EW Perms (NH Racing)

As the proper NH Season is not that far off now i'm going to have a go at some EW Doubles trying to find some value bets along the way. There are 14 days Jump racing in September so it gives me a chance to see how it goes before the season gets really going. Rather than just select horses for EW singles which I do elswhere on the forum, i'm going to try a different approach and see if my old 2x2 system can make a profit. I will try and select at least two races a day and two horses in each race and perm them in EW doubles, the odd occasion there may be three races but i dont see this happening with one jump meeting on most of the 14 days racing planned in Sept. I dont expect a high strike rate but returns can be decent if I get lucky! All bets will be 1pt EW and will throw £200 at this and see how long it lasts. Reasoning behind the selections will be just fair value compared to the favourite, i'll take prices where I can or think are worth taking, if i have to put the selections up the night before i'll just take SP. If by some miracle the bank increases by 50% then stakes may be upped aswell but lets just see what I have left in the kitty by the end of Sept. System starts Sept 1st at Newton Abbot BH

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Ok, here we go, just one meeting today at Newton Abbot and after looking at the 6 races narrowed it down to two of the handicaps, one very competative and the other a poor race. 335 Kings Brook / Tango Royal Tough race to call but for £21,000 a decent prize to go at for these second division chasers. Tempted by Chilling Place back over fences but probrably weighted up to his best and i want to see if he's got over his bad experiences of last season before backing him. Going for Kings Brook at the bottom of the weights, taking a chance on his first run since pulling up but is very well handicapped with the Fav Iron Man and the booking of Choc Thornton is a plus also C/D winner and loves the ground. Tango Royal is my other against the field, always runs his heart out in these summer handicaps and is Tom Scudamore's choice of the Pipe runners. 515 Goldbrook / Espoir Du Bocage Chose this race because i just dont fancy the front three for different reasons, reckon at least one of them will disappoint so leaving at least one place to fill by something at better odds, of the remainder I can only see Goldbrook (well handicapped, fair form last time over fences) and Espoir Du Bocage (well thought of last season but made too many mistakes but ran at Haydock and Aintree, so this is easier) as possible alternatives at fair prices so i'll take them both. Bet 1 335 NA : Kings Brook / Tango Royal 515 NA : Goldbrook / Espoir Du Bocage 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (£8 staked)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Sunday Sept 2nd 310 Newton Abbot : Cream Cracker/ Croix De Guerre Another big summer handicap and a lot of these have ran against each other before, fav is the Irish raider Sonnyanjoe, hard to work out the form but happy to let that one go, next two in the betting Jo Lively (novice who will find this tougher) and I'm Spartacus (ex useful on the flat but ran well below par last week) are worth opposing also so having a stab at this with a couple who will go off at double figure SP's that can run decent races. Cream Cracker is a slight unknown over the trip but did put up a very good performance over a touch shorter at Uttoxeter, the forms reads well, the ground is right and at 20/1 the price is too. For the other one i'm going for Croix De Guerre, Hobbs the trainer always has a trier in these races and now its been dropped a few pounds could get into the argument, also likes the ground and has been too consistant for his own good at times but may just get in the shake up here. 450 Market Rasen : Dalriath / Cumbrian Knight Now this is a very poor race compared to the N.Abbot one, nearly anything could win it on its day but it gives a chance to Dalriath on his beloved Market Rasen. Always runs an honest race but just lacks the pace to land a competative event, again ran well last time up to a point but just lacked a final kick, I dont believe he will need one here and at 16/1 looks good value. One to go with it is Cumbrian Knight, had a break for 3 months and came back on the flat to sharpen up, last time out was given an easy time after his chance had gone over a trip maybe too far, back in trip and on firmer going we could see a different horse, 10/1 at the moment looks too big and wouldnt be surprised if it was backed like one of his stablemates at the last meeting here. Bet 2 310 NA: Cream Cracker / Croix De Guerre 450 MR: Dalriath / Cumbrian Knight 2x2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing)

Bet 1 335 NA : Kings Brook WON 12/1 / Tango Royal 515 NA : Goldbrook / Espoir Du Bocage 2nd 16/1 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts staked) Returns 16.80pts Profit 8.80pts Bank 208.80pts Nearly nailed it on the first bet but a profit anyway.
Nice going Graham :clap:clap:clap

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Thanks for the comments Frisky and Stu (welcome to the PL), dont expect to hit many times like i've said but when it does hopefully its worth it. Bet 2 310 NA: Cream Cracker / Croix De Guerre 4th 12/1 450 MR: Dalriath / Cumbrian Knight Returns : 0 Loss : 8pts Bank : 200.08pts Only one placed at 12/1 so the doubles bite the dust, Dalriath was a clear 3rd turning for home at 20/1 but faded to finish 5th, had a run for my money though. 2x2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) Next bet Tuesday at Segdefield

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Just wrote this out once and lost it in cyberspace! Sedgefield looks a very tricky card so tread carefully, i'm opting for two handicaps the 330 and 515. 330 Reasonably Sure / Another Jameson The front two in the market fought out the finish at MRasen on sunday so it will take a good performance to repeat that here and looks a race to take them on, for the life of me i cant fancy any of the rags, they are just very average, Indigo Sky could go well but is a right moody animal. The two i'm going for are Another Jameson and Reasonably Sure, not massive prices but value all the same. Another Jameson ran well on his debut before coming down 3 out and last time out didnt quite stay the trip but probrably completing the course was the main aim to boost confidence, back at the right trip on his favoured ground he could go well at around 10/1. The other one i'm backing is Reasonably Sure, been called many names in the past but looked quite good in a better race at Stratford with the visor on, as long as he reproduces that (not 100% guaranteed) he will surely make the frame. 515 Welsh Dream / Court One Another competative race with a few possibles and a lot of bad horses, Telegonus could go well for the in form McCain stable but wont be a value price on what he has shown, the top weight Welsh Dream looks good to me, dropped down to 97 so now gets in these 0-100 races which is more his level, back on firm ground at a track he has won and been placed at, also in fine form so cant see it running a bad race, could well be backed this one but will have to settle for SP. My other fancy is a bit more speculative in Court One, the best handicapped horse in the race and with a decent showing last time out it may be the time to catch him, now he has changed stables to Tina Jackson it may have sweetened him up. He has dropped over a stone in the ratings so if he did come back to form he would obviously have a chance. Bet 3 330 Seg: Another Jameson / Reasonably Sure 515 Seg: Welsh Dream / Court One 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) BH

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Winner and a second again today, slight loss but wouldve made a profit if taking opening prices as both were well backed at the off. Another Jameson and Welsh Dream both ran well below their best and look disappointing at the moment. Bet 3 330 Seg: Another Jameson / Reasonably Sure 2nd 9/2 (opened 13/2) 515 Seg: Welsh Dream / Court One Won 7/1 (opened 10/1) 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) Returns : 5.84 Loss : 2.16 Bank :197.92 Next bet Hereford tomorrow BH

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) A dire card at Hereford to be honest but taking a chance on the 250 and 430 handicaps, see if we get another winner! 250: Gypsy Cricketer / Rifleman A 0-85 seller with 18 runners, just the recipe for disaster or a turn up, you can put a line through most of these i reckon and of the few i have left i'm going for a couple that could run an improved race from last time out and hence get a bit of value. Gypsy Cricketer has a bit going for him at least, the right ground is the key and usually runs well with Tom Scudamore in the saddle, was badly hampered last time out so ignore that and should be at least the same price as Apadi (9/2). At around 8/1 and four places its fair value. Rifleman despite his awful form figures has actually ran with a bit of promise on occasion, likes to be up with the pace or just off it which will be required around here and likes the ground, just gets in this race after dropping a couple of pounds and could run well at 12/1 or bigger. 430: Tom Bell / Classi Maureen Although this a 0-110 handicap I cant really see anything with potential or in good current form at a fair price, for this reason i reckon the top one Tom Bell may show them the way home, on first looks appears badly handicapped but because he loves this track and the ground it will compensate nicely, jockey takes 5lb off aswell, 12/1 looks too big. The bottom weight Classi Maureen could have a little more improvement to come, had a break after a busy spell ending in a fair 7th in decent company, if she is allowed to dominate round here it could be good enough for a place at least, at about 8/1 i reckon its a very good EW bet. Bet4 250 Her: Gypsy Cricketer / Rifleman 430 Her: Tom Bell / Classi Maureen 2x2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) BH

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Bet 4 250 Her: Gypsy Cricketer 3rd 6/1 / Rifleman 430 Her: Tom Bell / Classi Maureen 2x2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) Returns : 0 Loss : 8pts Bank : 189.92 No good today, just one placed at a poor price and the best we could in the second leg was 5th at 28/1, Classi Maureen ran as though needed the race, very disappointing. Next Bet 8th September at Stratford.

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Decent looking card at Stratford and was a toos up as to which races to choose, like Croc An Oir in the 215 but nothing else stands out to go with it so gone for the 345 and 450. 345 Liverpool Echo / Baodai Liverpool Echo was once rated 135 and now down to 117 which is more realistic but still well treated as the horse has returned to some decent form, especially at this track, (won and 2nd), found the trip a bit short last time and now back over his favourite trip and Choc Thornton takes the ride again, i can see a fair run. With doubts about the front two in the betting Baodai at 6/1 could be good value here, a good second at MRasen last time, likes quick ground which i think he'll get and Tom O'Brien rides who has won on him before, interesting that Johnson rides another horse but O'Brien does get on with several from the stable better than the stable jockey. 450 Espoir Du Bocage / Dalriath Two horse already done on this thread, they both ran very well and deserve to backed again in similar races. Espoir Du Bocage made late headway to take second, was a good confidence booster after some indifferent jumping and with the stable going well he can now be put in the race a bit earlier. Dalriath is a massive price so will take a chance on him, was going very well until 2 out the other day and now steps back in trip, likes the track and hopefully the ground will dry up a bit. Bet 5 345 Str: Liverpool Echo / Baodai 450 Str: Espoir Du Bocage / Dalriath 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Bet 5 345 Str: Liverpool Echo / Baodai 2nd 4/1 450 Str: Espoir Du Bocage / Dalriath 2nd 12/1 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) Returns : 3.40 Loss : 4.60 Bank : 185.32 Two seconds today, neither really look like winning to be honest, Dalriath's odds were affected by the paper fav withdrawing and wasnt surprised to see Baodai backed after the front two were very weak in the market. On to Sunday

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Two meetings on Sunday, i'm going for one from each, low level stuff as usual, lets hope for a winner or two! 510 Str: Miss Muscat / Ravenscar (Lost In Normandy) 16 runner condtional jockey handicap, not the best of recipes for finding winners but going for two against the field that have their regular jockey riding so thats a step in the right direction. Miss Muscat is a very genuine animal who runs on any going and over both hurdles and fences, faded last time over hurdles on firm ground, think he went off a bit quick and paid the price. Looks well handicapped over fences in the context of this poor race and again should be up there from the off and i cant see many who are capable of getting in to it. Ravenscar is a tricky choice, hasnt really set the world alight since his break and yet to show he retains his full ability, thought i saw glimpes of it 2 runs ago and then was hampered last time when beat, so i'm giving it one more chance as the price is very big at around 20/1. Lost In Normandy looks interesting but will need the ground right and will back it if any of my selections are NR's. 520 Fon: Classi Maureen / Will The Till Classi Maureen was my tip the other day and was disappointing, was coming back from a break and over a trip that may well have been too far, i'm prepared to forgive that run as both excuses are answered here, a more suitable trip and now should have blown off any cob webs that were there, at about 8/1 looks value. Will The Till caught my eye with a battling performance at Cartmel last time, wasnt the stables fancied runner but plugged on well, the price looks too big in the post at 16/1, in a very tricky race he could surprise a few and grab a place. Bet 6 510 Str: Miss Muscat / Ravenscar (Lost In Normandy) 520 Fon: Classi Maureen / Will The Till 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Graham, Just seen this thread as I've been away. Really, really like the idea especially with your knack of picking out those big priced runners. I may have a look at doing something similar (if that's ok?). There are several times I'm torn between 2, and do look EW doubles. Following with interest, and I know that big win double is just around the corner. GL:ok

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Decided to follow you today BH for the first time. Unfortunately had to put the bets on early and had to include Ravenscar. When I found out it wasnt running, couldnt change it to Lost In Normandy. :wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall:wall Nice winner though. :clap :wall:wall

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Thanks Russ, no problem mate with you doing similar, as ive said the strike rate for the double wont be high (if ever!) the way i pick em but fun to have a go and been a touch unlucky to date, a lot of the time i tend to choose horses slipping down the handicap, only problem with that is the reason they are going downwards is because there out of form, knack is to try and predict the return to form, hence sometimes i'm way off the mark. Stew, yeah mate I didnt realise until later, thought it was worth a saver with the Scudamore team in good nick, they backed it well too! Anyway back to the scoreboard Bet 6 510 Str: Miss Muscat / Ravenscar NR (Lost In Normandy won 8/1) 520 Fon: Classi Maureen / Will The Till 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts) Return : 0 Loss : 8pts Bank : 178.32

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Just Uttoxeter today, didnt take much picking to be honest as one race had two horses ive been waiting for. 400 Utt: Cream Cracker / Lord Baskerville Cream Cracker could have this race set up for him, likes to come off a strong pace and has been running well without quite getting there, last time was slightly hampered in a much better race, has the trip and the ground in his favour, only problem i have is the jockey, young lad from Rodfords yard, had 8 rides and Alner wouldnt put him up if he wasnt ok, his 7lbs claim comes in very handy so will take a chance. Lord Baskerville has claims on his best form and hasnt ran a bad race all year, dropped another pound, over slightly further which may suit and at the price 20/1 looks too big. 505 Utt: Boxclever / Tommy Spar A good 3m handicap with several who are exposed, going for one ive been watching all season in Boxclever, heavily backed last time on what i thought was unsuitable ground, had it down as a real firm ground horse, anyway for whatever reason it didnt deliver and now does get the ground, had been unlucky previously so maybe this is the time it can take advantage of his mark, the other unexposed one over hurdles is Tommy Spar, been running well over fences on a mark of 137 now, runs here off 101 so you can see why i say its unexposed, wont be a big price (6/1 in RP) but could win this without much fuss. Bet 7 400 Utt: Lord Baskerville / Cream Cracker 505 Utt: Boxclever / Tommy Spar 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) Bangor On Dee today, narrowed it down to three races i like, decided to drop the 4.10 because although Tora Petcha is a massive price my other fancy will go off fav and poor value. Leaves me with the 5.15 and 3.35. 335 Ban: Pukka Tique / Ticket To Ride / Barracat Such a large field with lots of value around so can afford to go for three against the field here. Pukka Tique is the first one, ran really well on his chase debut last time, connections obviously expect this will be a better chaser than a hurdler after starting off his hurdle rating, if he can just improve slightly he has every chance. Ticket To Ride is a funny customer, ex French winner and has been running around 2mile, but always looking as though he wants further, well this is 3m so it could be the key, only problem is he hardly runs on firm ground so we'll just have to see if takes part, but interesting anyway at about 14/1. Barracat looks like he's ready to run a decent race, second behind Prof Hegarty and gets a hefty weight pull, that horse is about fav so the price for this one must be value at 12/1, has lots in his favour too so would expect a place at least and worth including in the doubles. 515 Ban: Matt The Thrasher / Downing Street These 3 mile races are quite often not very competative, lot of horses fail to stay and run in these as a last resort, on quick ground you need horses that will gallop to the line off a quick pace, not a slogger. Matt The Thrasher stays forever and is in fine form, looked dangerous last time but failed to get up, this extra distance will suit in a race where many have questions to answer. Downing Street has done well on the flat this season and being a winner at this distance over hurdles looks to have both flat speed and stamina, at 7/1 looks very good value, top weight but has been running in Class 2's so this is a drop in grade and will be therabouts. Bet 8 335 Ban: Pukka Tique / Ticket To Ride / Barracat 515 Ban: Matt The Thrasher / Downing Street 3 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (12pts)

Re: EW Perms (NH Racing) 320 Stratford A race where many are racing off their highest marks so will have to do a lifetime best to win, I'll side with an unexposed sort in Prince Vector, had three runs all showing some sort of promise, I reckon the track will suit this one and the handicapper may have let him a couple of pounds light. Tom Bell ran a nice race without threatening to win last time at MRasen, he looks to be running very near his best and could be in the shake up here, at about 12/1 the price looks decent value. 505 Stratford The fav Cape Stormer looks a solid form guide and will give us a bit of value elswhere as it looks a bit too short. Once A Brownie could improve quite a bit for his last run and if he does will be hard to beat, well fancied that day but the winner is a very fast improving horse so the form may not be that bad. Native Daisy I'm taking a chance on at a big price, always runs well after a break and has the ground and track to suit, will be up there and battles on so could get into a place. Bet 9 320 Str: Tom Bell / Prince Vector 505 Str: Once A Brownie / Native Daisy 2 x 2 1pt EW Doubles (8pts)