** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Ashes

harry_rag

Apologies if I'm pre-empting any planned threads for the series or individual tests but just thought I'd put the following selection up in case it's of interest to anyone.

Hills go Root >20 1st innings runs at evens (from 2/5). Looks worth taking the tenner allowed from an apparent value perspective.

Will only be betting by exception given the paucity of my knowledge on this sport. Any more expert opinion obviously welcome.

It's the most evenly-poised and intriguing Ashes since the 2005 series and we all know how that one went! I was very impressed with Australia during the World Test Championship against India but England will be a tougher proposition for them. I still think Australia boast the strongest bowling attack in a long time, particularly due to the depth of the quality they possess. If one bowling attack is going to break "Bazball" then it'll be this one.

Still, you'd have to back England to beat anyone at home. Losing Jack Leach was a huge blow and I'm not sure bringing Moeen Ali back out of retirement was great for the long term future of English cricket. What does it say to the current batch of up-and-coming spinners at county level? The manner it was done was so cliquey as well via a text message between two mates.

I agree with Terry, it's very evenly balanced so England being priced at 6/4 with Bet365 at home seems tempting. I'm expecting a big series from Ollie Pope and Harry Brook. It'll be fascinating to see how they perform in this 1st Test. I'm also looking at a personal bet of backing Marnus Labuschagne to be top scorer for the first innings simply because I love him for Glamorgan even if the odds of 9/2 aren't fantastic value! :lol

On 6/14/2023 at 4:16 PM, harry_rag said:

Hills go Root >20 1st innings runs at evens (from 2/5). Looks worth taking the tenner allowed from an apparent value perspective.

Will only be betting by exception given the paucity of my knowledge on this sport. Any more expert opinion obviously welcome.

Might just declare with a 100% record!

14 minutes ago, Fader said:

I thought they declared a little too early last night. What do you think?

Slightly surprising I suppose, I guess it wasn't entirely done on a whim. How quickly they get the next few wickets will probably tell us how wise it was. Maybe one eye on the weather (if rain is due there) and giving them the best chance of a positive result.

• Fader changed the title to The Ashes

4th test today. Huge match for England, who needs to win both. Aus just needs a draw today and they're laughing. I think Cummins is likely to be Aus top bowler once again and that opens the door for him to be MOTM. Especially if England are not good enough with the bat. I have Stokes as top batsman for the Ashes, which now doesn't look too bad a bet. I think he performs well today but as a little saver, Woakes at 33 is too big if we see an England collapse. 

Paddy Power are doing "bet £5 and get a free £5 in play bet" on this 4th test 

1pt Man Of The Match - Cummins 12/1 paddypower
1pt Top England 1st innings batsman - Stokes BOOSTED 7/1 Paddypower
0.25pts Top England 1st innings batsman - Woakes 33/1 Paddypower

It's a shame that the Ashes are now a lost cause but we do have one more test and I've seen that William Hill is offering a boost to 16/1 for :

I'll also take a couple of points on Crawley, who was impressive in the last test and has been impressive in his first innings in all of the tests with scores of 61, 48, 33, and 189..

2pts Crawley top England batsman 1st innings 5/1 paddypower
1pt Stokes top batsman (!st innings England) and England to win 16/1 WillHill