Spooner's all round racing

Re: Spooner's Thread Thanks Russ, hope so. I suppose everyone finds it tough at some stage and of course when you are on a bad run the race looks more difficult to solve, or you opted for the wrong one etc. Just need a winner to get my confidence back I think. 8 picks without one.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Spooner's Thread Sandown 17:10 - Brouhaha (Each-Way) @ 8/1 Betfred Tom Dascombe's runner was well beat on heavy ground LTO which clearly did not suit and perhaps his best form has come on the all-weather but I like his chances here, a very consistent horse in this company and has come back down to a more competitive mark, should not be to any problems with the 9f trip, has won four times on the Wolverhampton nice furlongs which is 100 yards further. The stable are finding winners again and he should go well in the last.

Re: Spooner's Thread Cheers Glaze, Brouhaha 2nd. Newcastle 20:30 - Waterloo Corner (Each-Way) @ 18/1 Paddy Power (bog) Pretty poor race here to finish the card at Newcastle but Waterloo Corner at the age of seven is the oldest horse in the race, he has been easily beaten in most recent starts but has ran well over the 10f trip a few times in his career, goes well on good/firm ground and at least back on a winning mark, jockey has gone close on this horse before and i'll select each-way.

Re: Spooner's Thread Newbury 15:10 - Tariq (Each-Way) @ 18/1 Coral I worte this two runs ago: 'Think this horse is more than capable of running well here and for me is a cracking bet at 25/1, he was well beaten in the Sussex Stakes LTO but he has some solid form in the bag, 3rd in this race last year and did not get the clearest of runs, he won 3 races in a row back in the summer of '07 before heading to a hot race at Longchamp when 5th of 13, has twice ran on soft ground, firstly on debut at Newmarket when winning and the other being that race at Longchamp so he should handle the ground alright, has never won over the 8f trip but we know the trip is fine as he was 3rd in this race last year as mentioned, Peter Chapple-Hyam's stable may just be hitting some form with two winners in last two days, the ever reliable Jamie Spencer is on board and I fancy Tariq to run a big race.' He finished 6th and never looked like winning but was not a terrible run, went to Haydock NTO back over 7f and again finished half way down the field, back on good/firm ground today and over 7f, I think he has more in him than he is showing so will have a go again.

Re: Spooner's Thread Tariq did not run. York 14:15 - Party Doctor (Each-Way) @ 14/1 Totesport Tom Dascombe's runner have been unlucky not to get off the mark yet and has ran well in listed company in his last two, 3rd in the Chesham Stakes at Ascot and then followed up with a 2nd LTO just beaten at the post, into group company here but I'm not worried about him not winning yet and stepping up as the horse has shown plenty of ability, stable still seem to be in good form and I expected him to be alot shorter than 14/1. York 14:50 - Monitor Closely (Each-Way) @ 50/1 Stan James (bog) Fifty to one looks a bit of an insult to Peter Chapple-Hyam's runner as his showed some fair form this season and has not run a bad race, Opened up with a 2nd in a decent race at Newmarket for 3 year olds, was then entered into the 2000 Guineas when 8th, had Finjaan behind him that day who went onto win a group 2 LTO, then raced in the Dante at this track when 4th, had Kite Wood behind who has won two group 3's since, 5th LTO again at this track in the Sky Bet York Stakes a group 2. He may be suited by the step up a couple of furlongs, has shown on some starts over 10f that he was staying on but others time has looked like the extra couple maybe to much, but on known form he is not a 50/1 shot in a seven runner affair, it may well be that the ones at the top of the market are abit classier but I'll take a chance on an upset.

Re: Spooner's Thread

York 14:50 - Monitor Closely (Each-Way) @ 50/1 Stan James (bog) Fifty to one looks a bit of an insult to Peter Chapple-Hyam's runner as his showed some fair form this season and has not run a bad race, Opened up with a 2nd in a decent race at Newmarket for 3 year olds, was then entered into the 2000 Guineas when 8th, had Finjaan behind him that day who went onto win a group 2 LTO, then raced in the Dante at this track when 4th, had Kite Wood behind who has won two group 3's since, 5th LTO again at this track in the Sky Bet York Stakes a group 2. He may be suited by the step up a couple of furlongs, has shown on some starts over 10f that he was staying on but others time has looked like the extra couple maybe to much, but on known form he is not a 50/1 shot in a seven runner affair, it may well be that the ones at the top of the market are abit classier but I'll take a chance on an upset.
Outstanding call :clap

Re: Spooner's Thread Folkestone 19:50 - Malapropism (Each-Way) @ 9/1 William Hill (bog) Only six go to post for the final race at Folkestone tonight and I like Mick Channon's Malapropism, he has been a good servant for the stable and although form has dipped in the last year or so I think he has a race in him, I backed him three runs ago at Brighton when 3rd @ 16/1, has since ran two poor races but was just checking this one's form when six runners lined up and it reads 2112 which reads pretty well, 12 of 13 career wins have came over 5f, the field does not look to strong and one of these will have to win tonight, Channon's stable have not been firing all season but have had 10 or so winners in the last couple of weeks so are picking up a bit.

Re: Spooner's Thread Nothing for Malapropism, going to have a play York today. :hope York 13:45 - Di Stefano (Each-Way) @ 8/1 Stan James A tricky race to solve in the first at York today but I am opting for another Channon runner in Di Stefano, broke his miaden tag at Ripon and then went onto a hot race at Ascot when 3rd which was a cracking run, he had some proven 2 year-olds behind him including Star Rover who won yesterday. Then raced at Sandown LTO in listed company when sent off joint favourite, he was beaten around half a length but I think this step up to 6f could suit, alot of the races read 'staying on towards finish' so it could be that the extra furlong is what he needs, this is a hard race but I think Channon's runner has good form, goes on the ground and should enjoy the step up. York 14:15 - Lady Of The Desert (win) @ 15/8 Paddy Power (bog) I was very impressed with Brian Meehan's runner at Ascot LTO, I didn't back him but he done it easy and just looked like a good horse, Sand Vixen was back in 3rd and he went to win NTO in listed company, stepping up into a group 2 here and sticks to six furlongs, I think this horse will just improve again and he should take the beating in this. York 14:50 - Huzzah (Each-Way) @ 22/1 Boylesports (bog) Huzzah was a little bit disappointing LTO but previous to that had run two solid races in big fields and this company, 2nd in the Royal Hunt Cup at Ascot, a few did not run that day but the opposition he faced was still strong. Then raced at Sandown when 4th, he was behind the favourites in this Acrostic & Mirrored but he was not beaten that far by Mirrored yet they have a huge price difference, I'll sneaky each-way bet ignoring last run. York 15:25 - Barshiba (Each-Way) @ 16/1 Totesport Just six go to post for the Yorkshire Oaks and Sariska should take the beating but not for me at 1/3, Barshiba has been in cracking form this season, won two on the bounce in against good company and then was entered into the Nassau Stakes LTO at Goodwood, 4th which was a good run because it was a big step up into group 1 class and she held her own and beat some good fillies, the ground probably had a big play for some though. I'm hoping that she gets a soft lead in front and can kick on from the front, we see it with Monitor Closely on the first day and we've seen previously that Barshiba is hard to peg back when in front, Sariska may prove that much bit classier and get past but she's not without a shout. York 16:05 - Starfala (Each-Way) @ 18/1 Skybet Not sure what went wrong with Starfala LTO, she was upped to 1m 6f and ran no sort of race under Frankie Dettori and I don't know if its a result of that race as to why she is a big price here, she's ran some solid races this season and is in with an e/w chance in this, she's found a couple to good on most starts but she has alot of experience under her belt, was beaten twice by Storyland last season but on current form I can see a reverse of that, will have a bit to find with some at the top of the market however if she races to her best then she's in with a chance.

Re: Spooner's Thread Got work early so no time for write ups but will quickly put this one on here. York 15:25 - Dandy Man (Each-Way) @ 33/1 VC Bet (bog) I wrote this LTO: 18 runners line up for this group 3 over 5 furlongs and Dandy Man lined up as favourite for this last year when 3rd which was still a decent run but since that has possibly ran below expectations however he was last seen in the King's Stand Stakes at Ascot (group 1) when 7th of 15, he was beaten a total of six lengths, it says he was short of room and hampered over 1f out so perhaps would of been a bit closer, but anyway beaten six lengths is still not a bad run. He was 1.75 lengths behind Borderlescott who lines up for this as 7/2 favourite and taken into account that he was hampered they would of been much closer. What we do know is that on his day Dandy Man can race with the best of them (a group 3 winner in Palace House Stakes at Ascot in '06). The 5f trip is a trip he enjoys, a four times distance winner. I think its also worth nothing that Godolphin horses are back in form after a torrid time, they purchased him last year and I cannot remember them having a very good spell last year but this month has been a good one for them, in the month of July they have sent out 52 horses in the UK, 16 of them winning and 16 of them placing which is clearly a good record. So with Godolphin back in form and Dandy Man showing a little bit of promise in a group 1 race LTO I think he could bounce back here and will play each-way. Pretty simliar race here but I cannot write him off after his 5th at Goodwood, has a bit to find with Kingsgate Native but strong each-way claims in this. Stable could not be going better.

Re: Spooner's Thread Nothing with Dandy Man, sory for the lateness of the next bet. 19:10 Wolv - Dhhamaan (each-way) @ 14/1 Bet365 (bog) Stable in decent nick and this one may return to form as a result of that, has won at the course and on a handy mark at present, open race and not without chances.

Re: Spooner's Thread First lay bet of the thread I think. I'll lay to a liability of 10pts (7.14 pts). Sandown 14:40 - LAY Buzzword @ 2.40 Betfair (£246 to LAY) Might be a bit of a risk taking on the boys in blue with the form there in but I watched this one run at Goodwood LTO and I was just not impressed, ok maybe he was a bit short of room but when the gap opened for him he didn't exactly fly home, he stayed on to take second but I don't think he would of been much nearer the winner, he does step down into group 3 company here but the reason for the lay is that there are around 4 or 5 horses that I feel can beat this one, Buzzword has the form on paper but I always feel in these sort of races that he'll find one to good, to short at the current price.

Re: Spooner's Thread Having a go at tonight's racing. Short write-ups as people waiting to use computer. Market Rasen 19:00 - Hi Dancer (Each-Way) @ 9/1 Bet365 (bog) C&D winner previously, beaten a fair way on last two starts but running off a competitive mark here, ground is probably not ideal but he can still act on it, hopefully an improved run. Bath 19:15 - White Shift (Each-Way) @ 8/1 William Hill (bog) Only the five runners go to post here, this one went on a hot streak during may and june, as a result found it tough recently off this mark, was not a bad run at Ascot LTO and although again this is a tricky race I feel she'll go close. Bath 19:45 - Lady Jinks (Each-Way) @ 18/1 VC Bet (bog) Not the best race to finish the card and you could not back this one on recent form but can say the same for most, she showed some ability last season, has at least shown some good course form around Bath, won on this day last year at Bath, ground will suit, worth taking a chance she bounces back.

Re: Spooner's Thread Cheers, fin. :ok Gonna have a play in two maiden races, on papaer they both don't have much to beat. Folkestone 14:10 - Monsieur Joe (win) @ 6/4 Bet365 (bog) Fancy him to break maiden tag at the third time of asking, raced in a tougher race at Ascot LTO when 3rd, hung badly left but was still an ok run, Jira back in 5th has gone onto win in listed company since. Has had a lay off for around 3 months but should be good enough to see off these. Musselburgh 14:50 - Jozafeen (win) @ 6/4 Sportingbet Showed a massive improvement LTO when 2nd at Carlisle, on that form he looks the one to beat as he is really not up against alot, one unknown newcomer would not have to be anything special but stable not great with 2yo's FTO, likely danger comes from Raleigh Quay who was 2nd LTO but it was a distance 2nd, this one should get off the mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Spooner's Thread A new month so a fresh start, I am no longer backing horses to win nor each-way, I am going back to place betting as I feel this is the most consistent way of gaining a profit, I have good days but I also have alot of bad days with the way I bet at the moment but I feel with place betting those bad days won't come around so often. Ended with good profit in this thread but really that was to do with Monitor Closely who went in at 50/1. Feel free to join me on the other thread. :ok

Spooner's backing to place I ended up with decent profit in my last thread http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/f13/spooners-thread-86770/index9.html#post1464492 but on the whole I just don't feel at the moment that I am getting steady enough profits, so im going back to place betting only in the hope of better results. One key thing that I must do is still look at horses to win the race and not get sucked into thinking 'they may place' as previously that has been my downful when place backing. This is maybe not as exciting as backing horses to win the race but I would like to make this game pay and whilst I'm not losing money at the moment, I don't feel im getting as rewarded as I would like. All bets will be 10pts and to betfair's place SP. :ok

Re: Spooner's backing to place 1st Sept 09' Leicester 14:50 - Raine Supreme (3 to place) Has a bit of form in a seller LTO when 3rd at Catterick, she stayed on well towards the finish, the horses at the top of the mark look really weak and are possibly there on trainer reputation, this stable are in good form with 7 places in there last 18 runners. I think she'll go well. 15:20 - Party In The Park (3 to place) A few of these look to be more effective on the all-weather surface but Party In The Park looks better suited on turf on known form, Im not sure what went wrong LTO as he way beating a fair way and on that form you wouldn't back him here but he is a better than that, 2nd three runs ago suggested he could be winning soon and then went to Catterick where he wasn't beaten far, is running off a low mark now and a first time visor is applied, improved run should be on the cards. N Abbot 16:10 - Gunner Rose (3 to place) Sent chasing LTO after disappointing over hurdles and he ran well taking 3rd place, he was beaten 10 lengths but it wasn't a bad first run, he should improve with experience, stable have sent out two horses in the last week or so and both have placed. He is eased in trip here a couple of furlongs and should enjoy the same ground again. Ripon 15:00 - Val C (3 to place) Ran a 3rd LTO at Newmarket in what looked a decent enough race, she could possibly be well handicapped here, she ran off 6lb higher mark when running a good race at Sandown earlier in the season, she's upped to 6f here which im not sure will suit but I think its worth taking a chance on her today. 17:00 - Aleron (3 to place) Proved such a consistent horse for connections in the years gone by and can go well for them again here, has been running over jumps in recent months but goes back to the flat here, was seen at Catterick in May over two miles where he posted a good 2nd off a 1lb higher mark, has previously enjoyed good ground and no reason why he can't close here.