** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007

Forgive my ignorance but is Marshall playing for them in the Twenty20? He and Gidman gave Kent a going over in the FPT a week or so ago.
He is indeed mate. I think Gidman's a class act though and whilst it could well be a match between the 2 I'd take Gidman every time especially at 4/1.
With regards to the top Kent bat - I think Stevens (11/4) or Walker (4/1) could be good bets. I think Van Jaarsveld's only the favourite because he was our top scorer last year - and that was mainly because of his 75 in the QF. To be honest I think we're weaker (no Andy Hall - who you can back at 4/1 with expekt.com!, no Tyron Henderson who's just signed for Middx - both were our sloggers) than we were last year so will struggle to get out of the group. We relied on Min Patel's spin a lot last year and I don't think he's featured much this term (not sure why).
I'm not sure you're a great deal weaker mate. Sure Hall will be missed but you've got Arafat and McLaren with Tredwell going nicely now and Simon Cook taking wickets too. Morkel's not the worst bowler around, I'd have him a better bowler than Henderson for sure so I think you're as good if not stronger. But the South group as a whole is weaker. I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting to the quarters by which time Hall will be back.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday 22 June 2007
HomeAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Lancashire v Durham (17:00 BST)1.722.38100%
Northamptonshire v Worcestershire (17:00 BST)1.902.15100%
Surrey v Middlesex (17:00 BST)1.702.40101%
Warwickshire v Somerset (17:00 BST)2.101.88101%
Leicestershire v Yorkshire (17:30 BST)2.001.98101% SS1.gif offer.gif
Derbyshire v Nottinghamshire (18:30 BST)2.441.68101%
Glamorgan v Gloucestershire (18:30 BST)2.351.74101%
Hampshire v Kent (18:30 BST)1.842.10102%
Essex v Sussex (18:45 BST)1.762.28101%
1st night matches. 4 for me. 2 for the TV match - Leicester vs Yorkshire and 2 elsewhere. Bad weather is forecast but we might be lucky and get some play in. 10pts Leicestershire to beat Yorkshire Evs Skybet These 2 sides have completely contrasting records in this competition but once again it seems like the defending champions and for many the best Twenty20 side in the country, are being underrated. Yorkshire have a star studded lineup but it's not guaranteed to click in such a short format. Leicestershire have a full squad to choose from. Only Darren Maddy has left from the side which won this competition at Trent Bridge last year. Stuart Broad and David Masters are in good nick with the ball and HD Ackerman hit a half century in Leicestershire's warmup match against the PCA Masters XI. John Sadler and Jim Allenby are in good touch too and to me Leicester look just as solid as they always have in this competition. Yorkshire will be captained by Darren Gough and have Younis Khan and Jaques Rudolph in their midst. Neither will have played too many Twenty20 matches though so how they'll get on is questionable. Yorkshire haven't really got going in 1 day cricket this season so far and Twenty20 isn't the easiest time to suddenly find some form. Gough and Gillespie are decent bowlers but the rest can go round the park. Grace Rd is sold out and it's a tough place to go in Twenty20 as many sides have found out in the past. Leicester have a gameplan which they stick to and it obviously works. They'll be all out for an opening night win and I think they'll get it. 5pts ew P.Nixon Top Leicestershire Bat 13/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Those who don't follow county cricket won't have known much about Paul Nixon before the world cup but they'll have seen in that tournament a very clever, solid and useful batsman. In Twenty20, Nixon usually bats 4 or 5 which gives him a good chance of getting some runs. This Leicester side rely on Nixon's runs a fair bit. He's the rock who can either keep the innings going or rebuild it and when the situation arises he can clatter it a long way. When the spinners come on he'll be reverse sweeping them crazy and annoying Gough with his unorthodox play. He's full of experience and is one of Leicester's best batsmen and at 13/2 is well overpriced to top score with only HD Ackerman being a real danger. And now for the non TV games. 10pts Warwickshire to beat Somerset 11/10 William Hill Edgbaston hosts this clash between the Bears and the Sabres. Warwickshire will be looking to bounce back from their disappointing defeat to Hampshire in the FP Trophy semi in Wednesday and Somerset will be looking to get their campaign going with a win. Warwickshire have signed Darren Maddy who is widely acclaimed as Mr Twenty20 such has been his success with Leicester in this competition. He seems to come alive in this competition and Somerset will need to dismiss him early. Jon Trott and Tim Ambrose are in good nick and Streak and Groenewald can hit the ball a long way down the order. Paul Harris comes into the side with the ball and he and Loudon might be hard to get away. Streak, Daggett, Anyon and Groenewald can bowl sides out and the Bears look to have a well balanced side. Somerset, skippered by Justin Langer have a serious batting lineup. Trescothick, Langer, White, Hidreth and Blackwell is as good a top 5 as you'll find but their bowling attack leaks runs at a very big rate. Langer has hinted that Somerset may rest some of their stars for this competition for a few of the youngsters. They are good cricketers in their own right but the likes of Durston, Suppiah and Andrew are no match for Caddick, Parsons and the like. Warwickshire have played well in 1 day cricket this season so far and looked a decent side against Hampshire this week. It took an exceptional bowling performance to beat them and that's something I don't see Somerset producing. Last summer, despite playing at Taunton, Warwickshire won this fixture with ease and I think they'll win again. 10pts Worcestershire to beat Northants 11/10 Skybet Worcestershire travel to Wantage Road to begin their Twenty20 campaign having already beaten Northants at Wantage Rd this season. In the 2nd to last FP Trophy match Worcester beat Northants by 56 runs which should give them confidence to win this match. Northants are almost at full strength with only Niall O'Brien and Monty Panesar missing. Chris Rogers is back to lead the batting with Usman Afzaal and David Sales key figures. Klusener and van der Wath will lead the bowling attack and much will depend on Brown and Dawson's 8 overs as to how this match will go. Worcestershire will be without Phil Jaques but should be fairly strong otherwise. I expect Hick to move up to open alongside Solanki with Moeen Ali in at 3. Kabir Ali will be vital with the ball as will the spin twins Batty and Price. Worcestershire have a well balanced side and will be confident of winning this. Northants haven't got going tin 1 day cricket this season while after a slow start Worcestershire finished the FP series well. They've already won here this season and I think they'll win here again.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 ok just a couple for me. I have previously flagged up Essex as a side with the right ingredients for T20. They have hitters in Pettini, Bichel and ten Doeschate aswell as experienced guys like Grant Flower and James Foster who they can build around. Their one day form is strong making the FP semis and most importantly the spin duo of Middlebrook and Pakistani Kaneria should be successful in this form of the game. Essex @ 8/1 (General) Next, a long shot. The longest shot of them all in fact. Glamorgan have not done all that badly in T20 in the past and were unlucky not to qualify last year. Sides with little to play for elsewhere sometimes come good in T20 as there is more motivation for them. Simon Jones is playing and with Croft and Cosker the spinners the bowling looks ok. The batting does look very weak on paper but you never know in T20, if Tom Maynard really is to be better than his dad then I expect he'll score a few. Either way, I don't really think they are markedly as worse than the rest as the bookies do especially in the lottery of T20 so I think they are a value shot. Glamorgan (ew) @ 50/1 (Skybet)

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 Two bets in the outright and to win their respective competitive groups: Nottinghamshire. They are a good team in all forms of cricket and twenty 20 is no exception. They made the final last year and despite the probable loss of Sidebottom they have largely the same team and indeed probably a stronger team with the inclusion of Jefferson who has impressed in his short 20 20 career. A strong batting line up with Hussey, Fleming etc. and crucial lower order depth, bowling is probably now there weaker suit but they have the tpye of bowlers who can be effective in 20 20 ie. Ealham, Swann and overall they have a good chance. Somerset. Another team with great 20 20 pedigree having won the trophy two years ago. Like Notts, bowling is their weaker suit but their batting line up is up there with the best in the competition if not the best. Potentially Langer, Trescothick, White, Blackwell, Durston all of whom have the ability to destroy attacks (expect 200+.) I acknowlege they may not all play and that the bowling is weaker if Caddick, Willoughby do not play but I just feel on batting alone they have a huge chance.

Foxes appeal for helicopter help
Twenty20 Cup, Leicester: Leicestershire v Yorkshire Scorecard Leicestershire are appealing for a helicopter to help Friday's Twenty20 Cup opener against Yorkshire beat the weather, reports BBC Radio Leicester. The defending champions face a tough match against County Championship Division One leaders tonight. But heavy overnight rain and a further shower on Friday left Grace Road saturated and the club are asking for a helicopter to help dry the outfield. More 5,000 tickets have been sold for the game which is due to start at 1740.
I'm sure one of PL compadre's can help em out:lol

I put a bet on Nottinghamshire to beat Derbyshire' date=' but it ended a draw?Ladbrokes never had the draw option so what will happen to my money?[/quote'] Stake is usually refunded.Just check your transaction page:ok

I put a bet on Nottinghamshire to beat Derbyshire' date=' but it ended a draw?Ladbrokes never had the draw option so what will happen to my money?[/quote'] According to Cricinfo and the BBC it's due to start at 7.00pm so you might yet have a winner!:hope

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 They could have done but didn't thanks to Heath Streak and Paul Harris. Warwickshire and Leicestershire wins and Nixon 3rd for me today with Northants rained off. That means I'm +24.18 for the tournament after day 1. Elsewhere Notts got off to a good start in the North group with a win at Derby and Ramprakash made 85* which was 36 more than anyone else and even the guy in 2nd was only Jon Batty so already that top bat is looking good. Ryan McLaren took a last ball catch to ensure Kent tied with Hampshire who needed only a single off the last ball to win. All in all I'm very happy with that day. 2 games tomorrow which I'll look at either later tonight or tomorrow :ok

Ryan McLaren took a last ball catch to ensure Kent tied with Hampshire who needed only a single off the last ball to win.
He was handy with the bat as well - 46 off 19 balls. My batsmen Stevens and Walker didn't really play well and the batting order was tinkered with, I didn't expect Key and Denly to open as they do in the County Champs. Morkel's first 2 overs were good, he looks just what we need. Think we're a bit light on the attacking batting side to qualify but we might sneak 2nd or 3rd place. Exciting game - we managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat (and victory, it looked like at one point). Off to the game tomorrow as well so will try and report back anything of interest.

Exciting game - we managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat (and victory' date=' it looked like at one point). Off to the game tomorrow as well so will try and report back anything of interest.[/quote'] Was a great game. Thought Dimi's spell of bowling had put us in control and it wasn't until he and Benham got going that we looked in it with the bat. In the end, needing 6 off 5 balls we should have won but a tie suits both sides I guess. If the 1st night is anything to go by this will be an excellent Twenty20 cup.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 Onto todays games. Ignore the start times on these. Kent starts at 3 and Notts at 2.40 and is live on Sky.

Saturday 23 June 2007
HomeAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Kent v Essex (17:30 BST)2.101.9599%
Nottinghamshire v Lancashire (18:40 BST)2.001.96102%
Just the 1 for me today. Have a hunch Kent will win but with us on them for the group I'll leave it. 10pts Nottinghamshire to beat Lancashire Evs Blue Square Both these sides opened up their Twenty20 campaigns with comfortable victories with Notts winning under the lights in Derby and Lancashire beating Durham at Old Trafford. This is the 1st test for either in this years competition. Nottinghamshire have named the same squad as the one which saw off Derbyshire last night with the exception of Ryan Sidebottom who has been pulled out by England. He didn't play last night anyway. Mark Ealham began the tournament with some wickets and Gareth Clough was very impressive with the ball too taking 4/24 off his 4 overs. This game may well be won by the spinners though and in Hussey, Read and Jefferson, Notts have 3 players who can get after Lancashire's spinners and if one of them goes berserk then Notts will be in a good position. Swann, Fleming and Patel make up a strong batting lineup. Lancashire have a very good looking batting lineup and in Loye and Jayasuriya must have the most explosive opening partnership in the competition. With Hodge and Law backing them up the Notts bowlers will need to be on top form to contain them. After those 4 though there's not a lot there if Notts can get stuck in. Gary Keedy will be a danger with the ball but the rest of the Lancashire bowlers are open to be hit. Home advantage is often key in this competition and I think Notts match up well to Lancashire and I think they'll go 2pts clear come 6pm.

:@ Blasted Duckworth Lewis :@
Don't think you can blame Duckworth Lewis mate. 50 in 5 overs with 10 wickets is a pretty generous target but Kent must've bowled well or Essex batted poorly for them not to get there. Seems like Ryan McLaren was the hero again with 2/3 off his over.

Don't think you can blame Duckworth Lewis mate
oh yeah, just watch me :lol good pick on Notts today, on paper that match could have gone either way. I assume you'll be going for Surrey tomorrow? It's going to be a packed Oval and it's live on TV so I hope it doesn't rain!

oh yeah, just watch me :lol good pick on Notts today, on paper that match could have gone either way.
in your eyes yeh, but come on now please dont imply that there was an element of luck involved. Kev has tipped Notts on here for a while now and tipped me personally for a couple of months. Kev didnt exactly say that this match on paper could've gone either way, hes stuck his neck out and tipped Notts from the off. He has claimed he cant see past them for the competition so obviously would fancy them strongly today. Well done on this fantstic start to the 20/20 competition mate, you are a true county cricketing tipping god :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I assume you'll be going for Surrey tomorrow?
Nope. As you'll see below :ok
kev does it again :notworthy great advise with the Notts match mate. Cheers.:cheers
:ok
Well done on this fantstic start to the 20/20 competition mate, you are a true county cricketing tipping god :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
:$ :ok Onto Sunday then and 3 bets for me.
Sunday 24 June 2007
Somerset v Northamptonshire (14:00 BST)1.612.51102%
Sussex v Middlesex (14:00 BST)1.872.10102%
Warwickshire v Glamorgan (14:00 BST)1.572.70101%
Surrey v Hampshire (14:25 BST)1.752.30101%
TV game 1st. 10pts Hampshire to beat Surrey 5/4 William Hill Both these sides came away from their 1st matches unbeaten but Surrey got a win at home to Middlesex while Hampshire drew with Kent when in truth they really should have won. These 2 last met at The Brit Oval in Twenty20 2 years ago when Hampshire ran out winners in a low scoring encounter. Surrey will most likely go with the same side which beat Middlesex on Friday night. They were in trouble in that match when they were 24/3 chasing 164 but then Mark Ramprakash stepped up and did his thing. That shows though that Surrey's lineup isn't infallible. If Hampshire can get Ramprakash early they could well be right in. As a bowling unit though Surrey are all about their 2 spinners. If Hampshire can score well off Doshi - Twenty20's highest ever wicket taker - and Schofield the game could be as good as won. Hampshire have Dimitri Mascarenhas captaining the side in the last game before he leaves to join up with the England squad. Adam Voges plays his 2nd game for the club here but there will be no John Crawley, Shane Warne or Stuart Clark. James Bruce will come into the side from the one which beat Warwickshire in the Friends Provident semi. Hampshire's bowling attack is solid and won't let them down. The key is whether the likes of Benham, Voges, Ervine and Mascarenhas can score the runs required to win this one. Hampshire beat Surrey in the Friends Provident Trophy a couple of weeks ago and they've a good record against Surrey in the past. I see no reason why that can't continue here and take the Hawks to come away from the capital with the points. 5pts ew D.Mascarenhas Top Hampshire Bat 10/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Finally at long last Dimi Mascarenhas has got a chance to show his skills for England. His county captain, Shane Warne has been calling for that for years as have the Hampshire faithful. As well as being a decent bowler he's also a very good, hard hitting, aggressive batsman. He should enjoy the conditions at The Oval with the pace and bounce and the ball coming onto the bat nicely. Although he's likely to bat number 6 he scores so quickly that he's still got every chance of top scoring in a Hampshire lineup that still looks a touch weak. And away from the TV........ 10pts Middlesex to beat Sussex 11/10 Ladbrokes Both these sides lost on the opening night despite both batting 1st and putting up similar scores. Middlesex made 163 in their 20 overs against Surrey while Sussex made 165 against Essex but neither were good enough to defend those scores. The way the group is shaping up the losers of this could be left behind a bit in the group so the 2pts are vital for both sides. Sussex may well be without Matt Prior and Michael Yardy who are both in the England squad. Their side against Essex was very youthful and that could be key if they go down the same route here. Mushtaq Ahmed will always be tricky to face but Rana Naved and James Kirtley went for 59 from 6 overs against Essex so their attack is hittable. Murray Goodwin made a great century the other night but only 2 more men made double figures so the Sharks' batting has doubts over it. Middlesex, in pink for this competition, have Owais Shah and Andrew Strauss available despite the former being in the England squad. Eoin Morgan is also available having turned down the chance to play for Ireland in this weekend's 1 day internationals. With the ball, Chad Keegan was superb against Surrey. Tyron Henderson comes with a big reputation and Murali Kartik should be tricky to face on what should be a turning pitch. Jamie Dalrymple was in good form on Friday night too and the Crusaders would appreciate more of the same here. Middlesex look quite strong here. Sussex not quite so with injuries and England callup's. Middlesex have a good bowling attack and a solid batting lineup and I think in what could be a close-ish game at odds against Middlesex are the call.

in your eyes yeh' date=' but come on now please dont imply that there was an element of luck involved. Kev has tipped Notts on here for a while now and tipped me personally for a couple of months. Kev didnt exactly say that this match on paper could've gone either way, hes stuck his neck out and tipped Notts from the off. He has claimed he cant see past them for the competition so obviously would fancy them strongly today. [/quote'] don't think I said it was lucky did I? Only that 2 good teams came up against eachother and kevs pick won, surely that makes it even more of a good pick! Surrey came through comfortably in the end today, Hampshire imo paid for not having any good spinners within their ranks. Glamorgan were edged out by 3 runs today showing they're no pushover in this form of the game so there's still a slight chance for them.

Hampshire let us down today :wall 70 odd was never enough in ten overs! does anyone else feel that batting first was a mad decision?surely get surrey in then you know what you are chasing when its just 10 overs! :cry
I don't think it was a bad decision mate. If we'd stuck 90/95 on the board the pressure would've been on them. As it was we just batted poorly. Nothing to do with bowlers, spinners or anything else. We were just shite with the bat. That said, someone's got to have a word with the powers that be. 4.00 start. I was there from 1.40 and it wasn't raining :eyes .

Nothing to do with bowlers, spinners or anything else. We were just shite with the bat.
Doshi 2-0-6-2, Schofield 2-0-16-2. I don't know about you but I really feel spin is key in T20 and sides with good spinners will prosper. With Hampshire's spinners taking T20 off I feel your attack is not best equipped for this form of the game. On a side note, Derbyshire thrashed West Indies today, great result for one of the weaker counties but lets hope Windies are more competitive in the internationals.

Doshi 2-0-6-2' date=' Schofield 2-0-16-2. I don't know about you but I really feel spin is key in T20 and sides with good spinners will prosper. With Hampshire's spinners taking T20 off I feel your attack is not best equipped for this form of the game.[/quote'] And Mascarenhas, Tremlett and Taylor all went for less than 7 an over. Like I said we just batted poorly especially against Doshi. Sure spinners are good but if you've got a seam attack going for less than 7 an over you're not going to lose many matches. The difference was they had an Ali Brown to slap our spinner away and we didn't have anyone to hit theirs.