** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Racing Chat - Thursday 16th May

3 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Maybe a bit early but had a quick look at the Hambleton Handicap and BET365 have Godwinson  at 6-1  , a little 5-1 available with other firms  .  Massive eyecatcher in the Newbury Spring Cup can see it starting at 5-2/9-4 on the day .

Good luck .

Wonder how much rain will fall before then ? 

Used to love Dante Day , 13-15k attendance not like John Smith's day but the Earlybird ticket offer after Covid went up around 27% & you can't trust the trains nowadays so highlights on TV for me .

The Easterby clan  will send a big team there and probably pick up a Handicap or 2.

Interesting about the weather as a few very  big priced decent  horses in the handicaps a bit of cut would suit and bring them into it.

Ground good to firm at present looking at their forecast  not sure the amount of rain expected will change things enough unless the clerk of the course decides to water aswell!!

• The Brigadier changed the title to Racing Chat - Thursday May 15th
  • MCLARKE changed the title to Racing Chat - Thursday May 16th
York 2.15
The first of two big field handicaps is the class 2 5F Lindrum York Handicap which has a very much ‘whose turn is it today’ feel about it amongst the seventeen strong field. Cases can be made for many including the Crisford’s Spartan Arrow who’s making his seasonal re-appearance having been gelded and the Quinn’s Jm Jungle who ran well last time at Musselburgh. Despite rising in the handicap I like the look of top weight Korker trained locally by Karl Burke and ridden by Clifford Lee. He was an unlucky loser of this race a year ago off of a mark 7lb lower than today’s. So it is hard to say he’s chucked in here but he teed up for this with a run in the mud at Deauville in listed company last month and from a stall position of four on the far side should give us a decent run for our money each way with additional places.

KORKER 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5th 123456

Salisbury 2.30
ITV’s sole offering from the ‘away’ meetings today is this 1M 6F class 3 handicap which will be run on soft ground and from a flag start. Nicky Henderson has always done well with his runners on the flat during the summer and sends out his ex William Haggas trained five year old Pawapuri who has won two of his five starts over timber, both coming on soft ground and looks feasibly treated back on the flat. Richard Kingscote looks an encouraging jockey booking and he can take this from the Andrew Balding runner The Goat who loves deep ground and represents the stable that has won this race for the last two seasons.

PAWAPURI 1 point win @ 11/4 bet365

York 2.45
A maximum field of twenty have declared for this valuable class 2 Oakmere Homes Hambleton Handicap run over the round mile. There are many here that can be given chances and my shortlist comprises of Charlie Johnston’s Dutch Decoy (drawn in stall 6) who has finished runner up in two decent Newmarket handicaps already this season and although 2lb higher should be n the premises once again. Last year’s runner up Port Lynas trained by Ed Bethell is now 7lb higher in the weights and doesn’t have the benefit of a race, unlike last year, but he has won fresh before and from stall 5 can help push the pace and figure at the finish. Last year’s fifth Blue For You returns having had a wind operation and is now 9lb better off with Port Lynas for a 3L beating. He’s drawn out wide in stall 15 though which may be an inconvenience. With a decent draw and fitness on his side I’ll take Dutch Decoy to get his head in front where it matters under Joe Fanning with a small stake saver on Blue For You who loves the track and is now very well handicapped.

DUTCH DECOY 1 point each way @ 8/1 William Hill 1/5th 12345
BLUE FOR YOU 1/2 point each way @ 12/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

York 3.15
A small but select filed of six turn up for this Group 2 Al Basti Equiworld Dubai Middleton Fillies’ Stakes run over 1M 2 1/2F. Free Wind won this event last year for father and son training combo John & Thady Gosden and has now won first time out for the last three years so the lack of a run shouldn’t be held against the George Strawbridge owned six year old mare who must go well here even if this trip is a bit on the short side for her. The same can be said of her main rival Bluestocking who is rated only 1lb inferior to Free Wind. Ralph Beckett’s four year old was last seen when runner up to Poptronic in the Group 1 Fillies & Mares on Champions Day at Ascot in October. With the Beckett team beginning to roll now I’ll take her to turn over Free Wind.

BLUESTOCKING 1 point win @ 5/2 BetVictor

York 3.45
The meeting’s Derby trial is the 1M 2 1/2F Al Basti Equiworld Dubai Dante Stakes which has attracted seven three year old colts. Warm favourite is the Charlie Appleby trained Ancient Wisdom who won four of his five starts as a juvenile including the group 1 Kameko Futurity Trophy at Doncaster in October. That victory came on heavy ground but he was an impressive debut winner at Haydock on fast ground so it may well be that all ground comes alike to the top rated colt by Dubawi. With William Buick in the saddle he’ll be a tough one to beat with possibly the William Haggas trained Economics an interesting outsider. He looked good winning a Newbury maiden 26 days ago and that form has been boosted since by the victories of the sixth and eighth. Roger Varian saddles Al Musmak who was ahead of the selection the only time he was beaten which came at Ascot last Summer. He may be the one to push the favourite.

ANCIENT WISDOM 2 points win @ 11/8 William Hill
ANCIENT WISDOM 11/8 & BIG EVS (4.15) 8/11 2 point win double William Hill

York 4.15
Last year’s champion two year old sprinter Big Evs returns for his re-appearance run here in this 5F listed Westow stakes and despite a 5lb penalty for his Group 2 Flying Childers win at Doncaster and his Grade 1 win in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint at Santa Anita will be hard to beat. Michael Appleby’s three year old will be ridden by Tom Marquand and is proven on any type of ground. He meets six inferior sprinters and unless he hasn’t trained on should get the job done comfortably.

Posted (edited)

Navagio                                                        2 45 Yrk/                   1/40th of a pt ew    20/1          - N/R

One Night Stand                                         2 15 Yrk/                   1/40th of a pt ew    40/1          - N/R

Good Earth                                                  2 15 Yrk/                    1/40th of a pt ew   33/1

Catch The Paddy                                         2 45 Yrk/                   1/40th of a pt ew    33/1

Edited by black rabbit

On 5/14/2024 at 12:05 AM, Tedthewolf said:

The Easterby clan  will send a big team there and probably pick up a Handicap or 2.

Interesting about the weather as a few very  big priced decent  horses in the handicaps a bit of cut would suit and bring them into it.

Ground good to firm at present looking at their forecast  not sure the amount of rain expected will change things enough unless the clerk of the course decides to water aswell!!

A 40/1 winner of the 4.15 on Day 1 for the Clan!

Anyone in here used BetVictor before? I signed up yesterday for their welcome offer but all I can see it the outright win markets and nothing else. Not sure if I'm just missing something as I have a free £10 lengthen your odds bet but nowhere I can use it. And I can't see place markets etc. 

Any help would be great cheers. 

Posted (edited)

Good Morning.

Well, it finally happened two nights ago..... Oh yes, I (actually) had a winner (Joy Choi, 5/2). It's been a bit of a bad run but a nice win for the wallet. Getting the money over the counter at the bookies was less a win and more losing in reverse I had forgotten what it felt like. But taking a risk today. Going for COPPER KNIGHT in the 2.15 at York. He loves York. Mind you I love the city of Bath doesn't mean I'll win a race there! So taking a risk today. But this could be a profitable day for what we'll learn about the future. Gutted about poor HISPANIC yesterday. KING OF STEEL lame and out for a while. Our wonderful sport needs it's stars so hoping he'll be back soon! Justin. 🏇.

Edited by FatandHappy1970

Posted (edited)

Hi and good luck to all with your racing today 🐎 .......few selections at York.......hope our luck holds, as won £30 on Lotto last night with 3 numbers 👍

2.15         Copper Knight  10/1 EW                   Spartan Arrow         9/1 EW      3rd                                                                               5 places

2.45         Al Mubhir   8/1 EW      6th                   Bopedro  16/1 EW      3rd                                  Greys Monument  16/1 EW                     6 places

3.15         Free Wind  2/1                                 Sapphire Seas  4/1

3.45         Caviar Heights    5/1     (main bet placed last night )                              Economics  9/2     WON  6/1       

Edited by Brahmin

1 minute ago, The Brigadier said:

There always seems to be a regular issue with Betfred and Oddschecker I find tbh

Yeah I quickly checked, actually rushed over here before placing the bet myself and then when I went to place thought **** I've missed the price when I went direct to Betfred but then realised Oddschecker still said 15/2