** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 Onto the other 4 then. 10pts Kent to beat Surrey 6/5 Ladbrokes As Abba once said, the winner takes it all here. The winners go through, the losers will bow out. The Oval is sold out ahead of this huge match with all 25000 tickets sold. I was at The Oval last night and there didn't appear to be any other pitches prepared so I assume this match will be played on the same pitch as last night. That may well help Kent as the pitch would have taken a fair amount of rain whilst the match was going ahead last night. That will mean it isn't the fast, bouncy wicket you usually get at The Oval and may suit their seamers more. Kent have a good seam attack and can definitely restrict Surrey to a manageable total. Surrey's attack is based around their 2 spinners who may not have as much effect on a wet surface. Surrey will always score runs but maybe not as many as normal given the good attack they'll face. Kent have to win, as do Surrey but having seen both sides in this tournament I believe Kent are playing the better cricket and I'm confident they'll send Surrey packing here. 10pts Sussex to beat Hampshire 8/13 Blue Square A win for the Sharks here sees them get a home quarter final which in this tournament is a massive advantage. They're already through for the 1st time in their history but will be all out for a win. Hampshire can no longer go through but have improved with each game in the tournament. Sussex are playing good cricket and will probably stick with the same lineup that beat Surrey last night. Hampshire are also likely to keep the same side which means David Griffiths will keep his place in the side. This one is sold out too so a vociferous crowd will gather at Hove for this local derby and I'm sure they'll cheer their side onto a home quarter final. Last 2 to follow.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 10pts Yorkshire to beat Derbyshire 8/13 Blue Square Yorkshire know that a win here sees them into the 3rd placed spot and fighting with the other 2 3rd place sides for one of the 2 spots in the quarter finals. Derbyshire are out having never really ever being at the races in Twenty20. Yorkshire have named the same side which beat Notts in their last game. David Wainwright will be key again as he's been a real find for Yorkshire in this competition. With each match that has gone by Yorkshire have improved and they'll be hoping they can win this one to move into 3rd in the group. Derbyshire will be playing for pride and may rest one or two players ahead of their trip to Southgate in the Championship on Sunday. Yorkshire have a good side and after a slow start are playing good cricket now and I'm confident they'll win this one. 10pts Middlesex to beat Essex 5/6 Coral Lords hosts this South group encounter and Middlesex will be all out for a win that could still sneak them into the quarter finals. They will need a hell of a lot of results to go their way but the chance remains. Essex are out now and playing solely for pride. Middlesex have played some good cricket in this tournament and their bowling attack has been very miserly to say the least. Sides aren't scoring very many off their bowling and they are doing enough with the bat to get home. Essex have been hit hard with injury and retirements and things and it's taken its toll. Adam Hollioake plays his last game for the club here and will want to go out with a bang but given the form of the two sides that's unlikely to happen. Middlesex played very good cricket in front of a big Lords crowd on Tuesday when they beat Surrey and I expect the same tonight with the same end result.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007

Two bets in the outright and to win their respective competitive groups: Nottinghamshire. They are a good team in all forms of cricket and twenty 20 is no exception. They made the final last year and despite the probable loss of Sidebottom they have largely the same team and indeed probably a stronger team with the inclusion of Jefferson who has impressed in his short 20 20 career. A strong batting line up with Hussey, Fleming etc. and crucial lower order depth, bowling is probably now there weaker suit but they have the tpye of bowlers who can be effective in 20 20 ie. Ealham, Swann and overall they have a good chance. Somerset. Another team with great 20 20 pedigree having won the trophy two years ago. Like Notts, bowling is their weaker suit but their batting line up is up there with the best in the competition if not the best. Potentially Langer, Trescothick, White, Blackwell, Durston all of whom have the ability to destroy attacks (expect 200+.) I acknowlege they may not all play and that the bowling is weaker if Caddick, Willoughby do not play but I just feel on batting alone they have a huge chance.
Well at least one got through and as winners of their group. Got to feel sorry for Leicestershire though. It looks like they will go out only losing one game and that was not even a full match.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 A near perfect night tonight. Only Middlesex lost in the matches so that's +14.2 from the matches. Notts won the North group which is +7 although Kent and Worcester didn't win there so the profit is +5 for Notts winning their group. Ramprakash also finished top Surrey batsman so we get +10 for him too. All in all +29.2 tonight taking me to 52.45 for the competition. In addition to that, all 3 outrights, Notts, Kent and Worcestershire are all through to the quarter finals so we've every chance of some representation on finals day. Quarter final draw will appear here when it's made.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 Kev, Love this format of cricket and caught your thread before the tournament started. Decided to follow your advice for a bit of fun and am really impressed fella! Thanks for the great advice and keep it up! :clap

A near perfect night tonight. Only Middlesex lost in the matches so that's +14.2 from the matches. Notts won the North group which is +7 although Kent and Worcester didn't win there so the profit is +5 for Notts winning their group. Ramprakash also finished top Surrey batsman so we get +10 for him too. All in all +29.2 tonight taking me to 52.45 for the competition. In addition to that, all 3 outrights, Notts, Kent and Worcestershire are all through to the quarter finals so we've every chance of some representation on finals day. Quarter final draw will appear here when it's made.
:clap :notworthy :clap Brilliant!

Kev, Love this format of cricket and caught your thread before the tournament started. Decided to follow your advice for a bit of fun and am really impressed fella! Thanks for the great advice and keep it up! :clap
:clap :notworthy :clap Brilliant!
Cheers guys :ok . Ok. Quarter final draw has just been made and it is as follows: Sussex vs Yorkshire Nottinghamshire vs Kent Warwickshire vs Lancashire Gloucestershire vs Worcestershire That means I'm guaranteed a representative at finals day :nana . Quarter finals to be played on 17th and 18th July.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday 17 July 2007
HomeAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Gloucestershire v Worcestershire (17:00 BST)1.752.30101%
Nottinghamshire v Kent (17:10 BST)1.752.4099%
Ok it's quarter final time and a pretty big night for me personally with all 3 of my outrights playing. I'm guaranteed 1 team at Edgbaston 2 weeks Saturday but I'm hoping Worcester can make it a 2nd. As I'm on Kent and Worcester each way to 1/4 1,2,3,4, meaning I'm basically on them both at 5/1 tonight I'm not going to bet on the matches but I'll offer a few thoughts. Gloucestershire have beaten Worcester in both their group matches but Worcestershire have Jaques back for this one and that could be crucial. He played in the 2nd group game between the 2 but that was at Kidderminster and the pitch fell apart in the 2nd inns so you can't get a true reflection on that game. I think Worcester are decent value to make it 3rd time lucky, especially if Jon Lewis needs a few games to get back to normal. In the other game, which is the TV game I think it's a toss of a coin. Notts were my big pick ante-post but without Shreck and Sidebottom are a wee bit light in the bowling stakes. However the last thing a Spitfire fan would want to see when looking at Notts' championship scorecard was DJ Hussey 180 off 164 balls. That said Kent are playing great 1 day cricket so I can't split them. Luckily I'm on both :tongue2 . Boyles however have been nice enough to price up top bats for all the quarter finals so I'm happy to oblige! Would've backed Hick for Worcester but he's well ahead so far for them and I'm on him for the overall top Worcester bat so him top scoring tomorrow is a bet I need not have. For Gloucester though, Gidman is too far behind Marshall I'd think so I'm happy to back him again. 5pts ew A.Gidman Top Gloucestershire Batsman 5/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Alex Gidman is a quality batsman. He's there or thereabouts with regards the England 1 day side having represented the Lions already this season. Jon Lewis is back for Gloucestershire which means Gidman no longer has the burden of captaining the side. Gidman top scored in the 1st of the 2 matches between the sides in the group stages and given that he'll come in at number 3 I think he's every chance of doing so again. Chances are this will be rain affected and so the places should be filled by the top order. That's fine for Gidman and he looks an ew steal. And now the TV game. For Notts I was going to go with Chris Read as he's in terrific form with the bat but DJ Hussey is our pick after his championship knock and the forecast of rain which means we need someone up the order. 5pts ew D.Hussey Top Nottinghamshire Batsman 9/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) David Hussey is a truly class act at this level. However surprisingly he is yet to really fire in this season's Twenty20, which could be a bad omen for Kent as he's simply too good not to fire. Huss is very much a confidence player and his championship knock of 180 in 164 balls against Gloucestershire could not have come at a better time for Notts fans. On his day Hussey can be as destructive as anyone in the county game, as Alex Gidman among others found out yesterday. He's the main man for Notts and they'll look to get him in to bat as many overs as possible. 9/2 is an excellent price on a such in good form. 5pts ew D.Stevens Top Kent Batsman 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Darren Stevens is enjoying a good Twenty20 for Kent. It's a Twenty20 where he has already top scored for Kent on 2 occasions, including the must win game against Surrey in the last group game. He's also placed on a couple more occasions too so he's wielding the willow nicely. He looked in superb touch on Saturday in the Pro40 where his 42 off 35 balls guided Kent to victory at Leicester and following on from our other bets today we'll take another in form batsman to carry on his good form and top score.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 cricket lover - my tongue in cheek 'scattergun' description was for kev because he always has so many bets every day, meaning in crass term, firing off plenty and usually some hit. whilst i normally go for 1 bet and if it loses that's that, nothing to fall back on (unless it's a TV match and i might cover). both ways have their merits and you should do whatever works for you and it's certainly working for kev in this comp:clap , my comments go back to the world cup which didn't go well for him and i suggested being a bit more selective with his picks as he was obviously reading the matches well but being let down by top runscorers etc. so er, yeah i hope that clears up what i meant by scattergun!!:unsure :lol

gloucestershire must be smashing it all over the place 72/2 off 9! do u know the exact target and off how many overs kev?
I'm sure the radio said 129 off 17 overs. Should be easy for Gloucestershire they know the target and are playing in the much better weather.... it sounded torrential when Worcester were batting... Unfortunately I am on Worcester :( At least Marshall is out now after scoring 36 off 20.

I'm sure the radio said 129 off 17 overs. Should be easy for Gloucestershire they know the target and are playing in the much better weather.... it sounded torrential when Worcester were batting... Unfortunately I am on Worcester :( At least Marshall is out now after scoring 36 off 20.
damb rain! at least i'm not the only one

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 bad luck guys, i left both tonight's games. i'd like to see what %age of T20 games are won by the home side, they seem to be dominating this year atleast. I notice England forgotten man John Lewis bowled 4-1-15-0 tonight, is he in the 30man T20 squad?

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 Gloucestershire win by 7 wickets. They're the 1st side through to finals day. Can't help but feel the rain hurt Worcestershire there. Worcester going out brings the Hick top bat in though but that only counters the Gidman top bat so with Worcester out I'm -4 for the day and now +48.45 for the competition. I'll sort out tomorrow's matches shortly.

Re: Cricket: Twenty20 Cup 2007 unlucky Kev mate - but you are guaranteed at least 1 county in the semis so not all it lost in the outright sense :dude btw as regards to this scattergun thing - everyone has a successful way so just stick with it despite what some might think. Your past record speaks for itself and is exceptional, keep up the good work :ok