Cricket: Indian Premier League

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Indian Premier League - Cricket Preview Looks like an interesting tournament. Will follow with interest. Can't believe the cricket season starts back in the UK in a few weeks (pleased though) I said this last year but I hope to contribute a lot more the the domestic game and the threads this year

Re: Indian Premier League - Cricket Preview

Its easy to make a case for all the teams as they've all got good players but at 13/2 I think Mohali look value' date= they have a decent blend of sub-contintent batsmen, with the explosive Yuvraj and Sangakarra, plus the bowling attack will be spearheaded by the experienced Brett Lee and home players Irthan Pathan and Sreesanth. Glad to hear it Rat, I'm just writing my preview now. Will hope to have the threads up and running on Thursday, after the media day and the outcome of these player appeals on Wednesday.
Only problem with Mohali is Brett Lee leaves after 4 matches to play for Australia in the West Indies. That's the case with all Australian test stars. I'll come back to this with my main thoughts early next week.

Re: Indian Premier League - Cricket Preview

Only problem with Mohali is Brett Lee leaves after 4 matches to play for Australia in the West Indies. That's the case with all Australian test stars. I'll come back to this with my main thoughts early next week.
was not aware of that;) cheers mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Ok with this starting in about 36hrs time it's about time to give it some attention. I've gone through all 8 squads and picked out the India internationals who'll obviously be available throughout the tournament and also the international players and have done my best to find out their availability. A couple will be wrong and on some I've erred on the side of caution but I think I'm near enough. Bangalore Indian Internationals: Rahul Dravid Wasim Jaffer Zaheer Khan Praveen Kumar Anil Kumble (injured will miss 1st 2 matches) Internationals: Abdul Razzak (Bangladesh) - Misses 1st match only Mark Boucher (SA) - available throughout Shivnerine Chanderpaul (West Indies) - Mid May Jacques Kallis (SA) - available throughout Misbah-ul-Haq (Pakistan) - Misses 1st match only Ashley Noffke (Australia) - Plays 1st 4 matches Dale Steyn (SA) - Arrives April 25th Ross Taylor - Leaves on 1st May Cameron White - Until early May Chennai Indian Internationals: Mahendra Singh Dhoni Joginder Sharma Parthiv Patel Suresh Reina Internationals: Stephen Fleming (NZ) - available throughout Matthew Hayden (Australia) - Leaves on 1st May Mike Hussey (Australia) - Leaves on 1st May Albie Morkel (SA) - Arrives on 25th April Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Makhaya Ntini (SA) - Arrives on 25th April Jacob Oram (NZ) - Leaves on 1st May Deccan Chargers Indian Internationals: VVS Laxman Rohit Sharma RP Singh Internationals: Herschelle Gibbs (SA) - Available thoughout Adam Gilchrist (Australia) - Available throughout Shahid Afridi (Pakistan) - Misses 1st game Chamara Silva (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Scott Styris (NZ) - Available throughout Andrew Symonds (Australia) - Leaves on May 1st Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Nuwan Zoysa (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Delhi Indian Internationals: Virender Sehwag Gautam Gambhir Dinesh Karthik Manoj Tiwary Internationals: AB de Villiers (SA) - Available throughout Tillekeratne Dilshan (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Glenn McGrath (Australia) - Available throughout Farveez Maharoof (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Mohammad Asif (Pakistan) - Misses 1st game Shoaib Malik (Pakistan) - Misses 1st game Daniel Vettori (NZ) - Leaves 1st May Last 4 teams coming in next post.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Kings XI Punjab Indian Internationals: Yuvraj Singh Piyush Chawla Irfan Pathan Romesh Powar Sreesanth Internationals: James Hopes (Australia) - Leaves early May Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Simon Katich (Australia) - Leaves 1st May Brett Lee (Australia) - Leaves 1st May Shaun Marsh (Australia) - Leaves early May Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Ramnaresh Sarwan (West Indies) - Leaves mid May Kolkata Indian Internationals: Sourav Ganguly Agit Agarkar Murali Kartik Ishant Sharma Internationals: Chris Gayle (West Indies) - Leaves mid May David Hussey (Australia) - Leaves early May Brendon McCullum (West Indies) - Leaves 1st May Mohammad Hafeez (Pakistan) - Available throughout Ricky Ponting (Australia) - Leaves 1st May Salman Butt (Pakistan) - Misses 1st game Shoaib Akthar (Pakistan) - Available throughout (subject to his PCB ban) Tatenda Taibu (Zimbabwe) - Available throughout Umar Gul (Pakistan) - Misses 1st match Mumbai Indian Internationals: Sachin Tendulkar Harbhajan Singh Ashish Nehra Robin Uthappa Internationals: Loots Bosman (SA) - Available throughout Dilhara Fernando (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka) - Available throughout Shaun Pollock (SA) - Available throughout Ashwell Prince (SA) - Available throughout Dominic Thornely (Australia) - Available throughout Rajasthan Royals (Jaipur) Indian Internationals: Mohammad Kaif Munaf Patel Internationals: Shane Warne (Australia) - Available throughout Kamran Akmal (Pakistan) - Available throughout Justin Langer (Australia) - Not playing this season Darren Lehmann (Australia) - Until Graeme Smith shows up Dimitri Mascarenhas (England) - 2 weeks Morne Morkel (SA) - Not playing this season Graeme Smith (SA) - Arrives 25th April Sohail Tanvir (Pakistan) - Misses 1st game Shane Watson (Australia) - Available throughout Younis Khan (Pakistan) - Available throughout Hope that helps some people :ok

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Just the one outright for me for this event. Although I was torn between two - Kolkata and Delhi, I've gone with Delhi due to their Indian batting. Not sure if I've mentioned it already but only 4 non Indian's can be in any matchday side so Indian players could be the key. 2pts Delhi Daredevils to win IPL 8/1 Boylesports This tournament is sure to be a great spectacle with lots of big hitting and fast, frenetic action. To be fair to the BCCI they've got a competition with the world's very best players in it but having devised the rule that 7 home players must play for each side, they've kept their own cricketers as the focus. It's the Indian players which Delhi have which is why I'm siding with them to win this tournament. Virender Sehwag is absolutely tailor made for twenty20 cricket with his aggressive batting and his canny off spin. Dinesh Karthik has made a name for himself in the coloured clothing for India in the last 12 months while Gautam Gambhir was probably India's best batsman in the CB Series with Australia and Sri Lanka in Australia just after Christmas. Manoj Tiwary is on the fringes of the test squad with his leg spin too. The internationals in the side are excellent players too and although the likes of Daniel Vettori leaves this competition early I feel Delhi have all the bases covered. They've got a pair of watertight seamers in McGrath and Asif with Farveez Maharoof's bowling improving too and solid batting from de Villiers, Dilshan and Shoaib Malik. Perhaps most importantly of all though, with those last named 3 players, Delhi look to have the best fielding side in the competition and so many times twenty20 matches are won in the field. You can make a case for a few of the sides in this but Delhi tick enough boxes to get my cash at a big looking 8/1.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League I'm going to start off slowly in this event and see how the teams and grounds play for a match or two before getting really stuck in so unless something really stands out it'll just be match bets from me to begin with. 10pts Kolkata to beat Bangalore 8/11 Blue Square The opening match of the IPL sees Kolkata travel to Bangalore. Nerves and anticipation is sure to be really high but we should see a cracking game of cricket. Bangalore are missing a few players for this match while in the main Kolkata are close to full strength. For Bangalore, Anil Kumble is out injured, big hitting Misbah-ul-haq is in Bangladesh and Dale Steyn is in South Africa playing for his state side. Abdul Razzaq is another who is in Bangladesh. Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, Cameron White, Ross Taylor and Ashley Noffke are all available though as is Shivnerine Chanderpaul. Kolkata will only be missing Salman Butt and Umar Gul who are in Bangladesh with Pakistan. That means they are likely to field a top 4 of Chris Gayle, Sourav Ganguly, Ricky Ponting and Brendon McCullum, with David Hussey in there somewhere too. Ishant Sharma and Agit Agarkar will lead the bowling attack with Murali Kartik, easily the best spinner in the game, taking the pace off the ball. Kartik has lots of twenty20 experience in England so he should go well. That's a strong side on paper and if they perform anywhere near to their potential they'll take all the beating.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League

I'm going to start off slowly in this event and see how the teams and grounds play for a match or two before getting really stuck in so unless something really stands out it'll just be match bets from me to begin with. 10pts Kolkata to beat Bangalore 8/11 Blue Square The opening match of the IPL sees Kolkata travel to Bangalore. Nerves and anticipation is sure to be really high but we should see a cracking game of cricket. Bangalore are missing a few players for this match while in the main Kolkata are close to full strength. For Bangalore, Anil Kumble is out injured, big hitting Misbah-ul-haq is in Bangladesh and Dale Steyn is in South Africa playing for his state side. Abdul Razzaq is another who is in Bangladesh. Jacques Kallis, Mark Boucher, Cameron White, Ross Taylor and Ashley Noffke are all available though as is Shivnerine Chanderpaul. Kolkata will only be missing Salman Butt and Umar Gul who are in Bangladesh with Pakistan. That means they are likely to field a top 4 of Chris Gayle, Sourav Ganguly, Ricky Ponting and Brendon McCullum, with David Hussey in there somewhere too. Ishant Sharma and Agit Agarkar will lead the bowling attack with Murali Kartik, easily the best spinner in the game, taking the pace off the ball. Kartik has lots of twenty20 experience in England so he should go well. That's a strong side on paper and if they perform anywhere near to their potential they'll take all the beating.
beat me to the punch there Kev, fancy Kolkata to win this, the Indian Kolkata bowlers need to keep it reasonably tight, more interested in their explosive batting lineup.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Might get involved in some of the matches as it goes on but at the moment will leave it and see how things develop. My outright is: Kings Punjab 6/1 10 pts Very difficult to read this with so many different combinations of various elevens possible and yet at the same time, elevens that are not possible with the 7 indians required rule which for me makes the Indians available of most important and this franchise have what I think is a strong bunch of Indian players, particularly in its bowling. I can see a scenario where some teams due to the restriction will be struggling to find a fifth bowler in this or even a fourth but i do not see this with this franchise/team. Lee is probably the best fast bowler in the world and even though he and Mills will leave, the strong Indian bowlers, Pathan, Sreesanth, Chawla, Powar even Singh has played int. cricket. They may not be superstars but together they provide a strong unit and they do not have such an obvious weak link that others may have. The batting is pretty strong, the two Sri Lankans, Sangakarra, Jayawardene, Y. Singh (star of world 20 20), Sarwan, Katich. They cant all play at the same time but the first three can throughout and that provides a strong line up even if they maybe just the one batsman short. Overall in a difficult tournament to read I like the way this franchise is set up to the competitions, mainly the 7 indian rule which for me is vital and under Moody, who I rate as a coach, I think they can go well in this.

Good decision to put them in first :cow McCullum....superb, brilliant.:ok
:lol:lol:lol. If that decision wasn't bad enough, choosing to open with Dravid and Jaffer - 2 of the slower scorers in world cricket when chasing 223 was just as bad :lol.

dont quote me' date=' but not many sides have won when chasing under lights?[/quote'] Depends where in the world it is mate. Over here they don't but many think it's better to bat under lights in the sub continent to avoid dew problems in the field. The lights were irrelevant there though because both batted under lights.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League You really couldn't have got an easier 8/11 winner than Kolkata but I'm not complaining. +7.27 for the tournament for me. Going with both matches tomorrow.

Saturday 19 April 2008Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Kings XI Punjab v Chennai Super Kings (12:00BST) 2.021.90102% Details »
Hide « Kings XI Punjab v Chennai Super Kings
Delhi DareDevils v Rajasthan Royals (15:30BST) 1.702.40100% Details »
10pts Kings XI Punjab to beat Chennai Evs William Hill Kings XI Punjab, or Mohali as they represent come into this match as narrow outsiders and although I can see why, I still think they've every chance in what does look a pretty even contest. Both sides are packed with big hitters and this looks sure to be another great game of cricket as this event continues to unfold. Mohali are captained by 6 hitting Yuvraj Singh who can destroy any bowling attack on his own. Here though he'll be assisted by Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene and Ramnaresh Sarwan among others. Irfan Pathan can give it a whack too. Sreesanth and Brett Lee will lead the bowling attack and that's a real solid new ball pairing. Stick Pathan in after them along with the quality spin of Piyush Chawla and you've got a side who look strong right through. If this game was just about batting lineup's then Chennai would probably take this but it's not and it's the bowling which looks weak while Ntini and Albie Morkel are in South Africa. Matthew Hayden will open the innings and he could open with either Stephen Fleming or Mike Hussey. Jacob Oram and captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni, playing as a batsman here due to an injury, will provide fireworks down the order. The threat of Murali is negated somewhat by his Sri Lankan colleagues potentially facing him at the other end and although Joginder Sharma stepped up in the final over of the twenty20 world cup, he can still go for a few. Kings XI Punjab just look that bit stronger overall and look to have a much more realiable bowling attack and that's an attack which should see them to victory as slight underdogs. 10pts Delhi to beat Rajasthan Royals 4/6 Stan James It's Virender Sehwag vs Shane Warne in the 2nd of the matches on Saturday as Delhi host the Jaipur franchise. Delhi look to have the stronger side on paper and with home advantage they'll be confident of picking up a 1st game win. Shane Warne will doubtless have other ideas however. Delhi will be without AB de Villiers for this opener as he's back in South Africa playing their domestic twenty20. Mohammad Asif and Shoaib Malik are playing the final game in Bangladesh so they both miss out too. Delhi do have Indian international trio Sehwag, Gambhir and Khartik at their disposal though. Daniel Vettori and Glenn McGrath are trusted to keep things tight with the ball and then I'm sure Sehwag will turn to himself and his fellow spinners to see the game through. Farveez Maharoof misses out through injury. The Rajasthan Royals will be without Englishman Dimitri Mascarenhas (contrary to what cricinfo think!) and will also have to makedo without Kamran Akmal, Younis Khan and Sohail Tanvir. Graeme Smith is back in South Africa so we'll have to wait and see how he and Warne get on after years of dislike. Darren Lehmann comes in for Smith. Munaf Patel leads a very inexperienced bowling lineup at this level and it's that which could be a problem. Mohammad Kaif has lots of twenty20 experience in England and his side will need all his experience as they could pay for not splashing the cash in the auctions. Delhi are the better side in all 3 forms of the game on paper and that has to count for something and I'll take the daredevils to win this one.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Kings Punjab 11/10 10 pts I went for this franchise as an outright pick and think they have a solid team in all departments, something some of the other franchises perhaps do not have especially when you consider the 7 indian rule. It is possible Jayawardene may be left out as sarwan, sangakarra, hopes and lee could take up the foreign slots in the line up but that still leaves a strong line up, especially if you add yurvaj to the batting line which adds huge firepower not to mention the bowling line up boosted by good indians alone with Lee in the likes of Sreesanth and Chawla. Chennai have a very strong abig hitting batting line up but the bowling bar Murali looks weak and that could just be the difference.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League am also on King Punjab/Mohali outright, not over concerned by the defeat to chennai today, the difference between the two sides being the sparkling Mike Hussey, For Kings, the other Aussie, Hopes looked decent, bowled ok and looks to have a good eye, hit some biggies, opened the batting with the right intent.

am also on King Punjab/Mohali outright' date=' not over concerned by the defeat to chennai today, the difference between the two sides being the sparkling Mike Hussey, For Kings, the other Aussie, Hopes looked decent, bowled ok and looks to have a good eye, hit some biggies, opened the batting with the right intent.[/quote'] But he's another who leaves soon into the tournament. I'm going to watch the 1st game tomorrow without a bet as I'm not quite sure what I made of the Kolkata win on Friday. My heart says Deccan Chargers if I had to bet but I won't, I'll just watch what could be a classic. I'll put some thoughts up on the 2nd match in the morning.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League I will play the 2nd match today. Going to go with 2 plays. 10pts Bangalore to beat Mumbai 6/4 Sportingbet This is Mumbai's debut in the Indian Premier League and it looks as though their captain Sachin Tendulkar will be fit to play after missing the last two tests for India with an injury. Bangalore have already played and been comprehensively thrashed by Kolkata and it's that match which I think is why Bangalore are as big as 6/4. Mumbai have Harbhajan Singh and Robin Uthappa at their disposal who are Indian but then the side is a bit inexperienced. The international spaces will be filled by Sanath Jayasuriya, Shaun Pollock, Dilhara Fernando and likely to be Luke Ronchi the big hitting wicket keeper who gets the 4th spot. Lasith Malinga misses out with injury. Their batting looks strong but equally could be exposed. Bangalore will have learnt from that 1st game where they walked straight into an inspired knock from Brendon McCullum. They are unlikely to encounter an innings like that again and take that innings out, the match wasn't too bad. Praveen Kumar and Zaheer Khan will open their bowling, both are India internationals with Jacques Kallis backing them up. Sunil Joshi looked tidy with his left arm spin. Shivnerine Chanderpaul will come into the side in place of Ashley Noffke who is injured and Chanderpaul will probably open as Bangalore can't open with Dravid and Jaffer in this sort of cricket. Kallis, Boucher and even Kumar can all play big innings. I don't see this match being as one sided as the odds suggest. Tendulkar may play without being fully fit while Jayasuriya can be hit or miss. I'm sure Bangalore will perform better with the bat than they did the other night and I think they can edge a close one here. 1pt S.Pollock Top Mumbai Batsman 18/1 Boylesports As we know Shaun Pollock is a big hitting batsman and with this match playing played under lights, it could be that a top order fails and if it's Mumbai's which fails then Pollock can come in and steal the top score. That said however, it's not beyond the realms that Sachin sticks Pollock in up the order at 3 or 4 to provide some fireworks with the bat. When he connects, these boundaries are unlikely to be big enough and Pollock looks a huge price wherever he bats. Small stakes only but well worth a bet.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Bangalore did win a close match which I'm happier with than normal because I had to think about it for a while before committing to them after Friday night. +14 for the day because although Pollock came in and did what I expected him to, he came in just a bit too late. +17.94 for the tournament now. Will put up my thoughts on tomorrow's match later once I've had a decent look at it.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Decided not to bet in tomorrow's match. I fully expect Kings XI Punjab to win but at a best price of 8/15 I'm not interested. I'll just take a watching brief here as I can't be backing Jaipur while they are without Smith, Dimi and their Pakistan trio, equally the margins between winning and losing a twenty20 match is so small that I'll never back a side at 8/15 in this format. I'm happy with where I am in this tournament and will wait for another day for my next bet :ok.

Decided not to bet in tomorrow's match. I fully expect Kings XI Punjab to win but at a best price of 8/15 I'm not interested. I'll just take a watching brief here as I can't be backing Jaipur while they are without Smith' date=' Dimi and their Pakistan trio, equally the margins between winning and losing a twenty20 match is so small that I'll never back a side at 8/15 in this format. I'm happy with where I am in this tournament and will wait for another day for my next bet :ok.[/quote'] looks a good decision Kev, Kings are about to lose again to Rajasthan Royals, Shane Watson looks like he's going to steer them home, tipped Kings Punjab to win the event overall, not looking such a good bet at the moment, long way to go, they need a win quickly, to kick start their Tournament though. :cry

looks a good decision Kev' date=' Kings are about to lose again to Rajasthan Royals, Shane Watson looks like he's going to steer them home, tipped Kings Punjab to win the event overall, not looking such a good bet at the moment, long way to go, they need a win quickly, to kick start their Tournament though. :cry[/quote'] Turned out to be a wise decision for sure. That's the beauty of twenty20 cricket for me. Punjab XI knew they were favourites and had the better batsmen but none of them took responsibility other than Yuvraj and that was that. He's inexperienced as a captain but he must've played under lights at Jaipur before and known dew is a problem late at night. Happy I left that game alone. I wouldn't worry or be confident about any outright yet. Still loads of games to go and you only need to be in the top 4 to progress so nobody is out of it by any means. Going to play Tuesday's game. 10pts Delhi to beat Deccan Chargers 2.48 Betfair Currently £762 available. This match up is interesting. It's a bowling side vs a big hitting side and in the conditions this match is going to be played in, I have to favour the bowling side which is Delhi. Delhi had a good win in their opening match against Jaipur while the Deccan Chargers were getting beat on an awful pitch at Eden Gardens. They'll be hoping that the pitch is better at their own ground and I'm sure it will be. The Deccan Chargers look all set to bring Shahid Afridi into their side to join Adam Gilchrist and Andrew Symonds in the side. Scott Styris is likely to be the 4th international player with RP Singh, Rohit Sharma and VVS Laxman providing good home quality. Delhi are setting their side up the other way. They have put a lot of emphasis on keeping it tight in the field and have some really good international bowlers. So good in fact that it's quite possible that the now available Mohammad Asif won't get a game here. Glenn McGrath, Farveez Maharoof and Daniel Vettori are set to lead the bowling. Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, and Dinesh Karthik will provide good Indian batting while Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik provides a very safe option with the bat and the ball if necessary. Shikhar Dhawan hit a great 52 off 41 in the 1st match and looks a talent. Conditions may well dictate who wins this and it will be interesting to see McGrath going against Gilchrist and Symonds but Delhi have a well balanced side and I just favour their solid bowling over Deccan Chargers' explosive batting with this match not starting until 8.00pm local time.

top shout again Kev' date=' great price, easy victory for Sehwags boys.:clap[/quote'] Cheers mate. They look the business to me and there's still AB de Villiers to come into that squad :eek. +14.06 today after commission which puts my tournament total up to +32.00pts. Will look at tomorrow's match in more detail later this evening.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League No bet for me tomorrow. I've been leaning towards Mumbai but Tendulkar still isn't fit so Harbhajan will captain again and I wasn't that impressed with his captaincy the other night. Dwayne Bravo strengthens the Indians side which is a positive but that doesn't really balance it. As for Chennai, they're a side I like the look of but take Hussey out of their score on Saturday and it's not quite the score it looks. To many doubts for me in a match which could go either way and I can't get a definitive feel for either so I'll take a watching brief for this one.