Cricket: Indian Premier League

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Never really mattered which way round Delhi did it they were always way too good. How can you score of McGrath and Vettori :eek. I still don't get Bangalore. They seem persistant in wanting to play Dravid, Jaffer and Kallis in which case they've surely got to get rid of Boucher and stick Dravid behind the stumps to get Misbah into that side. I suppose Misbah will now take Taylor's place but then they've still got the 3 slow scorers to deal with :\. Still I shouldn't complain today as Delhi's win today takes me back to -2.3pts for the tournament. Going with a bet in both matches tomorrow. 1pt D.Mascarenhas Top Jaipur Runscorer 14/1 Betfred Betfred seem to have priced this up as if Dimi isn't going to play but he is out there now and the indications are he will play. We get a refund if he doesn't but he and Warne are such good mates I'm sure Dimi will play. The other bookies price Dimi up at 5/1 and 6/1 so immediately Betfred are way out. We all know what Mascarenhas can do. He showed it against Yuvraj at The Oval last year and then in New Zealand off Jeetan Patel. I've looked at Jaipur's likely batting lineup and Dimi is likely to bat at 5 or 6 so he should get a few overs with the willow. The speed he scores at and on these short boundaries he'll have every chance and at a price that's clearly wrong, the Hampshire all rounder is the pick for the home side. 10pts Deccan Chargers to beat Kings XI Punjab 8/11 Boylesports Deccan Chargers finally got off the mark on Sunday when a majestic Adam Gilchrist knock saw off Mohali. Kings XI have gone ok since losing their 1st two but the real test for them is in this match. Both sides have lost players to international duty and it's who can deal with their losses the best which will decide the winner here. Deccan have lost Andrew Symonds but the loss is negated somewhat by having Herschelle Gibbs available. Should the Chargers want a more all round option then Scott Styris could be the one to fill Symonds' shoes. Rohit Sharma and Shahid Afridi conclude a very strong batting lineup. Chaminda Vaas could be back to partner RP Singh with the ball. Kings XI have lost Brett Lee and their hero from the last match Simon Katich. They've both flown back to Australia and certainly in Brett Lee's case there's no replacement. Ramnaresh Sarwan may get Katich's place but the bowling attack suddenly has a big hole in it without Lee. It's sure to be an Indian who fills the spot because the four overseas stars are likely to be batters. Irfan Pathan and maybe Chawla can keep things tight but Sreesanth can be anything and then the last two bowlers could be anyone. I've a feeling Deccan will really start expressing themselves after their win on Sunday and with Gilchrist in the form he is backed up by some real batting talent should be fail I think Deccan are good things for this. A few doubts remain over the Punjab side so I'll go with Laxman's men in the evening match.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Deccan Chargers Vs Kings Punjab Think Kev hit the nail on the head with his analysis, im swerving the outright market again and plunging into the more speculative run scorer market, Top Deccan batsman - Shahid Afridi @ 7/1 :eek Top Kings XI batsman - Kumar Sangakkara @ 7/2 With Afridi you know you'll either get a big score off not many balls or a rubbish effort were he'll get knocked over pretty quickly, depending on circumstances, he may bat no 3 today, therefore at least ensuring he has plenty of time out in the middle, at 7's am prepared to take a punt on him. Cannot avoid Sangakkara, think 7/2 is value for a guy who has been head and shoulders above his team mates, with some important contributions, hopefully the stylish left hander can continue his fine run of form today.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Not getting much luck out of the Kings XI in this tournament. Who'd have thought Katich and Marsh would hit 70 odd's to win matches for them :\. -10 today cos Dimi was left out. -12.3 for the tournament now. 10pts Delhi to beat Chennai 10/11 Boylesports Stage 2 of the IPL gets going in ernest in this match. We're still in the league stage but things get a lot different now as test players begin to leave their franchises and teams having to cope with that. Chennai, arguably the hardest hit of all the sides in the IPL begin their new setup with a match against 3rd placed Delhi. Chennai have lost Jacob Oram, Matthew Hayden and Mike Hussey who have all left to resume international commitments. Murali is still there though and Stephen Fleming and Albie Morkel will come into the side. Makhaya Ntini will take the new ball in Oram's absence. It means Suresh Raina is likely to go up to number 3 in the batting order. Manpreet Gony, Ntini's new ball partner could miss out with a virus. Delhi only lose Daniel Vettori and he only played two matches anyway. Farveez Maharoof looks a racing certainty to regain his place in the side although AB de Villiers could yet come in to bolster the batting. Glenn McGrath and Mohammad Asif will take the new ball. Gautam Gambhir is in great form right now and Delhi will look to him to lead the way with the bat. Too many doubts over Chennai to be confident of the hosts. Albie Morkel can be dynamite but he can also be dross and if he fails then Chennai only have a 5 man batting lineup which shouldn't be enough to win this. Delhi quietly go above their business and are solid in all areas and can come out winners here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League That was much better. Delhi won that pretty comfortably and went top in the process which does my outright bet no harm. It's looking like 4 from 5 for the playoffs at the minute although the winners of the 1st match tomorrow cling onto the pack. Back to -3.2 for the tournament now. I'm going to chance Bangalore tomorrow. 10pts Bangalore to beat Deccan Chargers 6/4 VC These sides come into this match with 1 win from their 5 matches and both sides have claimed their win against the Mumbai Indians. Both lose last time out and will see this match as all or nothing. The winners will cling onto the playoff chasers while the losers will find it very difficult to make the final 4. Bangalore have finally got a bowling attack of note. Dale Steyn and Zaheer Khan up front are a top notch pairing and Praveen Kumar, Anil Kumble and Jacques Kallis provide an international back up. Now if they'd just get Misbah into this side they'd look a real solid outfit. I'm reluctant to suggest they'll play Misbah here as I've assumed they will for the last 3 matches but they haven't. Ross Taylor has left for England now so he doesn't play. Deccan Chargers lost to the Kings XI on Thursday and they'll be without Andrew Symonds who has left. Scott Styris could come in but it's likely Herschelle Gibbs will continue. Adam Gilchrist has only got going once but it was a match winning innings and Laxman will be hoping the Aussie gets going here. Afridi is due a score while Rohit Sharma chases the orange cap here. Deccan can't seem to stop their opposition scoring runs though and with no real back up to RP Singh and Zoysa other than Afridi it's imperative runs are put on the board. By all accounts Deccan flew into Bangalore quite late so won't have practiced before the match. For some reason this Deccan batting hasn't clicked yet and with Bangalore having a powerful looking attack the odds would have to be on that continuing and at the prices I think it's worthing taking a chance of Bangalore's batting backing up their bowlers.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Kings XI Punjab Vs Kolkata Knight Riders This looks like a good opportunity for Punjab to keep their winning ways going against a Kolkata team missing two key batsmen, Ricky Ponting and Brendan McCullum will not be available, a big loss.After losing to Warne's Rajasthan, Ganguly and his Kolkata side have come under alot of pressure, the skipper was fined 10% of his match fee, for his part in the dispute. Punjab on the other hand are in fine form with the bat, Aussie Shaun Marsh hitting a blistering 80 in the last match, add Sangakarra and Yuvraj Singh for a very exciting top order. In the bowling department, Kolkata might have a slight edge, Ishant Sharma is decent and Umar Gul is a diciplined line and length bowler. With Brett Lee missing, Punjab will rely on Pathan and Sreesanth, to keep things tight, its encouraging leg-spinner Piyush Chawla has begun to show more control, he looks capable of taking more wickets, wouldn't be surprised to see a second spinner, in the form of portly Ramesh Power get a game. Kings Punjab WIN @ 8/11

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Good shout mate. Bangalore winning has made me +11.8pts for the tournament. Going with 1 tomorrow. Quite late though so not a huge writeup but I've pretty much said my thoughts on both sides in the thread already. 10pts Rajasthan to beat Chennai 8/11 Blue Square Rajasthan are on a real roll at the minute while Chennai's batting losses have depleted them like I thought they would. They've still got a fairly strong side on paper but a couple of batters are all or nothing and Warne will come up with ideas for them. Graeme Smith is a key cog in the batting for Rajasthan as he's had a lot of success in this format over the world. Rajasthan have still got Mascarenhas who can play if they wish but it could be as you were last time which suggests the home side are a happy side and with Warne's canny captaincy I expect them to notch another 2pts here.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League

Good shout mate. Bangalore winning has made me +11.8pts for the tournament. Going with 1 tomorrow. Quite late though so not a huge writeup but I've pretty much said my thoughts on both sides in the thread already. 10pts Rajasthan to beat Chennai 8/11 Blue Square Rajasthan are on a real roll at the minute while Chennai's batting losses have depleted them like I thought they would. They've still got a fairly strong side on paper but a couple of batters are all or nothing and Warne will come up with ideas for them. Graeme Smith is a key cog in the batting for Rajasthan as he's had a lot of success in this format over the world. Rajasthan have still got Mascarenhas who can play if they wish but it could be as you were last time which suggests the home side are a happy side and with Warne's canny captaincy I expect them to notch another 2pts here.
Shout:clap:clap puts Warney's largely unfancied boys top.

Shout:clap:clap puts Warney's largely unfancied boys top.
Cheers mate. Warnie's lot are looking good. This win sees me up to +19.07 for the tournament. Will look at tomorrow's match in the morning.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Bangalore Challengers Vs Kings XI Punjab Punjab are really beginning to show there potential and look solid in all departments. Marsh has added some power to already decent batting line-up and Sreesanth and Pathan have struck up a good opening partnership in the absence of Brett Lee, Bangalore however are going in the opposite direction, im not overly convinced by there win over Deccan, Jacques Kallis has looked really poor, if Misbah and Cameron White play Bangalore could be dangerous. Punjab, after two early defeats, are currently third in the points table, tied with three other teams on eight points. There's little to separate the top four at this stage and it would be fair that they start as favourites, despite playing away from home. Kings Punjab XI @ 8/13

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Going with the away side tomorrow. 10pts Deccan Chargers to beat Chennai 5/6 Stan James Chennai led the competition two games ago but since then the slide has begun with the loss of the departed Hayden, Hussey and Oram. Deccan are propping the table up but they have a side which should be doing so much better even without Andrew Symonds. Both sides lost their last game so will want to get back on track here. Chennai only have 4 international players so the make up of their side is going to be pretty much as it was against Rajasthan. Stephen Fleming will open the innings but the only other international batsman is Albie Morkel. That means a lot rests on the shoulders on captain Dhoni. Murali is always a threat with the ball and Manpreet Gony has been economical but Ntini can go round the park. Deccan Chargers have an explosive batting lineup which I just have a feeling is going to really kick off in the not too distant future. VVS Laxman has hinted they could send Shahid Afridi up to open alongside Gilchrist in a partnership which will make bowlers tremble. Scott Styris looks set to play again too just for his all round skills so the last international spot will be between Gibbs and Chamara Silva unless Vaas is given a game. Laxman and Sharma offer the Indian section to the batting and Sharma will look to get the orange cap back here. Deccan were a bit unfortunate in their last match in that they came up against a good bowling attack having restricted Bangalore to a competitive score. Even though Chennai have Murali, their attack isn't as good as Bangalore's. Chennai's batting have fallen apart suddenly and that gives the edge to the visitors. I'll go with Deccan here.

Chennai looking out of sorts now, its no surprise to see the sides that have a minimal amount of players leaving for international duty, do well so far. Another nice selection, Kev.:clap:beer
Cheers mate. There's still plenty left in that Deccan lineup, just a question of will it come out. +27.40 for the tournament after that match. I'm going to leave tomorrow's match alone. Rajasthan are looking quality but everything Warnie's touched has turned to gold. Pollock seems to be pulling Mumbai around and having won their last 2 I'm not rushing to take Rajasthan at 4/6 even though I'd fancy them to win.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Mumbai Indians Vs Rajasthan Royals Shane Warne's Rajasthan Royals are on an incredible run, largely unfancied they have won their last 5 matches, Mumbai after a shakey start have won their last two matches under Shaun Pollock and are looking a much better side still missing Icon player Tendulkar, out injured and happy slap Harbhajan suspended. If Mumbai's batting holds together, they are more than capable of winning, Bravo has looked in good form recently,Sanath Jayasuriya and Robin Uthappa, although getting started need to go on and score big runs. Will be hoping the big hitters of Rajasthan, Watson, Y.Pathan and Jadeja have an off day, also a key battle could be Graeme Smith against Shaun Pollock.Warney's midas touch to fail in Mumbai? at the prices its worth backing the home side imo. IPL form (last five matches) Mumbai Indians LLLWW Rajasthan Royals WWWWW Mumbai Indians WIN @ 11/10

Mumbai Indians Vs Rajasthan Royals Shane Warne's Rajasthan Royals are on an incredible run, largely unfancied they have won their last 5 matches, Mumbai after a shakey start have won their last two matches under Shaun Pollock and are looking a much better side still missing Icon player Tendulkar, out injured and happy slap Harbhajan suspended. If Mumbai's batting holds together, they are more than capable of winning, Bravo has looked in good form recently,Sanath Jayasuriya and Robin Uthappa, although getting started need to go on and score big runs. Will be hoping the big hitters of Rajasthan, Watson, Y.Pathan and Jadeja have an off day, also a key battle could be Graeme Smith against Shaun Pollock.Warney's midas touch to fail in Mumbai? at the prices its worth backing the home side imo. IPL form (last five matches) Mumbai Indians LLLWW Rajasthan Royals WWWWW Mumbai Indians WIN @ 11/10
Nice shout mate :clap.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League Having decided to no bet on Wednesday I'm going to come out firing on Thursday with a bet in both matches. 10pts Delhi to beat Chennai 8/13 Boylesports Despite losing their last match Delhi are still right in the mix in this competition. Although Chennai are on the same points as Delhi momentum is all with Sehwag's men going into this match. Delhi beat Chennai by 9 wickets in the reverse fixture and I've seen nothing to suggest a massive turnaround will take place here. Delhi will go with the same team I'd expect. McGrath and Asif are superb opening the bowling while Yo Mahesh has been more than an adequate backup. Sehwag and Gambhir will open the batting with Shoaib Malik and AB de Villiers backing them up along with Indian internationals Manoj Tiwary and Dinesh Karthik. Farveez Maharoof looks like missing out against as Delhi have a settled side. Chennai have problems. There's no doubt about that. They are missing Hussey and Hayden massively. Ntini has taken over their new ball bowling and he hasn't taken a wicket in the tournament yet. Dhoni has been ok with the bat without any fireworks we'd expect from him while Stephen Fleming just hasn't been at the races and neither really has Parthiv Patel which means Chennai lose too many wickets early doors. Even Murali has looked off the boil. It could be that Chennai go into this match with only 3 internationals such have they been let down by the overseas players. Delhi are probably the best all round side in the competition while Chennai are in freefall. Kepler Wessels showed at Northants that once a rot sets in it stays for a while and it appears he's following suit with Chennai. Delhi at home in a day match where the toss shouldn't be much of a factor. I have to back them to win here. 10pts Bangalore to beat Kolkata 6/5 Boylesports Bangalore were embarassed by Kolkata on the opening night of the IPL but both sides lineup differently to how they did that night. Kolkata, like Chennai are in freefall. They've lost their last 4 after starting the tournament so well. Bangalore are crawling along but there's been signs recently that they could be getting to grips with the competition. Kolkata's dip in form has come since they lost Ricky Ponting, Chris Gayle (who although not playing a match would be good in the dressing room) and their top scorer Brendon McCullum. Despite missing the last three matches he's still the top scorer which says a lot. Mohammad Hafeez has had enough chances and not taken them so Salman Butt could come in for this match. Kolkata will be hoping that Australian duo David Hussey and Brad Hodge can get going. Ishant Sharma and Umar Gul should be a good new ball pairing. Bangalore will be without Wasim Jaffer who has a hand injury. Many, like me, would believe that's a good thing but to be fair Jaffer has begun to contribute before this injury. By his own admission, Rahul Dravid is getting to grips with this format now as his innings of 66 in the last match testifies. Misbah and Cameron White pack explosives in their batting and they'll want to come to the party while Dale Steyn is causing destruction alongside Zaheer Khan wherever they go. Anil Kumble is yet to take a wicket for Bangalore but that's certain to change soon. Despite Kolkata's comprehensive victory on the opening night I think Bangalore have the better side generally and they are starting to play some decent stuff at times now. I think on the whole they are more consistent and I think they can go to the Gardens and come away with the win.

Re: Cricket: Indian Premier League dont know how Bangalore lost last game? chasing 130 to win off a reduced 16 overs, a target that should be achieved, Bangalore messed it up, two openers played like it was a test match, Dravid is not a 20/20 player, White tried to have a go and Boucher left it way too late. losing by 5 runs with six wickets remaining is not acceptable really. they were only on about 50 in the 9th over. Shocking.