** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

boxing betting thread

Re: boxing betting thread A full-on write-up did'nt register so doing it this way..Pac has the speed and power to make anyone opposing him, either in the ring or at the bookies, look foolish. But, this is by far is toughest test to date, since ploughing through the weights. The only thing holding me back from lumping on cotto, is his stock has took a dive, since the Margorita beatdown. Don't agree about his heart giving in, in that bout, but his will was destroyed, probably in an illegal way to be honest. Took an horrendous beating, with a huge cut inside his mouth, also making his breathing a battle. Jennings as a comeback was a confidence builder, before a less than stellar performance v's clottey, who could have nabbed the win with a higher workrate in the last 2 rounds. Shown tremendous guts though, to fight for two thirds of the fight with a bad cut and blood seeping into the eye. Not the fearsome Cotto of old though.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: boxing betting thread A massive over-reaction to Pac's last 3 wins in his weight climbing crusade, make his price prohibitive. Will go down as one of the greats, but everything has been in his, and master manipulater Roaches favour in his climb to immortality. His LW title was wrenched from the weakest champion at the time, and probably one of the poorest post-war in the division. Dlh looked a pale shadow of the boxer he'd been, due to the weight contract he had to adhere to for the fight to go ahead. Ricky had been wobbled by the likes of Lascano, and was shipping shots for fun, even more than usual. Roach feels he has another damaged opponent in cotto, for his man to feast on, but Cotto is a step up from the other three, in that he's fighting at only 1 LB under his normal weight. Pac has'nt been hit, as yet, by a genuine bigger man. If cotto can revisit his glorious and destructive bodywork mode of old, something he's neglected in recent fights, than Pac's relunctance to body shots could have a bearing on the fight. Always like to chase a bit of value in these fight so Cotto 1-6 @ 9/1 and 7-12 @ 9/1 too big to ignore. gonna be a cracker. Both macho enough to deliver fireworks!!

Re: boxing betting thread If anyone is going to do a big write up it might be an idea to complete it in word first, log in and then copy and paste it into the thread. I know how annoying it is to lose a massive post, happened to me plenty of times with horse racing previews. At the moment I use firefox, it has happened again recently. I clicked back, logged in, clicked back again and the content of the post was still there. Click submit reply and your post should be saved. :ok I didn't see the Cotto V Clottey fight but want to have a look at it before any bets. Does anyone know if its on youtube or a boxing site? I've seen Pacquaios last few fights but not seen much of Cotto so hard for me to form an honest opinion and agree that Pac beat a poor De La Hoya that night that looked both weight drained and uninterested and a Hatton that looked like his lifestyle had caught up with him and was also made to pay for his lack of head movement. Staying up to watch it and kind of hope Pacquaio wins as I want to see him take on Floyd.

Re: boxing betting thread

Always like to chase a bit of value in these fight so Cotto 1-6 @ 9/1 and 7-12 @ 9/1 too big to ignore.
Brave bets. best of luck:clap No bet on this for me. I've been trying to find reasons to back Cotto, but haven't managed it. I like the guy a lot, but I just can't bring myself to back against Pacquiao right now.

Re: boxing betting thread cheers paul. not really brave at those odds though. I know it's a madhouse surrounding Manny for his fight nowadays, but his prep' has upset roach this time round. He's even playing a gig straight after the fight, playing an 8 song set. playing a double on the u/c at decent odds. yuri foreman pts & chavez junior ITd @ a tad under 5.50 b365. foreman's speciality is eking out decisions, as he has no power whatsoever. santos has the power, but has been inactive in recent times. arum is in foremans 'corner' so to speak, and he has a decent jewish following to capitalise on with a world title around his waist. cahvez has a padded record that shames his dads glorious career. unbeaten in 30, facing cans and no hopers. He faces another tonight, a 35 yr old retired for 4 years before coming back with 2 'wins' over club journeymen. Arum unashamedly has put chavez on co-headlin prior to the big one, for chavez to deliver a highlight reel stoppage. enjoy the night lads.

Re: boxing betting thread Hats off to Manny. Did a number on Cotto plain and simple. Awesome stuff. To be fair, my 'value' play was a non-starter, manny was that that good. More gutted by the waster that is chavez, who laboured to a dec, after foreman produced his usual dominant pts win.

Re: boxing betting thread Well I guess Im forced to eat my words with him again!!! Top display pretty much leaving Cotto without a chance. All credit to the Pacman Im done with the doubt about him now:) Unlucky with the Chavez end GH but good call with Foreman - I considered Santos but after being bitten by the Ndou fight I was way too wary of his rustiness and unwilling to oppose a fired up Foreman. Well the slump continues:(

Re: boxing betting thread Rendall Munroe v Simone Maludrottu This is a fight that I believe Munroe will win but I dont make hes as big a favourite as the bookies make him, tbh I think SM is overpriced at 5s but Im done with value bets when it goes against my instincts. Munroe is steady and slickish, both have good chins and Maladrottu is moving up in weight having gone the distance with some decent fighters. Looking at it the safest be for me is the over 9.5 rounds though giving yp the even money for Munroe to box his way to a decision. Im just a little reluctant to take on the seasoned Italian who has shared the ring with some good fighters and easily outpointing Napa a couple of years ago. Recommended bet 60 points over 9.5 1/2 with skybet

Rendall Munroe v Simone Maludrottu This is a fight that I believe Munroe will win but I dont make hes as big a favourite as the bookies make him, tbh I think SM is overpriced at 5s but Im done with value bets when it goes against my instincts. Munroe is steady and slickish, both have good chins and Maladrottu is moving up in weight having gone the distance with some decent fighters. Looking at it the safest be for me is the over 9.5 rounds though giving yp the even money for Munroe to box his way to a decision. Im just a little reluctant to take on the seasoned Italian who has shared the ring with some good fighters and easily outpointing Napa a couple of years ago. Recommended bet 60 points over 9.5 1/2 with skybet
Solid call Foo. Well done mate :clap.

Re: boxing betting thread Andre Ward v Mikel Kessler Bit of a rushed one this. Ward has done all that has been asked of him so far even though I did oppose him in my first bet in this thread. Against Miranda he looked very good but I cant help Miranda made him look that way with his wild swings but he looked totall flumoxed by Wards speed and although Ward is not known for his punching power he earned Mirandas respect in the first round with some solid shots, although you could argue that if he was truly world class he should have maybe stopped Miranda. Kessler is a decent favourite but in my eyes he can be a little mechanical though he is a good technician. He also seems incredibly confident in comparison to Ward but he also seemed a little tense in the build up to the Miranda fight - it just maybe the way he is. Ward is faster but he still seems a bit amateurish with the way he bounces around at times. There is no doubt Wards chin will be tested but despite my earlier reservations about it, he stood up to some flush shots in the big punching Miranda. With "home" advantage Im just hoping Ward can pull off the more eye catching combinations with the home crowd swaying the judges on the close rounds. Cant make a massively strong case but as is always the case with an undefeated fighter we only see his true level when he is beaten. With this in mind (and Ive not gone crazy here) I like a value play on Ward to box his way to a decision and Im hoping for a unanimous one at that! Recommended bet 20 points Ward bt Kessler by UD 9/1 skybet

Re: boxing betting thread don't know if you're aware, but sosona came in 2.5 lbs over the limit, so the title only up for hernandez to win. Might be the reason for no lines. Of all the fights, you'd want MD/SD props available, the erdei/fragomeni is one of them. Strange build up to this fight, and the weigh-in was bizarre with the love-in the two veterans afforded each other. There's respect, and there's over-friendliness. don't know what to make of it, abetted by erdei coming in at only a few pounds over his usual light-heavy weight. Would be all over Frag if any other venue than Germany, but the books have erdei an outlandish F in both SU and pts, which speaks volumes. Frag pts worth a stab @ 11/2, as unless there's a cut, this should go to the judges. Both not shy of distance fight, with 9 of erdei's last 12 going 12, and Frag a seasoned 12 rounder. Followed Frag since he fielded those continuous hellacious shots from Haye on his concrete head, before succumbing in the 9th. Think Erdei's promotors have set this up to get a portion of the cruisers, but prefer frag's odds. Hey foo, why not have a saver on ward SD? Would be a sickner if a ward pts win was'nt rewarded. I've took Ward MD @ 50/1. Controversy would'nt surprise tonight, since the hullabaloo over Dirrel's loss. GL.

Re: boxing betting thread I was looking for the Kessler fight and it's on that Primetime channel but it's £5.95. Starts at midnight and fight should be on about 3am. Do you think there will be any decent links online? I think Ward might do well to stay out of Kesslers way. Kessler can bang and I believe Ward has already been down a few times to lesser fighters. I don't see this going to the cards, I think Kessler will knock him out and get the job done. I had him as fav for this tournament from the beginning and I think he'll be shorter tonight after beating Ward but not betting on the tournament and having to wait for a payout. I'll take the 15-8 available for a Kessler KO, hard hands, great chin, good skills and should be too classy and powerful for Ward. I think the step up in class will tell. 10pts Kessler to win by KO/TKO 15-8 Paddypower

Re: boxing betting thread I will be at brentwood leisure center this saturday to see barker/elcock and i will be having a decent bet on barker to win inside the dstance at4/6 with boyle sports. I am not really sure that elcock should be in with darren barker,wayne looks shot to bits from where i am standing.Barker showed that he can handle the pressure when he boxed superbly against macdermott at a very partizan watford town hall. Barker will be trying to at least match matty macklins performance aginst elcock,although matty is now looking at the much bigger world picture at the moment. Maybe wayne can surprise us all here,never say never, bit i just can't see it myselfand it should be a decent fight night for £30,and it is virtually sold out,so the hall should be buzzing.

Off the radar and not til end of the month, but Darren Barker ITD over Elcock @ 4/6 worth snaffling. Might be some 4/5 around nearer the time, but boyles might end up as the standout, so getting on board early. Elcock damaged goods imo. Was mullered in 3 by Macklin last time out. The 35 year old has got this Brit' title shot in place of Macklin, who opted out of the Barker bout to go for the EBU title recently. Elcocks defeats usually come onside the distance, and the talented Barker will want to replicate Macklins finish, to show he's above domestic class. A solid showing here, and a shot at Macklins Euro title could be a huge go'er... Big big price. great minds ivor..gutted it's off!!

Re: boxing betting thread Roy Jones via pts available @ 5/6 for his trip to Oz in mid-week. The show piece event is right up Jones' street. It's is a huge Aussie event, and the two fighters have worked tirelessly to set it up. An international audience and a rugged but semi-retired opponent in Danny Green. Ideal for jones to showcase his flashy combo's and showmanship. The difference in class is vast, even given RJJ's decline in the elite stakes. might check out jones' late rds, in case the masterclass becomes an embarassment. Bute pts a strong fancy for the andrade rematch. His canadian backers outbid Golden Boy to snaffle home advantage for bute, and this is a vital advantage imo. Was out on his feet in the 12th in the first bout before shameful refereeing saved his bacon. Will pace himself better tonight. The double also pays 2.81. Was going to bump it with guzman for 3/1 (an under-rated gem when fully focused) but his inactivity steered me clear.

Bute issues a statement to the super6 with an unthinkable stoppage of the 'ard as nails' andrade. whilst boxing shoots itself in the foot again, with a blatantly corrupt decision in the guzman/funeka fight.:cry
Was the Bute V Andrade fight on a link or on TV. I watched the ITV4 coverage of Barker, that other kid looked out of his depth against him. Had to laugh at the other fight - Steven "Superbad" Barnes. Me and PaulM were talking about him at the Froch fight, interviewed previously before a fight saying his opponent wouldn't be able to handle his power, I think he has 1 win by KO, 2 by points and now a loss. :lol Supposedly a hard hitter in the gym but clearly can't transfer that to the ring.

Re: boxing betting thread only seen the bute stoppage on utube. barkers oppo' only came in late, and saved the show. fair play to the lad, he gave it a go. Barker/macklin has to happen, but it won't for a while yet, whilst they go their seperate ways chasing the bigger titles. Both with strong barmy armies.

Roy Jones via pts available @ 5/6 for his trip to Oz in mid-week. The show piece event is right up Jones' street. It's is a huge Aussie event, and the two fighters have worked tirelessly to set it up. An international audience and a rugged but semi-retired opponent in Danny Green. Ideal for jones to showcase his flashy combo's and showmanship. The difference in class is vast, even given RJJ's decline in the elite stakes. might check out jones' late rds, in case the masterclass becomes an embarassment
What on earth are Jones and Hopkins doing this week? :lol I'm with you on that bet mind, looks like it should go the full 12 and Jones shouldnt really have too much trouble in chalking up the win. Can only find 4/6 now but still looks like its worth taking. Small savers on 10,11 and 12 33's and 40's.

Re: boxing betting thread Prizefighter light-welterweights tonight...and I'm not talking about Sky Sports' motley crew! :lol They're all tipping David Barnes to win outright tonight. :\ http://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,15620_5743344,00.html Outright odds and match odds: Gavin Rees 11/4 (bet365/Boylesports/William Hill) Colin Lynes 7/2 (Betfred) David Barnes 6/1 (Sportingbet) Michael Grant 8/1 (Betfred/Stan James) Barrie Jones 10/1 (Sportingbet) Ted Bami 10/1 (bet365/Boylesports/Ladbrokes/Stan James) Jason Cook 12/1 (various) Young Mutley 20/1 (various) 21:05 Michael Grant 8/11 vs. Jason Cook (5/4) 21:20 Gavin Rees 1/2 vs. Ted Bami 2/1 21:35 Colin Lynes 8/13 vs. David Barnes 6/4 21:50 Barrie Jones 8/13 vs. Young Mutley 6/4