** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Europa League 17 September

ultravires

Re: Europa League 17 September

I am struggling to see much value in this round.The problem is really knowing how seriously teams will take the competition.Too many teams did not take the uefa cup seriously and with their being more games in the new europa league i think most "bigger" clubs will probably play younger/reserve players in a lot of the games. IF teams take it seriously then there may well be some decent prices about but i just don't trust a lot of the teams to put 100% into it.
This reminds me of a good post here by NASTRO last season - it somehow doesn't make much sense how clubs from the major Euro Leagues are fighting all season to end up in top spot and secure a place in Europe just to find out come the UEFA Cup they start playing second-choice players in most games in the group phase. In my opinion : --- the money in this League will treble soon, so more Clubs will look at the competition far more serious; --- in the groups hardly any team from a major League fields the best team in most games. The case with the smaller countries is obvious - every point is more money to the limited clubs' budgets, every good performance is a chance to sell a good player to the Big Boys; --- the case with Clubs like Genoa or Everton or Anderlecht for example could be different - these Clubs are big enough and have a bench long enough in numbers and quality to go through the group stage and later in February sort their priorities as of their domestic League chances. On the Genoa example ( or recently Parma and Palermo ) - would you risk players like Crespo, Sculli and Flocarri together going to Baku or Grozny ( no offense)? All such teams need is a couple of points away and a couple of home wins to go through; --- the case with the German teams remains another mistery - they always seem to field the best of the best; --- with teams like Fenerbahce, Villareal, Benfica, Sporting, Shakhtar who belong more to CL it is clear - priority number 1 to them is a CL spot next year, still both their reserve and youth teams are very strong, they go to the knock-out stage with relative ease, Yet these clubs also got enough money to strenghten up in January for both CL ambitions and UEFA Cup. AC Milan and previously Bayern went far enough in UEFA, but with 50 % effort and commitment IMO - the League was by far more important. Just some thoughts, who by no means are compulsory - a couple of years ago Parma was close to the semis here with the reserve team, the first-choice players were fighting relegation battle... GL

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Europa League 17 September Odds are dropping for CSKA against Fulham so I have taken CSKA [email protected] Sportingbet 6/10. The major reason is that as mention above Fulham will be far from playing with the first squad. Additionally, the home crowd is expected to give serious boost to the morale of CSKA and if Fulham are not playing with their first team the home factor can also have major impact on the players. And finally CSKA do not have major missings from the squad and are highly motivated to take the three points. Good luck

Re: Europa League 17 September On first look.. i fancy under 2.5 goals in Basel v Roma @ 11/8, reasons being roma are solid defensively (shakey start of season asside) and assuming they take this competion seriously could go far, Basel on the other hand im not to sure about but they'l make it tough, im thinkin a 0-0 or 1-1 and feel the price is generous

Re: Europa League 17 September Hej guys im new to this forum. First of all,hey to everyone =) Im from Austria and therefore i'll try to give u some information for the matches today. Rapid Wien - Hamburg: As supposedly several of u know, Rapid is a very very strong hometeam and plays the best football they have had within the last years, even though they won the austrian league 2008... Rapid doesn't play in their homestadium, they play in the socalled Happel Stadion which is bigger.Rapid played six times against Hamburg, but just in friendly-matchs => the statistic is overwhealming for Rapid: five wins and one draw.. Rapid has the greatest fan-support, almost all tickets for the 51000 big stadium (big for austrian relations) r sold. Rapid played against RB Salzburg few days ago..they r 1st (again) but u couldnt see anything of them! Rapid played, had huge chance to already lead 4-0 in the first halt, but it was a 0-2 for RB Salzburg...end => 2-2 Their captain and mainplayer Stefen Hoffmann is fit, in a really good shape and the most important played in Rapid. His freekicks are amazing! Hamburg will probably miss their Jerome Boateng. Except of them, i heard all others will play, but i didnt get the linup yet, so we'll see in few hours :) Rapid misses their defender "Andreas Dober", a young austrian, but thats not a lose at all for Rapid (if u want my honesty :D)...Trimmel is injured, same as Jürgen Patocka. Trimmel is just a joker for Rapid, a young very talented austrian. Patocka is an important defender, so this might be the biggest "problem" for Pacult, the coach of Rapid. One more important played who won't be able to play on Rapid's side is "Milan Jovanovic"..In attack, Nikica Jelavic and the new Hamdi Salihi will play. Jelavic is the one who shot Aston Villa away. Salihi shot the important 2-2 against RB Salzburg last Sunday. The win against Aston Villa...Well let's face it: Rapid fought well, but Aston Villa didn't play fully. Moreover, Rapid shot at home within 50 seconds (something like that) the first important goal..From that moment on, the game was dead Hamburg misses Paolo Guerrero (4 goals)and supposedly also Jerome Boateng. Hamburg started really well in the league, owned Stuttgart, Köln (no big surprise) and Wolfsburg!! I'll still bet on Hamburg, the difference between german and austrian football is amazingly huge! Rapid-Hamburg 0-2 (2) Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien: Espanyol and Xerez got beaten by Bilbao, had a perfect start in the league. 2005 Austria Wien already played against Bilbao and shot them out of the tournament. Important: The 2005 Austria Wien team was supposedly one of the best they have ever had, so u cant compare that with the team nowadays. Just one player of 2005 still plays for Austria Wien => goalie Schaffer. Austria Wien is third in the austrian league, played against the "TOP-Teams" austrias, with success. Austria Wien's captain Milenko Acimovic will miss, a great loss!! Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien 3-0 (1) Lazio Roma - Salzburg Salzburg sucks, had luck the last games (except against Haifa), Lazio will beat Salzburg easily. 2-0 (1)

Re: Europa League 17 September btw the matches bet in championsleague and euro-league are/were: Marseille - AC Milan 2 Olympique Lyon - AC Fiorentina 1 Inter Mailand - Barcelona X (yes im pretty happy :D) St. Lüttich - FC Arsenal 2 (lucky^) Olympique Lille - FC Valencia 2 Rapid Wien - Hamburger SV 2 CSKA Sofia - Fulham 1 FC Brügge - Sh. Donetsk 2 Benfica Lissabon - BATE Borisov 1 Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien 1

Hej guys im new to this forum. First of all,hey to everyone =) Im from Austria and therefore i'll try to give u some information for the matches today. Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien: Espanyol and Xerez got beaten by Bilbao, had a perfect start in the league. 2005 Austria Wien already played against Bilbao and shot them out of the tournament. Important: The 2005 Austria Wien team was supposedly one of the best they have ever had, so u cant compare that with the team nowadays. Just one player of 2005 still plays for Austria Wien => goalie Schaffer. Austria Wien is third in the austrian league, played against the "TOP-Teams" austrias, with success. Austria Wien's captain Milenko Acimovic will miss, a great loss!! Athletic Bilbao - Austria Wien 3-0 (1) Lazio Roma - Salzburg Salzburg sucks, had luck the last games (except against Haifa), Lazio will beat Salzburg easily. 2-0 (1)
Hello mate. "Bad news for Austria in this one, as they will have to do without some important players, like Okotie, Junuzovic and Baumgartlinger, along with influential captain Acimovic." Lazio is playing with some of the reserves.Dunno about Salzburg.;) GL

This reminds me of a good post here by NASTRO last season - it somehow doesn't make much sense how clubs from the major Euro Leagues are fighting all season to end up in top spot and secure a place in Europe just to find out come the UEFA Cup they start playing second-choice players in most games in the group phase. In my opinion : --- the money in this League will treble soon, so more Clubs will look at the competition far more serious; --- in the groups hardly any team from a major League fields the best team in most games. The case with the smaller countries is obvious - every point is more money to the limited clubs' budgets, every good performance is a chance to sell a good player to the Big Boys; --- the case with Clubs like Genoa or Everton or Anderlecht for example could be different - these Clubs are big enough and have a bench long enough in numbers and quality to go through the group stage and later in February sort their priorities as of their domestic League chances. On the Genoa example ( or recently Parma and Palermo ) - would you risk players like Crespo, Sculli and Flocarri together going to Baku or Grozny ( no offense)? All such teams need is a couple of points away and a couple of home wins to go through; --- the case with the German teams remains another mistery - they always seem to field the best of the best; --- with teams like Fenerbahce, Villareal, Benfica, Sporting, Shakhtar who belong more to CL it is clear - priority number 1 to them is a CL spot next year, still both their reserve and youth teams are very strong, they go to the knock-out stage with relative ease, Yet these clubs also got enough money to strenghten up in January for both CL ambitions and UEFA Cup. AC Milan and previously Bayern went far enough in UEFA, but with 50 % effort and commitment IMO - the League was by far more important. Just some thoughts, who by no means are compulsory - a couple of years ago Parma was close to the semis here with the reserve team, the first-choice players were fighting relegation battle... GL
I agree totally about how stupid it is for teams like Fulham to devalue this competition.A lot of Aston villa fans were raging at martin o'neill for putting out a reserve side last year effectively giving up the chance to win it in order to better their premiership position. I would have thought the fans of the likes of villa,everton ,spurs etc would love to win this rather than finish a place or 2 higher in the league(unless it was to break into the big 5). Am i right in thinking you need to play 25 games or so to win the europa this season?If so then that is absurd and that is why i think it will become a betting nightmare as the weeks go by.There is no way the likes of benfica,valencia etc will take this seriously when they will be pushing to win their own domestic leagues .

Okotie
true, he is injured for 2-3 weeks already,will miss several months...
Baumgartlinger
not such a big loss, played in austrian team vs. rum. but he is still young :)
Lazio is playing with some of the reserves.Dunno about Salzburg.;)
yepp true, but lazio will win i think. Just if salzburg shoots the first goal, this match is going to be interesting ;)

I agree totally about how stupid it is for teams like Fulham to devalue this competition.
Don't agree with that. Premier is more important for them. They earn about 50kk euro from just staying there. They are just pragmatic. Sad but true. My 2 cents.

Re: Europa League 17 September line-up for Austria Wien - Bilbao Athletic Bilbao: Iraizoz - Iraola, Ocio, Amorebieta, Castillo - Susaeta, Gurpegi, Gabilondo, Muniain - Toquero, Llorente. J. Martinez, De Marcos (not allowed to play), Orbaiz, Munoz, Diaz de Cerio, Yeste (all 4 Injured) Austria Wien: Safar - Standfest, Bak, Ortlechner, Suttner - Klein, Vorisek, Dragovic, E. Sulimani - Jun, Diabang. Baumgartlinger (not allowed to play), Okotie, Junuzovic, Hattenberger, Acimovic (all 4 injured) Lazio: Muslera - Lichtsteiner, Diakite, Cribari, Radu - Dabo, Baronio, Mauri - Foggia/Meghni - Cruz, Zarate backup: Bizzarri - Siviglia, Bonetto, Stendardo, Eliseu, Del Nero, S. Inzaghi Kolarov (not allowed to play), Rocchi, Brocchi, Scaloni, Makinwa (injured), Salzburg: Gustafsson (very good goal-keeper!!) - Schwegler, Sekagya, Afolabi, Ulmer - Leitgeb, Pokrivac - Tchoyi, Zickler, Svento - Janko Missing for the match: Pitak, Ngwat-Mahop, Jezek, Rakic, Ilsanker, Aufhauser, Ilic, Boussaidi, Traoui Lazio doesn't really care about this tournament, rather focus on seria A... Still...Lazio should win, but i won't bet on that one

Re: Europa League 17 September 4 romanian teams involved in today's Europa league: The first game to kick off is Ajax - Poli Timisoara.Timisoara made a name for themselfs in this start of the season by kicking out Sahtior,but they played very defensive football in both games (understandble tactic as it would of made no sense to go and play a strong offensive style against a for more superior team like Sahtior).They tryed the same approach with Stuttgart but our luck was out in that game :lol . Ajax play some really nice football,I saw the weekend trashing of Breda and I'm really concerned that we don't lose by a great margin.Poli doesn't have a great European squad,a good team yes...but now the club president asked that they play more open football and also commented that for Poli any european match is usefull in the sense that they gain further experience. The new coach is a little below the teams standards and hopes,and sometimes makes some very strange decisions. A clear Ajax win in my view...Timisoara's hopes for points lie in there home games Good luck

Re: Europa League 17 September the other 3 teams are a little more difficult to say: Dinamo face Sturm away but all I can say is that Dinamo has the quality to came home with all 3 points,but no one knows,not even the coach how the players came out on the pitch...highly motived and playng dazzling football like they did in the return leg with Slovan Liberec,our sudanese league quality football...Waiting on the our austrian friends on the forum to give me a little more on Sturm.

Re: Europa League 17 September Steaua seem to have an easy task against Seriff Tirraspol,but they are playing without supporters due to a UEFA ban,and Tiraspol could fustrate them for some time,even so I think the difference in quality should steer the bucharest outfit to a victory...

Waiting on the our austrian friends on the forum to give me a little more on Sturm.
Well Sturm Graz is pretty strong this season, got young, talented, ambitious players from their own academy!! Last weekend i bet Sturm Graz against LASK Linz..Sturm led 3-0, result : 3-3 against week LASK Linz. I honestly have to tell you, that Sturm normally is pretty strong at home, got after Rapid Wien the strongest and loudest supporters! It's going to be a full house. Dinamo has a very good defense, an italian coach and therefore i would say their defense is more than solid, even tho they lost their last match against Otelul Galati 0-1!! This year Sturm Graz have a quite good statistic in the EU-matches...4 wins and 2 draws!they kicked Siroki Brijeg, FK Petrovac und Metalist Charkiw out of the tournament. To be honest with u, Sturm is on fire, but i wouldn't bet too much on this match. I say a draw... 0-0 or 1-1 Sturm: Gratzei - Sonnleitner, Feldhofer, Schildenfeld, Kandelaki - Hölzl, M. Weber, Hlinka, Jantscher - Beichler, Muratovic Won't play for sure: Kienzl, Haas, Lamotte (all injured) => Haas is and always was a really good footballplayer, and Lamotte aswell. Both important players, but not "too important" Hölzl, Jantscher and Beichler are 3 young austrians, very strong and TOP! Dinamo: Dolha - Molinero, Tamas, Moti, Pulhac - Zicu, N'Doye, Bostina, Torje - Niculea, Niculescu Trainer of Sturm Graz said something like that: "Ofc we wanna win, but a draw would be okay aswell, but we have chances of over 50% to win" Sturm Graz is second in the league, has 1 point lesser than leader RB Salzburg, but also 1 match lesser...will be against Rapid Wien in few days :) Sturm, as i already said, i quite strong at home and the thing with our austrian teams is, that they take the competition absolutely serious!! hope i could help,if u have questions, just ask =)

Re: Europa League 17 September Panathinaikos v Galatasaray Galatasaray are a very good and interesting team. Dont pay too much attention to the amount of goals they have scored against weaker opposition, they have not gelled as a team...far from it actually. On last game, their first half was an absolute shocker. Rijkaard sent on kewell and Nonda in the second half and both got goals to seal the victory 2-0 but everyone kept focusing on just how bad Gala played in the first half. For all the money they have spent they still cannot unlock defensive teams with the ease that they should considering the amoutn of money and talent they have - Keita, kewell, Nonda, Baros, Turan etc. On the other hand Pana has spend alot of many as well but the results are yet to see. It will take a while before things start rolling for Pana. No doubt we have quality players but we are not a solid team yet. Galata play a traditional 4-2-3-1 in the same mould of Pana coach HenTen Cate- no suprises there considering both worked on such a formula in Barca, and Keita was bought specifically because Frank didnt think Kewell would be up to it for the whole season. Galata still have troubles in their defence, although they have bought a turkish CB to try and fix the mess at the back - they are just as weak at the back as we are. Panathinaikos will need Spyropoulos and Leto to have a strong game. If Spyropoulos is isolated then they will stream down our left hand side and do a Sparta Prague 3-1 on us. But if Leto and Spyropoulo can work well then I am certain that we will have no trouble on the game. Tonights match will find the teams looking mostly to secure defense rather then go ahead to score. But I am almost sure that we wont see many goals tonight, this game will be a boring 0-0 or 1-1 , both teams will be happy with the one point.

Re: Europa League 17 September Villa fans have every right to be upset LAST SEASON but since the club was already short on players beginning of the season being knocked out of the Europa is a blessing in disguise as most Villa fans would agree. The club does not have the capacity to endure 4 competitions, the EPL, FA Cup, League Cup and Europa. But as mentioned before a lot of teams just feel this is a good opportunity for the youngsters to prove something, however, clubs from more remote area's where they do not get enough exposure will surely take this chance more seriously as it just brings in more revenue.

no problem :) What do you guys think about those matches: Heerenveen - Lissabon CSKA Sofia - FC Fulham Sparta Prag - PSV Eindhoven I think: Heerenveen - Lissabon (2) CSKA Sofia - FC Fulham (1) Sparta Prag - PSV Eindhoven (X)
I would stay away from the first match,Heerenveen have new coach,and Sportin aren't all that impressive Like the bulgarian team too but I don't have a lot of info about them,so.. How is Austria playing,are they incapable of causing a surprise at Bilbao?

tempeted by TSKA but really don't know much about the team' date='and the way they play...domestic form doesn't seem to do much help in european competitions too...[/quote'] Let me draw you a picture. :lol
All player of CSKA are currently fit and motivated.No suspended players ATM too.CSKA showed against Dynamo Moscow that they can close the game and leave very few chances to the opponent.And it's very doubtful that Fulham will practice attacking style. It won't be an easy game for CSKA Sofia as Fulham's reserve side still consists of good players. Bottom line. CSKA(Sofia) - Fulham Home Win or Home Win +0 AH Half-time Draw Under 2.5 :hope GL

I would stay away from the first match' date='Heerenveen have new coach,and Sportin aren't all that impressive[/quote'] oh oky thanks, will risc a bit on that one i guess :) to be honest, i personally think that bilbao will shoot austria wien 2-o/3-0 away. I might be wrong, but Austria Wien doesnt has that many chances, especially not in an away match vs Bilbao...At home maybe a draw, if Austria Wien has a good day. I bet on bilbao :)

I am suprised no-one mentioned Shakhtar Donetsk away to Club Brugge ??? Shakhtar are a way way better team than club brugge, and the odds are very tasty @2.00 with paddy power. Shakhtar thrashed sivasspor away 3:0 and they also beat them at home 3:1 if my memory is good, who in my opinion would be regarded a better team than club brugge,especially knowing that its quite hard to get positive results in the Turkish soil. Then they had the UEFA super cup against Barcelona, and the game had to go on extra time, and almost to penalties only for the classy pass by Messy to Pedro who scored the winner. In the Ukrainen league, they have played 3 games at home and have recorde 3 wins, and away from home they recorded one win and one draw. Club Brugge to me is just an average team, not to the standards of Shakhtar, they played on sunday at home agianst Genk, and only managed a 1:1 draw. I personally dont have any team news yet, maybe MAHNO have any team team news for Shakhtar. Reminder: Shakhtar are the winners of the Euro Cup for 2008/2009, and as far as i know, they kept all their main players, like the 5 Brazilians: Fernandinho (Med), Jadson (Med), Ilsinho (Med), Luiz Adriano (Att), and Willian (Med), only their main central defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy went to Barcelona. They will be going for a double this year, since they got disqualified from the champions league on a very early stage. Prediction: 3:0 to Shakhtar :hope
Don't look at the 1-1 against Genk, we had many chances to score and deserved a penalty. Our best midfielder, Dirar, didn't play and he create 4-5 chances on his own. Over 2.5 would be better. 3-0 = :dude

Anyone else liking Gala away at Pana? It's looking like a very sexy price' date= to be honest.
İt will be a very interesting game tonight. Rijkaard and his old assistant Henk Ten Kate meet in this match. Pana have a good squad ( Cisse, Gilberto silva , karagounnins , simao) Gs have also a very creative players like Arda , Elano , Keita , Baros ... ) i think both teams will find the net so over 2.5 is good idea. and the other option is Pana win the game its a very sexy price

I would stay away from the first match,Heerenveen have new coach,and Sportin aren't all that impressive Like the bulgarian team too but I don't have a lot of info about them,so.. How is Austria playing,are they incapable of causing a surprise at Bilbao?
Heerenveen is one of the worst teams in Eredivisie (5 loss 1 win, sitting on place 16) now. Sporting really have to suck suck suck to be beaten by heerenveen, who are one of the worst teams in the netherlands now. Tho u cant rule out the draw.