Winter Olympics

Re: Winter Olympics

Hmm the Finns looks very very good imo. Is it me' date=' or did the Chezc stop playing in the 3. period? it seemed to me they where just waiting for the final whistle:( Could easyely have scored a couple more, theyed had so many PP they wastet[/quote'] I didn't actually watch the game, but I think you are right. I also expected them to roll over Italy in that game and put some chips to their big win :eyes . But actually that was a fool bet, cause they really didn't need to win more than that. Maybe they just went out and took the two points and nothing more...

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This idiaot should never step on the Olympic ice again' date=' imo - [/quote'] Actually that hit has got way too much publicity as it shoud. I feel bad that Jagr was hurt, I agree that it looked nasty and I even agree that it was right for Ruutu to be thrown out of ice, but I definelity won't agree about that kind of olympic ice ban or at least one game ban. It was also bad luck (and old illegal helmet he wears) that Jagr hurted his head like that. Ruutu was coming to check him and when he was couple of meters away Jagr suddenly put his head down near the board. Ruutu hitted him to shoulder and he was thrown nasty to board. There was no way that Ruutu has had time to change his check in that time. There was no elbows involved or no too much speed. Jagr only happened to hit his head unfortunately. I understand that hitter should have some responsibility of other players when he hits but it's also true that you have to have some responsibility to take the hit and you just can't put your head down beside board like that like Jagr did. Eventhough I admit that it wasn't the first time that Jarkko Ruutu does something like that. He is very argueable player here in Finland That wouldn't have been very wise think to do. You could have said adios to win in that game at the same second as you start hunt some player, especially if that player is Ruutu who enjoys of that kind of situations.

Re: Winter Olympics Well Mixer, to me it looked like he went to hurt Jagr. And what you wrote about Ruutu pretty much speaks for itself dosent it?:\

Eventhough I admit that it wasn't the first time that Jarkko Ruutu does something like that. He is very argueable player here in Finland
It seems he have some kind of reputation dont it?

Well Mixer, to me it looked like he went to hurt Jagr. And what you wrote about Ruutu pretty much speaks for itself dosent it?:\ It seems he have some kind of reputation dont it?
Yes he has bad reputation as a "rat" and if some player divide opinions it sure is Ruutu. I think he is most hated player in most of peoples mind (even before of that Jagr hit) when he does things like that. But I still won't believe he's purpose was to hurt Jagr. He just tried to check hard. If you watch team Canada there is about 10 guys who plays like Ruutu.

Re: Winter Olympics The thing about the revenge-like attitude of the Czechs which defo was there was not only after that hit on Jagr - he also hit Prochazka, another Czech player so badly he fell unconscious on the ice @ WC 1998 and most of the players remember that very well. IMO, he clearly went there to hurt Jagr and yes, there was enough time for him to change the direction - have seen it tens of times and Jagrs head was clearly against the board and R. could see it well from the distance. Also - he went there from behind (a little bit) and also tell me why would a player cross the whole rink @ full speed just to body check another player who was being taken care of by another one of the Finnish team? What also drives me mad is the reaction of the Finnish managers who said they simply didin't see anything (!). Only Selanne (sp?) admitted it was a nasty thing to do with no place on the ice at all. As for the "illegal" helmet - yes, it's the old kind, but nobody can wear anything not approved by the association - and, don't get me wrong, saying it was the helmet's fault that he injured himself (?) is a bit ridiculous. That said, the Finns look good this year and are in with a good chance to make the semis (at least).

Re: Winter Olympics One more thing - is it acceptable if a player like Ruttuu is leaving the ice all smile and waving towards the Czech players after what he did - isn't that a little bit of proof he did that on purpose? It certainly is in my eyes - and also this bit is why I think the management of the tourney should be able to do something which happens in football after such things - ban for at least one game. He sat out the rest of the match but as I said, it did him good rather than the opposite.

Tip Detail
SportIce Hockey
SelectionSwitzerland
Date2006-02-26
EventOlympic Games 2006 winner
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 51.00 (Back)
ReasoningI think it's worth a shot.As we all know during big events there are sometimes big surprises.Switzerland has good team which is able to fight with greatest teams.They have already beaten Czech Rep., and Canada.Two very good teams.They are playing without any pressure and they are determined to make big result.Swiss hockey is still improving and they have better and better national team.It would be great for them to win a title.For such big odds it's worth a shot.It's a tournament and everything can happen and during such a event like olympics there are many surprises.I hope this will be one of them.
The Swiss are clear dogs and are available @ 66/1 @ SJ while other teams are priced up in single figue odds (bar USA @ 20/1)

Also - he went there from behind (a little bit) and also tell me why would a player cross the whole rink @ full speed just to body check another player who was being taken care of by another one of the Finnish team?
Because Jagr is such a good player. Finland was getting penalty and it was important to take the puck quickly away from Czech to brake the game. In my opinion helping the other guy and checking Jagr (not like that to his head, but checking) was only reasonable thing to do there. Checking is part of the game anyway. That's why Scott Stevens was one the best defenders of all time. Not because of his skills with the puck.
What also drives me mad is the reaction of the Finnish managers who said they simply didin't see anything (!).
That was only wise thing to say. He wanted to see that from the video before saying anything that he can't take back. After seeing it he commented that it was technically a clean hit. Jagr was just unfortunate to drop his head just before the hit. He was also glad that Jagr is alright now.
One more thing - is it acceptable if a player like Ruttuu is leaving the ice all smile and waving towards the Czech players after what he did - isn't that a little bit of proof he did that on purpose?
No, maybe it's not acceptable. I think also that it was rude and not actually very discreet. Anyway it doesn't proof anything about him trying to hurt Jagr on purpose. It related mostly to what happened after that hit when Czech players jumped at him. Ruutu really is a rat and tries to do all he can to piss opponents out. I won't be defending him any more in here cause he really hasn't been my favorite player, but right now I'm happy he is in our team and not in any other team. But that's about him for now. This is just getting patriotic. Like I said in my post before it has got too much mediatime already. Let's forget about it and hope anything like that won't happen again in this tournament and all the best players will be able to play all the games. Let's focus on the game itself and finding out some profitable odds. All peace to everybody. :ok

Re: Winter Olympics Woman's curling Russia to bt Norway 11/10 Norway have qualified for the semi's and would most likely prefer to play Sweden who they hammered in the group phase. They had problems and lost to the other qualifiers Switzerland and Canada (not yet through but most probable) As it stands they play the Swiss and can't change this with a win as Sweden will be top qualifier. ...however with qualification sewn up they can afford to lose this and allow Canada to leapfrog them then they'd play Sweden who they've the phsycological edge over. I think we might see some "loose experimental shots." ;) Big Bet

Re: Winter Olympics Interesting games tomorrow at hockey. Swizerland will most obviously be 2nd in its group (if they just won't lose against Italy and I don't believe that). That leaves Sweden an opportunity to face Swizerland by losing against Slovakia. I won't say they will lose purposely, but what will be their motivation to try hard? On the other hand if Slovakia loses over 4 goals and Russia win USA, Slovakia will face Switzerland, but I guess that would be too harsh. Also Russians motivation is questionable against USA, cause they also has a chance to meet Swizerland by losing. On the other hand I quess Russians will never want to lose against USA, so maybe that can be forgetted. By summing these things I would maybe turn to back Slovakia against Sweden. Mostly cause Sweden's questionable motivation but also I quess Slovakia might enjoy more about winning their group, cause they were kind of underdogs before the tournament. And of course Slovakia has also played very good hockey so far. It would also be important how Czech and Canada plays, which one is third and which fourth. I quess it can also be asked what will be their motivation in that game? Is there any room in any speculation? Does Czechs want to meet Slovakia? Are Canadians trying to avoid Russia? On the other hand I quess both teams, Canada and Czech, has lot to improve in this tournament and this game is a place to turn their table so I expect they really take this game serious. Do you have any thoughts guys? Tulenos? Bamse?

Re: Winter Olympics Fully agree with thoughts about the Cze v Can game - both teams need to win to get running as neither has been in a good vein of form and both would probably like to end the group phase on a high note. How can you lift your game in the QF all of a sudden after losing most games and struggling even against lesser opponents anyway? So this one is not a betting proposition at all. Wouldn't read too much into the Russian willingness to beat the USA, they are a much more speculating side now and a US win is not out of question at all - after all both Czechs and Canadians have won one "real" or new Olympic medal so far leaving Russia well behind and by drawing the Swiss, they have all but booked a SF ticket. The Slovaks are surely motivated to win the group to meet the Czech - by meeting them in the QF - this will make the QF stage something like a final and even if they lose later on, supposing they manage to beat the Czech, which is what most of the Slovaks want to prove they are no worse then the most fancied rival side, it will feel like winning the whole thing to them. With rather debatable Sweidsh attitude, the Slovak win looks like another worthy bet.

Woman's curling Russia to bt Norway 11/10 Norway have qualified for the semi's and would most likely prefer to play Sweden who they hammered in the group phase. They had problems and lost to the other qualifiers Switzerland and Canada (not yet through but most probable) As it stands they play the Swiss and can't change this with a win as Sweden will be top qualifier. ...however with qualification sewn up they can afford to lose this and allow Canada to leapfrog them then they'd play Sweden who they've the phsycological edge over. I think we might see some "loose experimental shots." ;) Big Bet
RESULT :clap :dude Hope you all made a few quid on this obvious Norway ploy

The Slovaks are surely motivated to win the group to meet the Czech - by meeting them in the QF - this will make the QF stage something like a final and even if they lose later on, supposing they manage to beat the Czech, which is what most of the Slovaks want to prove they are no worse then the most fancied rival side, it will feel like winning the whole thing to them. With rather debatable Sweidsh attitude, the Slovak win looks like another worthy bet.
I'm on Slovakia today. It really sounds like a profit bet. Should have made my mind quicker yesterday, cause Slovakia was 2,3 back then. Now you can only get 2,1 (Bf).

Sweden +4.5 here at 1.75 with laddies.
CAN-SWE 4-1 :clap Dunno if the bet caused any interest but it was won... Anyhow, havent had time to post until now but i cant say that those who bet on the slovaks did the right thing. Feel a bit embarrassed to be swedish today since they didnt put up a fight at all except for the goalie Tellqvist. This leaves a problem for us bettors since we dont know how good they really are.. some of the best players in the world but they looked so uninspired today. So anyways, its the Swiss for us tomorrow. Will not bet on Sweden to win as there is a chance of a boring, defensive draw here. An under bet would perhaps be a good idea? In the other games Finland look OK. Fine game of hockey so far and I do believe they often play well against the yanks. Also USA have the late game tonight and the early game tomorrow. Any thoughts guys? GL tomorrow guys, think ill put some money on the Finns. Hyvä Soumi. :hope

Re: Winter Olympics Olympics, Slalom MEN. - 25th February. Benjamin Raich to win gold. Beni Raich is not the first favourite in Slalom simply because he 'fell' so many times in World Cup races, even though he was many times best after first run. - But if we have to analyze he's speed and tehnique and everything else, he is without doubts best tehnical skiier around.. - And he proved that already winning gold in Giant Slalom. - I think with that gold he broke the ice, and now no one will be able to stop him in Slalom race. - Rocca won five races in a row in World Cup, but in Torino he's not looking at his best looking from his results from combined event.. And he feels pressure from whole Italy to win a medal. And I think he will win it, but not gold.:) MAX STAKES ON RAICH! He deserves it.. [email protected].

Re: Winter Olympics Curling GB to bt Finland (nr to Evens as poss) GB just played a poor match all round v Fins in group phase and still they only lost 5-2. Back on track in last match they have more than enough experience at this level to progress to the main Gold/Silver medal clash.

Curling GB to bt Finland (nr to Evens as poss) GB just played a poor match all round v Fins in group phase and still they only lost 5-2. Back on track in last match they have more than enough experience at this level to progress to the main Gold/Silver medal clash.
I don't know about "they only lost 5-2". If looking scores I would say it looks like very easy win for finns. Great B 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 - 2 Finland 0 0 3 0 0 1 1 0 0 - 5 Finland will also get the edge of the last stone in this game...

Re: Winter Olympics The over (1goal) in the first periods of todays matches (ice hockey) seems to be terribly overpriced - 2.10 in the Sweden match and 2.35 in the USA match so far. Also watch out for mispricing in-running - B365 must have got hammered in the first period of the Sweden match (and their odds fell by 50 per cent at one stage after being overgenerous;))

both QF two goals in the first so far;)
Very good calls there. :clap I'm also on Russia today. I have really been impressed by their play so far. Very skilled players, which are fun to watch, but it's interesting to see this game how they manage to play as a team. Their defence hasn't been very impressive so far, but I quess they have based their game mostly to offence. Althought Nabokov has been good. Canada is anyway very hard team to win, but in my opinion Russia should be booked as even here, but bookers consider them as dogs here. I quess prices has come a little down already, but at some point of day I managed to get 2,9 from Russia at Centrebet and it tastes good. btw Swedens questionable tactic to get Swizerland against them seemed to work as they had easy win over Swiss. Finland is also looking good by leading 4-2 after two periods.

btw Swedens questionable tactic to get Swizerland against them seemed to work as they had easy win over Swiss. Finland is also looking good by leading 4-2 after two periods.
Some good form in this thread it appears!! Good work guys :ok As you said Mixer, Sweden had a questionable tactic and game was soooo boring but with the easy win today I cant say that the tactic was stupid :\ Lets hope for Finland to win today as they will get you guys in the semi and they will win me the money.. :clap

I managed to get 2,9 from Russia
You are surely talking about 3-way betting here, Mixer. The 6/5 (2.2) price is the ML one - even better as OT doesn't count in Euro hockey, ie. here either - I was waiting and it was a bit worth it - finally took 2.25 (5/4) and am quite happy with the price - you can always back them in-running @ B365 if the game goes to OT, and I suspect the price will be much higher due to the amount of money. Surprisingly enough, the books can't separate the Czechs and Slovaks - and it also looks the money weight is on the Czechs - not very keen on 10/11 (ML) available @ B365 (only 5/6 @ SJ) so far. Also beware - ML prices on B365 are equal to a similar looking market @ Stan James - but the market over @ SJ is for a team to qualify!

You are surely talking about 3-way betting here' date=' Mixer. The 6/5 (2.2) price is the ML one - even better as OT doesn't count in Euro hockey, ie. here either - I was waiting and it was a bit worth it - finally took 2.25 (5/4) and am quite happy with the price - you can always back them in-running @ B365 if the game goes to OT, and I suspect the price will be much higher due to the amount of money.[/quote'] Yes, you are right. I mean regular time 1X2 bet.