** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

boxing betting thread

there seems to be a bit of interest in boxing here at times but more so on the larger events... i intend to have a little thread for myself to monitor some boxing action so here goes.... i am going to start a betting account for myself in the hope of raising others interest for a boxing thread and to see if i know as much as i think i do at times:lol what i am going to do is see if i can double my 1k by the new year..... i will start with a bank of £1000 and hopefully hit 2k by new year (or more likely go busto) but im up for a challenge:tongue2 if anyone has any suggestions or wishes to contribute in any way please do so...also feel free to post your own selections personally i will select my own selections and place the bets accordingly with the max bet being a maximum of 10% of my roll whilst running a profit and loss account on the whole i will be posting why i have backed my selections but i also want to keep it kind of fun and will be having a bet most weekends - if not every...but i do wish to keep it kind of sensible within my bankroll! just want to state this is not a tipster thread its just my own personal views..... so here goes..................gl me:hope:ok starting bank - £1000

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: boxing betting thread Sounds very intresting and i for one, will be keeping an eye on this thread, will be good to see peoples opinions and thoughts. Boxing is not always as predictable, as i am sure a lot of punters know. Yes a very nice little challenge thread.

Re: boxing betting thread

Starting with a Rogan KO tomorrow?!
not a bad bet imo at 4/6 if it goes the way it should but im a little wary... i looked at a lot of markets on this fight and i just cant put my finger on it...i think rogan will win by mid/late stoppage but i also thought sexton was good value at 5s (now in to 9/2) over/under was tricky as well as sexton having never been past 6 is an unknown quantity and rogan always looks shattered but always fids something but then again it could turn into a grabathon:\ so for the above reasons i cant find a bet that suits though the fight does intrigue me. other fights over the weekend i am particularly interested in and hope to watch somehow are johnson (KJ) v vargas (DV) and ward v miranda i will post about the latter tomorrow but in the meantime im looking at an over/under bet KJ v DV and the only market i can find is 4/11 over 9.5.....not sure if i want to play this but would be interested if anyone saw anything else...for anyone interested in a win single on this their is a decent price range, so whichever fighter you fancy you should get decent odds on - i will maybe bring this back up tomorrow minime......nice thoughts would be interesting if you posted your selections i also looked at the hoffman fight and think its a fight he should win but botha can/used to be pretty cute and could maybe deal with a methodical hoffman plus he also came in 16.5 lbs lighter than his last fight so he looks to be making an effort and taking it serious (dont forget he lost his big payday when D Williams got beat) he may just have this in him and at 7/2 would normally be good value ....but not something im going to chance.....not in Germany anyway

Re: boxing betting thread Well that's just gone straight in at number one in the list of strangest fights I've ever seen in my life :lol:lol. I seriously can't remember ever seeing a fighter stop when his opponent was ready to be finished like that :loon.

Well that's just gone straight in at number one in the list of strangest fights I've ever seen in my life :lol:lol. I seriously can't remember ever seeing a fighter stop when his opponent was ready to be finished like that :loon.
What happened, I forgot al about it and just switched it on as they were whosing a replay of Rogan stood t the ropes, finished.

What happened' date=' I forgot al about it and just switched it on as they were whosing a replay of Rogan stood t the ropes, finished.[/quote'] Rogan was behind going into the 8th, had been hurt in 2 rounds before that and had an eye swell up so bad it was as good as closed. Then he came out and nailed Sexton twice, hit him a 3rd time and Sexton was all over the shop and one more punch would've sent him packing but instead of hitting him Rogan stood in front of him with his hands down looking at him so Sexton hit him with 3 shots and 20 seconds later it was stopped because of Rogan's eye :lol. Hard to explain but if you can see the 8th round on youtube you won't believe what you see mate :ok

What happened' date=' I forgot al about it and just switched it on as they were whosing a replay of Rogan stood t the ropes, finished.[/quote'] Sexton boxed well, probably well ahead on the scorecards, Rogan massive welt under left eye, somehow comes back and just about KOs Sexton with one eye. Has him done, Sexton stands there with his hands down, shaking his head and Rogan won't punch him! Sexton tagged a couple more times, looks ready to go and then the ref takes Rogan to the Doc and it's all over due to the eye! Biggest bruise (not cut) I've ever seen..

Re: boxing betting thread Had Rogan KO at 1.50 so a bit annoyed but that was a nasty eye. Said to my housemates was gonna get stopped, but then Sexton was on his last legs and ready to go That's boxing though, was a bad eye

Re: boxing betting thread quick update on wht i talked about last night...... when will i learn to go with my heart in the face of value?!? i thought sexton was massively overpriced but wasnt sureat all - in fact still thought rogan would have enough for him and from what ive seen nearly did but i have yet to watch the fight ( i got called away as that rapper (wtf) was doing his thing) so aint seen the fight but rogans eye was a real mess from what ive seen. I did get chance to watch botha v hoffman though and it went quite as expected - a lot of clinching and a messy fight but botha looke d too cute and took a close but fair decision in my eyes after having hoffman in all sorts of trouble in the last 2 rounds but i simply didnt trust the german scoring but they got it right and gave botha the nod on a splitdecision.....so that was 2 low stakes decent prices missed:$ on a plus note i was looking at over/under markets with johnson v vargas but wasnt particularly with the price in a fight i thought was likely to go the distance (seemed a common assumption) as it turned out johnson pinged him and kayod him in the 6th - so money saved there:loon didnt play any of them but thought it was worth the update.... ok views on ward v miranda to follow......................

Re: boxing betting thread Andre Ward v Edison Miranda Ward won 18 (KO 12) + lost 0 (KO 0) Miranda won 32 (KO 28) + lost 3 (KO 2) I have been a long time fan of EM and he is one of my fave boxers so I hope this doesnt cloud my view, for the record I also quite like AW. EM is an absolute beast though in my opinion, is brash and outspoken but has serious punching power. Ward on the other hand is a very humble guy, a family man and the way he talks about fighting reflects this. In the build up to this Ward has been talking himself as the underdog (hes 1/3) and Miranda predicting the usual ko. I dont want to look too much into this but it seems Ward has a few reservations in what is a pretty big leap in class but he was willing to take the fight so I assume he thinks its a fight he can win. I wouldnt say Ward (an Olympic gold medalist ahs been brought on that slowly (certainly in comparison in the way us Brits watch Frank Warren fighters come along) but he has come in for criticism for the level of opponents he has faced. Ward is good though - hes slick, quick and can finish when he has an opponent hurt. Miranda on the other hand, althoough he has improved his boxing over time is not that - he is simply very powerful!! His 3 defeats came against middleweight champions once against kelly pavlik (undefeated at the time, before he was schooled by Hopkins) in which he pretty much folded and was ko'd in 7 and twice against the undefeated Arthur Abraham - the 1st of which he was effectively robbed of the middleweight crown when Abraham quit only to continue after much controversy due to his jaw being literally smashed to pieces

(only clip i could find but he clearly states he doesnt want to continue but then realises he will lose his title) big balls to carry on but miranda being the dirty sod he is ended up having 4 or 5 points deducted and was never going to get the decision....in the rematch at a catchweight miranda was again outclassed and kayoed:\ As mentioned before Miranda has some serious power knocking out substandard opponents in the 1st round for his first 15/20 fights and this is basically the undertone for my bet. For evidence on his sheer power check him busting Willie Gibbs' knee with a ko http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_0fT0MXNsQ or his sensational ko of the incredibly cocky and arrogant david banks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HM4mps2QD8. He wass also the the 1st and only person to stop Howard Eastman who had challenged for the title 3 times but may have regressed since. Miranda has not always needed the ko - he beat the much respected Allan Greene (a fighter who i believed could be the next big thing) by UD although it must be added Greene claime to be ill at the time and had has since had 80% of his colon removed, so there is some substance to that, though he was decked in this fight. With the above considered and Ward being what I consieder vulnerable Im going to take a chance on a Miranda win. Ward was hurt badly in only his 2nd fight against Kenny Kosy ( a guy who is w4l3 in his last 7) and decked by the even less spectaculr Darnell Boone although on both occasions he came back to win handily. In the fight I expect Ward to dance and slip (despite him saying hes going to surprise EM by standing in front of him - which I seriously dont recommend) but I doubt he will never have been hit as hard in his life!! - this guy will hit 5 times as hard as Darnell Boone but maybe that was a lucky shot! Ive looked at this fight all week and my opinion is still the same - a Miranda win!!! Sure Ward could box his socks off and win a wide UD but due to the power of Mirands and what appears to be Wards fraginess Im willing to go on the upset - even if Ward in his prefight comments doesnt think this. Now to the bet and stake.......:wall
Edison Miranda by KO TKO or Disqualification19/5
at bet365 looks tempting as I believe the way Miranda wins this is by a knockout - but I think I am going to play safe as Ward has some good pedigree and decent recovery skills/abilities and if in trouble may know how to survive so a simple win at 5/2 at Boyles seems reasonable to me. As i say its a bit of a chancer as if Niranda starts to get outboxed he may start winging punches in and Ward may simply pick him off. On a purely statistical point of view Miranda since he was stepped up from his 1 round ko wins seems to weigh up people before detonating those bombs. In his last 5 fights he has won two in round 3 and two in round 5 with the defeat to Abraham being the other. IM looking for a Miranda ko so am going to bump this in aswell for minimal stakes. In summay my personal bets and for the purpsose of this thread are..... 34 points Miranda bt Ward 5/2 Boyles 0.5 points stoppage for Miranda round 3 35/1 bet365 0.5 stoppage for miranda round 5 40/1 generally starting bank - 1000 new bank - 965 hope you all enjoy.....cmon Edison "Pantera" Miranda:hope:nana

Re: boxing betting thread ok I will take unlucky:tongue2 tbh it wasnt really as my big fears were blatantly seen....miranda was schooled and was beat half way through the fight. ward not only outboxed but was willing to rough it up to a degree on the inside.....good luck to andre ward he fought well and seems a very humble guy - he took a big step up and easily rose to the challenge - oh well -35 hopefully onwards and upwards:hope was going to have a look at the prizefighter for tonight but it looks a little tricky....and tbh i really dont know too much about the majority of them and would be basing predictions on records and what i have read - there is only dean francis who i have seen in action (or that i remember anyway)

Re: boxing betting thread Oliver McCall v John Hopoate

Oliver McCall won 51 (KO 36) + lost 9 (KO 1) + drawn 0

John Hopoate won 11 (KO 11) + lost 2 (KO 1) + drawn 0

This is not a fight I am particularly interested in but from a betting point of view looks a decent betting proposition. Oliver McCall at the grand old age of 44 is gearing himself for maybe one more title shot. Unlike many other aging heavyweights OM has kept himself in pretty good condition and as the saying goes the last thing to go is the punch.

Hopoate only started boxing late on and seems to have a bit of a punch himself (all wins via ko) though very little technical ability and seems to bulrush opponents – none of which have been a particularly high standard. His 2 defeats were a split decision loss and getting kayod in the 1st round by debuting fighter. Although JH seems to be taking this fight very seriously bringing good sparring partners such Kali Meehan and former champ Lamont Brewster, I don’t see him beating OM.

McCall has only lost twice since losing to Lennox Lewis 10 years ago. Sure OM is a bit of a character and not the most stable person in the world but feel the only way he can get beat is if he actually beats himself. My only other slight concern is him not having fought for 18 months.

Although JHs ko record looks impressive these were not strong opponents, the best probably being when he won the Aussie title from Bob Mirovic (who after the bout stated that he had his hand or arm or something like that:eyes broken.)

However OM is known to have a granite jaw and can take a punch as well as anyone of recent times. His only stoppage loss was the one mentioned above by Lennox Lewis and in that he wasn’t knocked out – he simply refused to fight and started crying – like I say not the most stable guy in the world! He has decent pedigree having won the Golden Gloves once or twice and despite his advancing age still has good power.

If McCall is anywhere near like he was when he defeated contender Samil Sam 2 years ago then there really is no way he should lose this! I was browsing odds wondering if I was being ambitious hoping for 1/3 – ½ and was tempted by the 4/9 at bet365…..then I stumbled on 4/6 at PaddPower. To me this seems huge value – maybe the bookies know something I don’t (they usually do) but Im happy to go with the facts the way I see them which in essence is some over hyped ex rugby player, now novice boxer who has lost 2 of his 13 fights against minimal opposition whose best chance of winning is probably a ko from a big punch…..against a seasoned pro who has mixed it at the top of the heavyweight division for years. I think 4/6 is a huge price and for that reason I am going to have a max bet on this thread.

90 points McCall bt Hopoate at 4/6 PaddyPower

Starting Bank – 1000

New Bank - 875

Re: boxing betting thread Agree foo, 4/6 is a smashing price. The gulf in class, experience and skills between these two are immense. Added to McCall having an elite chin in any era you'd care to mention, makes this a must-play. Hopoate is more renowned for shoving fingers up players' jacksies when a NRL star. (Leon Pryce eat yer heart out) Hoppa was training for a re-match with Mirovic till this offer cropped up, giving him his biggest pay-day of his short pro career. In fairness to Hoppa, the mirovic fight was unusual in that both fighters suffered broken bones during the bout, with Big Bob a broken arm and Hoppa a busted hand. This is heavyweight boxing though, and the ex rugby league player has that slim "hail mary" chance in Vegas, but McCall handled prime Tyson in hundreds of rounds sparring, not to mention other big hitters, so his crude opponent should expect a lesson later. McCall has got shot of his demons that haunted much of his career, and fancies another crack and some decent money, in what is, a sad division. McCalls' son is having his 3rd pro fight on the same bill tonight, so i'd expect the 'old man' to produce the goods. Centrebet have a free 20 quid offer on this fight btw. Noticed on the Mundine/Geale bill that Sonny Bill Williams is down for his pro debut on the u/c. Is this for real?

Re: boxing betting thread One overseas firm reporting large chunks being laid on McCall. Hills held firm with their 4/7 for a good few hours but have gone into 2/5 now. Pretty sure 365's O/U 5.5 price has flip-flopped too. Both in shape..Come on the Atomic Bull!

Re: boxing betting thread Just saved myself a bit of embarrasment here. Was doing a little write up, checked boxrec for the records and seen that the fight was actually yesterday:lol Some good fights tonight. Anyone know if any bookies have fury/belshaw priced up? I can't find any. I was hoping with all the fuss around fury a bookie might have put stupidly short odds on him, making Belshaw value. but it doesn't look like it. Big, big night for fury tonight. We'll certainly know a lot more about his credentials after this one. Congrats to everyone on Mcall BTW:clap

Re: boxing betting thread nice win for mccall to put me in profit for the 1st time (though only 2 selections lol) not seen the fight, nor can i find it (if anyone knows a link would be appreciated) but as far as i can gather mcall decked him twice in the 2nd and the ref waved it off:)....4/6 into 1/2 whoop whoop:nana starting bank - 1000 new bank - 1025

Can't find anything for Fury. nor me but would be appreciated if anyone did they would post up:ok Are you gonna be doing a write up for Valuev Chaguev next week Paul? Has to be some value in that fight. i will be mate though i know what im going to do already, hopefully paul will as well as it would be interesting to compare analysis. paul....yes some nice fights tonight - particularly interested in barker and gonzales, may post some views ;ater if i get chance and im also ready to try and spot out value against fury - maybe not yet but i deffo think he may have his flaws - like turning your back on your opponent when you get hit!!!:eek

Re: boxing betting thread Nice one! Lets hope for some more outta line prices for Zab/Hatton! Surprised nothing listed for Fury seeing as it's on live tv. The sound of T-I-M-B-E-R only a matter of time imo, same with Price. Livened the domestic scene up though.