Cheltenham Ante post thread

bowles10

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread

SportHorse Racing
EventCheltenham Gold Cup
SelectionOur Vic (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 29.00 (Back)
ReasoningIf Our Vic is confirmed to run in the gold cup he will go off at around 12/1. So im going to take a chance and back him at 28/1 each way which is cracking value for a very much underrated horse. He can jump well, can come from behind or be ridden handy and is proven around Cheltenham. The obvious worry is his stamina but I really think he will cope with it. He didnt stay in the RSA Chase 2 years ago but he was still a young horse then and he has improved further since. 28/1 is simply too big about him and providing he just see's out this trip it is a screaming each way bet.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SportHorse Racing
EventChampion Hurdle
SelectionHardy Eustace
Strength5/10
Date14/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 7.00 (Back)
ReasoningWill Hardy Eustace go off at 6/1 come Tuesday. Of course he won't. He will go off at around 4/1 or 7/2 I reckon as he is going for a 3rd Champion Hurdle so the Irish will wade in. Hardy has proved he is a true champion when it comes to Cheltenham and he peaks right in spring time when it matters. I can see him making all once again and saying "thou shall not pass" all the way up the hill. Brave Inca is a huge huge danger with McCoy on board but just like McCoy, Hardy Eustace is Hardy by Nature and Hardy by name.

SportHorse Racing
EventSupreme Novices Hurdle
SelectionRasharrow (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/03/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 28.00 (Back)
ReasoningFar to big a price for this animal. He may not have done anything over hurdles yet compared to his bumper form but he has had a troubled season so far and Lenny hasn't been able to find a few races to suit. This horse prefers good raceable ground and he will get that come the opening day of the festival. He was only beaten a length by Missed That in the bumper last year and that form has been franked since. A good stern gallop will suit and as long as the ground does stay good I think he will be involved in the finish.

my advice would be to stall all bets at the moment because with rain forcast a lot of things could change
weatherman, rain forecast until monday & then dry weather thorughout the week, by wednesday itll be good ground as it dries so quickly there.

my bets as they stand various combinations of ew doubles on these (those in brackets also) Arkle - Accordion Etoile 9/2 (plus hoo la baloo) Champion Hurdle - Arcalis 6/1 R & SA novice hurdle - Denman 3/1 R & SA chase - Crozan10/1 (plus Our Ben) Queen Mother - Ashley Brook 7/1 World Hurdle - Mighty man 9/1 Gold cup - Darkness 40/1 (plus ollie Magern) those in bold still in with a fair shout. also: Supreme Nov Hurdle TEMOIN 90.0 won today:D QM Champ Chase CONTRABAND 60.0 will it run? Sun Alliance Nov Chase CELTIC SON 90.0 2nd LTO Sun Alliance Nov Hurdle ORCADIAN 140.0 won 2 weeks ago Ryanair chase MY WILL 46.0 good 3rd LTO Brit Ins Nov Hurdle ZEITGEIST 120.0 missed a run this week Triumph Hurdle LINNET 50.0 won LTO i only need one of those to come in TBH to make a few quid. also: Nikola (supreme nov hurdle) at 50/1 won last week going to add: Bongo Fury 50.0 Betfair or 33/1 P power for the County hurdle. was 2nd to Essex in the Totesport trophy last feb in front of Al Eile. Flopped at Cheltenham in this race last year when 2nd fav for the race. Hasntr been out since last April & will be an excellent training feat by pipe to get it home but i think he has some horses being kept back & this could be one of them.
note that Pipe has Bongo entered in the imperial cup on saturday. Come on my son!

SportHorse Racing
EventBrit Insurance Nov Hrdle - Cheltenham
SelectionBlack Jack Ketchum
Strength10/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 2.75 (Back)
Reasoningwill probably be the shortest price of the week at around 6/4. Many people's banker after holding a respectable entry in the world hurdle but surely will go for this race as this stage of its career. Trained by Jonjo, unbeaten on all 5 starts in career on flat & jumps. Will have to be a good un to beat this one.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Quote from the BBC: Asian Maze is likely to miss next week's Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham - and run in the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle instead. The dual Grade One-winning mare was as low as 5-1 for the stayers' race but trainer Tom Mullins indicated she will go for Tuesday's two-mile championship. "We are leaning towards the Champion Hurdle now and I would say she is 90% certain to run in that race," he said.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I mentioned this in another thread, but i believe the odds of 3.00 or above on Beef Or Salmon for a place, available at Betfair, are a steal. that effectively makes him the equivalent to an 8/1 shot. With the rain around, ground could be softish and BoS is defo the classiest horse in the race. I know there is a lot of doubt as to whether he handles the course, but surely the price will not be better than 4/1 on the day. So my bet BoS TBP in GC @ 3.00 or above (currently 3.2) i've backed it from 3.35 down.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread showers forecast now all week at Cheltenham!! 2 days ago, it said dry from Tuesday so take this with a pinch of salt. However, some of these races could be a slog! The only good thing is that the course hasnt been raced on since New years day & will be excellent turf. The new course on Friday will only be G/Soft at worst.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I was at the London Cheltenham Preview tonight, Mark Johnson (commentator), Paddy Power, Eddie Freemantle (pro punter) & Phil Smith (senior jumps handicapper) Phil Smith the senior jumps handicapper said: Basilea Star WILL WIN the 4m1f race. 5.2 on Betfair now. Apparently he is a good thing in this conditions race. I'm sure the Pipe/Johnson team will get a half decent amateur to ride him! Paddy Power reported shrewd money on Cobreces for the Foxhunters & Mark Johnson (a hunter chase expert) said thats his fancy as well. Decent price @ 9.2 Betfair. Harbour Pilot is a LAY. The team are a bit keen on Blazing Bailey for the Triumph in reversing form with Kasbar Bliss fromn Sandown 2 weeks ago. 29s on Betfair could be a big price. Overlut is top rated in this race (french horse) Phil Smith said Kauto Star is a penalty kick for the Champion Chase. And Zaiyad is expected to run a Massive race in either engagement he takes up. Apparently he is only a pound below Denman on RSA Hurdle and about 14lbs ahead on anything else in the Supreme Novice on what he has achieved so far. He could be the winner for the french! They think Sweet Wake & Moscow Flyer are LAYs. Its intresting on how many people think intresting Outsider LORD OF ILLUSION could run a massive race in the Gold Cup. Phil Smith rates this ones chances, as an outsider does usually spring a surprise and this could be the one this time. He is 15s for a place on Betfair! Ruby Walsh may ride Irish Invader in the Bumper. Feemantle said Briareus is overpriced and is the best of the English better than Arcalis. 23s on Betfair. They think Brave Inca may be overraced this season and they doubt about Hardy Eustace with his not so good prep this season. At this moment, the handicappers are a real puzzle to solve! and its better to leave them until the final decs are made. Although Phil Smith said GREEN TANGO is dangerously well handicapped in the Grand Annual. They have mixed views about whether Racing Demon has the speed to win the Arkle. They are keen on Don't Be Shy though. Typically PP likes Our Ben for the RSA Chase. Hope this helps.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread :clap Great write up Cosmetic! - The weather is gonna determine quite a lot in the next few days! with snow and rain around, the forecast good ground might not materialise and we could get some massive shocks! I was hoping we could get a thread going for one of the national newspaper competitions as there is some really good prize money on offer! The Daily Mirror for instance has the "Select A Stable" Cheltenham Competition with up to £100k in prizes - £60k for the winner! simple format you pick 2 banker selections, 4 strong fancies, 4 good chances, 4 outside chances and you get 2 substitutes in case you have any non runners and it's £5 for 1 entry & £20 for 5 entries. I personally like to have a go at these things and I have hit the goalpost a couple of times. Plus the fact with so many great tipsters on here, we could get all our heads together, having some fun along the way and who knows one of us could be a little richer come this time next week! what does everyone think? if there is enough of you guys on here who think it's a good idea, i'll open a thread this evening (9pm gmt)! Regards,

Quote from the BBC: Asian Maze is likely to miss next week's Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham - and run in the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle instead. The dual Grade One-winning mare was as low as 5-1 for the stayers' race but trainer Tom Mullins indicated she will go for Tuesday's two-mile championship. "We are leaning towards the Champion Hurdle now and I would say she is 90% certain to run in that race," he said.
Hope you're right penguin. I heard this rumour last weekend and took 60's on Betfair. Woudl appreciate laying it off now. Cleverly though I did not take the 11's for a place (idiot !!) because I wanted 15's ! Duh !!

SportHorse Racing
EventRyanair Chase
SelectionImpek
Strength10/10
Date16/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceCoral @ 4.50 (Back)
Reasoningperhaps the forgotten horse this year. Ran 3rd in the King George behind Kicking king & Monkehostin only beatn 5L, after taking those two along to the pond fence. Will come here fresh which suits after just 4 runs this season. Has 1 victory at 3m+ which is essential to be able to get that hill. Thought it had a chnace in the GOLd cup but now connections have chosen this race, i think it has an outstanding chance with McCoy up.
Connections have withdrawn from the Gold cup to run in this.

SportHorse Racing
EventTop Festival jockey
SelectionTimmy Murphy
Strength3/10
Date12/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 9.00 (Back)
ReasoningRepresenting the big Pipe / Johnson stable, Murphy has some excellent rides & has a great chance of winning this with 3 or 4 winners max. Other jocks find it very tough round here at the festival but with the Pipe bandwagon in town, i can see Murphy having at least 2 winners & therefore happy to take the punt.

SportHorse Racing
EventCounty Hurdle
SelectionGrande Jete (Each-Way)
Strength3/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 13.00 (Back)
ReasoningRan 4th & was clear jumping the last only to clout it & lose the race in this last year after an absence of 14 months, flopped on last outing at Aintree 342 days ago, but as he proved last year Henderson can get these horses running well after a long break. At this price looks a decent ew bet in the finale to the festival

SportHorse Racing
EventIrish Independent Arkle Challenge Trophy
SelectionMid Dancer (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date14/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 21.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis horse continues to get backed, was 33s, now best priced 20-1. This French raider is 10 out of 10 unbeaten in all starts over jumps, looks to have an exceptional amount of ability, jumps superbly and in my opinion is well capable of taking a hand in the finish.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread sorry for the lack of reasoning but heres my list that Ill be following over the festival. Boychuk-sup novice hurdle Foreman-arkle Attorney General-Ladbrokes world hurdle Ambobo- see above;) afsoun-triumph hurdle grande jette-county hurdle Wichita lineman-bumper cornish rebel-gold cup prins willem-coral cup foly pleasent-foxhunters chase ground ball-grand annual chase make of it as you want

• Sport Horse Racing
  • Event Queen Mother Champion Chase
  • picks Kario De Sormain (Each-Way)
  • Strength 6/10
  • Date 15/03/2006
  • Bookmaker/Price >William Hill @ 21.00 (Back)
  • Reasoning Champion of all excesses, Kario de Sormain only makes the spectacle with it. With it, that passes or that breaks, without counting the vulnerabilities which its organization inflicts to him sporadically, betrayed by its oversize. It has its public with Auteuil, but will occur Wednesday in front of that of Cheltenham, in Queen Mother Champion Drives out. A bet moreover, with the contribution of the man of all the challenges, Jean-Paul Gallorini who is one of the best French trainers

Reasoning Champion of all excesses' date= Kario de Sormain only makes the spectacle with it. With it, that passes or that breaks, without counting the vulnerabilities which its organization inflicts to him sporadically, betrayed by its oversize. It has its public with Auteuil, but will occur Wednesday in front of that of Cheltenham, in Queen Mother Champion Drives out. A bet moreover, with the contribution of the man of all the challenges, Jean-Paul Gallorini who is one of the best French trainers
Been using a translator by any chance, Mr Galileo? :rollin

SportHorse Racing
EventCheltenham: 3:15 - Smurfit Champion Hurdle
SelectionAl Eile (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date14/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceCentrebet @ 10.00 (Back)
ReasoningAl Eile is improving and could well improve significantly on last year's finishing position.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Bets for Cheltenham: Tuesday: Champion Hurdle Brave Inca @ 2/1 5pts win Al Eile @ 9/1 2pts E/W Wednesday: Champion Chase Central House @ 8/1 5pts win Dempsey @ 20/1 2pts E/W Thursday: Ryanair Chase Impek @ SP 5pts win Friday: Gold Cup War of Attrition @ 9/1 2pts E/W Beef or Salmon @ 5/1 5pts win 32pts staked

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I have to point something out here (pardon if has already been pointed out). But what in the name of holy hell is Mixsterthetrixster doing at 150/1 for the William Hill Trophy? This is a no-brainer right here. He's on a low mark, ground should suit... Get on him each way for at least 1 pt. Anyway, I have decided to go value hunting again, much like I did with Horus, Presto Shinko and Palace Episode (Hate to brag :tongue2). So here are my tips for Tuesday at Cheltenham: Supreme Novices Hurdle - 2:00 - Kalderon (100/1, Victor Chandler) - A master of consistancy. Only 2 lengths behind Schlinder's Hunt at Leopardstown on March 5th on Hurdling debut. Before that he earned quite a bit of money racing at 1M 4F in Germany. Five pounds lower than his second place at Leopardstown 9 days ago. This is another horse barking out with each-way value. Arkle Chase - 2:35 - Wild Passion (20/1, Ladbrokes, Sky Bet, Sporting Odds and Total Bet) - Trained by the superb Noel Meade, Wild Passion hasn't finished outside the top 2 of a race since 8th January 2005, which was 7 races ago. I believe he will perform a lot better than he did last time out, because he is being reunited with usual jockey Paul Carberry, after he was temporarily replaced by Barry Geraghty. Definite each way possibilities and it wouldn't surprise me if he clinched victory... Champion Hurdle - 3:15 - Penzance (40/1, Sky Bet and Total Bet) - As great as Brave Inca and Macs Joy are, it wouldn't at all surprise me if Penzance kicked into top gear, much like he did last year. Definite each-way claims, and maybe much more... William Hill Trophy - 4:00 - Mixsterthetrixster (150/1, Ladbrokes, Victor Chandler and Total Bet) - This is perhaps the biggest no-brainer since OJ Simpson was found not guilty. Amazingly high odds for a horse that can perform pretty darn well when he feels like it. I urge you to shove a pound on each way! It's well worth the risk. Cross Country Chase - 4:40 - Just In Debt (33/1, Ladbrokes and Victor Chandler) - Always seems to complete marathon races at both Cheltenham and Aintree. Such a capable performer. May just find a couple too good, but there is definitely each-way value here again. Juvenile Novices Hurdle - 5:20 - Bayard (28/1, Paddy Power, Total Bet and Bluesq) - Despite being very fortunate in winning his last race at Fakenham, there has been a large turnaround in weights with one of the favourites My Immortal (DQ'd in the Fakenham race). This weight pull may be enough to overturn the distance between him and My Immortal at Fakenham and if he can do that, there is no reason why he cannot win this race. Strong each-way claims here. Well those are my tips, feel free to pick the bones...

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Brilliant end to the week for me. Backed four ante-post at big odds, with three of these ending up non-runners. The banker though run and won neeting me over £1200! Yippee. Continuing to bet the big odds and have Eirickson for Newcastle at odds up to 100-! (still get around 80-1 for small stakes now) and Direct Access 38-1 for the National.

Newbie Punter Join Date: 03 Jul 2005 Posts: 11 icon1.gif Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread
Well not too bad a week for my two at Cheltenham. No news on Neptune Coolonges for the gold cup, but as Paul Nicholls has had problems with his other gold cup hopefuls the chance of Neptune running must be greatly enhanced. Much better news with Detroit City. Backed and tipped at 25-1 for the Triumph it oozed class yesterday and looks a banker to me. now around 10-1. The racing post said: The ground was officially changed a notch to reflect drying conditions with the back straight, despite being watered in the week, again reportedly faster than the home straight. DETROIT CITY continues to progress over hurdles, handing out a much more impressive beating to Royals Darling, who was 7lb better off for a length and a half from Newbury last time. Good ground suits him well, although the Kingmambo gelding handled softer ground in his equally progressive Flat career. He has size and substance and measures his hurdles well. He is an embryo stayer off the Flat and the way he cleared away when shaken up after the second-last having been niggled along upsides the leader out of the back straight was impressive. With a progressive profile and touch of class, he looks just the type to add to his stable's decent record in the Triumph, which will be his next race.