** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Not too bad. Although I did manage to find a short priced loser:\ and Blake messed up in the 3rd set. BURGSMULLER v Schuettler @ 2.47 Pinnacle 2pts :D WON profit 2.94pts ANCIC v Calleri @ 1.35 Centrebet 8pts :D WON profit 2.8pts BAGHDATIS v Gimelstob @ 1.373 Pinnacle 8pts :D WON profit 2.984pts KOHLSCHEIBER v Dlouhy @ 1.5 William Hill 4pts :D WON profit 2pts MOYA v Pavel @ 1.25 Bet365 8pts :@ LOST loss 8pts TURSUNOV v Henman @ 2.00 Paddy Power 2pts :D WON profit 2pts BLAKE 3-0 v Acasuso @ 1.61 Coral 4pts :@ LOST loss 4pts Stepanek/Nalbandian/Blake/Berdych/Ljubicic/Roddick @ 1.69 Coral 4pts :D WON profit 2.76pts W/L = 6/2 Staked = 40pts Profit = 3.484pts Yield = 8.71%

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) TIPSAREVIC v Seppi @ 3.26 Pinnacle 2pts I'm still not convinced by Seppi. Yeah he had a good week last week but that doesn't mean it will continue - also he had a lot of tennis last week after tough qualifying and a lot of tough matches in the main draw. He is still certain;y a clay court player and because of that he cannot be this much of a favourite. Tipsarevic did well here last year, coming through qualifying and beating Braccili in the first round before losing to Hrbaty in 4. He has started this year pretty well, qualifying for Doha before losing to in-form Tursunov the qualifying here without dropping a set. I have to feel that Seppi is still being overrated since the win over Hewitt, and Tipsarevic has more experience on hard courts (he is 53-37 on hard compared to Seppis 26-18) and that could be decisive. Also there has been quite a bit of money for Tipsarevic, especially on Pinnacle.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Done my work for tonight's matches, and it is good to see I agree with some already fancied. Djokovic to bt Goldstein 4/11 Tote Vliegen to bt C Rochus 8/13 Tote Djokovic is an improving player on all surfaces, the same cannot be said for his opponent. Surely the Serbian will prove too good. Vliegen has been playing well so far this year, and must be able to outlast the diminutive Belgian. 10 pt double Murray to bt Chela 1.66 Unibet As long as this doesn't go the distance, we have to be sweet on Murray's chances. Chela seems to let his head drop far too quickly, and although Murray hardly ever wins easily, he should be good enough against his higher-ranked opponent. 9 pts Lisnard to bt Monaco 13/8 Tote I can only echo Edtkh's remarks on this one, heartening that we both see this as good value. Monaco is almost exclusively a clay court player, while Lisnard has performed to some standard on the harder courts. Monaco seems to have no right to be such a favourite here, on all known stats. 4 pts Hanescu v Coria Over 36.5 games 1.85 Unibet Andreev v Almagro Over 34.5 games 1.85 Unibet These look like 4 setters to me, at least. Hanescu will try and try, and Coria is hardly the most dedicated, concentrated of players. He always seems to have periods during a match where he lets things slip. Actually I have a squeak for Hanescu to win this, but will just stick with the total games bet. Andreev playing well, but Almagro is another one for the future. Similar to Coria, Andreev has a knack of going missing for a while during matches, it seems he always has to go three sets to win in normal ATP events. Hopefully he will be extended again tonight. 5 pt singles 3 pt double.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Hi guys, We hope to continue our good 2006 record (7-1) with the following Australian Open pick: HAAS TO D GASQUET @ 1.6 on betfair In a match-up between two very talented players we pick Haas simply because of his superior recent form. Gasquet is 0:2 in 2006. On the other hand, we have Tommy Haas who reached the SF of Doha tournament defeating Wawrinka, Youzhny and Henman before losing to Federer and reaching the finals of Kooyong Invitational tournament defeating Federer(!) and Coria before losing to Roddick in a close final match. www.WinningTipster.com

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Treble for me In-form Haas to beat out of form Gasquet 1/2 Quality up and comer Djokovic to beat journeyman Challenge Tour player Goldstein 4/9 In form Seppi to beat Tipsarevic who has hardly won a match since Wimbledon 4/1

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) gone for some interest in the Murray game. Murray to win 3-2 @ 6.5 Bet365 Chela to win 3-1 @ 5.00 Bet365 If the game goes the distance, i think Murray will still take it based on recent performance, albeit i dont want him to be behind in the match. If he is losing 1-2 to Chela I have also taken 1-3 to Chela as a cover bet.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Looking at the evening session matches, you've got to fancy this double strongly... 15pts Hingis-Grosjean(2.57 @ Ladbrokes) Hingis is way overrated in this one - Zvonareva is arguably the weakest among the seeds in the already-frail world of the WTA players. Hingis may still yet to find the rhythm to suggest she's anything remotely close to resembling the player she once was, but she should definitely have too much for the hapless Russian - massive, massive value IMO. Similarly, Grosjean should have little trouble dispatching the spentforce that is Philippoussis - the Scud's only here as a wildcard and very often prices are set with an awful lot of his history in mind IMO. If anyone needs any reminding how far Philippoussis has fallened, you need only cast your mind back to last year's US Open when he went down in straight sets to Karol Kucera :eek . Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 75.00pts Profit/Loss : -25.00pts

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Not too bad. Murray was awful and Gonzalez messed up the accy:wall MAYER v Lee @ 1.50 Coral 4pts :D WON profit 2pts VLIEGEN v C Rochus @ 1.57 Coral 4pts :D WON profit 2.28pts MURRAY v Chela @ 1.629 Pinnacle 4pts :@ LOST loss 4pts DAVYDENKO v Karlovic @ 1.408 Pinnacle 4pts :D WON profit 1.632pts HAAS v Gasquet @ 1.53 ToteSport 4pts :D WON profit 2.12pts LUCZAK v Minar @ 1.72 Blue Sq 4pts :D WON profit 2.88pts Coria/Hrbaty/Gonzalez/Hewitt @ 1.60 Coral 4pts :@ LOST loss 4pts TIPSAREVIC v Seppi @ 3.26 Pinnacle 2pts :D WON profit 4.52pts W/L = 12/4 Staked = 70pts Profit = 10.916pts Yield = 15.59% :dude

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Not exactly an ideal day for Day 2, but a 6.55 profit sure beats the joke I had on Day 1. Will be back with more for tomorrow after I've done more research... :lol Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 81.55pts Profit/Loss : -18.45pts

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) For tonight, I'll have another go at some more clowns.. Robredo to bt Tursunov 2.1 Betfair Come on, Tursunov only beat Henman, for goodness' sake. Robredo is a good player when he can be bothered, not an underdog here. Expekt I'll be wrong though. 9 points Stepanek to bt Baghdatis 4/6 Sporting Odds Wary of backing something at Sporting Odds when they are best price, but I fancy Stepanek to grind through tonight vs the talented Baghdatis. Higher ranked, more experience, highly annoying to opponents, all seems to be in Step's favour. Maybe a slight bookies' overreaction to Baghdatis' emerging status as a future star. 18 pts Muller to bt Lopez 2.65 Centrebet This would be with a view to laying off if Muller, for instance, wins the first set, but I don't suppose we can do that here, unless I come on during the match and state I have laid off, and at what price. Lopez has been a bit erratic lately, and Muller is a tricky opponent to most, notwithstanding his struggle to see off Mello in round one. Might just sharpen him up a bit though. Can see a longish match, must remember to look at the total games market for this. 4 points. Opening bank; 100 pts Profit/Loss; -8.01 pts Current bank: 91.99 pts.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Hi guys, We continue with another Australian Open ladies pick: YAN TO D BAMMER @ 2 on StanJames Just 2 years ago, there were no Chinese players in the world's top 100 of ladies (or mens) rankings. Today we have 4 Chinese players in top 100 and few others coming up the ranking. Zi Yan is another one of these young talented players. Yan won her first WTA tournament last October in her home country and she started 2006 with some great form. Yan came through qualies of Sydney last week, defeated Chakvetadze and came very close to winning against an eventual finalist Schiavone. Yan defeated another top 15 player Natalie Dechy this morning and she must be a favourite in this 2nd round match. Take these early odds on StanJames as they might come down. www.WinningTipster.com

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) BAGHDATIS v Stepanek @ 2.50 Betfair 2pts (before com) Can't help but look at the youngster. I can't get past his form here last year coming through qualifying then beating Ljubicic and Robredo before going down to Federer in the 4th round. He was pretty strong in the 1st round against Gimelstob coming through in striaght sets. I can't help but feel that Stepanek would prefer the courts faster an I think that's justified when looking at his record at the Aussie in the past few years where he seems to really struggle to most of his victories. I also look at his record of 11-11 on outdoor hard courts and it's not that good. I feel that Baghdatis has the movement and strokes to really cause Stepanek some problems. This one should be close.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Day 3 seems to offer a couple more bets with decent values and here's hoping Day 2 has turned the page for me... :hope 15pts Santoro-Gaudio-Berdych-Nalbandian (2.64 @ Ladbrokes) I've never fancied Pavel all my life and having watched the footage of Moya's match, the Spaniard was utter crap(though Murray might run him close in his encounter with Chela) - expect Santoro to prevail in the battle of the veterans. Burgsmuller flattered to deceive against Schuettler and Gaudio should have too much against the aging German. Similarly, I don't expect Simon to work miracles again - that's before considering the 5-setter against Massu should take its toll - and Berdych should put him to the sword. Bandy is an incredibly consistent player with bags of experience at the highest level - that could prove decisive, really. Wawrinka isn't bad, but I just don't think he'll have what it takes to edge out Nalbandian. 15pts Lopez-Garcia Lopez-Roddick (2.64 @ Ladbrokes) Moodie may be a big-server, but he's up against the finest in that department for me - Roddick's all-round game will prove too much for the veteran South African. Lopez loves this place and often seems to put up good performances in Australia over the years. I really can't see him losing this one against the woefully inconsistent Muller who made hard work of dispatching Mello the other day. Garcia Lopez did not beat Dent by luck and he's certainly shown the mettle you'd require to survive in Grand Slams - Benneteau is quite simply a player who belongs at the Challenger level and I'd be hard pressed to see him shade this(he'd be lucky if he could push Garcia-Lopez close). Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 81.55pts Profit/Loss : -18.45pts

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) LOPEZ v Muller @ 1.625 Pinnacle 4pts Not impressed by Muller in the first round at all - taking 5 sets to beat Mello is just poor. He crumbled in Chennai against Ljubicic and this should be far tough a test. Both lefties here, and Lopex has the much stronger all round game. He also has a great record against other lefties, should like the court conditions and I fancy him to be far too strong. NALBANDIAN v Wawrinka @ 1.284 Pinnacle 8pts These odds look to be artificially high due to Nalbandians poor performance in the first round. He had a virus which forced him to pull out of the exhibition event last week and he was still feeling the effects. I expect (hope) he is closer to being recovered for this match and if he is this will be very easy. I just don't see anything in Wawrinkas game which is going to hurt Nalbandian. SANTORO v Pavel @ 1.61 Coral 4pts Surely Pavel is being overrated after his win over Moya? Let's face it, Moya was awful. Santoro leads the H2H 3-2 and has won the last two meetings. He had a much more comfortable match in his first round and I expect him to wear down Pavel in this encounter. TURSUNOV v Robredo @ 1.94 Betfair 4pts (before com) Very nice price on Tursunov here I feel. He showed against Henman all of his explosive game and I think that sort of attack with be very fruitful against Robredo. Robredo hasn't started the year off too well and I see another loss for him here. Tursunov beat him just a couple of weeks ago in Sydney and that has to give him confidence. Robredo has a lousy record here, since his first appearance in 2001 he has gone 1st round, 2nd round, 1st round, 1st round, 3rd round. I expect the aggresive Russian to give him another disappointment here.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Have just put a fiver on Hingis to win overall @ 21.00. Figured it was worth a shot, she's won three times in the past. Only really looking for an outside best to spice the tourney up a bit, and she's got as good a chance as any of the other outsiders. Besides, with the injuries to Sharapova and Clijsters (IIRC), Williams out already, Henin-Hardenne having spent a fair amount of time on the sidelines, etc., I think it's anyone's game...

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Why do you think anyone would care?:unsure :@ :@ :@
Just to tell you guys bookies are dillusional when it comes to BRITISH tennis because of the hype. How can a player who is very experienced and ranked 20 or so places above murray be the underdog? Murray is all hype, he has yet to beat a top player in his entire career.

Just to tell you guys bookies are dillusional when it comes to BRITISH tennis because of the hype. How can a player who is very experienced and ranked 20 or so places above murray be the underdog? Murray is all hype, he has yet to beat a top player in his entire career.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol So how come you didn't say anything before the match?:tongue2

You also told us how much of a walkover round 1 was for the top women :lol But then I guess you probably don't count Venus Williams amongst that group :ok

You also told us how much of a walkover round 1 was for the top women :lol But then I guess you probably don't count Venus Williams amongst that group :ok
yes i agree, that was a huge shock. that match i probably would have labelled as "guaranteed" win. Sharapova, henin and davenport, i one of them to whitewash their opponents but they all dropped 3 games

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) :spank FootballTennis for after-eventing:( One more question, mate - did you really back AGAINST S Williams one day and FOR as well one day later with real cash? :eek (both posted within this thread).:eek

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) I wouldn't be shocked by anything the Williams sisters do nowdays cos they really can't be arsed with their tennis anymore,they only turn to pick up some easy money and please the sponsors. The outside interests take up majority of their time leaving too little for training.IMO about time they pulled their heads out of the backsides and got on with it,or quit cos it's disrespectful to all the other players on the tour. Sorry rant over.