Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday)

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Now everyone has played once at least we have a bit of tournament form to factor into predictions now. I wan't overly impressed with Portugal in their opener against Turkey although admittedly I didn't see the entire game. However, I thought they should have finished off a weak Turkish defence much more comfortably than they did - something Germany, Holland or Spain would have done I'm sure. Portugal top the group though and it may be fair to say that both sides would settle for a point here as neither will want to lose and possibly go into their final games level on points with Switz/Turkey, should one of the latter pair win their game today. I wasn't that impressed with the Czech Republic that much to be honest, either. They scraped through the Switzerland game after catching the Swiss defence napping for the only goal of the game but they looked like they would struggle for goals. If Frei had stayed on I would have expected the Swiss to take a point from that game. Not sure why Milan Baros didn't play for Czech - he has a tremendous scoring record for his country. On ITV last night they suggested that the Czech coach is ready to make changes tonight, hopefully that will mean Baros comes in. Big Jan Koller didn't last the full 90 mins last game which was disappointing because he offers such a massive threat from set plays and to be fair he too has a good scoring record internationally. In BH's tipping comp I've gone for 1-1 for this one. I'll stick with that here as I think both teams will be content with a point ahead of 'easier' closing round fixtures.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) As I said on another thread earlier, Baros was left out of the XI because he has been terribly out of form for some time and generally fails to convert even seemingly easy chances. From what I've heard, the line-up will be more defensive-minded, most probably just Koller up front (due to generally shorter Portuguese defense), andI'll be surprised if the substitute is Baros and not Sverkos - very natural scorer who alredy netted one against Switzerland. Mind you, the fact that Baros was left out certainly means a lot as the coach ALWAYS started him before regardless of form. When he failed to score in easy friendlies, it was the last drop, I think. Sionko, Sverkos, Vlcek are in much better form and if Baros starts, fails to score and CR are eliminated, despite all successes Bruckner would be the one to take all the blame - at least most fans would think so. As for tonight - CR will have to improve markedly and I'm not sure if they are able to. After all, from the Portuguese point of view, a draw is not enough as if the Swiss beat the Turks tonight, who knows what might happen in the final match. I can see especially the Portuguese pushing for a win. A draw is a possibility, but I think the Portuguese should win this.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday)

czech.gif Czech v Portugal portugal.gif The betting for Euro 2008 Group A is little changed after the first round of fixtures followed form. Portugal were pre-tournament favourites to top Group A after Felipe Scolari’s side beat Turkey 2-0 in their opening game Scolari names an unchanged Portugal team to play the Czech Republic today. Either country can secure their place in the knockout stages with a win in the Group A showdown in Geneva. Both teams already have three points, and one foot in the knock-out stages, but the Portuguese were the more impressive of the sides, and are favourites with most firms. Tempted to get on the Overs here, most of the decent sides now are playing a bit more open so we could see goals here. 2-1 to Portugal Over 2.5 goals @ 6/4 Bet365 GL

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Going for Portugal here, had a solid game against a less than impressive Turkish side and should have beaten them by a larger margin than 2-0. Pepe and Caravalho are solid enough and should be able to deal with Koller, who hardly moved in the Czechs first game and an out of form Baros, who is set to replace Plasil as the Czechs change to a 4-4-2. Going forward Portugal have enough options, Nuno Gomes looked lively and even though he doesnt have the killer instincts of other international strikers, he is more than a handful. Moutinho looked very impressive and Deco is always a threat, not to mention Ronaldo of course. The Czechs looked a liitle laboured against the Swiss on day one and maybe against a better side would have conceded under the late pressure they were put under. I guess they're missing Rosiky but i think this Czech side may struggle against the Portugese. Three points for either side would be enough to see them through to the next round, but I reckon it'l be the Porugese who will go looking for the win, with their final game against the home nation Swiss it would be better to have the six points in the bag before then. If Switzerland beat Turkey today and Portugal draw or lose they'l be looking for a shock win to put thm through to the next round in the final game and with massive home support it will be a situation that Scolari will look to avoid. Pick - Portugal - 1.87 GL

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) The betting public are showing a large disrespect to Czech, in my opinion. They qualified ahead of Germany while Portugal qualified behind Poland. People have far too large a hardon for Ronaldo. Don't get me wrong, he's top class. Right at the top. But people seem to want to superimpose his ManU form onto Portugal - but Portugal ain't ManU. They havn't got Rooney, Van de Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Tevez, Evra, Saha. OK, Czech weren't great against Switzerland - but keep in mind this was effectively an away game for them. At top level home advantage makes a very large difference. Portugal - Czech is a neutral game for both sides. Sure the Czechs lack flair, but they have the best keeper in the world, and a very organised and disciplined system. That along with Koller, who has a world class scoring record internationally, makes them dangerous for anyone. 5/1 for Czech screams value to me. I'm torn between it and Czech+0.5 @ 2.16 I will probably go with the +0.5, as if the game goes into the last 10 minutes and it is still level, I can't see either sides taking great risks to capture the three points. I also quite like Koller to score at anytime. There are little bits of money for it at around 4.5 on the exchanges.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) For me personally I cant see past a portugal win today. Portugal are rightly regarded as one of the tournament favourtiers and although they struggled to get out of second gear on Saturday night they were more than enought for Turkey. They could have won that game by far more than the 2 goals by which the game was finally settled. The Czech's on the other hand seemed to struggle past an ordinary swiss side, and to be fair probably didnt deserver to come away with all 3 points. For me a portugal win at 4/5 seems very big and is certainly a bet today which I will be lumping on.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Portugal playing some decent stuff, like all the favs for the competition, have players all over the pitch that can unlock defences, think they need a world class striker up top put with that midfield goals should still flow, Czech Rep will look to build on their 1-0 win over the hosts, where they did look a little suspect from crosses into the box and set-pieces. Portugal Win @ 4/5

The betting public are showing a large disrespect to Czech, in my opinion. They qualified ahead of Germany while Portugal qualified behind Poland. People have far too large a hardon for Ronaldo. Don't get me wrong, he's top class. Right at the top. But people seem to want to superimpose his ManU form onto Portugal - but Portugal ain't ManU. They havn't got Rooney, Van de Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Tevez, Evra, Saha. OK, Czech weren't great against Switzerland - but keep in mind this was effectively an away game for them. At top level home advantage makes a very large difference. Portugal - Czech is a neutral game for both sides. Sure the Czechs lack flair, but they have the best keeper in the world, and a very organised and disciplined system. That along with Koller, who has a world class scoring record internationally, makes them dangerous for anyone. 5/1 for Czech screams value to me. I'm torn between it and Czech+0.5 @ 2.16 I will probably go with the +0.5, as if the game goes into the last 10 minutes and it is still level, I can't see either sides taking great risks to capture the three points. I also quite like Koller to score at anytime. There are little bits of money for it at around 4.5 on the exchanges.
The atmosphere won't be different tonight with most of the stadium behind Portugal who have quite some following, including "neutral" Swiss fans who still have to feel bitter after losing the opener very unfortunately - hitting the woodwork twice if I'm not mistaken, being denied a perfectly legal penalty and sucumbing after one of very few mistakes in defence - let's face it, the Czech amassed a mighty ONE shot on goal in the opener - and that was the goal. Add to this even the Czech public do not trust this team much - although those who went to Switzerland will be heard and seen. Anything can happen, but I don't think the Czechs can win this one;)

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) I take your point that the czechs are great value at 5/1 but the fact is that although it is a tempting price, they are priced that high for a reason. Yes they were impressive in qualifying but they were far from impressive in their opening match, whereas portugal ere impressive without really playing to the best of their abilities. I still cant see past Portugal, and a price at close to evens is the one which in my opinion is more likely to pay out

People have far too large a hardon for Ronaldo. Don't get me wrong, he's top class. Right at the top. But people seem to want to superimpose his ManU form onto Portugal - but Portugal ain't ManU. They havn't got Rooney, Van de Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Tevez, Evra, Saha. Portugal - Czech is a neutral game for both sides. Sure the Czechs lack flair, but they have the best keeper in the world, and a very organised and disciplined system. That along with Koller, who has a world class scoring record internationally, makes them dangerous for anyone.
Dont get me wrong, Petr Cech is a world-class keeper but this ain't Chelsea. You can't expect him to transform his club form to international level. 3 of the defenders that play in front of him at Chelsea are playing in front of his opposite number tonite :lol Anyways, Portugal v Czech Initially I had picked Czech for this one but looking at how dodgy their defence were against the Swiss, I don;t see them holding off the Portugese for long. Both know that a win would see them go through and the Portugese especially would want to avoid having to play for a win against the Swiss in the last match to ensure qualification to the knockout rounds. Portugal will look to score early in this match and dictate the tempo of the match from thereon. Having said that, I do not see the Portugese score more than 2 goals though. They could've beaten the Turks by a large margin had they been more prolific in front of goal. In qualifying and as seen in the first match, they struggled to score and lack bite in front of goal. They are capable of creating numerous chances but out of 10 chances they are only likely to score one.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) I'm liking the look of Portugal -0.5 & -1 at 2.17 on BetFair. As others have said, I can't see past a Portugal win here and the odds are quite attractive, as they could easily score a few here. The Czechs looked ponderous in their opening game and were very lucky to get the win, whereas Portugal looked comfortable without playing anywhere near their best. For me, the Czechs will be concentrating on the Turkey game as their route through to the quarters and I expect a defensive performance here, which could backfire as they're not as good at it as, say, Greece or Romania. On the other hand, if they go for it and open the game up, that will play right into Portuguese hands and we could see a high scoring game. Either way, this gives me the 1 goal win on my side and a nice return if Portugal get the comfortable win I'm expecting, so it's a 5/10 for me.

The betting public are showing a large disrespect to Czech, in my opinion. They qualified ahead of Germany while Portugal qualified behind Poland.
...and everything else he said (very well put I thought!) Czech Republic @ 4/1 seems excellent value to me and I shall be taking a piece of the action.

The betting public are showing a large disrespect to Czech, in my opinion. They qualified ahead of Germany while Portugal qualified behind Poland. People have far too large a hardon for Ronaldo. Don't get me wrong, he's top class. Right at the top. But people seem to want to superimpose his ManU form onto Portugal - but Portugal ain't ManU. They havn't got Rooney, Van de Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Carrick, Tevez, Evra, Saha. OK, Czech weren't great against Switzerland - but keep in mind this was effectively an away game for them. At top level home advantage makes a very large difference. Portugal - Czech is a neutral game for both sides. Sure the Czechs lack flair, but they have the best keeper in the world, and a very organised and disciplined system. That along with Koller, who has a world class scoring record internationally, makes them dangerous for anyone. 5/1 for Czech screams value to me. I'm torn between it and Czech+0.5 @ 2.16 I will probably go with the +0.5, as if the game goes into the last 10 minutes and it is still level, I can't see either sides taking great risks to capture the three points. I also quite like Koller to score at anytime. There are little bits of money for it at around 4.5 on the exchanges.
The atmosphere won't be different tonight with most of the stadium behind Portugal who have quite some following, including "neutral" Swiss fans who still have to feel bitter after losing the opener very unfortunately - hitting the woodwork twice if I'm not mistaken, being denied a perfectly legal penalty and sucumbing after one of very few mistakes in defence - let's face it, the Czech amassed a mighty ONE shot on goal in the opener - and that was the goal. Add to this even the Czech public do not trust this team much - although those who went to Switzerland will be heard and seen. Anything can happen, but I don't think the Czechs can win this one;)

Scolari names an unchanged Portugal team to play the Czech Republic today....Both teams already have three points, and one foot in the knock-out stages, but the Portuguese were the more impressive of the sides, and are favourites with most firms.

2-1 to Portugal Over 2.5 goals @ 6/4 Bet365

GL

Karel+vs+Scolari2a.jpg Brückner: Hey Phil Scolari: Ya, Brückner: Why don't we call it a draw and both be happy? By the way, I could use an attacking forward I'm short in that department you mind loaning me Quaresma? Scolari: I'll think about it, it's going to be alot of sardines Brückner: Skoal http://www.serieaweekly.blogspot.com Hey gents hope we're all winners today, Cheers Kev

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Czech Republic - Portugal Group A, 2nd round. Portugal looked very good in their opening game against Turkey, especially their defence look very strong. In my opinion, Portugal should have won by 2 more goals. They hit the post a couple of times. Portugal is very strong when it comes to free kicks and corner kicks. Czech on the other hand didn't look good in my opinion - as expected. They were very lucky to beat the Swiss, because Swiss deserved at least 1 point. The injury of Frei was a very big disappointment for me as well. I don't think Czech will be lucky this time, Portugal will win this game. If Portugal win this game, the 2nd round will be very likely for Scolari and his players. Maybe Scolari wins this game then rests a couple of his star players like Ronaldo, Deco in the 3rd game? Yesterday Spain won 4-1, hope you had some money on them. PORTUGAL TO WIN @ 1.86 CONFIDENCE: 7/10 http://alqadrnl.blogspot.com/

I must agree with you here! Both teams won their first match and dont want to risk anything. I might play the same thing as you :)

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Portugal go into these game as favourites which is reasonable, But for those fans of Swiss will really want these game to end ina draw so at least when going into the final round of games they will stand a slight chance of qualifying if they beat portugal. which is gonna be very tough. So i suppose beside the 2 set of fans in the stadium, Swiss fans will be hoping for a draw, Anyway Portugal did impress against the turks, But turkey normally do not well in the euros. while Czecks grind a result against the Swiss. I feel the upper hand will be with Czech as a Draw tonight will make them comfortable going into the next round. Maybe even sneak a win here. So Going Czech +1/2 ball here. Gd Luck May the best team win......

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Has to be Portugal for me. The Czechs were very lucky to beat Switzerland in my opinion whereas Portugal played well, on the whole, against The Turks. Like Spain, 4/5 is decent enough value if you are prepared to play big and thats what Im willing to do.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) If Portugal want to claim top spot then a win tonight will do them perfectly. I think Portugal don't really know how to defend and their way of defending is to attack and make sure they don't let the opposition have the ball. I think Ronaldo is due his first goal of the tournament tonight and Portugal came close to scoring more than just the 2 against Turkey. I think Portugal go in to this game knowing that a win would see them qualify as top of the group. That way they can relax more in their last game and give some key players a rest. I think that this game will be over 2.5 goals @ 2.88 as it will be more open as neither team really wants to think that they still need a result in their final match.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Portugal -1 (EH) Both teams started their Euro campaign with victories and while Portugal were more impressive of the two teams, both teams could consider themselves fortunate to get the 3 points. Portugal have plenty of attacking flair and seeing how the Czechs had some defensive lapses against the Swiss, who didn't capitalise on the opportunities, then the Portugese will relish the same chances again. As for the Czechs they struggled to open up the Swiss defence and they were lucky to snatch a goal and the game. Can't see them prising open a Portuguese defence that were very good in the first game, so Portugal should be able to score at least a couple of goals here

A good post and I have to say I totally agree with this. I think the Czechs will neutralise the Portugese attack and see this as a very low scoring game. Neither team want to risk too much in this match and both would be happy with the draw I feel. Draw for me.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) going for a double : Czech Rep v Portugal: no red cards Switzerland v Turkey: Switzerland not to lose @1.69 In GB Goaltan competition i went for 1-1 draw.I think teams will play very careful football here. Good luck everybody:hope

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Group Stage Bet 5 Portugal 1.87 8/10 The Czechs may be well organized and have a world-class goalkeeper but they lack the technical quality in midfield of recent years and while I see why people see 5/1 as value I just think that Portugal have so much speed and creativity from midfield to front to create chances and may only need to score once to secure victory. Nuno Gomes hit the post in the first game and will be looking to go one better this time while Ronaldo will keen to open his account, the draw is a danger but Portugal will want to clinch qualification tonight and I think they'll just have too much for the Czechs.

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Sport Football (Internationals) Event Euro 2008 Selection Portugal Strength 9/10 Date 11/06/2008 Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.85 (Back) Reasoning Well in this game I feel we have the two group 'favourites' and the possibility for either one to gurantee a quarter final place if they win tonight. From the first set of games in the group, Portugal looked the better outfit and to be honest they should have won by a larger margin IMO. I think the Portugeese have flair, skill and various danger men that their opponants lack, I can therefore see them being the attacking side in game in which they should really win. Portgual to win is my selection... GL ALL :ok

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) i'm not sure how this match will go but czech republic will look to step up a gear. portugal was solid in first game and i don't seem them changing winning team or tactics. both teams have won their oppening games so think neither team will risk too much in this one as a draw would suit them. ronaldo may be keen to score but czechs have a good record against them. i think a draw or 1-0 portugal win. i hope i'm wrong but that's my feeling

Re: Czech Rep v Portugal (Wednesday) Portugal for me here.....The Czechs weren't very impressive imo, far from it in their opening game against the Swiss, while I think Portugal looked good in their first match. Think Portugal are a pretty good bet and shall just about wrap up the group here. :hope

If Portugal want to claim top spot then a win tonight will do them perfectly. I think Portugal don't really know how to defend and their way of defending is to attack and make sure they don't let the opposition have the ball. I think Ronaldo is due his first goal of the tournament tonight and Portugal came close to scoring more than just the 2 against Turkey. I think Portugal go in to this game knowing that a win would see them qualify as top of the group. That way they can relax more in their last game and give some key players a rest. I think that this game will be over 2.5 goals @ 2.88 as it will be more open as neither team really wants to think that they still need a result in their final match.
Loving all the unders for Euro 2008, means you get value like this from time to time! 20 minutes in and 2 goals already... only 1 more needed for the bet to win! :dude