** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Cazoo Masters

owenclass

• 2 weeks later...

Traditionally the curtain raiser for the new darting season, this year's Masters feels a little different - as we've already had the World Series events in Bahrain and Denmark, won by Michael Smith and Peter Wright respectively. Here are my thoughts on a couple at bigger prices who could walk away with the trophy and £65k winners cheque.

Since the tournament was expanded to the top 24 players in the World, we've seen the very top players get overshadowed by a couple of outsiders. This could be due to the PDC announcing that the winner of the Masters gets a spot in the upcoming Premier League, so maybe more incentive for players who haven't already guaranteed a spot in the PL to take this event more seriously. I'm hoping that trend continues as I've picked out a couple of players who probably haven’t done enough yet to be considered PL picks for 2023.

1pt e/w Ross Smith (66/1 General)

From the top half of the draw I'm taking Ross Smith to continue his excellent form. Smith picked up the European Championship title back in October, playing some outstanding darts with some unbelievable 180 hitting. He continued that form into the World Championship where he was a touch unlucky to lose in the third round to Dirk van Duijvenbode 4-3, in a final sudden-death leg. There were 31 180s hit during that match, a record for a best of 7 set match, with Smith hitting 19, also a record. 'Smudger' has been handed a pretty tough draw in this tournament, he's got Damon Heta first up, followed by World Champion Michael Smith in the second round. He's then seeded to meet Danny Noppert and Gerwyn Price en route to the final, but this tough draw is reflected in his attractive odds of 66/1. If Smith can continue to score like he has been, he's going to be a match for anyone this weekend.

1pt e/w Dimitri van den Bergh (33/1 PaddyPower / Coral)

From the bottom half of the draw I'm going for Dimitri van den Bergh. It maybe easy to forget that the Belgian was a semi-finalist at the World Championship earlier this month, seeing off Lourence Ilagan, Krzysztof Ratajski, Kim Huybrechts and Jonny Clayton, before running into Michael van Gerwen. Since then Dimi was involved in both World Series events earlier this month, putting in a disappointing performance in Bahrain, but looking much more like himself in Copenhagen. 'The Dreammaker' has Gary Anderson in the first round followed by another former World Champion in the second round, in the shape of Rob Cross. You’re never quite sure how serious Anderson takes his darts these days, and Cross stated his dislike for this tournament in a recent interview - so maybe van den Bergh has the most motivation to go well from this section of the draw.

In the last couple of years we've seen Jonny Clayton and Joe Cullen pick up this title, with Mervyn King and Dave Chisnall making the final. I'm hoping that Ross Smith and Dimitri van den Bergh can continue the trend of outsiders going deep in this event.

Price is not feeling great at moment. Looks to have some man flu. Here is what I'll be going for. Side note, Ross Smith at 66/1 is madness.

2pts Clayton to win Masters 12/1 paddypower
-----------------------------------------------------
1pt e.w D.Noppert to win Masters 33/1 bet365 
1pt e/w R.Smith to win Masters 66/1 bet365
--------------------------------------------------------
0.5pts e/w Dobey to win Masters 100/1 bet365
0.5pts e/w Clemens to win Masters 100/1 paddypower 

Quite like Rydz's chances against Wade. There's a boost on 365 which looks worth taking which is him to win and hit the highest checkout. Checkouts are obviously Wade's strength - they have to be as he's not a big scorer - but as I think Rydz will win I'll take a chance he hits the high checkout in the process. Price is 4.33.

1 hour ago, Torque said:

Quite like Rydz's chances against Wade. There's a boost on 365 which looks worth taking which is him to win and hit the highest checkout. Checkouts are obviously Wade's strength - they have to be as he's not a big scorer - but as I think Rydz will win I'll take a chance he hits the high checkout in the process. Price is 4.33.

Yeah, I thought Wade was horrible last time I saw him and I reckon he'll retire soon. Isn't in him no more and I doubt he's hardly practicing. 

2 hours ago, Torque said:

Pish from Rydz. Got the high checkout but otherwise checked out poorly. Wade as he often does checked out clinically.

19 minutes ago, Torque said:

Pish from Rydz. Got the high checkout but otherwise checked out poorly. Wade as he often does checked out clinically.

Misses too many doubles, doesn't he? should have went 3-2 up, went 3-2 down and then should have went 3-3 with 3 darts at double top. Proper rubbish finishing.

good to see Ross Smith get through. I just want somebody who can go up against Michael Smith today and he has the best chance of him and Heta. In the other matches today I think it's worth going with DVD against Gezzy Price. I mean, unless he's just pretending to be really ill, which would be very sad, he looks on deaths door with this flu he has and that's not going to go after one day. DVD is a good player anyway but 11/8 is a good price for me.

4pts DVD to beat Price 11/8 paddypower

One that I wanted to do tonight was MVG to beat De Sousa and hit most 180s but there is abit of a boost with PP on him doing that and also M.Smith doing the same. Now ofcourse I have Ross Smith on the outright but last night he only hit 2 180s and got smoked something like 6-2 or something and won on the deciding leg. IF the performance doesn't improve then that double looks a good cover bet so :

2pts MVG to win and hit most 180s / M.Smith to win and most 180s 13/2 paddypower

Smith Vs Dobey semi final then. I'm going to need for Smith to drop that level abit like he did against Ross Smith. He has bursts of such great Darts with ease. 50/1 winner if Dobey can beat him but I must admit, I'm not expecting it now. If Smith was going to go out, it would  have been early in the tournament and I fully expect him to win this event now.

Wright/Clayton will be a close one I reckon. Hopefully Clayton comes through and I reckon despite Cross hitting silly numbers, his level will drop in my opinion and MVG will go through for me. 

* There goes Clayton, after having about 6 darts minimum to be throwing for 6-4