Cricket: Indian Premier League

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Chennai vs Mumbai Think Chennai are little on the short side at 4/7, so have decided to turn my attention to the top runner scorer market, with Tendulkar out for Mumbai, it may fall on the exciting Robin Uthappa to take up the mantle. For Chennai, I think Matthew Hayden could dominate the Mumbai attack from the start and rack up a decent score, Hussey will again prove popular in this market after his ton as will big hitting Skipper Dhoni who failed lto. pick 1; Robin Uthappa @ 9/2 top Mubai batsman pick 2; Matt Hayden @ 3/1 top Chennai batsman. small stakes, just for some interest, this afternoon.As i've got the afternoon off work.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League

Chennai vs Mumbai Think Chennai are little on the short side at 4/7, so have decided to turn my attention to the top runner scorer market, with Tendulkar out for Mumbai, it may fall on the exciting Robin Uthappa to take up the mantle. For Chennai, I think Matthew Hayden could dominate the Mumbai attack from the start and rack up a decent score, Hussey will again prove popular in this market after his ton as will big hitting Skipper Dhoni who failed lto. pick 1; Robin Uthappa @ 9/2 top Mubai batsman 2nd 43 runs :wall pick 2; Matt Hayden @ 3/1 top Chennai batsman. 1st 81 runs :dude small stakes, just for some interest, this afternoon.As i've got the afternoon off work.
it was definately too close to call
Chennai Super Kings208/5 (20/20 ov)
Mumbai Indians202/7 (20.0/20 ov)
Hayden smashed 81 for the hosts and Uthappa scored 43 only to be beaten by Nayar who got 45, was hoping his stumps would get rearranged in the late thirty's. Nevermind.:lol

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Another game I'm leaving alone tomorrow I think although I'll be around tomorrow so I might change my mind. At some point in this tournament, Afridi, Gilchrist and Symonds are going to seriously catch fire and that's the main thing putting me off backing Jaipur. Graeme Smith is likely to debut for them though and Warnie's captain so it's worth considering them I guess. I'm certainly not interested in Deccan at 8/15 despite their batting promise.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Deccan VS Rajasthan looking at the top runscorer market again today. Deccan Adam Gilchrist @ 7/2 6pts Rohit Sharma @ 6/1 4pts Rajasthan Kamran Akmal @ 9/2 5pts Mohammad Kaif @ 9/2 5pts spreading a bit more with two batsmen selected per team.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Warniee Warnieeeeeeeeeeee :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy (though what an utterly awful decision to bowl Symonds last over, absolutely crazy, never understand why any captain bowls a spinner last over)

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Another great game in this tournament earlier. Little bit gutted I didn't go with my hunch for Jaipur but it saved me a load of anxiety at least :lol. Having not had a bet for a couple of days, I'm betting on Friday's match. 10pts Mumbai to beat Kings XI Punjab 11/10 Blue Square This match sees two sides who are yet to win in this IPL battle it out at Mohali. It also sees a likely battle of India's greatest star against one of India's latest stars as Sachin Tendulkar leads his Mumbai side against Yuvraj Singh's Mohali team. Mumbai were unlucky last time out as they came just short of chasing down 209. On Monday, Jaipur easily chased down Kings Punjab's 166. Kings XI Punjab will be hoping their Sri Lankan duo can score some runs, particularly Jayawardene. They could actually bring Ramnaresh Sarwan into the side but I'd expect them to stick with the Sri Lankan duo. James Hopes will continue to open with Yuvraj coming in down the order. With the ball, all eyes will be on Brett Lee. Piyush Chawla, the young leggie is having a shocker of a series and if Mumbai bat 2nd the dew factor could negate his spin again. Sreesanth will doubtless blow up at sometime in this match, particularly if Habhajan is at the other end while Hopes has been pretty expensive so far in this tournament. Mumbai hope to welcome Sachin Tendulkar back into their side and he's a racing certainty to replace Luke Ronchi at the top of the innings. He'll open alongside Sanath Jayasuriya with Robin Uthappa batting at 3. Dwayne Bravo, Ronchi and Shaun Pollock can all whack it down the order while there could be a promotion up for the order for Abhishek Nayar who was so nearly the hero in Chennai. Shaun Pollock is bound to be as tight as ever with the ball while Dwayne Bravo, Ashish Nehra and Harbhajan can all be hard to get away. This Kings XI Punjab side have flattered to deceive a bit in this tournament so far and their bowling attack continues to go round the park. The dew will play a part here but while both batting sides are evenly matched, Mumbai have a clear edge in the bowling at the minute and I'll go with them to get their IPL up and running with their 1st win.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Going for my outright pick Kings Punjab 4/5 10 pts. They have been pretty poor so far especially in the bowling department and whilst there is time for that to change they need to start doing it quickly but against another side without a win, there maybe a good opportunity. I picked Punjab outright as I felt their indian bowlers would hold them in good stead but that has not been the case and when Lee leaves, their bowling will get weaker which is a hige concern. I felt the likes of Sreesanth, Pathan (actually not done too badly), Chawla, Powar and V Singh would provide a strong ebough basis to the attack but they have been pretty poor and Powar and Singh who after all are international players, have not even played which I felt was strange. That may well change today with one of the two, if not both being line up for a call up and that should provide that extra bit of depth to the bowling that has been missing so far. The danger is that by putting of them in the team the batting can be weakened but I dont see that as the case as i look at someone like Mota, who must be a bowler coming in at no 10, yet only bowled one over in the last match and two in the first (one wicket but expensive), surely Powar and Singh even though they are not world beaters would contribute more and therefore boost the team. Punjab's batting didnt really fire last time but they played well enough in the first game and there are signs that Yurvaj was coming into form which is very important in the last game, Sangakarra, hopes and the other foreign player (could be sarwan) look a strongish line up on paper. Mumbai could be boosted by Tendulkar but that is not for certain and without him, I think that gives Punjab a slight edge on the batting side of things, despie Mumbai's brave attempt the other night. Mumbai bowling also looks a little bit weak and unlike Punjab i dont think they quite have the resources to change that without changing the dynamics of their team and considering that I think Kings Punjab may have a slight edge if they just change their team a touch and that gives them the selection.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Mumbai picked the wrong day for the worst batting performance of the tournament. Absolutely shocking really. Were never in that. Back to +22 for the tournament but I'm playing both matches tomorrow. 10pts Kolkata to beat Chennai Evs Totesport Two of the three sides with a 100% record clash in the 1st match of the day which comes from Chennai. Mahendra Singh Dhoni's Chennai take on Saurav Ganguly's Kolkata side in what promises to be a high scoring encounter. Whoever wins this match will take top spot on their own as Delhi don't play on Saturday. Mahendra Singh Dhoni may opt to go into this match with an unchanged side. That would mean Matthew Hayden, who hit a brilliant 81 last time out will open with Hussey coming in at 3. Both will be playing their last match for the Chennai franchise here. The captain would bat at 4 and there's still Suresh Reina and Jacob Oram to come in after them. With the ball, Chennai will be hoping Muttiah Muralitharan can take advantage of a day game to spin them to success. Kolkata have a very explosive top 4. Saurav Ganguly will be partnered by Brendon McCullum at the top of the order with Ricky Ponting (another who plays his last match here) coming in at 3 and David Hussey at 4. Mohammad Hafeez could bat 5 but he's not certain to play. The reason he's not certain to play is Kolkata could choose to bring Umar Gul into their bowling attack. He was the top wicket taker at the Twenty20 world cup last year so it would be folly to leave him out against such a good batting lineup. Also likely to be in the bowling attack is the explosive Ishant Sharma, Agit Agarkar and spinner Murali Kartik. That looks a top notch bowling attack and if the big 4 get big runs Kolkata will be really tough to beat. Under lights on Wednesday Chennai just about defended 208 against Mumbai so this promises to be high scoring but Kolkata's special bowling attack could prove harder to get away and that could be the difference when all is said and done. It's that reason why I'm taking the away side here. 10pts Bangalore to beat Rajasthan Royals Evs Stan James Both these sides won their last match. Bangalore won theirs much easier than Rajasthan won theirs but winning is all that counts. This match sees Rahul Dravid up against Shane Warne in the captaincy stakes while South African duo Mark Boucher and Jacques Kallis go up against their international captain Graeme Smith. Bangalore were pretty impressive in their last match after kopping a right beating against Kolkata in their opener. They'll go in with Chanderpaul and Dravid opening again with Jacques Kallis in at 3. Massive hitting Misbah-ul-Haq is now available and he's likely to come into the side at 4 in place of Ross Taylor with Mark Boucher floating up the order. Zaheer Khan and Praveen Kumar will open the bowling with Jacques Kallis backing them up. Sunil Joshi is likely to offer the spin. Rajasthan are likely to open up with Graeme Smith and Yusuf Pathan with Kamran Akmal rested so either Younis Khan or Sohail Tanvir get a game. Shane Watson will bat 3 with Mohammad Kaif at 4. Warne aside the bowling looks a bit weak which is why Tanvir is likely to get the nod in this one. Shane Watson can be ok but he's usually a gimme for 10 an over in all truth. Warne is no stranger to changing things though so Yusuf Pathan could bowl his spin early in the piece if needed. I'll never write a Shane Warne side off lightly. Having seen him 1st hand captain Hampshire for the past few seasons I know only too well how he can turn a game but Bangalore look like they have too many options for Warne's side here. Rajasthan were extremely lucky to beat Deccan on Thursday and Bangalore just look the more reliable side and with home advantage I'll go with them.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League 2 shocking batting performances from the two sides I backed today wipes the profit down to just +2pts but that's twenty20 I guess. I'm confident Delhi, by far and away the best side in this thing for me, won't make that mistake though. 10pts Delhi to beat Kings XI Punjab 10/11 Boylesports The Kings XI finally got their 1st IPL win in their last match with a win over Mumbai Indians on Friday but they face a totally different kettle of fish in Delhi in the early match on Sunday. Delhi look the real deal to me in this competition. Normally twenty20 matches are about the batting lineup's but I think this one could be about the bowlers as both sides have very good bowling attacks. I see no real reason why Kings XI would change their side for this one. Sarwan may drop out if James Hopes has recovered from the shits but other than that it should be as we were. Lots rest on Kumar Sangakkara with the bat. He was majestic on Friday night. With the ball well Brett Lee set that win up with his opening burst and he's sure to give it his all in his last game of the tournament. Sreesanth is lively while Pathan is solid. Piyush Chawla finally bowled well but his figures were helped by a number of sitting ducks at the other end. Delhi amazingly have played two matches and have only lost two wickets so far. Nobody below number 3 Shikhar Dhawan has batted so far but Shoaib Malik and Dinesh Khartik are there if needed. Virender Sehwag lit up Delhi's last match and will be sure to come out and take Brett Lee on. With the ball, Kings XI's batsmen are going to have to try and score off Glenn McGrath and Mohammad Asif 1st up and then once they've got past those, Farveez Maharoof will attempt to tie them up. This is a day match so it should come down to the best side winning. Delhi are the complete package. Great batting lineup, superb and stingy bowling lineup and the best side in the field. That all signifies an away win to me. Not going to bet on the other match. Obviously Mumbai could well be on their 3rd choice captain with Harbhajan suspended for slapping Sreesanth on Friday. I'm sure there's many in the cricket world who've wanted to do that :lol. Shaun Pollock is likely to captain Mumbai with the soap opera of Tendulkar's fitness still ongoing. And even though they've 4 seriously big hitting batsmen in Gilchrist, Afridi, Symonds and Sharma I can't be backing a Deccan side without a bowling attack and who've lost their 1st 3 at odds on so that's an obvious no bet.

Obviously Mumbai could well be on their 3rd choice captain with Harbhajan suspended for slapping Sreesanth on Friday.
How about the sobbing afterwards?!! :rollin:rollin Us non-Europeans laugh at soccer players, but that's probably the softest thing I've ever seen on a sporting field!! Funny tho! :lol

How about the sobbing afterwards?!! :rollin:rollin Us non-Europeans laugh at soccer players, but that's probably the softest thing I've ever seen on a sporting field!! Funny tho! :lol
It really was funny :lol. I've seen a possible punishment for Harbhajan could be a life ban :eek. Seems a bit extreme :unsure. Another loser for me today. Teams seem to have lost the art of setting a score. So many men caught on boundaries in the last few days when the team is already in trouble. It's poor cricket really. -8 for the tournament now. I wanted to bet tomorrow to try and end this losing run I'm on but Chennai are just too short for me. It's the last match before Hayden, Oram and Hussey leave so I'm expecting fireworks from them but as I've said before in this thread I don't like backing teams at 4/7 in twenty20. Hopefully over the coming days we'll get some wrong prices with players coming and going :ok

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Change the above. Just seen a ridiculous top bat price. 5pts Misbah-ul-Haq Top Bangalore Batsman 6/1 Blue Square Misbah-ul-Haq loves twenty20. He has a stunning record in the event and was a matter of inches away from winning the world cup for his country last September. Internationally in twenty20 Misbah averages an outrageous 67.60 while domestically he only averages 56.91. He has 8 twenty20 50's and a century to his name from his total of 30 innings so he knows how to bat in this discipline and obviously thrives in it. He comes here off the back of an 87 not out from just 53 balls in a twenty20 international against Bangladesh so he comes here in form. Being from Pakistan he'll be used to the type of wicket he'll be batting on here too. Bangalore don't really have a big hitter. Ross Taylor would probably be the biggest they have but there's talk of him opening the innings which wouldn't suit him. Misbah will come in at 4 and looks to have every chance. The Chennai bowling isn't that great so 6/1 is way too big on arguably the best batsman going in this format and is well worth medium stakes.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Harbhajan-Sreesanth spat Harbhajan banned for 11 IPL games Cricinfo staff April 28, 2008 Harbhajan Singh has been handed a 11-match ban following his altercation with Sreesanth at the end of Mumbai Indians' match against Kings XI Punjab on Friday. It means he is all but out of the first edition of the IPL - unless Mumbai reach the semi-final of the tournament, which looks highly unlikely at this point. Sreesanth was let off with a warning after video evidence showed Harbhajan to have slapped him without any provocation. Harbhajan also faces separate action from the Indian board, which has asked him to explain, "as a contracted player", his role in the incident which came to light after Sreesanth broke down in front of the cameras. Niranjan Shah, the BCCI secretary, said on Monday that Sudhir Nanavati, a lawyer, has been appointed to conduct a "preliminary inquiry" and submit a report "within 15 days" to Sharad Pawar, the BCCI president, who will refer the findings to the board's disciplinary committee for possible action. Farookh Engineer, the former Indian wicketkeeper who was the match referee, fined Harbhajan 100% of his match fee for Friday's game. Lalchand Rajput, the coach of the Mumbai side, has also been found guilty of a level 2 offense and fined 15% of his match fee. "Rajput was right behind Harbhajan when the incident took place. He didn't take any step to restrain him. He has been fined 15% of his match fee," said Lalit Modi, the commissioner of the IPL who is also a vice-president of the BCCI. IS Bindra, a member of the IPL governing council who is also president of the Punjab Cricket Association which hosted Friday's match at Mohali, had told Cricinfo Harbhajan faced a minimum ban of 10 IPL games

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Bangalore Vs Chennai Chennai are going great guns in the IPL, sitting pretty at the top, they've got plenty of fire power with the bat, Hayden/Hussey/Dhoni/Raina have all looked decent at times, however their bowling options dont look the best, the likes of Kallis/Boucher/Haq could hurt them. Nothing major but at the prices will take a chance on the home team. Bangalore win @ 6/4 top chennai batsman MS Dhoni @ 5/1 top bangalore batsman Cameron White @ 6/1

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League I'm really lost with this Bangalore franchise. Ok he hit a pretty quick 50 tonight but Jaffer and Dravid can not play in the same 20 over team and expect to win. For the life of me I can't work out why Misbah wasn't playing. Taylor aside there isn't a big hitter in that team. Really poor stuff from them for me.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League I see your point mate, although Jaffer got 50, his style is not geared up for 20/20, the guy is primarily an opening Test match batsman, he doesn't even feature in India's ODI side. VVS Laxman is a similar type player aswell, decent stroke maker but hasn't got that explosive ability like a Matt Hayden would have.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League confident the Knight Riders will brush Mumbai aside tommorrow, will check team news before having a bet though, Mumbai are side in crisis with the recent Harbajhan 'Slap' incident and Icon player Mr Tendulkar struggling for fitness, if he returns could be the boost they need.

I see your point mate' date=' although Jaffer got 50, his style is not geared up for 20/20, the guy is primarily an opening Test match batsman, he doesn't even feature in India's ODI side. VVS Laxman is a similar type player aswell, decent stroke maker but hasn't got that explosive ability like a Matt Hayden would have.[/quote'] Yep. Laxman gets away with it though with the explosive batting around him. Sometimes it's better him getting singles and giving the strike to the big hitters. They know wickets won't tumble at both ends so can go for it a bit with good results as Gilly showed yesterday. For Bangalore, the perfect case was in their opener when chasing 220 odd to win out walked Jaffer and Dravid to open!! As I said before how Misbah can't get into that side I will never know.

For Bangalore, the perfect case was in their opener when chasing 220 odd to win out walked Jaffer and Dravid to open!! As I said before how Misbah can't get into that side I will never know.
maybe they thought they had 50 overs to knock the 220 off:lol Old Misbah had a very good Tournament in the 20/20 World Cup aswell. Do you play much Kev? My season starts on saturday if it stops raining that is.:wall

maybe they thought they had 50 overs to knock the 220 off:lol Old Misbah had a very good Tournament in the 20/20 World Cup aswell. Do you play much Kev? My season starts on saturday if it stops raining that is.:wall
Made his name there didn't he mate? Have to admit I'd not heard of him before then but looking at what he's done recently, in tests and ODI's as well how he's not in a team ahead of Chanderpaul who played the last match I'll never know. I used to play a lot when I was a kid but my knee is fcuked so I can't now which is a real pain because as I'm sure you've gathered I absolutely love the game :sad.

confident the Knight Riders will brush Mumbai aside tommorrow' date=' will check team news before having a bet though, Mumbai are side in crisis with the recent Harbajhan 'Slap' incident and Icon player Mr Tendulkar struggling for fitness, if he returns could be the boost they need.[/quote'] I agree mate. I think Kolkata will win but I can't even begin to consider backing them at 8/15 on that Eden Gardens wicket and even more so after their awful effort with the bat the other day.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Kolkata Vs Mumbai Agree about the price, thought the knight riders would be little bigger than 1.56 on BF.:eek Still only an outside chance Tendulkar will make the game aswell.Looking for Ponting to sign off in style and Uthappa to build on his consistent form. top run scorer market; Kolkata Ricky Ponting @ 4/1 Mumbai Robin Uthappa @ 4/1

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Going to bet tomorrow. Slightly skinny odds but I think Delhi will be too good. 10pts Delhi to beat Bangalore 4/7 Coral Both these sides come into this match having lost their last game so both will be wanting victory here to get their IPL's back on track. Defeat for Delhi wasn't that bad on Sunday as they lost to a rampant Kings XI side. Bangalore had every chance of beating leaders Chennai on Monday but a late innings collapse put paid to that. Delhi will look to their Indian players to fire with the bat. It was their batting which let them down against the Kings XI. Some silly dismissals at bad times didn't help them but they have enough experience to learn from that. Sehwag will lead the side with Gambhir opening alongside him. Dinesh Khartik briefly showed what he can do in the last game and one of Shoaib Malik or AB de Villiers will give the batting further explosion. Daniel Vettori is likely to replace Farveez Maharoof with the ball which should make Delhi watertight. Glenn McGrath and Mohammad Asif are a great new ball pairing. I'll be honest and admit I haven't been able to work out Bangalore but it looks as though they will play both Jaffer and Dravid again here which can't be right. I said it in the last game but I would expect Misbah now has to play here with Bangalore slowly getting cut adrift. Their bowling has taken on extra power with Dale Steyn's arrival. He along with Zaheer and Kumar gives the Royal Challengers a good seam attack. Their bowling ends there though. Delhi have home advantage here and I maintain they still have the best all round side in the competition despite their batting blip on Sunday. Bangalore are jekyll and hyde but if Misbah gets a game and he tees off they'll have a chance but that would be taking a risk to back Bangalore on that assumption so I'll play safe and stick with Delhi.