** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Definitely the value in e/w, but if you went solely for Roddick on the outright(and many places throw up odds solely for the outright and not e/w), then there's just no way you can be better off trying to lay him back for the final, as opposed to just backing him to win w/o Federer.
Of course, but the win only ones can **** off:spank

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Mens Outright FEDERER @ 1.55 Betfair 6pts Now I know it's obvious, but can anyone see past a Federer victory? On this surface I just cannot see anybody touching him. A few places can; Safin would but he isn't here, Nadal and Gasquet cause him problems on clay, and Kiefer and Gonzalez seem to be able to get a set not enough for the win. I think Berdych will be able to run him close later in the year, but that will have to be on the faster hard courts in America or indoors. The draw has been kind and you simply cannot see any problems for Federer. He looked very strong in Doha and his ankle injury looks to have cleared up. Note: I think I need different staking for the outrights as they need to be flexible for laying off later on, so for outrights stakes will be variable. Summary of outrights: Mens Outright FEDERER @ 1.55 Betfair 6pts Mens Outright RODDICK @ 12.00 EW (1/2 1,2) William Hill 1pt EW Mens Outright ANCIC @ 151.00 Canbet 2pts Womens Outright HENIN-HARDENNE @ 5.50 Eurobet 2pts PIERCE @ 19.00 E/W (1/2, 1,2) Stan James 1pt E/W

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) These players are favourites for me. First set in first match is important. They can make a break and then only watch the result of the first set. Odds are agreeable. 1st SET Exact 6:4 Blake @8,0 Ljubicic @8,0 Ancic @7,0 Robredo @7,0 Kiefer @7,0 Johansson @6,0 Mirnyi @7,0 Moya @7,0 Dent @7,0 Gaudio @7,0 Henman @7,0 Zabaleta @10,0

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Are you ready? This might take a while! I still ****ing love tennis:nana :cow BURGSMULLER v Schuettler @ 2.47 Pinnacle 2pts I'm not even sure that I make Schuettler favourite for this one. He has been in awful form for a long time and that didn't look like changing much in Chennai where he beat Vicente (wow!) then lost to Vliegen easily. It is a long time (3 years) since he reached to final of this event and since then he is 1-2 at this tournament. Burgsmuller came through qualifying very easily and the confidence he will get fromt that should help him a lot here. Since 2000 he is 10-6 in the tournament and that's alright. H2H is very interesting. It stands at 2-2 but all 4 were on clay and Burgmuller retired in the 3rd set of one of them and in fact all 4 went to 3 sets. This is important as Burgsmuller is absolutely hopeless on clay. He went 2-11 last year and 29-63 since 2000 and yet he manages to go 2-2 with Schuettler - who is 56-63 on clay since 2000 and would have on average had much tougher opposition. I think because of that Burgsmuller can cause Schuettler a lot of problems on this surface and I consider him 50/50 for this one.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) ANCIC v Calleri @ 1.35 Centrebet 8pts OK, so Ancic failed in the final a few days ago - however, for the rest of the week he was awesome. Also, he has a very solid record at the Aussie, going 7-3 in the past 3 years with losses against Ferrero, Philippoussis and Safin which are no disgrace. His opponenet Calleri tends to have a problem with big servers, going 3-7 in his last ten matches. He has never done well at the Aussie, and since 2000 records of 41-44 on hard courts and 13-18 in Grand Slams don't look too good against Ancics 73-57 and 27-16. I think this should be pretty straightforward. BAGHDATIS v Gimelstob @ 1.373 Pinnacle 8pts Baghdatis had a bad match last week but in Doha he looked to be playing well enough. He has good memories of the Aussie from his run here last year and comes up against a very average opponent. Gimelstob has a record of 1-5 at the Aussie Open with some very poor losses and he only win against Konstantinos Economidis :lol in qualifying 3 years ago. Gimelstob has a big serve but not too much to back it up with and I think Baghdatis' speed and intensity around the court will be far too much.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) KOHLSCHEIBER v Dlouhy @ 1.5 William Hill 4pts This is Dlouhy's first time in the main draw of the Aussie and I don't give him much chance. He lost to Berrer in Chennai and isn't bringing any form into this match. He is main;y a clay court player and Kohl is certain;y more suited to the rebound ace hard courts. Kohl ended last year positively winning a challenger and should come into this feeling good after reaching the quarters in Adelaide (including a win over Hewitt). He reached the last 16 here last year and should come into this match with a lot of confidence which should be decisive. MOYA v Pavel @ 1.25 Bet365 8pts Moya withdrew last week before his match against Blake but I don't think it's any kind of serious problem, just tiredness after his run in Chennai and long match with Grosjean. Anyway, take this top price with Bet365 as they void if anyone retires at any stage of the match. Pavel is past it to be honest, he hasn't put together any results for a long time. That's all of the analysis, he brings nothing which will be able to hurt Moya.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) TURSUNOV v Henman @ 2.00 Paddy Power 2pts We all know the H2H in this one don't we?:lol Henman is still striggling, a win over Gasquet was followed up with a very poor serving performance against Haas. Still cannot be sure if he is 100% and his sharpness is certainly in question. Tursunov has the type of aggresive game that will be able to take advantage of this. He has started the year quite strongly, reaching the quarters in both Doha and Sydney. I think over 5 sets, he will have a lot of oppotunties to break, and should start off as a slight favourite IMO.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) BLAKE 3-0 v Acasuso @ 1.61 Coral 4pts This looks like a nice enough price with places like Stan James going 1.36. Blake comes in fine form after winning in Sydney however a tough final is a concern. But Acasuso comes in off a poor loss to C Rochus in Auckland. Blake beat Acasuso convincing in straight sets in the 2nd round here in 2003. In fact, Blake has won his last 3 first round matches here 3-0 so I think this is worth a shot.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Stepanek/Nalbandian/Blake/Berdych/Ljubicic/Roddick @ 1.69 Coral 4pts This is the obligatory Grand Slam early round accy. Coral are actually best price or pretty close to best price for all of these so I think it's worthwhile. All should be very strong and are playing against very poor opposition. I know I've included Ljubicic, but he does usually manage to get past the first round:lol. I think that's it for now:ok

Stepanek/Nalbandian/Blake/Berdych/Ljubicic/Roddick @ 1.69 Coral 4pts This is the obligatory Grand Slam early round accy. Coral are actually best price or pretty close to best price for all of these so I think it's worthwhile. All should be very strong and are playing against very poor opposition. I know I've included Ljubicic, but he does usually manage to get past the first round:lol. I think that's it for now:ok
You might as well add a few guaranteed wins in the womens 1st round, like Sharapova, V Williams, Davenport....etc and maybe bump the odds to around 2.00(evens)

You might as well add a few guaranteed wins in the womens 1st round, like Sharapova, V Williams, Davenport....etc and maybe bump the odds to around 2.00(evens)
Yeah but I know literally nothing about who they are playing:unsure. And most of the women are injured:unsure

Yeah but I know literally nothing about who they are playing:unsure. And most of the women are injured:unsure
Doesn't matter, injured or not 1st rounds is a walk in the park with womens tennis. Unlike mens tennis some early rounds are tough, with womens tennis the weak player will be lucky to get 3-4 games against the superstar players.

Roddick to win men's open at 10/1 and Nalbandian to win at 16/1.
Good luck with those:ok. You know I fancy Roddick, have you sen Nalbandians draw? Posssible 3rd round with Nieminen, 4th round against Blake, quarter final against Ancic and semi final against Roddick:eek. That looks very tough and all before getting to probably Federer in the final;).
nalbandian has got a 6-4 winning record over federer and beat him in last meeting in masters cup final.
Mmm, not exactly a representative H2H though is it?:D Nalbandian retired against Kiefer last week, anyone know why?:unsure And :welcome to PL!

With Nalbandian having 6-4 head to head record over federer and winning their last meeting in masters cup final, that must mean something.
Sorry mate but I don't like it. Nalbandian won the first five and they were all before Federer became "the special one". Federer was injured in the Masters Cup:\. It's the same thing with Henman, he used to dominate Federer. Anyway, I don't think Nalbandian will get far enough to play Federer, fancy Blake or Roddick to take him out. But anything can happen, especially now I've gone against him:lol .

Sorry mate but I don't like it. Nalbandian won the first five and they were all before Federer became "the special one". Federer was injured in the Masters Cup:\. It's the same thing with Henman' date=' he used to dominate Federer. Anyway, I don't think Nalbandian will get far enough to play Federer, fancy Blake or Roddick to take him out. But anything can happen, especially now I've gone against him:lol .[/quote'] mate i watched the whole of that final, nalbandian was at his VERY best and the better player on the day won. Federer was not injured at all, he was a little tired though. I had £10 on nalby to win that match @7.6 with betfair:tongue2

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) The first biggie of the season so hopefully playing safe with the first days play. Ancic/Berdych for me 2 singles to get going.Both players in fair form going in and should be nice warm up matches:ok Good luck to everyone the next 2 weeks may the big names do us proud:D

Whey I! Just realised Henman will be on at 8.30am tomorrow morning. Great way to start the week:nana :cow :clap :moon
He is so bad, most female players would smoke him in a tennis match. i think he will lose his 1st round match against whoever he is playing i never heard of.

No he wouldn't. He would beat any female player easily. Oh dear:eyes
betfair have the other guy as 1.98 favourite, odds pretty even. the top females are much more skilled than him and are probably stronger. Henman's rankingis inflated and overated, i believe he is currently 35-40, but many players below him are better than him.

betfair have the other guy as 1.98 favourite, odds pretty even.
My comment was about you saying you hadn't heard of the other guy - I think you'll find I think this other guy will win too;).
the top females are much more skilled than him and are probably stronger. Henman's rankingis inflated and overated, i believe he is currently 35-40, but many players below him are better than him.
A few years ago Venus and Serena played an exhibition set each against some guy ranked 400 or something really low. He beat them 6-0 and 6-1. It isn't even a contest with men against women, let alone a man who won a TMS event, reached grand slam semi finals on 3 surfaces and was inside the worlds top 10 for over 400 weeks.

Doesn't matter' date=' injured or not 1st rounds is a walk in the park with womens tennis. Unlike mens tennis some early rounds are tough, with womens tennis the weak player will be lucky to get 3-4 games against the superstar players.[/quote'] Do you remember a game in 1999 I think it was at Wimbledon? Unknown 16 year old ranked 174 in the world beat defending champion in first round. Dokic over Hingis. Agreed that generally the 1st round in no problem, but the shocks can happen.

Do you remember a game in 1999 I think it was at Wimbledon? Unknown 16 year old ranked 174 in the world beat defending champion in first round. Dokic over Hingis. Agreed that generally the 1st round in no problem' date=' but the shocks can happen.[/quote'] yes but has not happened this century yet on a proper surface (not clay):lol that were the old days, wake up into the new world.:clap