boxing betting thread

Re: boxing betting thread Not touching tonight's Prizefighter with a barge-pole...no idea what way Uncle Barry wants to go with this. To win outright: Audley Harrison 13/10 (Extrabet) Danny Williams 7/4 (Betfred) Scott Gammer 8/1 (Bet365/Ladbrokes/Sky Bet/VCBet) Coleman Barrett 20/1 (Blue Square/VCBet) Danny Hughes 28/1 (Blue Square) Scott Belshaw 33/1 (general) Carl Baker 40/1 (general) Neil Perkins 40/1 (general) Match-odds: * Scott Gammer 4/9 vs. 9/4 Coleman Barrett * Danny Williams 1/8 vs. Carl Baker 6/1 * Audley Harrison 1/6 vs. Scott Belshaw 9/2 * Danny Perkins 4/7 vs. Neil Hughes 6/4 http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,13841_5596952,00.html EDIT: What Bettingzone think... http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/09/10/01/manual_100014.html

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: boxing betting thread I'm having a nibble on Harrison, outright. I read a post on eastside a few months back before this was announced where someone said that if you put a headguard on Harrison and put him in a 3 round contest he's probably still the best heavyweight in the UK. I agree with this in a big way, IMHO all of Audleys problems stem from the fact that he doesn't believe he can do 12 hard rounds. That results in him just retreating into his shell, as he doesn't have the chin or the punch to take people out early. If he had the stamina he'd be a different proposition entirely over 12 rounds. Anyway, spotted some massive value in Harrison's first fight - He's evens with paddypower to win by points or decision. That's astounding. I'm on that. Also taken him at small stakes to win the whole thing.

Re: boxing betting thread

I'm having a nibble on Harrison, outright. I read a post on eastside a few months back before this was announced where someone said that if you put a headguard on Harrison and put him in a 3 round contest he's probably still the best heavyweight in the UK. I agree with this in a big way, IMHO all of Audleys problems stem from the fact that he doesn't believe he can do 12 hard rounds. That results in him just retreating into his shell, as he doesn't have the chin or the punch to take people out early. If he had the stamina he'd be a different proposition entirely over 12 rounds. Anyway, spotted some massive value in Harrison's first fight - He's evens with paddypower to win by points or decision. That's astounding. I'm on that. Also taken him at small stakes to win the whole thing.
2.20 at Betfred now :ok

Re: boxing betting thread Had a small bet on Coleman Barrett outright at 16/1 a little while ago and a bigger bet on him to beat Scott Gammer in the opening bout of the night at just over 2/1. Stamina could come into play for a few of these but fighting 1st in each round, Barrett will have maximum rest which could be key. He's young and hungry and his half of the draw looks pretty nice. Gammer's lost 4 of his last 5 fights so I'll take the hungrier and more confident, unbeaten fighter to take the opening contest of the night.

Best 3 rounds I've seen for ages. I was cheering like a loon for baker:loon:loon Your man Barret got lucky there kev. I thought Gammer took that fairly comfortably.
I thought Barrett nicked it on workrate mate. Gammer didn't do enough for me. Powderpuff stuff from Barrett but he looked the harder working. Couldn't have argued if it had gone the other way though. Williams going out has opened his draw right up which I thought could happen. Cracking night of boxing so far.

David Tua absolutely murdered Shane Cameron in 2. Beautiful stuff. He's back and looked fkn awesome.
Great stuff. Not much better better sights in sport than the Tuaman in full flow. OK, only Cameron, but crowd-pleasing and puts him back in the heavyweight big picture. Aussie, Kali Meehan already thrown his hat into the ring. Would make sense, with Tua promising his next fight in NZ to reward his fans. Meehan's number 3 ranking with the WBA a massive incentive for Tua, to mix in with the obvious NZ/OZ rivalry....not to mention the South Sea Islander angle! Both bangers, but Meehan has a dodgy chin and that's being polite. Another option is the WBO route, where surely Tua will get a top 6/7 ranking now, after demolishing their number 7. A Sam Peter match would be another cracker, with the publicity to match.

Re: boxing betting thread just done a huge write up on gamboa and lopez and the b8stard wouldnt post. fckit heres the gist of it. both superstars of the future, being showcased by the american paymasters at the reverential home of boxing. gone are the days of top prices on gamboa, since he's entered the mainstream. garcia is the scrificial lamb for gamboa to feast on. Has a 3 second ! ko by valero on his record, not to mention two other quick losses. lopez a monster inside the ropes. His under set at 7.5, his murderous mitts should bring a ref intervention by the 7th at the least. will be following gamboa, so won't want to be outshone by gamboa's earlier power show. the double pay 1.97 @ b365. 15% return at bwin for gamboa U9, but you'd be lucky to get a ton down.

Re: boxing betting thread Nathan Cleverly v Courntney Fry Since winning the Commonwealth title against Oakey has stopped all 4 of his opponents pretty easily. This will be his toughest defence since the Oakey win. Fry was a top notch amateur and knows how to handle himself in the ring, having 2 losses on his pro record - 1 in a prizefighter slugfest over 3 rounds to Oakey and once on points against Orvil McKenzie - who is in some way slightly under rated despite his record. I dont see Cleverly as a particularly concussive puncher despite a good uppercut and he tends to grind his opponents down. The risk is he seems to have grown into himself a little lately and could indeed punch harder than I believe. He was good in his last win over the brave McIntosh but basically was far too good and outclassed him, with McIntoshes heart taking him as far as he did. I see an evenish start with Cleverly taking over during the course of the bout but see Frys amateur pedigree keeping him out of trouble for a while and his chin seems solid enough early doors judging by the Oakey brawl. I see Cleverly winning by points or late stoppage and the best value I see is over 7.5 rounds with Skybet. Recommended bet 60 points over 7.5 2/3 with Skybet

just done a huge write up on gamboa and lopez and the b8stard wouldnt post. fckit heres the gist of it. both superstars of the future, being showcased by the american paymasters at the reverential home of boxing. gone are the days of top prices on gamboa, since he's entered the mainstream. garcia is the scrificial lamb for gamboa to feast on. Has a 3 second ! ko by valero on his record, not to mention two other quick losses. lopez a monster inside the ropes. His under set at 7.5, his murderous mitts should bring a ref intervention by the 7th at the least. will be following gamboa, so won't want to be outshone by gamboa's earlier power show. the double pay 1.97 @ b365. 15% return at bwin for gamboa U9, but you'd be lucky to get a ton down.
Agree with that totally, although I won't be betting on it myself. Loads of action tonight. Cleverly/Fry domestically. Gamboa, Lopez and Vasquez in action in the states (not to mention Solis V Barrett), Boytsov in action in Germany and Linares over in Japan.

Re: boxing betting thread nice post GH. Completely agree neither will want to look bad with a future potential showdown looming, neither has any fear and want to fight the best so its quite possible down the the line. Like both fighters but Juanma looks quite special. Solis should also take care of Barrett via ko if his rep is anything to go by though at times can look lacklustre but having said that I get the impression that Barrett fights for cash now and his chin aint what it was......maybe more later - Id go for the treble but I know one will let me down no doubt!!!

Nathan Cleverly v Courntney Fry Since winning the Commonwealth title against Oakey has stopped all 4 of his opponents pretty easily. This will be his toughest defence since the Oakey win. Fry was a top notch amateur and knows how to handle himself in the ring, having 2 losses on his pro record - 1 in a prizefighter slugfest over 3 rounds to Oakey and once on points against Orvil McKenzie - who is in some way slightly under rated despite his record. I dont see Cleverly as a particularly concussive puncher despite a good uppercut and he tends to grind his opponents down. The risk is he seems to have grown into himself a little lately and could indeed punch harder than I believe. He was good in his last win over the brave McIntosh but basically was far too good and outclassed him, with McIntoshes heart taking him as far as he did. I see an evenish start with Cleverly taking over during the course of the bout but see Frys amateur pedigree keeping him out of trouble for a while and his chin seems solid enough early doors judging by the Oakey brawl. I see Cleverly winning by points or late stoppage and the best value I see is over 7.5 rounds with Skybet. Recommended bet 60 points over 7.5 2/3 with Skybet
Nice one foo. :dude Cleverley coming along nicely. Time to step up soon, once his uni' obligations are out of the way. I see Solis has come 9 lbs over his last weight for crying out loud. Does'nt this guy realise the HW scene is there, waiting to be gatecrashed? He's crying out to be opposed sometime soon, but monte probably not the fella to do it. He's come in 8 lbs less than for the Haye fight though. too idle nowadays added to the behometh that is the Cuban and a dull affair beckons. What a shocker in Japan, as Linares is blasted out in one round! Bookies are reckoned to be the enemy, but imo can be your best mate too. Linares at anything around 1.25 would have been snapped up, as opposed to the unbackable 1/25 he was.

Re: boxing betting thread Cheers Gh, some pretty shaky moments but he pulled through - just:) Cleverly looks real good when he boxes properly ie behing a top notch jab but I think the comments of lasck of power in his career kind of hurt him and wishes to show that he can ounce but the this negates his main strength as when he focuses he can be a beautiful boxer with a snapping jab. Theres a bid of Froch cockiness about the guy and I genuinely believe it would do him good to be put on his ass - evn beaten. Re Solis - what is that chunk playing at? Considered trebling him up with lopez and gamboa but not now at that weight I cant trust him without some sort of effort, he looked like a jellybean ffs!

Re: boxing betting thread A bit late but no Duddy U/O offered anywhere. Gamboa does his bit, but Juanma has to 'go to the well' in a FOTY candidate. Could have been arbed live though. A few herbets writing off Lopez already. Fickle ain't the word. On to the Super6...Jeez i have'nt been this excited about a tv event since the pilot show of Baywatch. :tongue2 I'll post up my results since signing to PL if thats alright with you foo. You're setting the pace with a top thread.

A bit late but no Duddy U/O offered anywhere. Gamboa does his bit, but Juanma has to 'go to the well' in a FOTY candidate. Could have been arbed live though. A few herbets writing off Lopez already. Fickle ain't the word. On to the Super6...Jeez i have'nt been this excited about a tv event since the pilot show of Baywatch. :tongue2 I'll post up my results since signing to PL if thats alright with you foo. You're setting the pace with a top thread.
Are you at the Froch fight and if so, have you got your tickets yet? I rang today and they said they are sending them today but there are threats of postal strikes etc so I'm worrying that they won't be here by Saturday. I'm also waiting on Editors tickets for same night and they got sent last Monday but still haven't arrived. :wall

Re: boxing betting thread Won't be at this one. A couple of mates have tickets, don;t know what avenue thay took to get 'em though. Watching Frochy and the King Arthur fight at a mates with a few others. Saving up for The Cobra v Kessler in Copenhagen next year. :notworthy

Re: boxing betting thread Loads of decent foghts this weekend - hope I dont get too selective but dunno if Im gonna have time to do anything write up wise so apologies now if anythings too short. Gh - where you getting the fights on? - I see no listings - stream maybe? As for your results mate yeah no probs, post up! Always interesting too see another perspective.......As I say I believe Im a little too selective at times, would be interesting.

Re: boxing betting thread Thanks for that Kevshat - I didnt know:$ but did find it strange when I thought it hadnt been picked up - with both should be value for money. So whose anybodys fancy? Cant call it myself but if it was over a short time I would prob lay both Froch and Kessler and for how long it lasts is why I wont be having a punt. I do believe though it couldve been worth a small tickle on Ward and Dirrell at 10s and 14s. If I had to pick one I guess it would be Abraham but without any confidence whatsoever - I really do believe it is that open and will hopefully run its course with no hiccups or issues. All the above will make no sense though if I choose to opost what I am considering backing this weekend:loon