper the game of his life). Off course Shacktar is the favourite, but it won't be easy.
Ok, admittedly I didn't know the "special" details concerning the matches that Brugge "deserved" to win. Fair enough, but I still think Brugge has less quality than Donetsk. Of course Shakhtar's possible win won't be easy, but where can we find "easy" wins is the question....:unsure:unsure

I do not know where u got this information from' date=' but it's totally wrong..Austria Wien played against Kärnten and lost 1-2 on their field...Rapid Wien played against RB Salzburg last sunday and had a 2-2... Rapid is more than motivated, the statistics also talk for Rapid, but in the end Hamburg will win 2-0[/quote'] Yes, I mixed up the teams and their results. Thanks for the correction.:ok Nevertheless, I still think the quality difference is the overriding factor here which should give the German team the win.

Re: Europa League 17 September A post above was clear enough - Nacional are very much underestimated vs Werder Bremen. This is not Bremen I would back at anything below 2,00 - at the moment they are 1,72 to win in Madeira and I see great value in Nacional + 0,5 AH @ 2,16. My second would have been Fenerbahce to win, but odds dropped to 1,70 so I paired it with Hamburg to win. GL

Re: Europa League 17 September Any Everton fans about? Leighton Baines to remain on penalty duty? despite big name strikers returning? With 10 referees on the goal line for Platini's brainwave, i can see some controversy tonight, and home sides usually are the benefactors. Bainsey @ 25/1 FGS nice nice.

A post above was clear enough - Nacional are very much underestimated vs Werder Bremen. This is not Bremen I would back at anything below 2' date='00 - at the moment they are 1,72 to win in Madeira and I see great value in [b']Nacional + 0,5 AH @ 2,16. My second would have been Fenerbahce to win, but odds dropped to 1,70 so I paired it with Hamburg to win. GL
I do agree, a lot of value sitting on Nacional. Even Schaaf was able to rate them high - if that helps chaotic Bremen? :lol Bremen in general looking bad against teams who are able to football and teams who know how to defend very good (Portoguese and Greek) :ok

line-up for Austria Wien - Bilbao Athletic Bilbao: Iraizoz - Iraola, Ocio, Amorebieta, Castillo - Susaeta, Gurpegi, Gabilondo, Muniain - Toquero, Llorente. J. Martinez, De Marcos (not allowed to play), Orbaiz, Munoz, Diaz de Cerio, Yeste (all 4 Injured) Austria Wien: Safar - Standfest, Bak, Ortlechner, Suttner - Klein, Vorisek, Dragovic, E. Sulimani - Jun, Diabang. Baumgartlinger (not allowed to play), Okotie, Junuzovic, Hattenberger, Acimovic (all 4 injured) Lazio: Muslera - Lichtsteiner, Diakite, Cribari, Radu - Dabo, Baronio, Mauri - Foggia/Meghni - Cruz, Zarate backup: Bizzarri - Siviglia, Bonetto, Stendardo, Eliseu, Del Nero, S. Inzaghi Kolarov (not allowed to play), Rocchi, Brocchi, Scaloni, Makinwa (injured), Salzburg: Gustafsson (very good goal-keeper!!) - Schwegler, Sekagya, Afolabi, Ulmer - Leitgeb, Pokrivac - Tchoyi, Zickler, Svento - Janko Missing for the match: Pitak, Ngwat-Mahop, Jezek, Rakic, Ilsanker, Aufhauser, Ilic, Boussaidi, Traoui Lazio doesn't really care about this tournament, rather focus on seria A... Still...Lazio should win, but i won't bet on that one
Hi Filoshi, in my opinion Lazio cares about this cup, just seeing Zarate and Cruz means a lot. And by the Lazio in Serie A can only fight eventually for a place in next Champions League, but not much more than that, so why wasting the opportunity to do well in this European scenario? Just my opinions mate. BTW tonight Muslera most probably won't play, as the goalie tonight will be Bizzarri, Lichtsteiner could have some problems and so Stendardo could play. we will see anyway. I am on Lazio -1 BTW. good luck to anyone! Luigi

Re: Europa League 17 September Cluj vs FC København I've gone for the home side here due to their good form at home. Admittedly, they are not as good as they were a year ago when in the Champions League but should still have enough to see off their opponents. København/Copenhagen will miss a handful of regulars tonight like their goalkeeper Jesper Christiansen, midfielder and skipper Hjalte Bo Nørregaard, expereinced winger Jesper Grønkjær and last, but not least, their Brazilian striker Cesar Santin. This coupled with their recent form in the domestic league, which has not been convincing of late, leads me to the home win here. Edit: I forgot to mention that København have also loaned out Morten Nordstrand to Groningen, which leaves them more or less short of attacking possibilites. In any case I cannot see them scoring more than once in Romania, if at all.

Re: Europa League 17 September Dont understand the clamour for Fenerbahce, having watched them a few times this season they are nothing spectacular..FC Twente are good at the back and should really be in the champions league imo..I fancy them to keep it tight tonight and nick a draw or win..

Re: Europa League 17 September I have singles bets on: [url=http://www.oddscomparisons.com/football/uefa-europa-league/group-stage/group-b/round-1/lille-osc-v-valencia/match-result/]Valencia away to Lille Shakhtar away to Brugge Partizan at home to Toulouse Nacional at home to Bremen (DNB) Nacional seem to be decent value. I've had a small accy with all of the above, but Nacional as outright winners.

Re: Europa League 17 September Possibly slightly late, but there are three bets I've taken tonight. Heerenveen V Sporting Lisbon @ 2.10. Everton @ 1.57 V AEK Athens CSKA Sofia 0, + 0.5 @ 1.75 V Fulham I have already given detailed analysis of the top two earlier in the thread, so I won't go into it all again. Fulham are making 9 changes. Even if the players coming in want to prove themselves, I don't feel that any of them have the desired quality to perform to a high standard here. Fulham lost their other away fixture earlier in qualifying to Ankar Perm. They clearly don't want to participate in the Europa league and are more concerned with their fight for survival in the EPL. Sofia don't concede too many goals either. They have kept 5 clean sheets in all their 5 games so far this season and haven't conceded yet at home in all competitions. They have enough about them to pick up at least a point.

Hang on, some big jumps your doing here. First of all, they had problems with Martin Jol too and at the moment they are at least doing similary good. At the beginning of the season they started with a bad DFB-Cup performance which let people being sceptical about Hamburg with Labbadia (who was not successful enough in Leverkusen). But the more matches they played, the better they got winning against Dortmund, Wolfsburg and Stuttgart - which is deffo not an easy starting plan in Bundesliga. I rate those clubs higher than the clubs Rapid Wien head in Europe League and that Aston Villa does not care much about Europe League is a well known fact (not even speaking about their overall bad start into 2009/2010 season). The injury of Guerrero of course hit them, but I would not overrate it really since new guys like Ze Roberto, Elia and Berg add a lot of goal danger for Hamburg. As far as I know Hamburg has a clear aim to finish the group stage on a good position. In general German teams are always motivated and the only unpredictable performance of Hamburg was at the very beginning of the season. You can turn this around, German teams always like to destroy Austrian sides. Despite all this, I agree that there is not much value sitting on Hamburg. Away from home with those low odds (max 1.75 now - they were priced EVENS at some bookies which is an acceptable price) backing does not makes a lot of sense. Would have backed them at Evens though.
I'm not saying Rapid Vienna are better but I think they have more in their favour for this game than Hamburg is all. It could be 0-4 as a final result to Hamburg, who knows? It's just what I think will happen :)

I'm a bit surprised with all the people thinking of taking Hamburg away to Rapid Vienna. Have none of you watched Rapid Vienna lately?! They've not been as good as they are now for years. True, they've lost Maierhofer, which is a blow, but they're a good outfit and hard to play against. They've played three games at home in qualifiers and won all of them, two against weaker opposition, one against better opposition (Aston Villa). In fact, Rapid Vienna could and probably should have beaten Villa away as well but luck prevented this - just luck! Hamburg really don't look the same without Martin Jol anymore. True, they've got some good results in the Bundesliga this season. However, they've lost Guerrero through cruciate ligament injury for some time too, don't forget. Have they really been tested in Europe yet though? Not really. They've played a French Ligue 2 side and understandably walked both legs and have also played Randers of Denmark, winning the away leg and mystically losing the home leg. Hamburg are anything but a sure bet here with their somewhat unpredictable performances and German sides are some of the worst to depend upon in European competition. Lastly, Austrian sides will always be extra motivated against German sides for obvious reasons. Personally, I'd consider laying Hamburg rather than backing them. Good luck all.
:nana

Re: Europa League 17 September well i still have goosebumps, was an amazing match..Hamburg just had 1-2 chance, but those were needy. 1st goal a bit luck, but as i said Hoffmann is a fantastic freekicker. 2nd goal also a bit luck, third goal by a very young austrian named Drazan...TERRIFIC goal and in the replay look at the technique of his shot...

Fenerbahce look a strong bet at home against Twente.Fener have a UCL team this season,and are no doubt one of the best teams in Europa League,I think they will finish top of there group. Twente on the other hand have big,strong players and a notoriusly unimaginative coach,I rate them as the 5th or 6th team in Holland. A very good Fener team + a great athmosphere at the ŞÃœKRÃœ SARAÇOĞLU + fans and board expectations of european succes + a mediocre dutch side = Fenerbahce home win Of course no bet on a turkish team is ok without Zico1907's blessing so waiting on a :ok from the sultan of punts himself :lol
I'm romanian so no I'm not a Fenerbahce supporter' date='but the difference of class between the two teams is enormous.I have no problem with Twente,but I've seen them play and I have seen Fenerbahce play...and that's enough said ;)[/quote'] One minute's silence for those who placed their bets after reading posts full of emotions or long-distance observation :\

Re: Europa League 17 September If you read his analyse, you find a lot of aspects in the match - just two individual mistakes opened the door to the defeat. I dont think that Zazu has a big fault here. Thats why we should never bet too much % of our total bank on a single match. This things can always happen. ;)

Heerenveen V Sporting Lisbon @ 2.10. :) Everton @ 1.57 V AEK Athens :) CSKA Sofia 0, + 0.5 @ 1.75 V Fulham :)
Much happier over tonight's results. Whoever tipped Leighton Baines to score a PEN because of the extra officials was right in the analysis. :ok Two players sent off in a game that wasn't particularly nasty. Purely because the assistants ruled them as such. The referee should referee, not be swayed by every single thing that happens. There will still be mistakes made in decision making, regardless of how many officials you have.

Much happier over tonight's results. Whoever tipped Leighton Baines to score a PEN because of the extra officials was right in the analysis. :ok Two players sent off in a game that wasn't particularly nasty. Purely because the assistants ruled them as such. The referee should referee, not be swayed by every single thing that happens. There will still be mistakes made in decision making, regardless of how many officials you have.
Congratulations man, I'm afraid can't say the same thing, the last goal of Werder made me cry. :wall