bowles10

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread

SportHorse Racing
EventArkle Chase
SelectionForeman
Strength5/10
Date14/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 8.00 (Back)
ReasoningIve had word for this horse already and to quote Mick Fitzgerald "But the one I reckon is rock-solid for the Arkle is Foreman. It shouldn't be forgotten that he was good enough to win an Irish Champion Hurdle and, unless I'm very much mistaken, the last horse to graduate from that to a bid for the Arkle turned out to be quite useful. His name? Moscow Flyer." is good enough for me.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I,m thinking of backing l,ami for gold cup .I,ve seen this horse a couple of times this year over 3 miles and think he will relish the extra two and a half furlongs and uphill finish. Also will be backing hardy eustace in the champion hurdle.i think dessie hughes is at the madam with this horse.He always runs well at cheltenham and had a good course gallop over the weekend. Any thoughts

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread martin pipe wouldnt send celestial gold to the gold cup without a run if he didnt think it could win, he,s a shrewd trainer and the horse runs well fresh as proved last year, celestial gold is a must e/way bet 10.1. also denman in the r/s novice hdle has only got to be pointed in the right direction 7.4, good luck

sorry i go cheltenham on the monday and dont return until friday so i dont bother with the computer that week' date='[/quote']No need to show off!:lol Have a great time and when you come back don't forget to come back and tell us how you got on. Got any other fancies for the week?

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I just wanted to throw my twopennys worth in about Our Vic! I'd have to disagree with you Cosmetic regarding Our Vic not able to stay, as Our Vic was a big baby to the game when he was beaten into 3rd by Rule Supreme in the R&A Chase 2004, remember he was only 6 and was ridden surprisingly close up to a break neck fast pace and he made several novicey mistakes which took it out of him that day! he only surrendered up the hill after jumping the last in front. Riding the horse that day was McCoy who had only ever ridden him 1 time before, all his other races Timmy Murphy rode him and to my mind Murphy is a better tactician in playing a waiting game and not getting into an argy bargy up front that could ultimately seal his fate! I seriously think that Our Vic has a great chance of winning the Gold Cup this year especially with it not looking a great race with all the defections. He beat Monkerhostin quite easily in the Paddy Power and Monkerhostin is 2nd favourite! put into the mix whether Beef or Salmon will act on a track where he has failed many times before! The only thing Our Vic doesn't want is soft ground and if it's riding on the genuine good or fast ground, he has a serious chance!

AK1979' date=' in my opinion Our Vic didn't stay the Royal & Sunalliance Chase over 3m1/2f in 04. The Gold Cup is 2f longer and has the longer run in with 2 fences on the New Course (as they call it) whereas the RSA Chase is run on the Old Course with 1 fence in the home straight and to me the longer home straight in the Gold Cup and the hill, I have serious doubts about whether he'll stay.[/quote']

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Ok it's now 7 days or so away and time to post some of my fancies: Our Vic (Gold Cup) 25/1 Ladbrokes (each-way) reasons as in my previous post Monet's Garden (Arkle Trophy) 14/1 Paddypower (each-way) Richards would normally race this type of promising horse many times in a season, rattling up a sequence of wins! however he has decided to keep this one in cotton wool ready to be unwrapped for the Arkle! Really impressed with the way it anihilated Darkness on it's debut over chase fences and we all know what Darkness has done since! had 1 other run which was merely a schooling session winning by a distance! Jumps like a stag and the kid gloves treatment by Richards could pay dividends... Asian Maze (World Hurdle) 11/2 Totesport (win) I've made no secret of my admiration of this horse on PL and it's run behind Macs Joy last time out further enhanced that after such a long lay off! another horse that has been given the kid glove treatment by it's trainer. Baracouda I feel could be a spent force now and Asian Maze is the pretender to Baracouda's crown! Studmaster (County Hurdle) 7/1 Paddypower (win) This horse is probably my biggest fancy of the meeting!!! It is such a tenacious battler and has proved on it's last 2 runs at Leopardstown, especially it's last run with a big penalty that it's gonna take a special performance to beat him! Also note his price will be sithed come race day, as he is going for the bonus double of the Imperial Cup at Sandown and after he wins that! onto the County for a £75,000 bonus bonanza for the double!!! I'll be back in the next few days to add some other fancies... Regards,

SportHorse Racing
EventCheltenham Gold Cup
SelectionForget the Past (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceTotalbet @ 21.00 (Back)
ReasoningThis Horse has improved ever so much in the last few runs altough looks held by BOS and WOA on theie Loepardstown meeting back in December but has shown a level of improvement since that would merit half a chance.

SportHorse Racing
EventCheltenham QM chase
SelectionAshley Brook (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date15/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceWilliam Hill @ 9.00 (back)
ReasoningThe stats for this race show that horses with a rating of 160+ must be followed. only 3 qualify this year in Kauto Star., Moscow Flyer & Ashley Brook. Kauto Star would be the first 6 yr old to win since 1981 & Moscow would be first 12 yr old to win since 1977. Further stats show that you must have winning form over further than 2m, something Kauto Star does not have. Previous festival form is also essential & Ashley Brook has all these credentials & is the right age at 7 yr old.

SportHorse Racing
EventGold Cup
SelectionImpek (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSkybet @ 51.00 (Back)
Reasoningperhaps the forgotten horse this year. Ran 3rd in the King George behind Kicking king & Monkehostin only beatn 5L, after taking those two along to the pond fence. Fits the age profile & the fact that it has only had the 4 runs this season. Will come here fresh which suits. Has 1 victory at 3m+ but is surely capable of a place here as the horse jumps well & can avoid trouble by being in the front rank throughout the race.
SportHorse Racing
EventWorld Hurdle
SelectionMighty Man
Strength5/10
Date16/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 5.50 (Back)
Reasoningstats show that horses aged between 6 & 8 yrs old do extremely well in this race as no 5 yr old has ever won & the last 43 horses older than 8 have failed since last winner in 1988. The winner needs to be a hold up horse with suitable stamina & proven Cheltenham form. The first 3 in the betting figure well in recent results & Mighty man now currently vying for favouritism ticks all the boxes.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Can anyone tell me when we get the declerations for the festival. I'm going on the tuesday, so would like to start doing a bit of research before I go, but don't want to look in to it too much before I know who'll definately be running. I've had a tip for Straw Bear in the Supreme Novices Hurdle. Anyone had a look at this race yet, and if so think it has a good chance?

Racing Post has them' date=' on the left hand side under Cheltenham Entries. :ok[/quote'] I wasn't very clear Jeffers, I meant final declerations. Theres still around 50 horses for most races atm.

I wasn't very clear Jeffers' date=' I meant final declerations. Theres still around 50 horses for most races atm.[/quote'] final decs are noon on the day before the race Chala buy the Racing post on Saturday & the fields will be reduced even more.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Cheers Guys:ok I've gone with Hedgehunter for the Gold Cup. Really think pretty much anything could win it this year. If he jumps like he did at the national last year he's in with a shout.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread Think it would be a freak result for him to go and actually win it myself. Beef or Salmon has his number, I know all this about Beef not handling the course, but one gets the feeling that he's in proper good shape this year. If Our Vic runs, he's got the beating of Hedgehunter too IMO. The others I like are Take The Stand - a repeat of his run las year will probably win this year's renewal. Also L'Ami who's clearly in very good heart and Doumen is no mug. Carted round a massive weight at Sandown last month in bad ground, and that was just a prep to get him right. Can't have Celestial Gold winning on his seasonal reappearance, although I guess if anybody can achieve that, it's Pipe.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread I'd have to fancy MONKERHOSTIN for the Gold Cup. Finished like a train in the King George when chasing home Kicking King. Beef or Salmon won't win and this seems the one with the best chance at the odds available.

Re: Cheltenham Ante post thread To all those who fancy Our Vic I must agree. I think the horse has serious class and I do think it will stay the gold cup trip. When it was beaten in the Royal & Sunalliance Chase 2 years ago it was still a young horse and probably didnt stay that day but it has grown more and I reckon it is great value. Im waiting to see if its confirmed for the race first however. Also, wonder which one timmy will choose between Our Vic and Celestial Gold. :unsure

Can anyone tell me when we get the declerations for the festival. I'm going on the tuesday, so would like to start doing a bit of research before I go, but don't want to look in to it too much before I know who'll definately be running. I've had a tip for Straw Bear in the Supreme Novices Hurdle. Anyone had a look at this race yet, and if so think it has a good chance?
I've had a look at it Chala and although it's the standout horse the record of favourites in the race isn't particularly impressive. That said I am yet to find anything else that I like more!

I've had a look at it Chala and although it's the standout horse the record of favourites in the race isn't particularly impressive. That said I am yet to find anything else that I like more!
Ignore me Chala! I was getting your horse confused with Sweet Wake. I can't see Sweet Wake being beaten but like I say it's not a good race for favourites.

SportHorse Racing
EventQM Champion Chase
SelectionMoscow Flyer
Strength5/10
Date15/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 6.80 (Back)
ReasoningWhat a bet! ... I cant beleive I have just snapped up nearly 6/1 about a magnificent Champion Chaser going back to Cheltenham. Moscow Flyer may not be the great shakes of last year. It is only natural, the horse is getting older so its obvious he will lose a bit of ability. However at 12yrs old that is not the nail on the coffin. I really beleive he has one final amazing performance inside him. His record around Cheltenham speaks volumes and with the Champion Chase always run to suit him I do think he will win it and make the grandstand at Cheltenham shake with roars. Kauto Star is a talk horse and 2/1 is laughable. Ashley Brook is the big danger and I will be having an each way on him also.

SportHorse Racing
EventQM Champion Chase
SelectionAshley Brook (Each-Way)
Strength5/10
Date15/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 9.00 (Back)
ReasoningAshley Brook going left handed is a truly classy horse. Ashley Brook going right handed, well may not be as good as we have seen this season. Back here at Cheltenham on good ground going left handed this horse will really give it his all. He is a game front runner and will come back for more when passed. I think he has the class and toughness to be involved in the finish here and it wouldnt surprise me if he won although I do think Moscow will win which is why I am going in each way on Ashley. Kauto Star beat him a length in the tingle creek. Kauto Star is 2/1, Ashley is 8/1. Considering Ashley is proven at Cheltenham and proven to be better going left handed I know were my money is going and its not the Paul Nicholls talk horse.