** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Open Championship 2021

Fader

A massive 12 places with PP for this, but at 1/6th of the odds. You can get 11 places at 1/5th though, also. You want a good putter here and somebody who can play in the wind, with accurate driving.

2pts B.Koepka to win Open Championship 16/1 bet365
1pt e/w D.Berger to win Open Championship 50/1 skybet (11 places, 1/5th)
1pt e/w R.Fowler to win Open Championship 66/1 willhill (9 places, 1/5th)
1pt e/w H.English to win Open Championship 66/1 willhill (9 places, 1/5th)
1pt e/w I.Poulter to win Open Championship 75/1 bet365 (8 places, 1/5th)  

I think with it is worth looking back to the 2011 British open played at the same venue. Guys that had done well there in the past, did so for a reason. The course suited their eye, and the way they strike the ball.

The link to the leader board is here https://www.golfchannel.com/tours/pga-tour/2011/140th-open-championship

Interestingly Dustin Johnson and Phil Mickelson were 2nd and 3rd, behind Darren Clarke. SO this is not a golf course that buckles under power. Craft and skill will beat the bombers here. So really good iron players, people that hit great wedge shots, with skill around the greens are going to contend. Also, only 2 par fives, brings the rest of the field into closer contention.

SO for me two long shots are Johnson and Mickelson. Mickelson is 101 to 1. After his win at the PGA you gotta believe he thinks he can win here. I put Oosthuizen into the mix again (34-1), with Colin Morikawa (35-1), and Higgo at 95-1. I think Koepka is ready to make a serious run at it as well, and at 17-1 worth a punt.

I think this is a very close tournament, with a bunched leader board. 1 day or afternoon of wind will rip this wide open.

Edited by neilovan

Odd to see Mickelson blow out yesterday. 10 over is a stinker. only had R50 on him (2 pounds 50) so not gonna break the bank, but seriously, that's a pile of pooh-pooh.

Can't see a leader being more than 10 under after 2 rounds. It should blow in the afternoon and it will make it tough. Oosthuizen grew up on the coast, and has played a lot in the wind. The secret is actually to hit the ball softer, with one more club.

For me, watching early coverage, the green speeds seems just right. A tad too slow yesterday, but almost perfect for scoring today. Greens look very good. Rory played reasonably yesterday, but his putting is just so poor (for a pro). He putts like a 6 handicapper. He missed on 2,3 and 4 yesterday and it took the wind outta his sails.

Morikowa looks exceptionally good. Shots gained in approach to green still the most important stat.

One outsider who has done exceptionally well to fight back from 3 over is Lucas Herbert. Think he is a top 10 possibility. The kid has some game.

Interesting 3 ball of Fritelli, Hughes and Harman. Collectively 13 under for the three of them. Obviously some kind of connection there, with players who are feeding off the energy of the group and all playing really well. 2.37 British time today.

Edited by neilovan

12 minutes ago, Fader said:

Berger in the money to make a small profit for me. Crazy to think Morikawa was 35/1 nice one.

Morikawa  was sensational. Jordan Speith is just a fantastic competitor, made of steel. Louis actually blew it yesterday, with a hideous day of  putting. Missed on 1, 2, eagle put on 7, missed at 8 when he saw the line from Morikawa, made on 9, missed 10,11,12,13 and hit a spanner monkey shot to the green on 14 (not possible for a pro to hit such a bad shot there). Has 1/2 an acre right of the flag to make birdie. Played with no confidence on the weekend. Needs a sports psychologist to get his head right, because he cannot win with this defeatist attitude.

Drive for show and putt for dough.

5 Of the best/worst Garcia, Scott, Westwood, McILroy, Duston Johnson. Just abysmal putting, essentially giving 3 shots away on the greens almost every round. I would oppose them at almost every opportunity, especially in strong field events. Their putting kills them, and they simply cannot compete, let alone win.

Edited by neilovan