SPEED RATINGS

2 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Still in the trial stage but here is thes top bet at today's turf meeting at Thirsk.

3.15 BURJ MALINKA - best speed figure obtained on good to firm going but also has the best speed rating in the race achieved on soft going (April last year). Top weight but last won off a rating of 62 compared to today's rating of 61. Current odds 7/2 favourite. Only slight question mark is that the race on soft going was over 5f rather than 6f.

it's a gold mine ........ 😜

2 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Still in the trial stage but here is thes top bet at today's turf meeting at Thirsk.

3.15 BURJ MALINKA - best speed figure obtained on good to firm going but also has the best speed rating in the race achieved on soft going (April last year). Top weight but last won off a rating of 62 compared to today's rating of 61. Current odds 7/2 favourite. Only slight question mark is that the race on soft going was over 5f rather than 6f.

Top man 🔥

3 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

:ok Fiver at 7/1 using my weekly double odds boost.

Once again no flat turf racing !

I'll have my first bash on the AW.

Top rated today is Fleurman in the 7.30 at Chelmsford. It came second in a £77k race at Newcastle last April. The winning time was 4.14 seconds faster than standard. However the winner has had a few poor runs since. I think someone mentioned that results from Newcastle should be treated with caution.

Fleurman has had a few poor runs since then which is why it is the outsider at 10/1. Perhaps worth a small bet.

Top rated today is Fleurman in the 7.30 at Chelmsford. It came second in a £77k race at Newcastle last April. The winning time was 4.14 seconds faster than standard. However the winner has had a few poor runs since. I think someone mentioned that results from Newcastle should be treated with caution.

Fleurman has had a few poor runs since then which is why it is the outsider at 10/1. Perhaps worth a small bet.

Yes it was me that said Newcastle should be treated with a bit of caution the figures seem to be all over the place. i am still trying to work out why.

Fleurman comes out on top on my figures but being blinkered 1st time means it will use up too much energy on the bends and fade but i hope i am wrong because i have backed it in my lucky 15 before i realised it was Blinkered 1st time.

In hindsight I should have noticed that the distance it gained its speed figure on was 2m 0.5f and todays was 1m 5f.

To me it looked like it was staying on at the end and the extra distance would have suited.

All part of the learning experience for me.

4.14 seconds faster than standard over 13.3 furlongs would get an initial rating of 145 from me prior to any going allowance ..... and I'd have to check all the other races on the card to see if the ground was riding abnormally fast

If you remember that Frankel was 'only' rated 140

I'd definitely be treating that standard time with caution !

49 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

In hindsight I should have noticed that the distance it gained its speed figure on was 2m 0.5f and todays was 1m 5f.

To me it looked like it was staying on at the end and the extra distance would have suited.

All part of the learning experience for me.

it will perform better in 2nd time blinkers the only thing to learn is that if a horse has to go round a bend in first time blinkers it will not win in fact only 1 in 100 defy that stat, source- Nick Mordin. (he couldn't understand why it didn't apply in jumps races)

First bit of flat racing today at Yarmouth

Going Good To Firm which after all the rain elsewhere is a surprise

My top rated today is Angle Land, I have it 4 lengths ahead of the next best. However that rating was on soft going so I will discount it on that basis.

The next best are all close together so no bet for me, I will not try and force a bet.

1 hour ago, MCLARKE said:

First bit of flat racing today at Yarmouth

Going Good To Firm which after all the rain elsewhere is a surprise

My top rated today is Angle Land, I have it 4 lengths ahead of the next best. However that rating was on soft going so I will discount it on that basis.

The next best are all close together so no bet for me, I will not try and force a bet.

I have it top rated on both goings and standard. It will be interesting to see.

4 minutes ago, Hotspur88 said:

Kuwait City just won

I didn't realise it had run, I don't want to be accused of after timing !

I don't think I would have backed it, I would probably want it to be top rated overall and also top rated on the going

1 minute ago, MCLARKE said:

I didn't realise it had run, I don't want to be accused of after timing !

I don't think I would have backed it, I would probably want it to be top rated overall and also top rated on the going

Certainly not accusing you of after timing mate, it's not in your character. I've seen how transparent you are to know you wouldn't have known it had run 👍🏼

The eyes meant another winner for your ratings mixed with why the hell didn't you put it up earlier 🤣

Edited by Hotspur88

1 minute ago, Zilzalian said:

The big problem this early in the season is unfit horses the one to take out of Angle Lands race is the ex Fabre trained Tremblant who prefers softer conditions and will win races this year.

I think training regimes might be better these days, the profitability of fit horses that had been prevalent for many years no longer seem to work

6 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

I think training regimes might be better these days, the profitability of fit horses that had been prevalent for many years no longer seem to work

I agree to a degree (rhymes that) but we also have the "need to get the handicap mark down" problem as well and because the eyes are everywhere it is easier to get a horse beaten over the wrong trip or as i have seen often on the AW run it around the outside of the field amongst other little tricks they employ. I can't emphasise enough how speed figures should be used with caution in handicaps the only time i use them is in top handicaps. In lower grade races i view them as better than nothing. You know your aw horses well from what i read so if your new found speed figure confirms your "form" selection then it is a very good plus and maybe a good reason to increase your stake.

Still working on the best way of using speed figures but I suspect I will only use them when the top speed has been achieved on the current going and distance so that should avoid the problem of horses being deliberately run over the wrong distance or going.

I will probably use them in the better class races.

One question I would ask is how far back would you go to look at speed figures, for instance would a speed figure achieved 3 years ago still be relevant. 

8 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Still working on the best way of using speed figures but I suspect I will only use them when the top speed has been achieved on the current going and distance so that should avoid the problem of horses being deliberately run over the wrong distance or going.

One question I would ask is how far back would you go to look at speed figures, for instance would a speed figure achieved 3 years ago still be relevant. 

I am not a speed figures man so wouldn't have the gall to try to advise you guys on what is, or is not, the best way to use them.

However, it has been reported that arguably the top man in this field (Phil Bull),owed his success to following horses (that had produced a good Speed Rating) through thick and thin, and in fact was notorious for selecting many shock long priced winners.

His thought process being that if a horse can run to a particular time, in all likelihood,he will do it again one day.

He described Speed Ratings as a tool which doesn't tell you how good a horse is,but how bad it is not.

20 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Well in my opinion and they way i formulate speed figures, i go off all its wins and places, horses move up and down the handicap over the years so they are relevant certainly for 4 years and i would suggest beyond, didn't Documenting win the other day at a decent price 22/1? That horse is 11 years old, Boom the Groom won 3 times last year at decent prices and that one is 13, the older horses tend to run at their own level all be it lack consistency steadily dropping down in grade until they are retired. That's why i am very weary of handicaps and only use speed seriously in Pattern races or in the heritage handicaps "worth winning". That's not to say they should be discarded because i use this type of horse in Lucky 15 etc for a bit of fun and have done reasonably well out of them. One thing to bear in mind about distances and goings in pattern races the top trainers have a pretty good idea of whether a horse can do the trip or ground particularly as they age from 2yo-3yo-4yo  that's why we have so many horses pulled out if the conditions don't suit Trueshan is a good example of that. I do disregard or downgrade horses at distances that they haven't won over once they reach 4 year old and beyond especially in sprints but there are always exceptions to the rules.

Interesting. I always tended to avoid older horses but may need to review that.

Top rated today is COCO BEAR in the 4.20 at Windsor but that was on soft, it is rated 6th on todays going so I will give that a miss.

In the 4.50 SECRET STRENGTH is joint top rated (with Perseverants and Dancing In Paris) based on its run at Epsom last September over 7 furlongs on good to fim. It is rated second on todays good going (to Optiva Star). Available at 25/1 so may be worth a small EW bet as 4 places are available. Optiva Star is available at 16/1.

In the 5.50 TARBAAN is top rated (5 lbs clear) based on its win at Yarmouth last September over todays distance on good to soft. It is rated second to Mildwjama. Available at 11/2, again with 4 places. Mildwjama is available at 28/1.

38 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

Top rated on todays going is UNDER THE TWILIGHT in the 3.50 based on its 3rd at Newbury last May over todays distance. It is rated second overall to the favourite Tiriac. Available at 12/1 (4 places).

Missed that one. You've gone from 0 to "King of Speed" in no time at all! :eek