** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

betting shop rules, help needed

dont think i have a leg to stand on, but here goes i called into a betting shop i use everyday while im out in the work van and placed 50 pounds on a evens favourite and it won, so i headed to the girl at the pay out counter and handed her my docket, then my work phone started to ring, so i rushed outside and answered it, then when i finished i headed back into the bookies and went to get my 100 pound but when i asked for it the girl said she gave me it or she gave somebody else it but she didnt know who, then she said there is nothing i can do about it and that the moneys gone(also there is no cctv in this bookies) she gave me head office number but i wouldnt know what to say does anybody know if i have a chance off getting my money cheers joe

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Firstly, why leave the shop because your phone rang? No need to. Go back and speak to the manager. It's his job to sort this out. Is she's the manager, report it to head office. She's supposed to make eye contact with every customer, so she SHOULDN'T have paid the wrong person. Sounds like she hasn't got a clue what she's doing.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Ok, their argument would be that you are in with the bloke that got your cash. Your argument is that you are not. And also how do you know the staff havn't pocketed it? Was it busy in there? I think she is at it. I would've gone mad, I'm sure you did. If she ain't at it then it is still her fault, she made the mistake. I wouldn't have left the shop personally, I would've sorted it with their H/O then. What firm is it? Ring them and tell it like it is.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed

By the way, I've bet in a thousand shop, and always put tickets over and walked away, to watch a race, to read the paper, any number of reasons. No staff has ever made that mistake, they make the point of remembering.
Yeah done the same in the past Left slip on counter gone to side to write another bet out and then they pay you the money, But I must say thats what most REGULARS do anyway

Yeah done the same in the past Left slip on counter gone to side to write another bet out and then they pay you the money, But I must say thats what most REGULARS do anyway
I was in a Hills shop about three years or so ago, I was betting fairly big, no one else was hardly betting. My turnover was about fairly big in the short period I was in there. Well I backed a winner and asked him to take it out of the next bet. He said they wasn't allowed to do that, in case it didn't win! I said, "check the result for crying out loud" - or words to that effect. But he wouldn't have it, and to make matters worse he tried to be clever. I tried to get at him but those pesky security screens got in the way! I wasn't losing (just hit the front), I've never been a bad loser in my life anyway, but poor betting shop staff always wound me up. I had money in my pocket but it was just easier for him to do it my way. I didn't have the bet, it lost thankfully, so I told him that I'd let H/O know he what he's cost them. The amount I was betting isn't important but I'm making the point that even a good customer is given no respect. Thank god I don't use betting shops anymore, they just don't want the business. Rant over, just pointing out of probably 60% of betting shop staf are TOTALLY INCOMPETENT. It sounds like Joe's shop is an independent. In my experience, all but one indy I've used have been pathetic - not worth a dollar. They bar you straight away, they are worse than the big four for that.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed I worked for an Indie for years in east London. Never barred a winning punter, only drunken arseholes, or yobs selling drugs. As for incompetent staff. A bloke went into the Ladbrokes near us a good few years ago to put a bet on in the morning. Some time later he discovered it was a non-runner. He studies for a short while and goes to the shop on the way to work to put on a different bet. The manager was out to lunch, and the cashier wouldn't pay him until she'd rung the office as she 'didn't know how to work bets out' He tried to explain it was a non-runner but was wasting his time as she never understood what he meant. He came to our shop as a customer after that :ok

Re: betting shop rules, help needed I think your right in that you dont have a leg to stand on. You should be able to leave your slip with her, knowing you can come back and then get paid. Its an absolute joke you cannot trust the bookie to give winnings to the correct person. To be honest, it sounds like she has pocketed the money, knowing there is no CCTV in the bookies. Like others say, ring the office and go mad, saying your a regular and they will lose custom. Its worth a go.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Just for the record.

By the way, I've bet in a thousand shop, and always put tickets over and walked away, to watch a race, to read the paper, any number of reasons.
Not saying all, but it seems in most cases the punters that do this are the most arrogant bastards in the shop.
I had money in my pocket but it was just easier for him to do it my way. I didn't have the bet, it lost thankfully, so I told him that I'd let H/O know he what he's cost them.
How would head office react to that?? Well done for following procedure.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Zzzzz. That attitude is why my close to seven figure yearly turnover no longer goes through bookmakers. Absolutely PATHETIC response to the first point. How can you possible judge anyone like that? Believe me, I've treated betting shop staff better than anyone else I know so you're point there carries no water at all. This is why betting shops were on their arse until the machines came in. They lost a punter staking on average a hundred times more than anyone else in the shop - and prior to that I've been nothing but a model customer. GOOD BUSINESS. You're condoning that? :rollin

Re: betting shop rules, help needed One more point, the reason I asked him to put the bet on out of winnings is because due to certain circumstances, I didn't want to keep pulling out dough left, right and center. Are you saying that as a company they shouldn't show any common sense in such matters? I've been in some great shops that have shown lots of sense when taking and paying out bets, and I've been in some run by total inexperienced know-all (but actually know ****-all) idiots that do not show any. The result? I voted with my feet in the old days, these days it's easier. Exchanges all the way.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Guys, i dont want to see this get an more personal than it is currently. Each of you have an opinion through personal experiences both side of the counter & therefore I have respect for both I find it laughable at times when cashiers dont actually know anything about betting/prices etc & therefore are just paying lip service to the role & may as well be selling you tomatoes from the local supermarket. I walked into a Hills shop after footie on Saturday & asked behind the counter who finished 5th in the National, the reply from a young lady was "we only paid the 1st 4 places", I said i know but most bookies paid 5 places. She couldnt help me any further, we had a bit of banter as i said "werent you watching it then!". At no point was any attempt to ask a collegaue or lookk through their screens etc to see if they could get me that detail. I shouldnt expect it but the personal service has disappeared over the last 20 years. Most bookies knew thier clients ways & preferences but with the new technology in the shops, they are "cold" places to be now all atmosphere has gone. I recall the days when you didnt actually have to check the NR's Before you placed your bet as the guvnor would bloody tell you if it wa running or not as they took a personal interest! Have some reasonable debate guys & avoid the fur flying:ok

Guys, i dont want to see this get an more personal than it is currently. Each of you have an opinion through personal experiences both side of the counter & therefore I have respect for both I find it laughable at times when cashiers dont actually know anything about betting/prices etc & therefore are just paying lip service to the role & may as well be selling you tomatoes from the local supermarket. I walked into a Hills shop after footie on Saturday & asked behind the counter who finished 5th in the National, the reply from a young lady was "we only paid the 1st 4 places", I said i know but most bookies paid 5 places. She couldnt help me any further, we had a bit of banter as i said "werent you watching it then!". At no point was any attempt to ask a collegaue or lookk through their screens etc to see if they could get me that detail. I shouldnt expect it but the personal service has disappeared over the last 20 years. Most bookies knew thier clients ways & preferences but with the new technology in the shops, they are "cold" places to be now all atmosphere has gone. I recall the days when you didnt actually have to check the NR's Before you placed your bet as the guvnor would bloody tell you if it wa running or not as they took a personal interest! Have some reasonable debate guys & avoid the fur flying:ok
Not sure I was getting personal to be honest. I didn't mean to if I did. I'm questioning comments/opinions that I feel are unfair. It's still a reasonable debut in my eyes. Perhaps it's just my style when I feel strongly about a subject so fair enough. :ok I agree they are just glorified cashiers thesedays. Lot cheaper you see. Crying shame how that side of the game has gone. Popped in a shop on Saturday to put my bird's ENDLESS e/w Grand National bets on. While in the queue, a chap asked an employee how many bets an e/w lucky 15 was. He didn't know and the employee asked ME if I knew. Can you imagine being that incompetent in your own job? :eek

Not sure I was getting personal to be honest. I didn't mean to if I did.
no probs Billy, I am sure WFTE can see the passion behind your argument The internet / exchanges have left shops dying on thier feet down south. I dont know about the North as dont live there. My local Corlas opens from 08.30 am to 9.30 at night - WHY? what service are they providing to be open that long. They are just hoping that the Chinese guy comes in & sits on the machine playing roulette with his takeaway takings ! The old characters have mostly gone. Young & Old we had some decent banter over the years. I was approached last year to open a bookies as they felt my expertise would be helpful. I now know that they had absolutely no idea what to do & felt that by putting 3 machines in a shop would make them cash loads of money!

no probs Billy, I am sure WFTE can see the passion behind your argument The internet / exchanges have left shops dying on thier feet down south. I dont know about the North as dont live there. My local Corlas opens from 08.30 am to 9.30 at night - WHY? what service are they providing to be open that long. They are just hoping that the Chinese guy comes in & sits on the machine playing roulette with his takeaway takings ! The old characters have mostly gone. Young & Old we had some decent banter over the years. I was approached last year to open a bookies as they felt my expertise would be helpful. I now know that they had absolutely no idea what to do & felt that by putting 3 machines in a shop would make them cash loads of money!
Yep, I miss the social side of things, because that was a big part of going into betting shops. It's hours in front of a laptop thesedays - not ideal and not as much fun. There is no choice though unfortunately.

Yep' date=' I miss the social side of things, because that was a big part of going into betting shops. It's hours in front of a laptop thesedays - not ideal and not as much fun. There is no choice though unfortunately.[/quote'] Punters Lounge has become the new social scene I'm afraid. You cant beat the banter on here & the knowledge is 2nd to none.

Punters Lounge has become the new social scene I'm afraid. You cant beat the banter on here & the knowledge is 2nd to none.
Absolutely. Venting helps, explaining races helps with studying, and it relieves the boredom in-between bets - It's either here or watching Diagnosis Murder on the beeb! :puke

Re: betting shop rules, help needed I can see where WFTE is coming from, although i dont fully agree with his sweeping statement. If most punters worked for a day in a busy betting shop they would all change their attitude slightly, most of them dont realise the hassle it can cause when taking the next bet out of the last winner. This happened in one of my shops once, a premiership footballer at the time which will remain nameless, (villa player, then) was betting in hundreds race by race, he was losing a wedge to say the least, finally he had a winner, for two grand if i remember rightly, he ran up to the counter and slapped all his returns on a fav for the next race and said take it out the winnings, he dashed off to watch the race, it got beat he went out in a huff and 5 minutes later his 'winner' was thrown out by a very late stewards inquiry. We were 2 grand light, I was off that day thank god but the manager got well stuffed, do you think he let that kind of thing happen again? No he didnt, he was lucky to have his job. To finish the story this footballer went into another one of our shops the next week and the manager spoke to him, he promptly gave the money back, he was having a rare good day. The thing is most and i do say most of these punters know they are the high stake merchants of the shop and do take liberties with the staff, they expect personal service, it cant always be given. They are the ones that get irate over nothing and its the staffs fault all the time. The pay is crap or was when i was in the game for cashiers, its just a job to them, they dont care about racing or get taught about it, most of the trainees dont know the difference betwen 4/6 or 6/4, it puts a lot of pressure on the manager and to have some punters running about like headless chickens putting bets on on anything that moves, take this out of that, i'll be back in a minute, take the price etc...Its just a nightmare, we used to have different tills for payout anyway and it wasnt as easy as you think. We also had some great customers who respected the work we did, i tell you know, 99% of the time one of my customers had a problem with a bet i would back them up when tryng to sort it out with the DM and 100% of the time he would take my word for it. The 1% i didnt help were those who took the piss and didnt respect my staff and made my life difficult when it doesnt need to be. To answer Joes question, ask to speak to the District Manager, if they didint pay it out the tills will be up and you will get it. If the tills balanced then ask for a meeting, if your right and you behaved decently they will sort you out. They hate bad publicity and will settle the most rediculous of claims, you wouldnt believe it honest.

I can see where WFTE is coming from, although i dont fully agree with his sweeping statement. If most punters worked for a day in a busy betting shop they would all change their attitude slightly, most of them dont realise the hassle it can cause when taking the next bet out of the last winner. This happened in one of my shops once, a premiership footballer at the time which will remain nameless, (villa player, then) was betting in hundreds race by race, he was losing a wedge to say the least, finally he had a winner, for two grand if i remember rightly, he ran up to the counter and slapped all his returns on a fav for the next race and said take it out the winnings, he dashed off to watch the race, it got beat he went out in a huff and 5 minutes later his 'winner' was thrown out by a very late stewards inquiry. We were 2 grand light, I was off that day thank god but the manager got well stuffed, do you think he let that kind of thing happen again? No he didnt, he was lucky to have his job. To finish the story this footballer went into another one of our shops the next week and the manager spoke to him, he promptly gave the money back, he was having a rare good day. The thing is most and i do say most of these punters know they are the high stake merchants of the shop and do take liberties with the staff, they expect personal service, it cant always be given. They are the ones that get irate over nothing and its the staffs fault all the time. The pay is crap or was when i was in the game for cashiers, its just a job to them, they dont care about racing or get taught about it, most of the trainees dont know the difference betwen 4/6 or 6/4, it puts a lot of pressure on the manager and to have some punters running about like headless chickens putting bets on on anything that moves, take this out of that, i'll be back in a minute, take the price etc...Its just a nightmare, we used to have different tills for payout anyway and it wasnt as easy as you think. We also had some great customers who respected the work we did, i tell you know, 99% of the time one of my customers had a problem with a bet i would back them up when tryng to sort it out with the DM and 100% of the time he would take my word for it. The 1% i didnt help were those who took the piss and didnt respect my staff and made my life difficult when it doesnt need to be. To answer Joes question, ask to speak to the District Manager, if they didint pay it out the tills will be up and you will get it. If the tills balanced then ask for a meeting, if your right and you behaved decently they will sort you out. They hate bad publicity and will settle the most rediculous of claims, you wouldnt believe it honest.
Like you say, some punters do recognise the efforts. I always understood the pressure of their job, and I know it is awkward to pay bets out of winnngs. I didn't forget this ever. Like I said I treat(ed) betting shop staff extremely well. I never took advantage of being a bigger than average player and didn't expect special treatment, BUT if i was helped out with matters like the one in question, then believe me, they were looked after. Everytime. I've come out of shops level but worked out I've tipped £x. Don't wanna get into all that, I'm trying to say that not all punters are oblivious to the problems, some understand and appreciate efforts. Although I agree with you that some don't. I know some punters that are a nightmare and wouldn't give the staff a dollar if they won five grand. But everyone is different - never judge a sausage by the skin. ;) For the record, that was the ONLY time I've been questioned when requesting what I did. I'd say it's less than 0.01% of the time.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed We changed to First Past The Post about 10 years ago. Not many get slung out these days, and it was only to try and nick customers from Ladbrokes or Hills anyway. As most punters have trouble betting before the hare runs or the stalls open, I used to take every bet I could and just keep the tickets. Cash would be exchanged after the off-slip had gone through. If a dog was beaten or a horse fell, and the punter didn't pay, I never moaned. I waited for him to back a winner, may take a day or more, and stopped it out of that. If he moaned, he got told to fcuk off to another shop. I didn't do my best to please the punter, and then sit there and get shit on. All the regulars knew the score.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed I worked in betting shops as a Cashier for a while, over 10 years ago now, and when I began I didn't have a clue about betting. My friend was a shop manager and I needed a job and so he said I should apply. At my interview the area manager just wanted to make sure I could count, and told me it didn't matter if I didn't know what I was doing bets wise!! I just had to take the money / put slips through / payout .. which in theory is easy, .. but we know all the other stuff requested comes into it too, .. and of course the cashier has to keep an eye on the bets they are ringing up and putting through to make sure they allowed. I did take an interest and soon picked up knowledge along the way, and I have more than half a brain, .. but if it was up to my boss I would have kept getting confused and pissing off the punters. I feel sorry for some of these cashiers .. at least give them a manual or something eh.

My local Corlas opens from 08.30 am to 9.30 at night - WHY? what service are they providing to be open that long. They are just hoping that the Chinese guy comes in & sits on the machine playing roulette with his takeaway takings !
We get a few regulars in doing the Virtual and Coral plus, plus obviously the punters who nip in before work to put there L15's on whilst at work. Or like wise a few lads come in off night shifts etc I can see bookies being open 24hours a day soon, I really can. 3am 2 cashiers red-eyed half asleep waiting for the Honk Kong 4.30 results:lol most of the people I work with are very competent at there jobs, Id say 50% can manually settle a L15 or L31 but I do know of some *cough managers that what ever it says on the till screen then thats gospel. They wouldn't know how to settle a query IF the translation was wrong. Luckily I can hold my hand up and say that most of the time I do things outside of my sphere to accommodate the punters that come in. As Bowles said if you get just the first 4 results for the Grand National I know who came 5th 6th etc and if anyone asks "where did mine come " I can say sorry mate yeah it fell or it ran well but finished 8th. Its not rocket science its just taking an interest in the job you do. Yeah sometimes its shite but I think you'll find workers with a certain interest in there job are better than the dumb-ass robots that just read off a screen. Thats why at our shop we are always getting told its the best coral in town, we have a good bunch of workers (5) and we have a good foundation of regulars who dont take the piss so sometimes we go that extra bit to keep them happy.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Sorry if I offended Billy. On the first point. I wasnt judging you. It just happens that in my experience that is more than often the case. On the second point, I wasnt quoting whether right or wrong it what was done, I was simply saying that Head Office would have no offense to it as this is what staff are trained to do. For the record Im more than happy to accomadate customers and am often frustrated myself about the lack of staff that actually seem to know anything about the betting industry. It can just be a tad irritating when you go out of your way to help someon eout and they still treat you like a piece of shit thats sole purpose in life is to serve them.

Sorry if I offended Billy. On the first point. I wasnt judging you. It just happens that in my experience that is more than often the case. On the second point, I wasnt quoting whether right or wrong it what was done, I was simply saying that Head Office would have no offense to it as this is what staff are trained to do. For the record Im more than happy to accomadate customers and am often frustrated myself about the lack of staff that actually seem to know anything about the betting industry. It can just be a tad irritating when you go out of your way to help someon eout and they still treat you like a piece of shit thats sole purpose in life is to serve them.
No problem mate, you didn't offend - it was more me taking it too personally. I did the same to be fair, I judged it that every punter is pleasant, and after thinking about it I know they aren't. With the H/O thing though, I just wish there was leeway on certain things. I remember "manager discretion", where's now a lot of the time their hands are tied.

Guys, i dont want to see this get an more personal than it is currently. Each of you have an opinion through personal experiences both side of the counter & therefore I have respect for both I find it laughable at times when cashiers dont actually know anything about betting/prices etc & therefore are just paying lip service to the role & may as well be selling you tomatoes from the local supermarket. I walked into a Hills shop after footie on Saturday & asked behind the counter who finished 5th in the National, the reply from a young lady was "we only paid the 1st 4 places", I said i know but most bookies paid 5 places. She couldnt help me any further, we had a bit of banter as i said "werent you watching it then!". At no point was any attempt to ask a collegaue or lookk through their screens etc to see if they could get me that detail. I shouldnt expect it but the personal service has disappeared over the last 20 years. Most bookies knew thier clients ways & preferences but with the new technology in the shops, they are "cold" places to be now all atmosphere has gone. I recall the days when you didnt actually have to check the NR's Before you placed your bet as the guvnor would bloody tell you if it wa running or not as they took a personal interest! Have some reasonable debate guys & avoid the fur flying:ok
Bowles, Bewleys Berry was 5th in the National ;)

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Ive worked in an independent bookmakers for just over three years and now having just started for a new company as manager i can understand both sides of this thread. As a new shop in our village i try to accomodate the punter to best i can but it really does offend me when they try and have you away it makes me think that they think your thick (although most cashiers these days are). For example during the big rush on saturday one regular who was in the shop all day wanted a bet on a particular horse cant remember what time but it was just after the national had finished. We operate a call over procedure in my shop just like on course. Low and behold id put the wrong horse on the slip i knew id done wrong as the horse on his slip was the next horse in the a-z list on the comp. So i voided the original ticket and issued the correct slip. 5 mins later the punter comes to the counter and demands he asked for a price. Now i can stand that when its 30 secs after i issued the slip no problem but when i look at the price screen the horse is 8s into 4s and the slip was his second one and im sure he must have checked it as i was rectifying an error to start with. Things like this get to me as we all know on here if you back a 4/1 shot at 8/1 there is only one winner. The punter knows and expects to get away with this behaviour and as im trying to build a business up i dont need the bad publicity. After reading this thread i feel for bawnmore and if anything like this would have happened in my shop i would most definatley pay you the money again not wanting the bad publicity. I would then give the cashier a scarborough warning and let them know i aint stupid and if they are at it which does seem the case let them know your watching them they should make sure that nothing ever happens like it again. The good thing about a independent is that i can put bets on after the off and override the prices. To try and please most my punters. It does get to me when they stand in shop all afternoon and still bet on the off. The major firms go mad when bets are on after the off and most void the winners or refuse but come on it doesnt take a rocket scientist to notice that even i 5 furlong sprint cant be run in 20secs after an off slip.

The good thing about a independent is that i can put bets on after the off and override the prices. To try and please most my punters. It does get to me when they stand in shop all afternoon and still bet on the off. The major firms go mad when bets are on after the off and most void the winners or refuse but come on it doesnt take a rocket scientist to notice that even i 5 furlong sprint cant be run in 20secs after an off slip.
Yes, the rigid rules they now have on this matter are ridiculous. They have a 15sec leeway on prices on the machine so why isn't there realistic leeway with regards to late bets. When I played in shops regularly I sometimes DID put bets on at the off, not late, but maybe 5sec or less before the off. The reason being, if a horse was drifting then I would want to wait as long as possible before taking my price, why should I take 11/2 (from opening show of 5/1) about horseX when they are at the post? I would lose too much money over the years. Most proper players I know also did the same - you have to look after no1. Although I understand, some are just unprepared for no reason and always rushing up late.

Re: betting shop rules, help needed Let's face facts, anybody who bets singles in a shop is not going to set the world ablaze with his/her intelligence. I've seen people take prices at Millersfield and Portman Park, where there's only one show, the same as EVERY other virtual race. I've had punters who reckon non-runners should be settled at evens. And there are people who still try it on by putting 6 or 7 horses on one slip, all untimed, with the winner of the 5 furlong sprint that has just finished, right in the middle. These people never give up. They think that staff are stupid, and have never seen it before, which a lot of cashiers these days haven't.